Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rootsman

arachne wrote: »
    My question is how the 5 year thing works.
    I got a bike in early 2015 on the Bike to Work scheme, and thought I wouldn't be able to avail of it again until early 2020.

But I have just got an email saying 'Your 5th Year is Up!' and 'You're Eligible again to get another Bike'. It's from a website called taxsaverbikes dot com, but it's not totally clear to me who they are -- my last bike was bought from a small local shop.

Does anyone know if this is legit? i.e. maybe only 4 full years must pass between bike purchases on the scheme?

You can purchase again from Jan 1st in your 5th year.From 2020 it will be reduced to 3 years.Passed by the Seanad in January but needs to be enacted which will happen most likely in the Autumn 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

rootsman wrote: »
    You can purchase again from Jan 1st in your 5th year.From 2020 it will be reduced to 3 years.Passed by the Seanad in January but needs to be enacted which will happen most likely in the Autumn 2019.

Yes, it's based on tax years, not annually from your purchase date.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If I purchase in 2015, then that is year one, so it is as follows;
    2015 - Year 1
    2016 - Year 2
    2017 - Year 3
    2018 - Year 4
    2019 - Year 5
    2020 - Year 1 again if I purchase again

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

rootsman wrote: »

Do you have a link for this? Would be interested to read it at source!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I got a bike in early 2015 on the Bike to Work scheme, and thought I wouldn't be able to avail of it again until early 2020.

But I have just got an email saying 'Your 5th Year is Up!' and 'You're Eligible again to get another Bike'. It's from a website called taxsaverbikes dot com, but it's not totally clear to me who they are -- my last bike was bought from a small local shop.

Does anyone know if this is legit? i.e. maybe only 4 full years must pass between bike purchases on the scheme?
    First question to ask them is :where did you get my contact details from?

• Advertisement

First question to ask them is :where did you get my contact details from?

A good point, the only three options I can see are that HR messed up and handed out details after signing upto them after the last time the poster used the B2W, that the bike shop messed up and handed out details of their customers or that the poster actually used that company (or their predecessor) 4 years ago.

Either way they are incorrect about you being able to use it, I'd flag it to your HR department and mention the two concerns, a) they are not using the scheme correctly or b) someone is spamming their workforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Strong chance your employer at that time purchased the bike for you via taxsaverbikes dot com ?

Strong chance your employer at that time purchased the bike for you via taxsaverbikes dot com ?
    Possibly, but that still wouldn't give them the right to retain his data for marketing purpose.

I think they might be right on the timing - that you buy your new bike any time in the fifth year.

I think they might be right on the timing - that you buy your new bike any time in the fifth year.
    But this is only the fourth year, unless they registered him on their system in 2014 and it only came through in 2015, but if what the poster has said is correct, then they are mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Possibly, but that still wouldn't give them the right to retain his data for marketing purpose.

True - but depends on what boxes were ticked? Could have been HR filling out the Online Form?

Should have just quoted the line from arachne post
    "
    It's from a website called taxsaverbikes dot com, but it's not totally clear to me who they are -- my last bike was bought from a small local shop.
    "

• Advertisement

True - but depends on what boxes were ticked? Could have been HR filling out the Online Form?
    Maybe, but under GDPR, they have a duty to ensure they have proper consent to retain and use the data. It's their problem to sort either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭plodder

By coincidence, I enquired in my place recently when I was eligible again. They told me I had bought the last bike in May 2015 and would be eligible again from January 2020. So, it seems to go by tax/calendar year all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 arachne

CramCycle wrote: »
    But this is only the fourth year, unless they registered him on their system in 2014 and it only came through in 2015, but if what the poster has said is correct, then they are mistaken.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I received an email today from Claire Keay, managing director of taxsaverbikes.com apologising for notifying me a year early in error. That clarifies things finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

There are a lot of pages in this thread so am asking this for anyone that knows:

I chose a bike, chose a shop on bikes4work list and have the collection card. is the card value now tied to the shop or can i use it in another bikes4work retailer where I can get a better price? Value of bike is 1400, voucher is 1,000

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Has anyone got a list of online retailers from the UK or Germany that you can buy through the bike to work scheme.
    I’m looking for a flat bar bike for about 900 euro( for a mate) and I think he’d get better value online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you going to help him out with any subsequent servicing, etc.?
    if it's someone who feels better trusting you to select the bike, it suggests he's not that au fait with them, and someone who might be better having a relationship with the LBS for any issues, unless of course you'll be taking on that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Has anyone got a list of online retailers from the UK or Germany that you can buy through the bike to work scheme.
    I’m looking for a flat bar bike for about 900 euro( for a mate) and I think he’d get better value online.

There is normally no limit to where you can buy from. However, your own company may place a limit.

are you going to help him out with any subsequent servicing, etc.?
    if it's someone who feels better trusting you to select the bike, it suggests he's not that au fait with them, and someone who might be better having a relationship with the LBS for any issues, unless of course you'll be taking on that role.

No, I’m just helping him source the bike and the rest is up to him.
    Anyway, the whole relationship with the LBS is a myth.
    They all do the same thing and I’ve not noticed much difference in service between them.
    They all only want your money, just like every other business.

Raam wrote: »
    There is normally no limit to where you can buy from. However, your own company may place a limit.

My mates company will just pay him back in check or cash once he buys and brings in the receipt.

So I’m taking that it’s ok for him to buy from canyon or chain reaction?.

No, I’m just helping him source the bike and the rest is up to him.
    Anyway, the whole relationship with the LBS is a myth.
    They all do the same thing and I’ve not noticed much difference in service between them.
    They all only want your money, just like every other business.
    Well of course, without money they won't last long but the service depends on the LBS. Some are just regular shops and give no better service than the person behind the till at Tesco. On the same note, some are brilliant, and do give heed to rush if they recognise you. I have been using Fitzcycles since it opened, I have bought a few things, got a few things fixed, in return they have looked after me a number of times due to issues where they have gotten me home and not charged for it. To go online would have taken 5 days and cost me 20euro, another LBS near there I wouldn't set foot in. There are several LBS in Dublin I would pay extra too rather than go online for a variety of reasons, there are some I wouldn't touch even if they were cheaper than online.
    My mates company will just pay him back in check or cash once he buys and brings in the receipt.

So I’m taking that it’s ok for him to buy from canyon or chain reaction?.
    Technically his company is doing it wrong but that's more pedantry, and still within the spirit of the scheme. If they were 100% to the letter, they would buy the bike direct and hand it over to him. As per the scheme though, which is the real question here, yes, so long as what he buys is a bike, he could buy it from an LBS in Tokyo or Southern Chile, so long as its a bike and what he buys is covered under the scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 doneill94

I have just been made permanent in work and I am looking to get the BTW scheme. So for anyone who has experience with this is there certain guidelines I should follow to make sure I get the most out of the scheme.

I don't have any biking gear at the moment so I assume I should get a helmet and some lights as well as a bike. I'm not looking for any expensive racing bike either, just something reliable that I will get longevity out of and that I can maintain economically as well.

If anybody can point me in the right direction or give me some tips it would be greatly appreciated. My biking IQ is pretty shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

doneill94 wrote: »
    is there certain guidelines I should follow to make sure I get the most out of the scheme.

If on the highest tax bracket, spend at least €1000 on the bike.

Buy accessories and gear yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Well folks, thinking of getting this.

First question - any good sales websites with a large range of bikes? I'm looking at the local ones and the range seems limited.

Second - should I spend the max 1000? The bike I'm thinking of getting is around 500 euro. For things like lights, water bottles, would it not be cheaper to get things on aliexpress etc.? Or would you recommend to get it in the bike shop?

Is there any maintenance equipment you'd recommend to buy?

I've never bought in a bikeshop before, is there haggling?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first, check with your employer regarding any restrictions on where they will allow you to choose from; remember, it's actually them buying the bike for you so they get full control over who they'll deal with.
    secondly, if you're on the higher tax bracket, remember that this is the cheapest bike purchase you can make. it's essentially 50% off, and usually spread out over 12 months too. many people would advise you to spend as much as you can up to the limit to maximise your gain, but that's really a decision for you; no point is spending €1000 instead of €500 if you won't get an extra €250 utility from the bike.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I've never bought in a bikeshop before, is there haggling?

If the company are buying direct, there is, as its no different than you paying cash over the counter. If your company go through a middle man, the middle man take 10% commission so you can say good bye to the haggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

first, check with your employer regarding any restrictions on where they will allow you to choose from; remember, it's actually them buying the bike for you so they get full control over who they'll deal with.
    secondly, if you're on the higher tax bracket, remember that this is the cheapest bike purchase you can make. it's essentially 50% off, and usually spread out over 12 months too. many people would advise you to spend as much as you can up to the limit to maximise your gain, but that's really a decision for you; no point is spending €1000 instead of €500 if you won't get an extra €250 utility from the bike.

Yes I won't be doing massive mileage, hopefully maybe 12km a day during the week and maybe a small bit out and about in the weekend. I don't really know anything about bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Hi all, I'm trying to get the small company I work for to roll out the bike to work scheme. Cashflow can be quite tight at times and I'm getting a bit of pushback about work having to pay for the bikes up front.
    Are there any 3rd parties that my employer can use that will give the loan rather than work having to do it?

Hi all, I'm trying to get the small company I work for to roll out the bike to work scheme. Cashflow can be quite tight at times and I'm getting a bit of pushback about work having to pay for the bikes up front.
    Are there any 3rd parties that my employer can use that will give the loan rather than work having to do it?

They could take it out of your wage in a shorter time period so that they don't take the hit as badly. The repayments have to be within a year but nothing to stop them doing it over 3 months or even a month. They will also save money on PRSI payments themselves, not much but make the point that it may actually improve cash flow (very slightly) if they can do it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Thanks CramCycle, I hadn't considered the shorter time period

• Advertisement

Thanks CramCycle, I hadn't considered the shorter time period

Depending on your pay packet, you may not see the full savings straight away, but in that regard, this will be sorted out via your P21 or by the company accountant if they have active ones. That is, you will save the money, it might just not be that obvious if your salary is in a certain region.

Advertisement