Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Just back from Tignes, conditions were some of the best I've ever been in. Skied powder pretty much all week :)

Great to hear. I'm heading off on Saturday to Tignes. Staying in Val Claret. Any tips or places to go would be appreciated. I've never been to Tignes before.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

@T-b0n3: It's a great resort.
    Are you driving or bus-ing it?
    Renting gear or have your own gear?
    ski/ride .... blue/red runs / park / off piste / lessons etc.
    Want to know where to eat / drink / party.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Great to hear. I'm heading off on Saturday to Tignes. Staying in Val Claret. Any tips or places to go would be appreciated. I've never been to Tignes before.

Thanks

It was my first time in Tignes also, stayed in Val Claret. found it a bit pricey compared to where I normally go and not all that lively. went down to Le Lacs for a couple of evenings, had a good night in a little bar called the Jam Bar and another place called TCs. Up in Val Claret, Couloir had a decent happy hour but was quiet enough. I didn't do any real late ones so don't know what places were open for afters!

Lift queues in the morning were a bit mad and some mornings only the Tichot lift was open due to Avi bombing until about 10:30am (the lift thing will depend on conditions). Take no prisoners in the lift queue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Just back from Flaine, great week.

Very quiet apres, but only get to ski 6 days a year, so don't mind that so much.

Lovely atmosphere in resort.

Snow was great but wind closed links and lift a few days.

Black runs mainly closed.

Love the sound of avalanche clearance in mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Diemos wrote: »
    @T-b0n3: It's a great resort.
    Are you driving or bus-ing it?
    Renting gear or have your own gear?
    ski/ride .... blue/red runs / park / off piste / lessons etc.
    Want to know where to eat / drink / party.

Busing it.
    I have my own boots but will be renting skis.
    Ski reds/blacks/a bit off piste. Wont be doing lessons.
    Yes any tips or where to eat?
    DoraDelite wrote: »
    It was my first time in Tignes also, stayed in Val Claret. found it a bit pricey compared to where I normally go and not all that lively. went down to Le Lacs for a couple of evenings, had a good night in a little bar called the Jam Bar and another place called TCs. Up in Val Claret, Couloir had a decent happy hour but was quiet enough. I didn't do any real late ones so don't know what places were open for afters!

Lift queues in the morning were a bit mad and some mornings only the Tichot lift was open due to Avi bombing until about 10:30am (the lift thing will depend on conditions). Take no prisoners in the lift queue!!

Glad you had a good time, thanks for the tips. We'll make sure to be out early in the morning to avoid the queues :)

• Advertisement

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Busing it.
    I have my own boots but will be renting skis.
    Ski reds/blacks/a bit off piste. Wont be doing lessons.
    Yes any tips or where to eat?

Try to pre book your skis online, even this late you can save serious dough.
    There are a few nice red and blacks on the very right hand side of the map, up the Tichot chair, there are a large number of off piste options in that area too. (needless to say take care off piste)
    Things get congested in the centre of the piste map, when you run to either edge of the map it gets very quiet.

We ate in a lot, but we did try Brasserie du Petit Savoyard, was terrible.
    Le Kiosk, right beside Tichot and Fresse / Bollin lifts was lovely.
    SOS Pizza (I think it was called) is hidden under an arch way here did pretty good pizza.
    And We drank in La Krepouz (just beside SOS pizza and Brasserie du Petit Savoyard) did nice nacho's (I was drunk though)
    And we ate and drank here a lot too. New Paatille Cafe, I think it was our favourite hang out by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Haven't been out this year as much as last. Had 4 days on the skis so far and Friday was my first on my board this year. Spent the day recovering from a hangover and riding the chutes at Kicking horse. Get off a lift, ride along a ridge and drop when it looks good, repeat. Great day! Needless to say, the hangover didn't last long! Should check my base soon...there were a few unmistakable noises as I came down the chutes. CPR Ridge, Redemption ridge and Feuz bowl on this image are the main spots we hit. Didn't fancy the hike to T1 or T2, but did see some guys on skis absolutely sending it off some big cliff drops, which was cool. http://www.snow-forecast.com/system/images/6591/large/Kicking-Horse.jpg?1295562215

Weather has been unseasonably warm in the City this year, and even the mountains haven't been getting a lot of snow, but sstill hoping to get out a few more times before the end of the season. Lake Louise have a big park built and Sunshine Village have a sweet rail park built for some competition coming up soon, so might go check them out.

Can anyone tell me what the weight limit is for a snowboard bag with Ryanair?
    it says they can't legally carry over 32kg but I'd be amazed if that's the limit, I just can't find it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Can anyone tell me what the weight limit is for a snowboard bag with Ryanair?
    it says they can't legally carry over 32kg but I'd be amazed if that's the limit, I just can't find it.

Thanks.

20KG and strict about it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

One of those days today and still snowing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Wow! Deep!

Light? And what have you got underfoot? Was in Madesimo last weekend, was very deep too but could not get a decent rental shop

Had those soul 7s last time I got Powder and they were fantastic. Tempted to buy them after last weeks experience.

a148pro wrote: »
    Wow! Deep!

Light? And what have you got underfoot? Was in Madesimo last weekend, was very deep too but could not get a decent rental shop

Had those soul 7s last time I got Powder and they were fantastic. Tempted to buy them after last weeks experience.

New Soul 7'S for next season so you will get some cheap at the start of next year, although the will be in demand.

I'm Sponsored, Currently on Salomon Rocker 2, 122 under foot. Changing at the end of the season on to Stockli Stormrider Pro 115. A lot of new tech that is allowing companies too, make smaller skis that still float and provide the same stability without the size.

Yeah still snowing here so tomorrow will be even deeper! Most of those photos are taking at quite low level today to allow for better viz.

Fattes wrote: »
    New Soul 7'S for next season so you will get some cheap at the start of next year, although the will be in demand.

I'm Sponsored, Currently on Salomon Rocker 2, 122 under foot. Changing at the end of the season on to Stockli Stormrider Pro 115. A lot of new tech that is allowing companies too, make smaller skis that still float and provide the same stability without the size.

Yeah still snowing here so tomorrow will be even deeper! Most of those photos are taking at quite low level today to allow for better viz.

As in I'll be able to pick up the older model for less or the newer model will be on offer for cheaper after it launches?

What is the new technology that makes them smaller? Are we approaching one ski quivver?

You still in Engelberg? Looks to have had a ridiculously good season

As in I'll be able to pick up the older model for less or the newer model will be on offer for cheaper after it launches?

What is the new technology that makes them smaller? Are we approaching one ski quivver?

You still in Engelberg? Looks to have had a ridiculously good season

Yeah you will pick up last years cheaper, in September big graphic redesign on the new one.some small torsional changes in the core.

One ski quiver nah it will always be two skis at least :) its good engenering and designs they ate using new materials and shapes to improve them

Yeah still here hard to understand why I wont leave when I have morning like this with great friends

Some of me today :)

We were meant to shoot some tech video yesterday but well ;)

Just incase it does not load for anyone else here is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StoMxJWENQQ

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

This is Sascha Hamm from the UK in yesterday's FWT at Fieberbrunn. Very lucky chap. Injured but could of been so much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

Hey,

I'm heading to Kaprun this weekend, anyone else out there or heading there?

edson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Fattes wrote: »
    Some of me today :)

Nice to see you posting again , even if it is those "look at the view from my office today shots" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Back from an off-piste week in Les Arcs with the UCPA and had a great time. It dumped snow the Friday night of the weekend I arrived which set up a week of great conditions.
    Skied the powder next to the slopes on Sunday in poor visibility but as the week went on the clouds dispersed and it was just blue skies. The instructor managed to find us at least a couple of powder turns every day; even on the Friday.
    Les Arcs UCPA centre is fairly modern with ski in / out location. There is plenty to do on piste as well with a wide variety of runs. Definitely recommend.

Sorry can't talk, have to go skiing again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Sorry can't talk, have to go skiing again ;)

Muhaha me too. Boards are waxed and bags almost packed. Two weeks in the snow awaits me.

My boards are tuned and waxed but just to be put away. :(
    Gutted but I managed to get 2 great weeks in this year. :D

My boards are tuned and waxed but just to be put away. :(
    Gutted but I managed to get 2 great weeks in this year. :D

Feeling similarly happy with myself as I finish for the season. Got three short breaks in, including 70 cm plus powder fest and introducing three year old to slopes this week (he ****ing loved it, totally his daddy's son). Very happy now. Probably will only get one and a half trips next year with new sprogs incoming but it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

You all seemed to do very well for yourselves. I only got one trip away this year, and the second trip is officially off, as of today.

*sigh*

Still, only 304 days, 12 hours and 40 minutes to my next trip.

Think I'll go lay out my board and all my gear in the spare room. Maybe back-to-front this time.

cormee wrote: »
    Still, only 304 days, 12 hours and 40 minutes to my next trip.

Cormee I can guarantee you you are the only downloader of that app who has it set for 300 days plus away, fair play!

I had 9 and a half days on the slopes and two and a half of them involved me snow ploughing with a three year old between my legs so you're doing well enough with your week in 3vs, don't worry. All in all a good season after a very slow start I think.

Actually how do you know when you're going next year already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Actually how do you know when you're going next year already?

because he's already booked it???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

stecleary wrote: »
    because he's already booked it???

No, not yet. It's just an approximate time/date, based on this year's holiday. It gives me something to live for. :rolleyes:

Might try for a weekend in October though, Hintertux or the likes.

Advertisement