Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda recruitment 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Hot_Fuzz

The wait must be unbearable!

The worst thing is wondering every day if an offer is coming in haha best part is making a few friends along the campaign to go to templemore with (and getting the fitness test out of the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sazxox

Fair play! Any tips for us newbies ?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Hey folks first time applicant here so a quick query on the public jobs site when I log in step one on the application is to download a pdf when I download this form it just says 'please wait.. if this message is not eventually replaced by proper contents of the document, your pdf viewer may not be able to display this type of document'

Anyone else have this problem or know a solution? Step 2 is the online application which I am in the process of filling out now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

Hey folks first time applicant here so a quick query on the public jobs site when I log in step one on the application is to download a pdf when I download this form it just says 'please wait.. if this message is not eventually replaced by proper contents of the document, your pdf viewer may not be able to display this type of document'

Anyone else have this problem or know a solution? Step 2 is the online application which I am in the process of filling out now

I had to download the latest version of adobe reader, I then right clicked the link for the pdf and went to the ‘open with’ tab. I then clicked on the adobe reader I had just downloaded and it worked perfect.

Hope that works for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tutiefruite

Hot_Fuzz wrote: »
    The worst thing is wondering every day if an offer is coming in haha best part is making a few friends along the campaign to go to templemore with (and getting the fitness test out of the way)

Awwww Hot_Fuzz you big softy ya! I'm telling the others :P

Tis so true though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tiern11

First time poster here. Want to apply for AGS but only sitting my leaving in June. Will this stand against me/prevent me from applying? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭daniel1390

tiern11 wrote: »
    First time poster here. Want to apply for AGS but only sitting my leaving in June. Will this stand against me/prevent me from applying hi unfortunately tou wont be able to apply that hallened me last campaign

Unfortunately you wont be eligible to apply the same thing happened me last year applied lc year and was contacted saying I could npt be considered as no lc results, tou need them for the time you begin the campaign

Awwww Hot_Fuzz you big softy ya! I'm telling the others :P

Tis so true though! :)

Ah no you’re supposed to be in the 2018 board, no fair! Haha

• Advertisement

sazxox wrote: »
    Fair play! Any tips for us newbies ?? :)

Yeah get talking to any guards you know, get to know what’s expected in the job early and that’ll stand to you in the interviews. Practice patterns for the stage 1 test and use common sense from the point of view of a Garda on duty when doing the behavioral tests in stage 2.. otherwise get used to waiting for ages, it’s a long campaign but it pays off in the end and you learn loads during it if you’re in with the right people! Keep up the day job and keep all this on the DL as long as you can as employers and even clubs or voluntary organizations will treat you differently as time goes on.. start exercising now (wish I did) and pct will be a breeze rather than a struggle.. when you’re at the group tests and with other applicants the room will be silent so Defo worth striking up conversation and getting the banter going because everyone else usually wants someone to break the silence haha

Great - thanks a mill! My BF is a guard and my best friend is a sergeant so I'll be getting onto them asap!! Im not overly worried re the fitness, the verbal reasoning will be my biggest weakness, Im okay with the logical ones!! Hope they don't bring me down too much!!

Great - thanks a mill! My BF is a guard and my best friend is a sergeant so I'll be getting onto them asap!! Im not overly worried re the fitness, the verbal reasoning will be my biggest weakness, Im okay with the logical ones!! Hope they don't bring me down too much!!

Ah sure Jasus that’s a great start already! Definitely look into career services for the verbal reasoning so, they’re brilliant for it and the better you do the better your OOM is so it’ll make the process much faster too instead of just relying on what happens on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Hi guys, best of look to everyone in this new campaign whether its your first or second time applying, in my case its my third time applying so im hoping all goes well this year.

What stage did you make last time, any advice??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CillianCotter

How many pages were all of you guys application? Mine was 8 but I feel like it was missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭revenent

How many pages were all of you guys application? Mine was 8 but I feel like it was missing something?

9 pages on mine but one was blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CillianCotter

revenent wrote: »
    9 pages on mine but one was blank.
    Did you only have the questions on academic history, work history, volunteering and hobbies? And then the supplementary box?

same - 8 pages. haven't filled it in yet though.

daniel1390 wrote: »
    What stage did you make last time, any advice??

When i first applied in the 2017 campaign i got through stage 1 and got to stage 2 but failed one of the assessments called the job simulation exercices by 4 marks. So i applied again last year in the 2018 campaign got through stage 1, got to stage 2 but failed the job simulation exercises again only this time by 1 mark. So im hoping that the luck is on my side this year. My advice would be if your not sure about the aptitude tests in stage 1 dont just chance doing them go and do the careers services course i really recommend them, they are brilliant, they break the tests right down and really help you understand what to do, untill i done the course i didnt have a clue of them, they make you alot more confident doing them.

vardy98 what exactly does the job simulation exercise consist of??

hopefully this year is your year :)

• Advertisement

How difficult are the aptitude tests, should i get to stage 2 with the course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Does Carla come before or after graduation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

vardy98 wrote: »
    Hi guys, best of look to everyone in this new campaign whether its your first or second time applying, in my case its my third time applying so im hoping all goes well this year.

This will be my second time! Failed the supervised stage 2 last year!

Did you do a prep course last time?

What's Carla? I can't remember that from my application last year at all.. :o

I did, I got the online material and practised in my own time! I didn't do the course though. I personally felt that the material was fantastic for preparation for stage 2. I actually fell sort of only a few marks in the end and that was for the report writing.. I would recommend it 100%!

I did yeah, the course was really good, id really recommend it, its just this one assessment keeps catching me out.

What is Carla???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

sazxox wrote:
    What is Carla???

Euphemism for P 45.

Euphemism for P 45.

I see! Cheers!

So I understood, (I am open to correction on this!) that you must out line your work/jobs including terms of unemployment, after you finish school (if you didn't go to college!) If you went to college, then after you graduated.. I hope this answers your question..

oh really?? so you dont need to put down college or school jobs? Thats handy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭irishgirl91

Going to give it another go applying to AGS :rolleyes::D hopefully get across the line this time ;)

not been a year since their last recruitment campaign opened so we are lucky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭irishgirl91

oh really?? so you dont need to put down college or school jobs? Thats handy!!

It may be beneficial to put them down? it depends on your cv of course and what you have done since. Have a think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PPB2019

Hi Folks,

I have a family member interested in joining but he's only 18 and only sitting the Leaving Cert this June. I don't think he's eligible to apply until the Leaving is complete but i'm open to correction. Can anyone confirm this for me please?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

PPB2019 wrote:
    I have a family member interested in joining but he's only 18 and only sitting the Leaving Cert this June. I don't think he's eligible to apply until the Leaving is complete but i'm open to correction. Can anyone confirm this for me please?

They need to have completed the leaving first, results are a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 al1990

what did you get on the report writing last time man? I got 35

• Registered Users Posts: 18 User 1234

Hi Guys,

I am 27 years old and have currently worked in banking since I graduated from College. I am currently living / working in Toronto, Canada however I am really considering becoming a Garda when I come home. I have been thinking about it a lot for over a year now and I believe its the right career path from me. I have always thought Id be very good at the job.

1. I am just wondering has anyone else had a similar experience as myself in terms of working in chosen field for years and changing over completely?

2. Does anyone know when the next campaign will start and are they flexible on dates in case I have to fly home from Canada?

3. I know the age limit is 35 but at 27 years old am I too old to apply? I heard it is all young people in Templemore.

All thoughts and answers are greatly appreciated.

Crafty_Veteran
    No you would be going in at the perfect age. I passed out of templemore in 2018, the average age was between 25-30. I worked in the same line of work for 10 years before joining, best decision I ever made.
    Best of luck to all.

It may be beneficial to put them down? it depends on your cv of course and what you have done since. Have a think about it

I disagree to be honest. Personally I don't see the need in listing your part time jobs during school and/or college. I just put down what was asked for.

Taken from the application form, read the part in bold..
    Give below, in date order (starting with your current employer), full particulars of all employment (including any
    periods of unemployment) between the date of leaving school or college and the present date. No period
    between these dates should be unaccounted for. 'Emp. No.:' 1 should be your 1st employment at the bottom of
    the list, up to the top of the list which should be your current, or most recent, employment

This is just my opinion though! Everyone is free to do what they want! :)

PPB2019 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Thanks

Fairly certain he’ll have to wait until next year as you have to put your leaving cert results on Form A to be eligible for the campaign

Fairly certain he’ll have to wait until next year as you have to put your leaving cert results on Form A to be eligible for the campaign

What else is on form A do you know? :)

• Advertisement

What else is on form A do you know? :)

That’ll be all essential info like your current & past addresses, your career & education history, etc. but pretty sure that’s the first thing you fill to apply like the big pdf?

You won’t hear about most of that stuff until your interview in stage 3 anyway but it’s a good bit easier than Form B where you have to have alllllll your family details and addresses too haha

That’ll be all essential info like your current & past addresses, your career & education history, etc. but pretty sure that’s the first thing you fill to apply like the big pdf?

You won’t hear about most of that stuff until your interview in stage 3 anyway but it’s a good bit easier than Form B where you have to have alllllll your family details and addresses too haha

Ohh apologies, I just thought that was the application form didnt know it was form A :)

Actually question on the vetting, do they look for cousins now??

Ohh apologies, I just thought that was the application form didnt know it was form A :)

Actually question on the vetting, do they look for cousins now??

Vetting is up to and including your aunts and uncles. When you get to templemore you bring a list of up to your first cousins with you but think that’s for stationing rather than vetting so you’re not out near a load of relatives!

Vetting is up to and including your aunts and uncles. When you get to templemore you bring a list of up to your first cousins with you but think that’s for stationing rather than vetting so you’re not out near a load of relatives!

Ohh thank god - cause all mine are in different countries!! I have a feeling my vetting will take a looooong time if I make it that far!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SeanD123

Hey, first time applying for the gardaí, just wondering how difficult the aptitude tests are?

SeanD123 wrote: »
    Hey, first time applying for the gardaí, just wondering how difficult the aptitude tests are?

Start looking over the likes of logical reasoning and verbal reasoning. They have a few different types of tests so not sure what’ll come up this year yet but Career Services and a few others are usually pretty good with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

SeanD123 wrote: »

The best answer would be it's not easy, else you would have everyone passing it, and every stage of recruitment there will be people that won't move to the next stage.

However, you can look online and see similar tests, and try to practice them and prepare.

Ultimately, just give it your best shot. You don't have to get every one right. Do your best, give it your all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Sorry folks complete newbie here and struggling to find information about the process. I applied last week so what is the next thing to expect? Presume nobody will hear anything until after the recruitment has closed? Have been looking at some of the online courses they are very good

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SeanD123

Sorry folks complete newbie here and struggling to find information about the process. I applied last week so what is the next thing to expect? Presume nobody will hear anything until after the recruitment has closed? Have been looking at some of the online courses they are very good

Hey, yeah I'd say next thing we hear will be regarding the aptitude tests, think they provide familiarisation material before the actual tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Won't be till after recruitment closes. And then Stage 1 will involve online tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kevin17W

3pm on 24th April 2019 Closing date for receipt of application forms

9th May to 16th May 2019 Stage 1 On-line Assessments

June / July 2019 Stage 2 Assessment Centre
    Initially the top group of candidates from Stage 1 will be invited to Assessment Centre in late June. Further groups may be invited from time to time as required.

August 2019 Stage 3 – Interviews and other assessments.
    Initially the top group of candidates from Stage 2 will be invited to Interviews and other assessments in August 2019. Further groups may be invited from time to time as required.

September 2019 An Garda Síochána Clearance stage to commence for those successful at Stage 3 in PAS in August 2019.

Mid-2020
    It is envisaged that successful applicants from this campaign may be considered for intakes into the Garda College from mid-2020 however, this is subject to change*

Taken from info booklet

• Advertisement
Advertisement