Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitz's Youtube Channel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I think you should keep it! Looks very sophisticated on you and this watch might be going places.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

I like the variance of the table based on the watch. Little details make a review look professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I'd avoid phrases like "the model everyone wants". Everyone doesn't.

If the bracelet extension was "half a millimetre" it wouldn't be a lot of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I'd avoid phrases like "the model everyone wants". Everyone doesn't.

I have to aim the reviews at the people most likely to watch them, being Rolex heads or prospective buyers, and they are all looking for Pepsi's and Batmen etc. I dont think its a problem suggesting that the hard to get waiting list watches are the ones everyone wants, the thing speaks for itself. If I were doing a tudor video I might say it of the new chrono or in omega about the new snoopy or the ed white. I dont literally mean everyone in the world. I have heard that there are some people who dont even like watches at all....peculiar world.
    If the bracelet extension was "half a millimetre" it wouldn't be a lot of use.

Yeah you make little errors and mispeak things like mm rather than cm like that on a single take but I find the single take feel more personal and genuine, and I missed it in post, thanks for paying close attention appreciate the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

Great credit to you for being brave enough to enter into the crowded and competitive space of watch reviews on YouTube. In my opinion, you are more than holding your own with the others. Apart from your calmness, what really comes across is your honesty - especially as you have no ulterior motive considering you are not in the business of selling watches. Each review is very balanced, so it is very difficult to argue with any of the positives and negatives you highlight about each watch.

Only recommendation I have, that you might consider in future videos, would be to include a lume shot of the watch being reviewed, but I don't know how difficult this might be to do.

So, continue the great work and really appreciate the effort being made as I can imagine there is a lot of work and preparation needed to put one of these together.

Already subscribed and looking forward already to the next one.

• Advertisement

kostal2093 wrote: »
    Only recommendation I have, that you might consider in future videos, would be to include a lume shot

Thanks you for the encouraging words. You are the second person to mention the lume shot to me, I need to include that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I don’t know if you’re leaving it out on purpose but it would be nice to see the packaging as well.Not so much an unboxing but just what comes with the watch . We all know how a Rolex is presented but for the likes of the Lange & sohn it would be nice to see how it’s presented .

Sorry for the late upload, was hung over to fcuk yesterday.

Bulgari Octo Finissimo ultra Thin Titanium. Thank to Thirdfox for the lend of the watch. Didn't do the box or the lume it was long enough and there is no lume. Very interesting watch and something totally different.

The HD version will take another hour of so to process.

https://youtu.be/uEhyd5M02Xc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

Good review. You are lucky to have so many friends willing to loan you such high end pieces. You could have ended up spending 20 minutes talking about the box a Pagani comes in otherwise.

893bet wrote: »
    Good review. You are lucky to have so many friends willing to loan you such high end pieces. You could have ended up spending 20 minutes talking about the box a Pagani comes in otherwise.

I hope they dont mind me giving my opinions and I really appreciate the loan of these watches, I am much more into these high end watches and am really enjoying getting hands on with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Have you looked into ways of getting the channel suggested to people without going down the paid views route? I'd imagine it's a bit of a catch 22 situation where its very difficult grow a channel outside of your mates because youtube will only recommend to others if its getting a certain number of views but you can't get those views if you aren't getting recommended. I'd say many a quality YT channel has faltered here and yours is turning into a quality one. As I said previously, each video is a clear step up from the previous one. Another few videos and watchfinder will be trying to recruit you ;-)

Thanks, Its early days yet and just trying to get content in there first, and once I have some content I am happy with I will maybe drop the link in other watch forums I am on. Boards is a gentle enough place so its a good training ground. My aim with this is to get 1000 subscribers in the next 12 months, and hoping that it reaches a critical mass around 500 subs where the algorithim starts to suggest it. Anyway its more of a cathartic hobby for me than anything serious. I can see that the grind to get out content could become tiresome, dont know how these other guys do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

You should do a review of your AP RO Chrono. Photos never do justice to the level of finishing on them, a video would be a great way to show the quality of them.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the chrono pushers too (personally i found them to be disappointing, compared to Rolex and Patek)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Fitz II wrote: »
    I hope they dont mind me giving my opinions

Nope. Your unvarnished opinion is the strongest point of your channel imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭banie01

unkel wrote: »
    Nope. Your unvarnished opinion is the strongest point of your channel imho.

Totally agree.
    The absolute conviction and balance in your opinion is a huge part of what makes the videos compelling IMO.

Time wrote: »

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the chrono pushers too (personally i found them to be disappointing, compared to Rolex and Patek)

I have zero experience of them and likely never will on the AP.
    But is this due to cam operated chrono on the AP, versus vertical column wheel on the Rolex and pp?
    Or am I guessing arseways?

You should do a review of your AP RO Chrono. Photos never do justice to the level of finishing on them, a video would be a great way to show the quality of them.

I will do the RO fairly soon, its my baby so I want to be at the height of my powers before doing it. Its going to be hard to get across the finish on camera. Might do some cheaper watches next just to get my eye in on them. My vostock opinions are almost formed in my head so I think that next.
    banie01 wrote: »
    But is this due to cam operated chrono on the AP, versus vertical column wheel on the Rolex and pp?

WOuld have to research the exact specs but I know there are differences. My RO has screw down chrono pushers and they are extremely snappy and clicky. My daytona has a better feel, more smooth. Next time you are in dublin Banie pop into me and have a play around with the watches. Must organise a general meet up when the lockdown is fully released.

Maybe some people watch YT watch videos to get unbiased opinions but for me they're just entertainment. Someone speaking in monotone might be giving more objective information but if he/she isn't engaging or reviewing something I find boring, like JOMW doing his recent one on the Citizen Red Arrows AT, I click off.
    My favourites are Timeless & Caseback. Watch Gringa is amusing in small doses and Jenni's flirting with her huge male audience intriguing.
    Those ads for kitchen knives "taking the world by storm" are funny.

Maybe some people watch YT watch videos to get unbiased opinions but for me they're just entertainment. Someone speaking in monotone might be giving more objective information but if he/she isn't engaging or reviewing something I find boring, like JOMW doing his recent one on the Citizen Red Arrows AT, I click off.
    My favourites are Timeless & Caseback. Watch Gringa is amusing in small doses and Jenni's flirting with her huge male audience intriguing.
    Those ads for kitchen knives "taking the world by storm" are funny.

Some people watch reviews to learn about the watches, and some people watch reviews to learn about the reviewer. Plenty of choice out there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

banie01 wrote: »
    There's definitely a quality feel difference between cam and column wheel. The latter feeling better, but it can depend on a few variables like strength of springs in the pushers themselves, even the weight of the watch itself. EG a Heuer Bund with a column wheel while feeling more positive doesn't feel overall as "luxury" as a modern cam operated Speedmaster, because the speedy is the heavier watch. I suspect brand/model perception would factor too. I'd be willing to bet a couple of quid(cheap bastid that I am :D) that in a blind test perceived differences would be all over the place, like the way wine connoisseurs can be easily fooled by Lidl plonk in fancy vintage bottles. Still, overall I'd say the column wheel is the superior in feel. Cam was always the cheaper option in chrono movements.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

893bet wrote: »

Ironically Fitz didn't have time in that review to look at the Bulgari box - which contrary to the watch is both very thick/large and heavy :D
    I hope they dont mind me giving my opinions and I really appreciate the loan of these watches, I am much more into these high end watches and am really enjoying getting hands on with them.

Having these kinds of watches yourself means people are probably likely to be more comfortable sending out these pieces to you too :)

Have to say - I kinda agree on the pushers - the screwdown design was very cool, but the action itself I preferred say the Speedmaster, or - lol even 1963 - I think Banie may be on the right track with it being a design thing - and down to personal preference of course.
    I will do the RO fairly soon, its my baby so I want to be at the height of my powers before doing it. Its going to be hard to get across the finish on camera. Might do some cheaper watches next just to get my eye in on them. My vostock opinions are almost formed in my head so I think that next.

Thanks for offering to show me the RO - I was most impressed by the bracelet (some notes were taken :D not of the aesthetic design but of the engineering choices made). Btw in case you were interested the RO on the timegrapher (at T=0 (full wind)) was +0 dial up, -9 crown up and -4 dial down - I guess it runs close to -5/6 s/d.

I did take some macro shots of the RO too at 1:1 magnification, let me know if you'd like to get the images or if you'd like them shared on here - some fine fractal details on the waffle dial - *though* - interestingly on the minute hands it's not exactly "Grand Seiko" levels of clean (I wonder was it serviced in the meantime and made "dirtier" then?) - not that anyone is taking a loupe to a watch face of course (loupes and timegraphers - devil's tools unless you're using them professionally I suggest :P )

edit: one last thing that you may want to mention in reviews - personal suggestion - is to talk about the "feel" of certain things - one thing that really impressed me about the Bulgari was the feel of winding the crown - probably *the* smoothest automatic watch crown action I've ever felt - I'm not ashamed to say that the HZ5000a is very "gritty" in comparison. Similar to a Ferrari vs a Ford - maybe it is that slightly better gear shift feel that conveys a nicer feeling - i.e. blind test I'm sure 100% of people would prefer the feeling of the winding on the Bulgari vs an ETA automatic, HZ5000A or Omega or quite possibly the RO too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Some people watch reviews to learn about the watches, and some people watch reviews to learn about the reviewer. Plenty of choice out there.
    +1. Personally I'm not subbed to many watch reviewers. The two lads on here and a couple of others. Mainly because it's a different part of the hobby to mine and there are very few vintage type channels out there for all sorts of reasons. I have a few subbed watchmaker channels alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

But what are you learning apart from someone's personal opinion biased or unbiased? If it's a watch you're thinking of spending serious money on it comes down to aesthetic appeal (personal), specifications and ultimately wearing experience (personal). It's not Adrian's, Jodie's, Tim's, Oisín's or Fitz II's money you're spending.

If I want to learn about WW2 I read some history books written by respected historians. If I want to be entertained I watch a Mark Felton YT video.

If I want to learn about WW2 I read some history books written by respected historians. If I want to be entertained I watch a Mark Felton YT video.
    For me that wouldn't be a great example CT as Felton's vids are very well researched and informative and often iconoclastic as far as received wisdom on the period is concerned and he wraps them up in well and in a short format. Whereas others of a similar vein can go on for an hour and halfway through you're running a warm bath and eyeing razor blades with disturbing intent. :D

Thirdfox please do post any photos you have. Yes the RO has seen service with watchfinder, but I will send it back to AP the next time. I am trying to take all the suggestion on boardand include them. One thing that is horrid on the RO is the date change its precise but feels weird. Boxes are something I am honestly trying to avoid. They dont photo well on my overhead camera setup I would need a wide angle lens which I must get. I find boxes a nuisance, something to be stored and something that adds nothing to the watch.

CT thanks for the input, not much I can do for people like yourself that dont like these sort of reviews, they are the kind that I enjoy, and the kind I have the time to make. I like to hear the from experienced impartial collectors when I am contemplating a purchase. But as I said there is plenty of choice out there for the history buff on one hand to the chap rubbing one out to Jenie Elle on the other.

the chap rubbing one out to Jenie Elle on the other.
    Which could ironically lead to thicker wrists and expulsion from her itty bitty wrist commitee. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

But what are you learning apart from someone's personal opinion biased or unbiased? If it's a watch you're thinking of spending serious money on it comes down to aesthetic appeal (personal), specifications and ultimately wearing experience (personal). It's not Adrian's, Jodie's, Tim's, Oisín's or Fitz II's money you're spending.

I think one thing that say a channel that looks at higher end watches that people really have to think about before considering buying is that the channel (when it's operating as it should) - can bring to light brands/watches that viewers might never have heard about - i.e. sure most people know your Rolex and Omegas - but do they know about Glashutte Originals, Jacquet Droz, Breguet or more eclectically - the Bulgaris, FP Journe, MB&F, Voutilainens?

No-one is going to be ordering a FP Journe off the internet after seeing a Watchfinder "advertorial" or Fitz's video (presumably! I'm not doubting your levels of persuasion Fitz :D ) - but it may spark an interest into researching further into an "unknown" brand.

@Fitz - actually in the Bulgari video - a picture or two of the world's thinnest auto chronograph, auto tourbillon, auto minute repeaters, auto perpetual calendars from Bulgari might be interesting in showing your viewers what else is in "this line" from Bulgari. Kinda like what CT is talking about - you'll be providing some useful information (that doesn't take too much of your time) but can lead viewers to independently start their own research into a brand/concept/model etc. For these kinds of "off the beaten path" brands some history (you discussed the Gerald Genta company buyout connection) may be rather interesting to "watch nerds".

It would be like getting an answer to "why would someone choose this when they could have bought a VC Overseas or Rolex Submariner for the same money?" - and delving into what makes an Octo "worth it" in someone's eyes - very much in line with your "who's this for? not for?" subjective take.
    Thirdfox please do post any photos you have. Yes the RO has seen service with watchfinder, but I will send it back to AP the next time. I am trying to take all the suggestion on boardand include them. One thing that is horrid on the RO is the date change its precise but feels weird. Boxes are something I am honestly trying to avoid. They dont photo well on my overhead camera setup I would need a wide angle lens which I must get. I find boxes a nuisance, something to be stored and something that adds nothing to the watch.

Here are some of the photos taken sized for web - originals at the links:

1:2 magnification:
    2vJrRcQh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2vJrRcQ.jpg - original file

Date window (1:1):
    NNMGeXwh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NNMGeXw.jpg

Crisp text:
    ct5vt1rh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ct5vt1r.jpg

Indices:
    y95SLpQh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/y95SLpQ.jpg

Hour hand probably needs a clean...:
    1Nd2JpQh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1Nd2JpQ.jpg

The verdict is in......Vostock Review, and apologies to Blanchy this was queued up yesterday.

https://youtu.be/6uGVpYS11TM

"Cost less than your shoes, but feels like it should cost less than your socks"

That line has honestly made me chuckle, a laconic bit of wordplay that really drives home your point and your opinion.

I've never had a Vostok and would pretty much fall into the category of the buyer who would snag one as a curio or a bit of militaria, so my own opinion of this one is coloured by my bias.
    That said, I really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

Novichok.

Advertisement