Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭hargo

Relish in Bettystown for lunch and afternoon, great food reasonably priced and if you get a window seat, what a view.
    Salthouse good food simple suroundings
    La Pizzeria great pizza, read a very good review of it 25 years ago in the Sunday Indo and it says something that its still going strong.
    Borzalino's poor food, noisy and bad service and poor food, yea i said it twice!
    Rolf's in Ardee, don1t know if its still there but was very good.
    Poets Rest in Slane, well if his chocolate cake is anything to go by i'm looking forward to trying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hero9

:eek: the chicken wings at this place are some of the best we ever had! they prepare them so you can just pick 'em up and eat 'em! ALL the meat IS at the end the bone, kinda like a lollipop! deeeelicious.

unfinished interior? i think it's meant to look that way! i like it, it reminds me of places in new york. great lighting at night adds to the very laid back relaxed atmosphere. the night we were there the manager apologized for the temporary menus saying she expected the final menu in the new year - i kinda like the clipboard idea though. ;) i had the burger with fries which are cooked with the skin on (maybe that's why previous post didn't like 'em) really tasty and my wife had the mackerel with creamy mash (best she's ever had). i've heard other people talking about the little buckets of calamari and the barbequed ribs - we'rre gonna tr these the next time we go. we'll be back therre again for sure:P if we can get a reservation!

the stockwell cafe is kinda cute too - nice food and really friendly staff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭peaches79

Anyone advise what Eastern Seaboard's like for veggie options?
    Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 wurpy

:D:) My husband is one of the main chefs in eastern seaboard and grill.. The reason for the clipboard menu and the unfinished interior and the absence of some of the menu items is that the business has just recently changed ownership. He is a fantastic chef, Im very lucky, too well fed!. That is my unbiased opinion. They are extremely busy since they have taken over.

• Advertisement

wurpy wrote: »
    :D:) My husband is one of the main chefs in eastern seaboard and grill.. The reason for the clipboard menu and the unfinished interior and the absence of some of the menu items is that the business has just recently changed ownership. He is a fantastic chef, Im very lucky, too well fed!. That is my unbiased opinion. They are extremely busy since they have taken over.

:confused: I thought they were brand new & just recently opened? It's a husband and wife team, no? the head chef is American, i think, and used to be at the Waterside and the KClub. It's only open about 5 weeks i think you are wrong about it changing hands already! i also don't think the interior is unfinished - just different. YOU ARE LUCKY - i've heard chef's usually don't cook at home - your household must be the exception! ;)

peaches79 wrote: »
    Anyone advise what Eastern Seaboard's like for veggie options?
    Thanks in advance :)

went for a working-lunch;) the other day and shared a few dishes, had the goats cheese salad and a crostini and corn chowder (don't know if you eat fish or not but you can have this with fresh crab or without) we ALSO had ribs and chicken wings. EVERYTHING was delicious. i'm not a veggie but they seem to have intersting options and a range of yummy side dishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭peaches79

Hmmmm, thanks for that Hero, I'll have to investigate further so :)

Hi hero9

I suppose I am lucky that he does all the cooking. He never stops cooking and baking, he likes to practice, but I keep eating too much!!!! I rarely cook. Most chefs will not cook once they clock off.

They do some veggie dishes:

vegetarian burger, veggie kebab, spaghetti, veg soup corn chowder, but im sure they would adapt any dish to suit a vegetarian.

Sorry, re business changing hands, I meant that the current owner took it over recently in October. I dont know if it was a restaurant before. They have been so busy they have not had spare time to sort the menu. Youre right, he was born in America and did run the Waterside, he is a terribly nice guy. Its not a husband and wife team, just the owner and his team.

Maybe it is supposed to look like that, but I know they havent had a free minute to think since they opened.

My husband does the starters and sides. He also does some of the mains and desserts. The creamy mash is one of his. Youre right the wings are prepared like that (lollipop style) purposely to make them easier to eat. Thats why they look unusual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

wurpy wrote: »
    The creamy mash is one of his.

Big thumbs up there. You are very lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Loved the eastern seaboard, was there on Sunday.
    So refreshing to see a different menu, and great value to money to boot. 4 of us all had a great meal.

Will be returning as soon as my pocket allows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dissy

Hi everyone,just like to comment on the Eastern Seaboard. My parter and I have dropped in on a weekly basis since opening.
    Our first impression on entering was that of a restaurant however we were delighted to see they had a bar which was quite welcoming (just what Bryanstown needs). The seating area in bar is comfy with nice fire lighting and music in background but that lovely athmosphere has now been ruined with the arrival of the TV on the bar counter with sky sports competing with background music. Nice to see the Clipboard has been replaced with a proper bar menu although seen it been used in restaurant still. Also noticed the highlighted out of stock lines have been the same since opening.
    Nice to see the arrival of a new friendly barman who I believe worked in Boston, as we have found other staff members unfriendly. Not sure about the owner, he has passed us on numerous ocassions without lifting his head to say Hello. During the day with no more than six customers he can't be under that much pressure to sort out those menu's.
    Finally food we have had to date has been great & reasonably priced, have yet to try restaurant but not sure about the wooden seat's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Does the eastern seabord have a website daughter and her boyfriend want to try it but wondering what the prices are like..both broke students :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭finalfantasist

Where is the Eastern Seaboard anyway?

Bryanstown underneath where Lemongrass was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

Just off Dublin Road.

I recommend, THE BLACK BULL! YUM!

gonker wrote: »
    Does the eastern seabord have a website daughter and her boyfriend want to try it but wondering what the prices are like..both broke students :D

found this - there's a menu under 'notes' hope that helps! http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Drogheda-Ireland/eastern-seaboard-bar-grill/49583174449?ref=nf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kinda

Pipsie Pie wrote: »
    Was out for dinner in the Eastern Seaboard last saturday... Have to say had a lovely evening, the surroundings,atmosphere, food and wine were all superb and its not too pricey!! Definetly will be revisiting it over the xmas!!

Highly Recomended!

The eastern seaboard is without a doubt the place to eat these days, food is unreal, service is great and for a great price, no wonder this place is so busy!!!!! ve been there too many times to count, best things on menu,

1. The Ribs, so good and so many
    2. Lamb shank
    3. The mash, how do they make it???? i have never tasted anything like it !!!!!
    4. The calamari, so tasty

I could go on for ever, defo give it a try all !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kinda

i love this place, its so nice, atmosphere is great, the food is the best in drogheda at the moment and the price is so reasonable!!!! ive been there so many times and would recommend to all !!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 SmandyMaguire

anyone been to Bru restaurant lately? any good? I see some not so favourable reviews from last summer

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I used to go to Bru quiet alot before I had delly jr. but that was 2 to 3 years ago. Back then I always had a good meal with great service. I had cause to go back last month for a meal and found that its gone downhill since then. Food wasn't the best and waiting times betweens courses was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SmandyMaguire

thanks delly. where would u recommend for a set sunday lunch...3/4 courses for a group of 15 in or around drogheda?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hard to know tbh, I don't get out as much as I used too. From all accounts the Eastern Seaboard seems to be going down a storm, it might be what your after. The D hotel has a good quality restaurant as well which might be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

thanks delly. where would u recommend for a set sunday lunch...3/4 courses for a group of 15 in or around drogheda?

Fishermans warf up mell has reopened with a great new restaurant .Went with the other half a couple of wks ago for sun lunch and was very impressed . Nano reids has been recommended for sun lunch also, havent been meself .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

"kinda" - just two posts, and both praising Eastern Seaboard.. Hmmm..!

Slightly suspicious looking stunts like that does more damage than good for Easter Seaboard, IMHO!

PS: I haven't tired Eastern Seaboard. So I've nothing for it, or against it!

Positron there is actually a few "newbie" posters that have posted on this thread about the Eastern Seaboard if you look back. I agree makes you wonder.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Just off Dublin Road.

I recommend, THE BLACK BULL! YUM!

My husband was hostpitalized in isolation after some food in the Black bull some years ago, still enough we have been brave enought to go back for breakfast last year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

gonker wrote: »
    Positron there is actually a few "newbie" posters that have posted on this thread about the Eastern Seaboard if you look back. I agree makes you wonder.:mad:

I was going to try Eastern Seaboard one night, they weren't very helpful when it came to nut allergy suffers. We left and went to Borzalino's instead. They (Borzalinos) are pretty consistent, though my cousin would disagree. We always remind them that one person has nut allergy and they take care of the rest.

Eastern Seaboard appeared to be worried about cross contamination(nut) due to small prep area's. Which makes me wonder how they deal with raw and cooked items if prep area's are that small. I must admit (Eastern Seaboard) seems to be always busy and prices on menu were very reasonable.

Indus which is above it and to the left is has had very expensive fit out, but the food is very average. Plus if you get take away make sure everything is in box. I have only used take away a few times and had items left out twice. Learnt my lesson, wont be ordering from there again on a couple of counts. its expensive, mistakes and food isn't great. I got distinct impression chicken was pre-cooked and added to whatever chicken dish you were having.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Under no circumstances ever go to the eastern seaboard. It's pure dirt.

I've eaten out in most places so I'll gave a short review of a few.

Borzalinos - 1st time I went I wasn't impressed with the quality of food and mannerism of the staff, I've been back 3 times since and have no complaints - it gets very very noisy in there so if that isnt your thing, steer clear.

Bella Atina - By far the best pizza in town, I eat out of there pizza take on a weekly basis and its just so fecking delicious but when it comes to dining inside well all i can say is steer clear. Ive been serveral times and on each occasion very disappointed with the quality.

Redz - Pretty decent. Seems to popular with locals.

Tommy Hanrattys - hidden gem in my opinion, they do a meal for 2 for €50 including bottle of wine, the set menu for it is very nice indeed, on Fridays and saturdays they have an open menu. Highly recommend this place, I visit here quite regularly.

Valley Inn (Just outside town in Dunleer) - Another nice place, staff sometimes a bit lazy but can't fault the quality of food.

Harrys formally the fishermans wharf - I aint out here for the 1st time last week, it was only lunch, and although very slow the food was delicious and the place itself looks so pretty. Def going to try out for an evening meal, little bar next door is very snug too - looks very nice place.

BlackBull - Personally I hate the place, others will disagree but I can't have it.

Bru - never been and dont intend too. Dont like the layout and the fact that a party bar is overhead.

Dalys (Donore) - Dalys doesnt be bad. It's above average, the menu hasnt changed much over the last couple of years which is a shame but its spread out enough I suppose, it has recently been taken over by new owners so it could be worth checking out.

D Hotel, I think they only serve on Fri and Sat nights now, I went a few times, the food is above average but it tends to be a little pricey.

Boiled Onion - Been a few times and never liked it, my partner loves it and I go back to suit here but last week ended it all for me, they were extremely disrespectful when we entered for out meal and I walked out, never again to return, as I said I dont like the place nor the food so it was easy for me to walk out but ive always found them to be ignorant towards the people who pay their wages.

Donegans - It's hit or miss, ive been many times and always experiment with the menu purely because there is so much to choose from. It's always busy and they dont take bookings you just turn up and cross ur fingers, always a bunch load on northerners there, i dont like the fact u cant book but the most of the food is top quality, highly recommend the salmon, steaks and lamp chops, jesus im hungry!!

There is obviously others, a mention to the Snailbox out past Duleek at the cross. It's very very nice in there. Overall I reckon you should test out Hanratty's, I quite like it. Stay clear of Romanza, little venice place I think its called and Eastern seaboard.

Advertisement