Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2015/16

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭prunudo

Loving the photos Fattes, living the dream springs to mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

jvan wrote: »
    Loving the photos Fattes, living the dream springs to mind :D

Its hard work, but rewarding. A lot of changes and adjustments over the past few years but settling in now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Back from a few days in Chamonix, mixed bag really.
    First day was grand and sunny, had a nice time, but the snow wasn't great.
    The second day was heavy wet snow, so I got absolutely soaked at about 15kph, and quit by lunchtime.
    The third day was blizzard-like conditions, with about 15-20' visibility (not helped by my damp, steamed up goggles from the previous day), the snow was better than day 2, but I made the mistake of going down the Point de Vue (2.6km ungroomed black slope, with a 1000m vertical), from the top of Grand Montet, in these awful conditions - 2' of fresh powdery snow, high winds, no goggles, crap visibility, empty slope (we were the last gondola to go up, as the conditions were so bad). Trying to right myself on the board was impossible, my arms kept disappearing into the snow, and I couldn't pop myself up, having winded myself at the top of the slope when I hit something hidden and fell hard... it wasn't a great experience to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Mate of mine cracked his ribs on that slope. Would be no points of reference in a whiteout. For some reason I quite like whiteouts as long as it's fresh snow but it seems I'm in the 1 per cent of skiers that do.

Unlucky cormee, chase that dragon.

Looks like great conditions coming up over next few days wepowder predicting up to a meter of cold fresh powder, great for anyone lucky enough to be out there (fattes ye bollix!). If my missus wasn't about to pop I'd be off for trip number four!

Cormee that is spring skiing it can be anything from heaven to hell! Sadly when you only have a week and are trying to make the most of it, then it is frustrating. When you live here it i s easy. a148pro, I will be heading home for 3 weeks at the end of next week, so will get the best conditions before I leave, and I agree I am a Bollix
    :)

• Advertisement

a148pro wrote: »
    Would be no points of reference in a whiteout.

Also, because my goggles were steamed up I couldn't wear them for most of the trip down. With that, and the driving snow/wind, the only way I could snowboard was to look down, focus about 2' in front of the board, and use my peripheral vision to keep an eye on the marker poles on the side of the piste, looking up every few seconds to make sure there wasn't a sharp turn coming up (I had to maintain a certain speed as side-slipping slowly down, in snow that deep, wasn't really an option).

Congrats on the pending arrival, your first?
    Fattes wrote: »
    Cormee that is spring skiing it can be anything from heaven to hell!
    :)
    And would you believe, the day I was leaving was the heaven day. Gorgeous clear blue skies, and a thick layer of fresh snow.

cormee wrote: »
    Also, because my goggles were steamed up I couldn't wear them for most of the trip down. With that, and the driving snow/wind, the only way I could snowboard was to look down, focus about 2' in front of the board, and use my peripheral vision to keep an eye on the marker poles on the side of the piste, looking up every few seconds to make sure there wasn't a sharp turn coming up (I had to maintain a certain speed as side-slipping slowly down, in snow that deep, wasn't really an option).

Congrats on the pending arrival, your first?

Thanks, no uimhir a do, first one came skiing with me for his first trip a few weeks back! He loved it which bodes well for the future!
    And would you believe, the day I was leaving was the heaven day. Gorgeous clear blue skies, and a thick layer of fresh snow.

Some serious lines being put in in Chamonix at the moment, I'm not on facebook so am missing out on most of the updates:-

https://cedricbernardini.com/2016/04/22/steeps/

End of season is steep season!

So season 15/16 in the alps is over for me last few shots from the 24th and 25th of April. Season 16/17 starts for me in a Snowdome this weekend with a coaching conference and training,.

No rest for the wicked! :rolleyes:

Great photos as always Fattes. Shame they never built a dome here. I know we don't have the population to justify it but for those that would use it, it would be a great amenity.

Great photos as always Fattes. Shame they never built a dome here. I know we don't have the population to justify it but for those that would use it, it would be a great amenity.

Thanks, yeah domes when done right are fantastic, I actually find them hard to spend time in. I think the chemicals used, make me depressed or bring on bouts of low feelings! Just something I have noticed with spending so much time in them. Had 3 weeks off and started back off season, dry land training yesterday! Dome this weekend, Dome in mid June and July, Glacier in Aug. Busy summer

• Advertisement

Fattes wrote: »
    So season 15/16 in the alps is over for me last few shots from the 24th and 25th of April. Season 16/17 starts for me in a Snowdome this weekend with a coaching conference and training,.

No rest for the wicked! :rolleyes:

I can't imagine it's even possible to get moving on skis, or a board, in conditions like Snow3, is it? I know I'd be dead in half an hour, anyway.

I work out in Sandyford, out the canteen window there is a great looking tree-covered hill, up quite high. It has to be very, very cold there from November until about March, and I'd imagine snow cannons would work up there, especially at night.
    So, Dennis O'Brien, if you're reading this, please buy it and spend a few million converting it to couple of slopes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mulbot

I work out in Sandyford, out the canteen window there is a great looking tree-covered hill, up quite high. It has to be very, very cold there from November until about March, and I'd imagine snow cannons would work up there, especially at night.
    So, Dennis O'Brien, if you're reading this, please buy it and spend a few million converting it to couple of slopes. :rolleyes:

My fathers place isn't too far from Lugnaquila,which always gets snow once the cold weather comes,a few years ago when the heavy snow was in,a neighbour bought snow track things for his quad and took himself and his few friends who ski up there-Would have been great to ski deep powder here,didn't have any gear though:(

Even in 2010 when we had really good snow, skiing here is different! Moisture content of the snow is higher, so its always a little slower and heavy but still fun.

Even with modern snow cannons you would probably need 10-12 to get the coverage you need, plus a piste basher to spread it around, sadly never going to happen untill tech or costs change.

Some really cool new artifical snow tech being used this season but still resource intensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Is it time for a "Ski season 2016/2017" thread yet?

I'm already planning next season!!

DoraDelite wrote: »

Depending on your interpretation mine starts on Sat, so I think we can start one! :p

Funny you say that, the snow whatsapp group with the people I usually go with seems more active this early compared to previous seasons.
    In reality no point really looking to book till after August when people have their summer holidays out of the way.
    Still no harm looking though.

Start the thread then, build it and they will come.

June 21 is when I officially allow myself to start thinking about the following season. Until then it's just the previous year's videos.

There has been talk of the Dolomites though, which I've always wanted to visit.

Start the thread then, build it and they will come.

June 21 is when I officially allow myself to start thinking about the following season. Until then it's just the previous year's videos.

There has been talk of the Dolomites though, which I've always wanted to visit.

The dolomites are on my wish list too, the scenery looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

i booked for 16/17 in march :)

• Advertisement

The dolomites are on my wish list too, the scenery looks amazing.

They are amazing also some really cool WW1 history, museums and sights throw in for good measure, there is still barbed wire and trench fortifications visible in some resorts even in Winter!

Was back in Dolomites for the second time this year and it really is stunningly beautiful. It must be the most beautiful lift accessed skiing in the world.

Plus Italians are much more charming than the french or austrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

a148pro wrote: »
    Was back in Dolomites for the second time this year and it really is stunningly beautiful. It must be the most beautiful lift accessed skiing in the world.

Plus Italians are much more charming than the french or austrians.

OMG what are you saying- sure the Austrians are charm personified!! (Until the schnapps kicks in haha) ;-) ;-)

Advertisement