Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

CramCycle wrote: »
    The funny thing is though, it is, as far as I can tell, not easier, in fact, its possibly more work through the voucher company but like all great Snake oil salesman, they make you think its easier, its certainly alot more work for HR from what I can see.

It's for accounting purposes as far as I can see - one4all or whoever would be set up as a vendor.

It's a load of pox because the bike shop loose a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Bought my current bike (Trek Domane with Tiagra groupset) under the BTW scheme in September 2014. While I've kept my bike in good nick, it has done considerable mileage and I'd like to upgrade to a better groupset and possible disc brakes. Am I eligible now to get another bike under BTW or do I have to wait until September this year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

D13exile wrote: »
    Bought my current bike (Trek Domane with Tiagra groupset) under the BTW scheme in September 2014. While I've kept my bike in good nick, it has done considerable mileage and I'd like to upgrade to a better groupset and possible disc brakes. Am I eligible now to get another bike under BTW or do I have to wait until September this year?

Eligible now unless your employer has specific rules as the scheme is within the tax year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

It's for accounting purposes as far as I can see - one4all or whoever would be set up as a vendor.

It's a load of pox because the bike shop loose a fortune

I can't see why employers think that voucher companies make the scheme easier. All they have to do is transfer the funds directly to the bike shop (following receipt of quotation), set the repayments up in your payroll system and that's it. It gives the buyer a lot more purchasing power. I'm sure most bike shops would rather give discount to their customers than pay 10% commission to a voucher company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

jos28 wrote: »
    I can't see why employers think that voucher companies make the scheme easier. All they have to do is transfer the funds directly to the bike shop (following receipt of quotation), set the repayments up in your payroll system and that's it. It gives the buyer a lot more purchasing power. I'm sure most bike shops would rather give discount to their customers than pay 10% commission to a voucher company.

Each new vendor to larger companies usually requires a lot of admin, that's where the one4all shower of bastards people come in. It's a complete rip for the bike stores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭El Vino

Slightly different I'm in the UK but I convinced my company to operate it directly but they would only deal with one bike shop. Luckily that bike shop was a Cube, Marin and Specialized dealer so they had a good range. Bike shop gave staff 15% off retail as long as company paid by Bank Transfer before bike was collected. Worked great until one pain is the ass kept kicking off that he had to have a certain bike they didn't stock. Then HR took over the scheme from Finance and handed it to a voucher company.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭cave_dweller

Hi all,
    Looking for a bit of advice please. I picked out a bike + accessories from a store in Dublin City in early June and then applied for the voucher through the cycle to work scheme and got it (it’s done through Travelhub) within a few days. I gave the shop a call and was told it would take a week and a bit for the bike to arrive.... and I still have no bike. It’s been 5+ weeks now and they keep messing me around. Each week I’m told I’ll have it the following week etc.

Is there anyway I can use my voucher at another store? Or anything I can do here?

The delay is annoying but the bad service has irritated me more than anything.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Hi all,
    Looking for a bit of advice please. I picked out a bike + accessories from a store in Dublin City in early June and then applied for the voucher through the cycle to work scheme and got it (it’s done through Travelhub) within a few days. I gave the shop a call and was told it would take a week and a bit for the bike to arrive.... and I still have no bike. It’s been 5+ weeks now and they keep messing me around. Each week I’m told I’ll have it the following week etc.

Is there anyway I can use my voucher at another store? Or anything I can do here?

Thanks!

It depends on the scheme. One scheme in particular gives you a Pre-paid Visa card that you could buy a washing machine with if you wanted.

5 weeks isn’t crazy though. Brexit is causing a lot of retailers to switch away from UK based distributors, messing up supply chains. On top of that, the 2020 models are coming into stock next month, so it can be tricky getting the old models from the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Hi all,

Thanks!

Check with your employer I guess.
    Is the voucher transferrable to other retailers?
    In the eyes of the BTW Scheme I don't think it matters who the retailer is as long as they are tax compliant etc.

It just boils down to whether you can use the existing voucher in another retailer or if you have to go through the process again. Only your employer/HR will know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hi lads I applied for cycle to work in my workplace over 4 months ago and I ky received my voucher last week due to hold ups. The bike I originally wanted is no longer for sale and I don't fancy anything else in Halfords.

The voucher I received is a one4all single use collection card. Can I use this in another bike shop or is it tied to Halfords??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Hi lads I applied for cycle to work in my workplace over 4 months ago and I ky received my voucher last week due to hold ups. The bike I originally wanted is no longer for sale and I don't fancy anything else in Halfords.

The voucher I received is a one4all single use collection card. Can I use this in another bike shop or is it tied to Halfords??
    A one4all voucher or card can be used in shops other than Halford or the place you got the quote. Did same myself 3 months ago after checking

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've deleted a few posts about abusing the scheme; for the record, you're not allowed sell your tax allowance to anyone else and using it to buy anything other than a bike is fraud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Apologies if there's already a thread for this. Possibly a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string" question, but how can I calculate bike to work scheme replayments?
    The company I work for request weekly repayments over a 10 month period, sobis it simply the ammount (1000)÷ weekly repayments over the 10 months (4×10).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    Apologies if there's already a thread for this. Possibly a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string" question, but how can I calculate bike to work scheme replayments?
    The company I work for request weekly repayments over a 10 month period, sobis it simply the ammount (1000)÷ weekly repayments over the 10 months (4×10).

BTW is calculated before tax. So your 100 repayment will really cost you much less, even 49 if you're on the 51% marginal tax rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Ok, thanks for the information. The HR Dept where I am know nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

There's a megathread over that way. If HR know nothing about it, do your own research into how it works and advise them. Otherwise there's a risk that they'll sign up with a "Bike to Work" voucher scheme/scam where you lose 10% of your €1000 in 'commission'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

lizzylad84 wrote: »

the gross pro rata amount will be deducted from you pay, either on a weekly or monthly basis, where you will save will be on the tax relief you get depending on what rate of tax you pay.

So if the bike cost €1000 and you have to pay for it over 10 months, thats 100 per month to be deducted from you pay, but you will get tax relief on it, so the actual deduction in your net pay will be less.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sheepers

I've just started a new job, haven't been working up until now this year.

As I am unlikely to pay any PAYE between now and the end of the year, should I be waiting until January to avail of this scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

You're better off waiting. You'll get very little benefit on the repayments made this year. Also, most companies won't allow employees still on probation access the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 blarney60

Can anyone explain this scheme clearly to me please?

As Beasty said in the first post "Basically, you can get up to €1,000 of bike/accessories through your employer, either as a completely free benefit-in-kind (if your employer likes you); or paid for by deductions from your salary, saving you tax, PRSI and levies on the purchase price. There is a benefit to the employer as they save employers PRSI."

So there are two options - If the employer likes you, you get it free and pay nothing through your pay? What does it mean as a tax free benefit in kind? If an employer did this with one employee would there be a risk he would have to do it for all employees?

or, presumable the most common way...
    you pay bicycle cost as a gross deduction from your wages.

Thanks
    Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

blarney60 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain this scheme clearly to me please?

As Beasty said in the first post "Basically, you can get up to €1,000 of bike/accessories through your employer, either as a completely free benefit-in-kind (if your employer likes you); or paid for by deductions from your salary, saving you tax, PRSI and levies on the purchase price. There is a benefit to the employer as they save employers PRSI."

So there are two options - If the employer likes you, you get it free and pay nothing through your pay? What does it mean as a tax free benefit in kind? If an employer did this with one employee would there be a risk he would have to do it for all employees?

It means you just got a €1000 bonus that is not taxed. You're employer pays €1000, you get €1000 bike.

Without the scheme your employer would pay €1000 for the bike that you receive (plus some additional PRSI contributions). It would be taxed as BIK - so you'd need to pay extra ~250-500 extra tax on it as well.

blarney60 wrote: »
    As Beasty said in the first post "Basically, you can get up to €1,000 of bike/accessories through your employer, either as a completely free benefit-in-kind (if your employer likes you);
    This is basically how no one does it, basically they would increase your salary by €1000 and then take it off you to pay for the bike.
    if the employer said it was part of the scheme, then yes, they would have to offer it to all employees.
    or, presumable the most common way...
    you pay bicycle cost as a gross deduction from your wages.

Thanks
    Paul
    And this is the way nearly everyone will experience the scheme. If you get paid 30k a year, they will only pay you 29k a year when you avail of the scheme, but you see the savings as 1000k gross, which will work out as roughly €710 net, so you save 29%. If you got paid 50k, then it would be 49k net, and you would only pay€490 net, so a 51% saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Random post but my wife's employer refuses to do this scheme.

Any way around this?

dahat wrote: »
    Random post but my wife's employer refuses to do this scheme.

Any way around this?

Nope, bar badgering them and explaining the benefits (they do save money as well), there is no requirement to offer the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Our work uses taxfreebicycles.com to manage the cycle to work scheme.

They only seem to deal with certain bike shops in Ireland though. Has anyone used them and imported their own bike and gear?
    I have my eye on an Ebike that I could bring in from the US.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    They only seem to deal with certain bike shops in Ireland though.
    to be fair, it's a reasonably comprehensive list.
    https://taxfreebicycles.com/public/cycle_shops.php

to be fair, it's a reasonably comprehensive list.
    https://taxfreebicycles.com/public/cycle_shops.php

Oh I agree, but I have a particular bike in mind and i would have to get a shop to import it.

maybe email the manufacturer to ask have they any existing relationship with any shops on that list?

however, i would be curious about what warranty options you might have on a bike which is potentially unique to ireland.

maybe email the manufacturer to ask have they any existing relationship with any shops on that list?

however, i would be curious about what warranty options you might have on a bike which is potentially unique to ireland.

Thats my problem, I doubt a shop would import a bike for me, especially an ebike, as they may be liable for it.

Plus I'd prefer to buy myself, and pick up some gear on eBay or AliExpress.

I have emailed taxfreebicycles so we'll see.

• Advertisement

you can't buy it yourself, the point of the scheme is that your employer buys it on your behalf and deducts the money from your gross salary.

Advertisement