Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitz's Youtube Channel

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be fair CT in the new watch collector world Tudor are very much seen by many as a stepping stone to the big brother. In the wider non watch weirdo world of people walking into a jewellers and buying a "good watch" that wouldn't be in play to nearly the same degree. As for value I'd agree with Fitz on that score. For around half the price you'd get a "better" chrono with a recognisable name that wears better. TBH I prefer the look of the Tudor over the Daytona, much of it because I don't like three register chronos. Well I did, from the dial view(though agree the hands are wrong IMHO) and other reviews didn't get across the unnecessary bulk, again IMH, of the Tudor the way Fitz' spot did(though Jenni Elle's review alluded to it, her being of the itty bitty wrist).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Somebody online put if very well, I forget who to give them proper credit.

"New Tudor is old Rolex".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fitz II wrote: »
    Make the hands smaller and you seriously effect legibility like on a Daytona (very difficult to tell the time on a Daytona)
    That's one aspect where the vintage ones were better IMH. The ones you looked at in your Pride and Pinion visit are more legible than the current models.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

These are all expensive watches, thats why I am hard on them. For 5k I would expect a thinner chrono movement. Watch reviews are so saccharine sweet and positive in general, any time I get a watch I am not happy with I wonder why the negative aspects are not pushed.

Absolutely, if your spending that sort of money if should tick all the boxes

I'd say reviewers aren't pushing the negatives because they don't own the watches and are afraid they wont get future watches for review

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Well it is really, I dont know why anyone would buy this watch which is a unsubtle nod to the vintage Daytona without actually being a daytona fan? This watch was designed to extract the money from Daytona fans who cant afford or cant get a Daytona with what is in my opinion a vastly inferior watch.

Well presumably 'a Daytona fan' likes their chronos with three sub-dials (just like Paul Newman's) and wouldn't be satisfied with just two.

Anyone who want to fly under the radar would be better without such a large shiny watch. A Daytona is far easier to get away with, much less in your face. My opinion would be the Chrono fan should go to the speedmaster, its more its own thing and wears much better. I am a big tudor fan, I have had three of them now. Price is what you pay value is what you get, this Tudor offers a more palatable price (but only to those in the rolex mindset anyway, as 5k is hardly a bargain) but its offers no value for that price.

No €5k isn't a 'bargain' AD price but it's still competitive with say the Breitling Premier B01 which if you discount the non- screw down pushers is the watch closest to it in style and movement.

The Tudor is 2mm thicker than a daytona. Daytona is famous for fitting a nice chrono movement into a slim profile. The tudor movement is a big yolk they had to move the dial closer to the crystal to get the 0.4mm improvement over the old Chrono. But you are not wrong the case design is very blunt sided and straight adding to the thickness. But its not just perceived thickness.

Right my mistake, the Daytona is 12.5mm.

That actually doesn't bother me. Those hands are a tudor staple at this stage and I like them. Its a 45 minute register and a running seconds. If the chrono is running you can judge seconds anyway and as its only 45 minutes the obscuring of the subdials will only be for short periods. Make the hands smaller and you seriously effect legibility like on a Daytona (very difficult to tell the time on a Daytona) and the lume is decreased which will equally have people giving out. Its one of those pick you poison decisions.

Well to me if you want a chrono complication and the minute sub-dial is obscured for about 40 minutes in every 24 hours that's a serious design flaw.

Well to me if you want a chrono complication and the minute sub-dial is obscured for about 40 minutes in every 24 hours that's a serious design flaw.

Its honestly not that bad. All Chronos have the issue to a greater or lesser degree, some even have thick hands (espically the minute hand, giving it more oppertunity per hour to be an annoyance) like your seiko chrono which are worse (comparison below).

Just to be pedantic, while it may be 40 minutes every 24 hours where the hour hand obscures some part of the right hour sub reg, 20 of those minutes are in the 2 - 4am time period when you are unlikely to be timing anything, your seiko chrono is obscured for much more of the waking hours with that sub dial arrangement. Also there are only a few minutes a day where the sub reg hand is fully obscured meaning the rest of the time you can read it with a little more effort, and if you cant see it at all you can use where the hour hand intersects the subreg to read it.

Serious design flaw makes it sound a bit dramatic, and a vostock owner like me would call it a feature, or charming idiosyncrasy.

IMG-0017.jpg

555111.JPG

On a side note look like I will hit 100 subs today. Must arrange a give away (a real one).

Serious design flaw makes it sound a bit dramatic, and a vostock owner like me would call it a feature, or charming idiosyncrasy.

Well my Seiko cost less than €100 new so it can be forgiven.

On a side note look like I will hit 100 subs today. Must arrange a give away (a real one).

Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Well done Fitz! You're making some excellent content, much better to see someone who's not necessarily chasing the immediacy with more bombastic types of reviews!

Latest Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph

God damn that watch looks good in the vid, love it.

https://youtu.be/iR2SqyjdQrQ

Oh yes Number 5 and number 3 won the watches check the vid page (colm18 and duckmusic whoever you guys are on here?)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Wohoo! I'll take the Patek, cheers Fitz.

;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

colm18 wrote: »
    Wohoo! I'll take the Patek, cheers Fitz.

;-)

Good choice. Ducksmusic will have to select from the beaters left over.

Damn that AP gets better every time I see it. Not sure I could wear it. As it’s got too much wrist presence for my liking. Maybe I could on a strap. But half the point of an AP is in the bracelet. But it really is a a stunner.

Sneak peek of tomorrows vid.

PXL-20210618-192125469.jpg

Latest Review The Zenith Chronomaster Sport with many thanks to Mr. Cyrus for lending me this lovely watch.

https://youtu.be/vBn45aIBrc0

• Advertisement

Good comparison-review Fitz. Thanks to yourself and Mr. Cyrus.

I also learned that the Daytona has asymmetric lugs. :eek: :) I did not notice that before at all and I've had a few of them in the hand. That Zenith is a nice watch alright. I'd far prefer it over the Tudor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

The motion of the zenith's second hand was interesting, not what I'm used to seeing on a mechanical watch. Very fair and objective review I thought.

=Wibbs;117460266]I also learned that the Daytona has asymmetric lugs. :eek: :) I did not notice that before at all and I've had a few of them in the hand.

You can count in weeks on your hands how long I have known that, and I have thousands of hours wearing one, but once you see it its so obvious. A sign of good design I suppose.

The zenith is a tasty watch and I am not easily impressed.

I'm conflicted between the Zenith and the Daytona, suppose I will just have to get both. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Really enjoyed the comparison Fitz, thanks to @Cyrus for lending the watch.
    Enjoyed the 1/10sec timing and it makes it a nice option for athletics/swimming in notional terms at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Don’t make for about the IWC yet as I might cry :-)

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

You can count in weeks on your hands how long I have known that, and I have thousands of hours wearing one, but once you see it its so obvious. A sign of good design I suppose.

The zenith is a tasty watch and I am not easily impressed.

El primero movement is impressive (plus the history behind saving the movement during the quartz crisis).

For my graduation watch it came down to triple date zenith or a speedy moonphase - the zenith was a little too expensive for me at the time (even with the BT employee discount) and no regrets about getting a speedy - but will probably end up with a triple calendar el primero at some point (they can go for rather cheap on the second hand market actually).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,709 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Another good one. The "who should buy this" is really turning into the trademark of your channel, Fitz. Kind of a unique selling point. I like it a lot.

Nice opinion piece video Fitz.

However my opinion, for what it's worth, is that it is an ugly design. Hate the segmented bezel, the diamond indices and the roman numerals. You said it it's a 'mishmash'. An over-priced ****ter as a certain Aussie Youtuber would say.

The segmented bezel seems to be referencing a 50's Rolex/Tudor design I've seen a few times(but fecked if I can find a pic), though the overall design was more balanced in the older one IMHO because of the proportion of bezel to dial and watch. Plus it was of course a much smaller watch. 35mm IIRC. Which simply wouldn't work today. There's the hint of a tint of the OysterQuartz going on too. I would say that's more in play than the Royal Oak, at least directly.

However my opinion, for what it's worth,

CT you know how much I value your opinion.

Is not overpriced at all, and non diamond versions can be had close to 2k, its very good value for the money. Obviously it not aimed at people who dont like how it looks, but its no sh1tter. Having actually worn the watch I find it rather nice and I think it would make a great entry level watch for a budding collector of quality watches.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    The segmented bezel seems to be referencing a 50's Rolex/Tudor design I've seen a few times(but fecked if I can find a pic), though the overall design was more balanced in the older one IMHO because of the proportion of bezel to dial and watch. Plus it was of course a much smaller watch. 35mm IIRC. Which simply wouldn't work today. There's the hint of a tint of the OysterQuartz going on too. I would say that's more in play than the Royal Oak, at least directly.

Agreed Wibbs there is a certain amount of oyster quartz in there and the old Tudor oyster prince, enough said that it certainly draws its design from other sources I am trying not to draw comparisons from watches viewers may not have seen, doing that makes the vids very didactic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nice opinion piece video Fitz.

However my opinion, for what it's worth, is that it is an ugly design. Hate the segmented bezel, the diamond indices and the roman numerals. You said it it's a 'mishmash'. An over-priced ****ter as a certain Aussie Youtuber would say.

I tend to agree on the 3 points you made about the design. Personally I don't think a diamond has any place on a mens watch. Reminds me of mens diamond stud earring. Some people love it though. The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same stuff.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    I tend to agree on the 3 points you made about the design. Personally I don't think a diamond has any place on a mens watch. Reminds me of mens diamond stud earring. Some people love it though. The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same stuff.

Yeah not a fan of diamonds myself. But we dont mind the rubies and sapphire on a display back. However times are changing and that sort of thing is getting more and more fashionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm not a fan of roman numerals but the last watch I bought has roman numerals. It only needs to make sense to the person buying the watch

This one should get the blood pumping

https://youtu.be/VRx0nHyJTuE

Stop being treated like carp by Rolex ADs, buy Omega.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Dolphinitely, it’s awful fishy business with Rolex, you’re only codding yourself.

Or just for the Halibut buy Tudor and get value for money. Seaweed rather hold out hope of a RRP sports rolex no matter how sick to the gills we are of it. I blame the flippers.

I sea what ye have done there

Carpe diem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I was ring shopping with the Mrs recently and was offered a "luxury watch" consultation appointment in Keane's Limerick a couple of weeks ago(the benefit of wearing 893's former VC).

Put it on the long finger as medical stuff is mounting up and a trip abroad for surgery could be in the offing. But it was intimated that aside from Rolex, if I'd bought the ring there and then that waiting list for almost anything else wouldn't be an issue.

Didn't buy from them in the end, had a far better sales experience a few doors down in Matthew Stephens and saved a couple of grand on a far nicer ring too. If only they carried Tudor or Omega!

There is no list for anything else really. Just Rolex, a few select Patek and a few select AP and 1 Omega. Tudor seem to be coming available.

Suggest you would like the new omega snoopy and again you will meet a wall. All they were saying is we can get you any watch except one that’s a waitlist. Salesman’s tactic to make it seem like all watches are in demand and they are doing you a favour and hopefully you walk out the door feeling thankful that they sold you a new omega sea master 300 for full RRP.

Omega Seamaster Professional - an excellent watch from a lagging Brand

I've no problem with Omega, just buy the one(s) I like.

I really enjoyed this one. Some really good talking points.

I really liked the Omega used to be the brand that was someone’s “first good watch”. That’s so true. From there they would then eventually trade up to Rolex etc.

With Tudor now starting to fill that “first good watch space” is there a chance that that same person will now miss the “omega step on the horological ladder” entirely and transition straight from a Tudor up to Rolex/JLC/BP etc.

That in a nutshell is why Omega are under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Certainly with me you have hit the nail on the head there, first Tudor 18 months ago, have been on the fence about buying an omega since - money is sitting there, but decided I’ll just wait until the new year and buy the Rolex. Wouldn’t rule out a Seamaster on rubber as a semi beater at some point but right now I’d rather wait and get a sub. But then again this is the only place I really read watches so I’m a product of this environment!

Damn you all!!

• Advertisement

I have never really met an Omega I didnt appreciate. But thats it, where does Omega fit in now on the collecting journey? They are far too good to use as beaters, but not good enough to be grail pieces. They are sorta a watch you get while you are waiting for something else. The one night stand, or summer romance of watches. What they need to be is create a really good watch at 3k and then limit supply, a loss leader of sorts. Trim 90% of the range and simplify the catalogue. Make a rule that a special edition is no more than 250 pieces worldwide ever and then work on the marketing and influencers to get the brand back on track.

"They are sorta a watch you get while you are waiting for something else. "

I'm waiting for my next Omega.

Maybe a Speedie MkII.

Gonna take my time............................

Defo take your time, a MkII is for life not just for christmas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement