Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fairlyfiery

As it was my Birthday my friends decided to take me for dinner(as you do). We had a fab night in Romanza on Dyer st. Drogheda :)
    There were 8 of us and it was a Saturday night the place was jammed as people were coming and going. We were greeted at the door by a very nice waitress and we followed on to the bar where we started with the best cocktails I have ever tasted in this town, I had a Mojito with havana club 25yr reserva and it had berries also topped with champagne although it was 18euro(i think) it was YUM!!!
    Off we went to the garden as our table was almost ready, which is the cutest and most romantic smoking garden I have come across in the Louth area , nicely lit by candels and we still could listen to the music from the Piano area.
    We were sat away from the piano near the kitchen on the couches(soo comfy) and as usual we had the works!!
    Fab starters, I had the parwns in garlic, oil and chilli and i had to ask for more bread to soak it up coz it was YUM!!
    We had steaks, pizza, fish and pasta and all round were happy taste buds :)
    At that stage we were on the vino, red-1865 from chilli(couldn't believe it was only €36 and tasted soo good!!) and also drinking my favourite Prosecco!!
    I had the 10oz Medium-rare(cooked perfectly where most places over cook it) in a nice pepper sauce. Although i was envious of one of the girls as she had the sizziling fish grill......it looked , sizziled and smelt divine!!
    Everyone was happy out!!
    Everything is homemade even down to the ice cream. 10 out of 10 for these guys!! well done...i thought i had to go else where(not Drogheda) for tasty food whlie combining some class and style.
    I'll defo be back again with another gang!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Romanza. <cynical mode=on>Anyone actually been there that can give impartial view? <cynical mode=off/> :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Dingatron wrote: »
    Romanza. <cynical mode=on>Anyone actually been there that can give impartial view? <cynical mode=off/> :pac:

Why do you say that?:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As it was my Birthday my friends decided to take me for dinner(as you do). We had a fab night in Romanza on Dyer st. Drogheda :)
    There were 8 of us and it was a Saturday night the place was jammed as people were coming and going. We were greeted at the door by a very nice waitress and we followed on to the bar where we started with the best cocktails I have ever tasted in this town, I had a Mojito with havana club 25yr reserva and it had berries also topped with champagne although it was 18euro(i think) it was YUM!!!
    Off we went to the garden as our table was almost ready, which is the cutest and most romantic smoking garden I have come across in the Louth area , nicely lit by candels and we still could listen to the music from the Piano area.
    We were sat away from the piano near the kitchen on the couches(soo comfy) and as usual we had the works!!
    Fab starters, I had the parwns in garlic, oil and chilli and i had to ask for more bread to soak it up coz it was YUM!!
    We had steaks, pizza, fish and pasta and all round were happy taste buds :)
    At that stage we were on the vino, red-1865 from chilli(couldn't believe it was only €36 and tasted soo good!!) and also drinking my favourite Prosecco!!
    I had the 10oz Medium-rare(cooked perfectly where most places over cook it) in a nice pepper sauce. Although i was envious of one of the girls as she had the sizziling fish grill......it looked , sizziled and smelt divine!!
    Everyone was happy out!!
    Everything is homemade even down to the ice cream. 10 out of 10 for these guys!! well done...i thought i had to go else where(not Drogheda) for tasty food whlie combining some class and style.
    I'll defo be back again with another gang!!
    If we mention your name, do we get a discount?

:rolleyes:

C'mon out of that do you really think that's not a shill post? Would you register on boards just to post on how good some restaurant in Drogheda is? I'm a cynic at heart I suppose and if I'm wrong so be it. Time will tell and if fairlyfiery is still posting here in 6 months time I'll be proven wrong. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fairlyfiery

FYI Dingatron I actually was there, I am from Drogheda and returned from my travels after 3years and was pleasntly surprised what Drogheda has to offer now Romanza being one of my favourites.
    Have you ever been to a good place to eat in the town???
    A place where they actually know what they are doing???
    I do have other favourites being :
    D'vine= great wine and snacks (not a place to go for dinner)for a good catch up in a quiet setting, friendly staff.
    The Salthouse= Kick ass food, very reasonable and casual setting and friendly staff.
    Redz = great fajitas and thats about it.....well the Vodka bar is good some nights depending on the music.
    Pizzeria= probably the best pizzas in town
    Jaffa= puke!!

other Italian restaurants not worth the mention
    Oh and I quiet like the little place on Stockwell st (artizan cafe...something like that) they make their own hummus and it's great!! and the just revamped with a seating area!!
    Scholars well I still haven't been ....it's on my list

And I will also agree about the rudeness of the staff in Alio&Farina, I have no idea how they are still in buisness.

Also if someone has a good time in a place is it not their right to post it ??
    Although I do understand your cynicall behaviour, I like it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dagb20

Regarding Indian restaruants in Drogheda, I have tried Indus, Punjab House and the Curry House for either sit in or take outs.
    Indus is very nice food and they seem to change the menu often enough. The restaurant is too noisy though with the music blarring out.
    Punjab House - food is good, not as good as Indus in my opinion. Restaruant is strange if you are there when it's empty. was there early on a saturday and felt weird until it began to fill up. Had take aways a few times from it and was good.
    Curry House is only ok. If I had to pick one today it would be Indus.

Also agree with a few other people on the Monasterboice Inn, very over rated and still living on past reputation as a great steak house.

Salthouse is very good, food is nice and I still think they have live music on the weekends. Wine list was ok but they had a very nice beer selection.

best Italian would be Pizzeria - suprisingly they do a great steak, far better than Monasterboice inn anyway.

Always thought boiled onion was just average food.

D'vine, nice food and wine, good for a romantic meal.

Redz - fajitas are the way to go in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

I would agree with a previous poster that Scholars can't be beaten. I think it's exceptional.

I was in Romanza during the summer with a group of about 15 and every one of us thought the food was extremely poor. Table of 4 beside us weren't impressed either.

Shame the Lemongrass is gone. Really liked the food & service there.

And I'd highly recommend the Poet's Rest in Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭positron

zac8 wrote: »
    Shame the Lemongrass is gone. Really liked the food & service there.

:eek: It is? Oh ffs, they were my favorite too!!

positron wrote: »
    :eek: It is? Oh ffs, they were my favorite too!!

yeah closed about 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

I believe there's a new restaurant downstairs from the old Lemongrass called The Eastern Seaboard and is getting positive feedback from what I've heard. Haven't been in it yet though so can't review. Its on my list though. Anyone been in it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Dingatron wrote: »
    I believe there's a new restaurant downstairs from the old Lemongrass called The Eastern Seaboard and is getting positive feedback from what I've heard. Haven't been in it yet though so can't review. Its on my list though. Anyone been in it?

Passed it yesterday and it looks very fancy.

On a side note, good ridance to the lemon grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

delly wrote: »
    If we mention your name, do we get a discount?

:rolleyes:

Staff discount maybe? Or perhaps a freebie from the owner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

where and what (pub? restaurant?) is redz ?

bettedavis wrote: »
    where and what (pub? restaurant?) is redz ?

Redz is a pub\restaurant on West Street, the main stree in drogheda. when you're walking out of st. peters church on west street, take a right and the pub\restaurant is about 150m up on the right hand side

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Folks, if you have a problem with a post then use the report post function: report.gif

Don't comment on the post, leave it up to the forum moderators to decide if any action's required.

delly wrote: »
    On a side note, good ridance to the lemon grass.

whenever we went to collect a takeaway my wife always got a complimentary glass of wine while she waited. couldn't avail myself as i was always driving :rolleyes:

one time they gave us the wrong main course which we only realised when we got home. phoned to complain and the owner drove out to us in tullyallen with a replacement and a complimentary bottle of wine even though we had eaten what they had given us :eek: ok so they got the first order wrong but that is some customer service.

sorry to see them close when you see some of the sorry excuses for restaurants still in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Pipsie Pie

Was out for dinner in the Eastern Seaboard last saturday... Have to say had a lovely evening, the surroundings,atmosphere, food and wine were all superb and its not too pricey!! Definetly will be revisiting it over the xmas!!

Highly Recomended!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mendacity

about the lemongrass too - it was very reliable.

I was disappointed with Romanzo's - firstly it was cold in there - the plug in electric heaters suggests they are having some problems with the heating.

Secondly the Piano playing was too loud and partyish for a mostly empty restaurant.

The fish was good and I am glad it is local (Clogherhead) but over priced at 24 quid for a simple seabass and mash - no veg

Well my Lemongrass experience was one of friendly staff, but pretty bland food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Went to Indus recently. 8 of us. We were left waiting for 15 minutes before a table was ready. Service was extremely slow. Ok they were packed this particular night, but they should have been able to cope with the numbers. We were sitting upstairs and were freezing due to an automatic door leading out to the smoking area opening all the time. And my brother was seated beside some air conditioning vent in the wall, further adding to the big chill! Service was friendly although they didn't have a clue what they were doing, got some of the orders mixed up. Food was nothing special.

Overall poor impression, I won't be going there again. Maybe we should have gone next door to the eastern seaboard place, hearing good reports about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Pipsie Pie wrote: »
    Was out for dinner in the Eastern Seaboard last saturday... Have to say had a lovely evening, the surroundings,atmosphere, food and wine were all superb and its not too pricey!! Definetly will be revisiting it over the xmas!!

Highly Recomended!

Is this a bar and a restaurant that you can just go for a drink in also, or is it for dining only?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Yeah, there's a bar there also. So you can have some drinks after your meal if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

I was in Indus last friday night - dunno what my overall impression was. Food wasn't bad, decor is very modern if you're into that and the staff were nice. The portions looked small on the plate but I think that was because the plates were bloody huge, I still left full.

Can't help feelin that 70 euro for 1 starter, 2 mains and 2 small beers is fairly dear though. I'm tired of harpin on about prices up north but a party of 5 of us dined in an excellent Indian in Belfast (Archana, Dublin Road if you're ever looking a good feed). All of us had starters, huge mains, bottle of wine for the ladies and large Tiger beers each for the lads - for £90. 20euro/head vs 35euro/head.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭positron

Aaarh finally..!! ..85 posts later, someone agrees with my view on Indus portions/costs! aquascrotum, you are my new hero!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HALLOW RUBY

I'm thinking of going to the The Eastern Seaboard at some stage this week. What kind of food is on offer in this place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I have been to Romanza...Have to say it was a positive experience. The staff were friendly...food was excellent .Would go again.

Was in Romanza just before christmas, I thought the food was excellent. everyone who ordered a fish dish thought it was great, the steaks were supposably a let down.
    My opinion was that the food is lovely but the service is absolutly terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dpjobrien

Based on previous recommendations for this restaurant, my wife, sister-in-law, her husband and myself decided to try it out last night.

We were seated in the middle of the floor which was quite spacious, however the wooden chairs were not that comfortable, the design of the restaurant section needs to be finished, the services in the ceiling are exposed and the columns have not yet been painted. The bar section is very nicely decorated and quite modern.

Overlooking this we were handed the menus by a less than friendly waitress, which where wooden clipboards with 3 A4 dirty/gruby sheets with the last page being a limited wine list. She proceded to inform us that at least half the menu was unavailable, for instance of the 5 fish dishes 2 were unavailable and again same with the desserts.

We ordered a bottle of white wine, which was poured straight without us viewing the bottle to check it was the correct one that we had ordered and it was not left in a wine cooler bucket.

Starters arrived, soup, chowder and fish cakes were lovely however one ordered the Chicken wings, which had hardly any meat on them. It was as if someone had scraped the bone clean and left bits of chicken hanging at the top of the bones, looked like someone had already eaten them.

Mains arrived, veggie burger looked inedible and tasted like it had been deep fried with chips, fish and everything else in the kitchen. Chicken burgers looked like a fillet that had been sliced thinly into 3 pieces, breaded and then deep fried, the only distinctive taste was the lettuce. I thought it was a piece of deep fried plaice (fish) in batter it was that thin. Steak sandwich would have been nice if it had been left on the grill for a bit longer, if you like a medium stake it was fine, but anyone who likes it well done would not have eaten it as it was still pink in the middle and also very fatty.

When a restaurant can't even get chips right it doesn't hold well, Cheap but not very cheerful. We left this restaurant very disappointed and with the view that we would never return.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

we went to Eastern Seaboard Restaurant about 2 weeks ago, was very impressed.

Bar area was really nice and modern and not too busy - easy to get served, when we were handed the menus on the clipboards (not overly impressed by this, but am not going to moan about such a minor little thing!), we were informed there were a couple of things not available - we thought this was cos it was a busy Saturday night and we had a late booking.

We were shown to our table and presented with a small loaf of the most delicious bread ever to keep us going until our starters arrived. The crostini was out of this world......

Main courses was the burger which again was divine, and the deserts were superb - could hardly move when we were leaving! Very very reasonably priced, staff were very friendly and would reccommend and will def make another visit soon!

Advertisement