Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sub €500 watch

Options
  • 10-05-2021 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭

Inspired by recent talk about "homages" i'm interested to know what people think is the best sub €500 watch. I'm going to insert the caveat here that it be something other than a Seiko or a Solas, because thats too easy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,117 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Quondam (Davosa Argonautic clone), ETA 2824-2 movement, proper Swiss diving watch. I paid €210 for mine brand new, including shipping. That was a few years ago though. A total steal.

img_6083-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Its hard to beat the quality of Steinhart for under €500 - the ocean one at €400 price point is a very well finished, reliable movement and good looking watch. It’s a real shame it’s not a bit more different in design to the obvious watch it copies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Honestly for the price this is pretty much unbeatable Steinhart-Ocean-Vintage-GMT-Wrist-shot.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

scwazrh wrote: »
    Its hard to beat the quality of Steinhart for under €500 - the ocean one at €400 price point is a very well finished, reliable movement and good looking watch. It’s a real shame it’s not a bit more different in design to the obvious watch it copies

I was thinking that when looking the flack Pangani is getting. Steinhart has straddled that homage line for a long time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

+1 for Steinhart, but came on here to suggest Seiko turtle until I saw the OP. Some of the micro brands are worth a look, Nth, someone on here has one. Do you want a diver or something more like a dress watch?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

In many ways you're spoilt for choice at the 500 euro mark - do you want complications, material or homage 1:1 likeness etc.?

You get tourbillons for 3-400 usd on sale, access to titanium (including grade 2), some very 1:1 homages at this price point - just not all 3 in the same package. So it depends…

I think for a strong contender of an original brand I'd vote for Beijing Beihai:
    https://bartels-watches.com/en/products/bwf-beijing-watch-beihai
    395 euro so you have servicing costs left over too - 3/4 plate, in-house movement, gold (plated) chatons and relatively decent finishing for the price all in a slim package that isn't a direct homage of anything else.

edit: put in photos:

Beijing-Watch-Factory-Beihai-BG010001_1024x1024.jpg

Beijing-Watch-Factory-Beihai-BG010001-Werk_1024x1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

^ The round date window isn't to my taste but overall that's a very smart looking watch TF.

If you like big divers, you can't really go wrong with the Sharkmasters from OceanX

Here is the James Cameron homage, the OceanX Sharkmaster 1000 SMS1012 at about €399 iirc, but seems forever sold out. Awesome for the money:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Have to also agree with Steinhart.

It depends how strict we are being with the €500 but if I was going new I would go with this:

2HKShf0l.jpg

OR, go second hand at get this (which would be what I would choose)

E8jVceTl.jpg

Steinhart seems to be be a popular choice, and having owned 4 different versions at different stages it is easy to see why.

Steinhart gets my vote too. Another big benefit of them is that they don't depreciate like a brick like most other watches in this price class. I had one myself, the Ocean One 41 Green. Bought and sold for around the €260 mark if I remember right. A lot of watch for the money. Had a proper Swiss automatic 2824-2 movement too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Time wrote: »
    Inspired by recent talk about "homages" i'm interested to know what people think is the best sub €500 watch. I'm going to insert the caveat here that it be something other than a Seiko or a Solas, because thats too easy.

I don't really get that caveat. I mean it's all going to be subjective opinion anyway so why exclude a couple of brands from the start?

A more interesting caveat might be to exclude all out and out homages. I know that with most watches they take some design inspiration from other brands but I'm really thinking of Steinhart and similar.

Anyway out of my own collection (watches I've got direct experience of) I'll pick the Hamilton Khaki Field mechanical which I bought on Chrono24 brand new & delivered (another rule to apply) for €365. It's a subjective judgement based on my own caveats (as stated above).

I don't really get that caveat. I mean it's all going to subjective opinion anyway so why exclude a couple of brands from the start?

Well it's the OP's prerogative, innit? If you want to start a thread with under €500 Seikos, work away :D

unkel wrote: »
    Well it's the OP's prerogative, innit? If you want to start a thread with under €500 Seikos, work away :D

Excluding Seiko as 'too easy' gets you a thread where Steinhart becomes the easy option. I have one myself (as well as a couple of Seikos) but I'd still go for the Hamilton because it ticks more of my subjective boxes.

Not interested in starting my own thread, I'd rather bend the rules on someone else's. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I think we would need more information to narrow it down and define best. What kind of watch? Auto or quartz? Braclet or strap?

My gut feeling is buy a casio duro and spend the extra 425 euro on booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I don't really get that caveat. I mean it's all going to be subjective opinion anyway so why exclude a couple of brands from the start?

A more interesting caveat might be to exclude all out and out homages. I know that with most watches they take some design inspiration from other brands but I'm really thinking of Steinhart and similar.

Anyway out of my own collection (watches I've got direct experience of) I'll pick the Hamilton Khaki Field mechanical which I bought on Chrono24 brand new & delivered (another rule to apply) for €365. It's a subjective judgement based on my own caveats (as stated above).

The rationale was the seiko would be the only answer otherwise, had forgotten about Steinhart though and probably should have excluded them too.

Would agree on the Khaki Field. Great little watch.

Time wrote: »
    The rationale was the seiko would be the only answer otherwise, had forgotten about Steinhart though and probably should have excluded them too.

Would agree on the Khaki Field. Great little watch.

I agree you would certainly have had quite a few people picking Seikos but 'the only answer'? I doubt it.

If the object is to make people think and come up with less obvious choices then excluding well loved brands or categories like 'divers' is one way to go I suppose but it will mean people aren't necessarily picking their 'best sub-€500 watch'.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

IMG_2919_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1603899802

What about a Mitchell Timepieces Raider? On sale for $399 at the minute and there are only 2 left in white.

I have the black and love it

Interesting thread, and a timely one for me too.

I was considering buying one of the Ocean Ones (either the black or vintage military) as a present for a friend of mine. I'm sure he would love it, but my concern would be that would you get snobs who would think he was a fake/cheap/poser for wearing it? Would I be better getting him something else that is not an "homage"?

Such a concern would not bother me at all (I wore an F-91W for years in the office despite the terrorist jibes ha) but its a gift for someone else so worth considering, don't want to give someone something if you'll get pricks trying to embarrass him.

I agree you would certainly have had quite a few people picking Seikos but 'the only answer'? I doubt it.

I meant it more figuratively, but for build quality etc.. Seiko are up there in that bracket on several models.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

Hmm. €500 won't get the most elegant watch, or the most complex complications, or the best dive watch.

You know what it will get? The best rough 'n' tumble watch.

G-Shock 5610. Solar powered, radio-controlled. Never needs winding, charging, battery changes or time setting. Tough as old boots. Cheap enough that losing/breaking it wouldn't be a disaster.

And enough change for a few meals out (when the world is back to normal).

• Advertisement

Interesting thread, and a timely one for me too.

I was considering buying one of the Ocean Ones (either the black or vintage military) as a present for a friend of mine. I'm sure he would love it, but my concern would be that would you get snobs who would think he was a fake/cheap/poser for wearing it? Would I be better getting him something else that is not an "homage"?

Such a concern would not bother me at all (I wore an F-91W for years in the office despite the terrorist jibes ha) but its a gift for someone else so worth considering, don't want to give someone something if you'll get pricks trying to embarrass him.

You sound like an awesome friend - do you know your friend well? Because for a lot of guys who like watches - a watch is a very personal thing (it would be like giving a lady friend some earrings…that she might be wearing every day).

My wife knows not to get me a watch ever - since I would have veeeeery particular tastes and ideas of what I like - having said that I have gifted a male friend a watch both for a birthday because I knew he is the type of guy who loves any gift and isn't a "watch guy".

So knowing your audience will be important - if they don't care much about watches would a different gift be more appreciated? If they really love their watches they may have a clear idea of what they like/don't like.

Unless he's said "oh man I'd love a Steinhart Ocean One" I wouldn't risk getting such a "large value" gift for them.

To answer your direct question though - anyone who would "look down" on someone for wearing a Steinhart or even a Pagani etc. isn't worth your or your friend's time. It probably won't be considered haute horology but a Steinhart isn't claiming to be.

There may be a possibility that someone is genuinely interested in seeing your friend's "Rolex" and there may be a tiny bit of awkwardness (for some people) if they need to explain what a homage brand/model is vs say a copy - but frankly most people don't comment on watches I wear - the last time someone commented on my watch (Tudor Pelagos) was while in an airport security line and the TSA agent mentioned nice watch and flashed his Blancpain Fifty Fathoms - two WIS passing one another with a nod and smile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

tjhook wrote: »
    Hmm. €500 won't get the most elegant watch, or the most complex complications, or the best dive watch.

You know what it will get? The best rough 'n' tumble watch.

G-Shock 5610. Solar powered, radio-controlled. Never needs winding, charging, battery changes or time setting. Tough as old boots. Cheap enough that losing/breaking it wouldn't be a disaster.

And enough change for a few meals out (when the world is back to normal).
    I'd probably be looking G Shock in this category to be honest. My square is my only affordable watch.

IIRC the rechargeable battery does have a finite life though, 10 years from memory?

Thirdfox wrote: »
    You sound like an awesome friend - do you know your friend well? Because for a lot of guys who like watches - a watch is a very personal thing (it would be like giving a lady friend some earrings…that she might be wearing every day).

My wife knows not to get me a watch ever - since I would have veeeeery particular tastes and ideas of what I like - having said that I have gifted a male friend a watch both for a birthday because I knew he is the type of guy who loves any gift and isn't a "watch guy".

So knowing your audience will be important - if they don't care much about watches would a different gift be more appreciated? If they really love their watches they may have a clear idea of what they like/don't like.

Unless he's said "oh man I'd love a Steinhart Ocean One" I wouldn't risk getting such a "large value" gift for them.

To answer your direct question though - anyone who would "look down" on someone for wearing a Steinhart or even a Pagani etc. isn't worth your or your friend's time. It probably won't be considered haute horology but a Steinhart isn't claiming to be.

There may be a possibility that someone is genuinely interested in seeing your friend's "Rolex" and there may be a tiny bit of awkwardness (for some people) if they need to explain what a homage brand/model is vs say a copy - but frankly most people don't comment on watches I wear - the last time someone commented on my watch (Tudor Pelagos) was while in an airport security line and the TSA agent mentioned nice watch and flashed his Blancpain Fifty Fathoms - two WIS passing one another with a nod and smile :)

Yeah I know he'd love it, but I'll show him whatever I order him before I pay just to be 100%. He's not a watch guy he is starting a new job/career so it's a gift for that. My worry is that he will be delighted with it, and then some killjoy would rain on his parade, very unlikely I suppose. I was just thinking about when I worked in his new industry there was more than a few rich daddy snobs, although I suppose that kind of "banter" is classified as bullying now and not the done thing. I'm overthinking it, I think!

My worry is that he will be delighted with it, and then some killjoy would rain on his parade, very unlikely I suppose.

I sold my Steinhart after someone asked me was it the new model submariner.I explained to them it was a homage watch etc but at the time it felt like I was wearing a fake .

I sold my Steinhart after someone asked me was it the new model submariner.I explained to them it was a homage watch etc but at the time it felt like I was wearing a fake .

When you're explaining you're losing.

I'd just say 'no it's a Steinhart'. If they asked what a Steinhart was I'd tell them it's a German watch that has a quality Swiss movement.

It’s not all Steinharts though that are homages .I had a lovely steinhart that I sold as it was just a bit too big but quality wise it’s was very high .Unitas 6498 movement nicely decorated, lovely crocodile leather strap and engraved deployant. Cost around €450 , Great value.

[IMG][/img]ICvXb6s.jpg

igi5kTq.jpg

It’s not all Steinharts though that are homages .I had a lovely steinhart that I sold as it was just a bit too big but quality wise it’s was very high .Unitas 6498 movement nicely decorated, lovely crocodile leather strap and engraved deployant. Cost around €450 , Great value.

Very nice for €450

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

Mjpg[/img]

I had one of those myself. I recall it to be a lovely “buttery” winding watch. But at 44mm and wearing like a 48mm! Didn’t last too long.

893bet wrote: »
    I had one of those myself. I recall it to be a lovely “buttery” winding watch. But at 44mm and wearing like a 48mm! Didn’t last too long.

44mm! thats huge for a more classically styled watch, especially if it wears bigger. Must be a limited enough market for it on that basis alone.

• Advertisement

Just like on the starlight - you’d be surprised how large the 38mm seems on the wrist. Since the Steinhart has a thin bezel too the dial takes up as much space as say a 46 or 48mm diver might with a chunky bezel. For the Starlight the design decision was made to give as much space over to the aventurine dial as possible hence minimal bezels - but I can understand why on a 44mm classic watch (and the Unitas really is a pocket watch movement suitable for 50mm pocket watches) would wear very large on a wrist (whereas a 44mm diver with say the same dial area as maybe a 38mm Starlight will seem fine on the wrist).

It’s why a 38mm diver with a chunky bezel can seem toy like too since it would have maybe a 34mm dress watch dial effectively.

Advertisement