Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Certa Cito

Gosh Famous45, am surprised you said eastern seaboard was 'pure dirt', seems to be taking drogheda by storm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However i have few criticisms myself, overall i like the place but they defo have some teething probs!

have visited the bar on several occasions and have to say i love it, the decor, the chilled out ambience and the staff - really nice crew they have in there, friendly and helpful!

Went to the restaurant couple weeks ago with the missus and although the food was delicious (try the ribs - they are divine!) the service is all over the place! usually the prob in places like this is 'too many chiefs and not enough indians' but here it is the opposite. apart from the couple who own it there seems to be only one supervisor/manager who seemed totally overwhelmed on the night we were there. while all the staff were v courteous and friendly it seems it is only this one girl who can take bookings/seat people - we were waiting about 5 mins in a queue to be seated by this one girl! then it was a long line of people serving us bread, someone else starters, someone else mains, then drinks etc etc just needs someone to put some order on the place. we were left totally confused as to which waitress was 'ours'.
    then when it came to leaving a tip we didnt know who to give it to. while there seemed to be alot of waitresses the set up just doesnt work - all running about like headless chickens and a stressed out manager just as confused!!!!!!!!!
    sorry for long rant - am a nerdy restaurateur myself so enjoy checking out new places and what i would do differently! my advice would be to go for the bar end of things for time being - they serve food too and seems to be much tighter run ship. sorry eastern seaboard but am sure it will come right in end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

I refer to the place as dirt cause that's exactly how they treated me and my family.

On taking orders the person doesnt write anything down, not in my case and the tables next to me, when I said why aren't you writing this down, she said it's fine I have my memory, I knew straight away this was going to be a disater and it was as the dishes that arrived where incorrect, a member of my party got chips and you could tell they were soggy, when she confronted the waitress she said it's policy to reheat the chips before serving because they are so big. When they took out our bottle of wine it was opened and dumped on the table for us to sample and pour, when told we specifically wanted vanilla ice cream and nothing else for the children, one of them is allergic to strawberries, what came out on the dishes? You guess it vanilla and strawberry ice cream, when confronted again she just waved her head in the air and went off. I think maybe 3-4 people served us during our meal. There was a further issue when we are leaving which I won't comment about purely because I do now even want to discuss the fiasco every again.

All in all, if you want to be treated like chite by all means take a trip there.
    Also when you call up to book, which I did a few times before I actually got a table, they tell you that they will call you back, you cant actually reserve a table there and then due to their seating policy again pure rubbish. The food was chite, the service was chite and their attitude was worse. Steer clear by all means fellow diners.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Its funny how different our experiences can be of the same place .I went there on fri nite for my parents 40 th wedding anniversary meal and it was superb .Everyone enjoyed the food immensely , very cheap also which is always a good thing :D . Was also a v nice atmosphere .We will be going back soon .Highly recommended .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kinda

heard it was great food but the staff wernt that nice in the fishermans, just one person said it to me dont no if its true though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Famous45 wrote: »
    Under no circumstances ever go to the eastern seaboard. It's pure dirt.

I've eaten out in most places so I'll gave a short review of a few.

Borzalinos - 1st time I went I wasn't impressed with the quality of food and mannerism of the staff, I've been back 3 times since and have no complaints - it gets very very noisy in there so if that isnt your thing, steer clear.

Bella Atina - By far the best pizza in town, I eat out of there pizza take on a weekly basis and its just so fecking delicious but when it comes to dining inside well all i can say is steer clear. Ive been serveral times and on each occasion very disappointed with the quality.

Redz - Pretty decent. Seems to popular with locals.

Tommy Hanrattys - hidden gem in my opinion, they do a meal for 2 for €50 including bottle of wine, the set menu for it is very nice indeed, on Fridays and saturdays they have an open menu. Highly recommend this place, I visit here quite regularly.

Valley Inn (Just outside town in Dunleer) - Another nice place, staff sometimes a bit lazy but can't fault the quality of food.

Harrys formally the fishermans wharf - I aint out here for the 1st time last week, it was only lunch, and although very slow the food was delicious and the place itself looks so pretty. Def going to try out for an evening meal, little bar next door is very snug too - looks very nice place.

BlackBull - Personally I hate the place, others will disagree but I can't have it.

Bru - never been and dont intend too. Dont like the layout and the fact that a party bar is overhead.

Dalys (Donore) - Dalys doesnt be bad. It's above average, the menu hasnt changed much over the last couple of years which is a shame but its spread out enough I suppose, it has recently been taken over by new owners so it could be worth checking out.

D Hotel, I think they only serve on Fri and Sat nights now, I went a few times, the food is above average but it tends to be a little pricey.

Boiled Onion - Been a few times and never liked it, my partner loves it and I go back to suit here but last week ended it all for me, they were extremely disrespectful when we entered for out meal and I walked out, never again to return, as I said I dont like the place nor the food so it was easy for me to walk out but ive always found them to be ignorant towards the people who pay their wages.

Donegans - It's hit or miss, ive been many times and always experiment with the menu purely because there is so much to choose from. It's always busy and they dont take bookings you just turn up and cross ur fingers, always a bunch load on northerners there, i dont like the fact u cant book but the most of the food is top quality, highly recommend the salmon, steaks and lamp chops, jesus im hungry!!

There is obviously others, a mention to the Snailbox out past Duleek at the cross. It's very very nice in there. Overall I reckon you should test out Hanratty's, I quite like it. Stay clear of Romanza, little venice place I think its called and Eastern seaboard.

You seem to be the type of pessimist who expects bad food and bad service in almost all places you eat, and while you state you have eaten in most places, your reviews seem to be fairly limited to either pub grub or pizza. The black bull serves fantastic food, always great service and they will bend over backwards to fit you in even if you havent made a booking.
    You should try some of the Chinese restaurants in Drogheda, Chancos and the Ming Garden are outstanding and Tangos is fabulous as well. Maybe too exotic for your beer gut??
    I still havent eaten in Eastern Seaboard but I certainly intend to and your blunt review wont put me off!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You seem to be the type of pessimist who expects bad food and bad service in almost all places you eat, and while you state you have eaten in most places, your reviews seem to be fairly limited to either pub grub or pizza. The black bull serves fantastic food, always great service and they will bend over backwards to fit you in even if you havent made a booking.
    You should try some of the Chinese restaurants in Drogheda, Chancos and the Ming Garden are outstanding and Tangos is fabulous as well. Maybe too exotic for your beer gut??
    I still havent eaten in Eastern Seaboard but I certainly intend to and your blunt review wont put me off!

borderlinemeath, your welcome to respond and counter any posts here, you must post in a civilized fashion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

borderlinemeath, your welcome to respond and counter any posts here, you must post in a civilized fashion though.

I believe I was quite civilized. Famous45 referred to a new local business as "pure dirt". Is that civilized? I dont think so, I think they should get all the support they deserve. He even mentioned in his next post that he knew "it was going to be a disaster" so he had made his mind up before the night was through.
    I disagree with the slating that he gave that particular restaurant, it is new, it may have been teething problems but reviews like that can make or break a new business and we should support local industries.
    I also must state I have no affiliation to Eastern Seaboard, nor have I worked in the hospitality industry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I believe I was quite civilized.

I disagree.
    You should try some of the Chinese restaurants in Drogheda, Chancos and the Ming Garden are outstanding and Tangos is fabulous as well. Maybe too exotic for your beer gut??I still havent eaten in Eastern Seaboard but I certainly intend to and your blunt review wont put me off!

Anyway back on topic please. If you want to discuss this further feel free to PM me I don't want this taken off-topic. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Hawkeye4real

Eventually got to try Eastern Seaboard couple of weeks ago after finding it booked out when trying to book too late (positive sign in current climate). Have to say, food, service and price were all excellent. Only negative was they were trying to sit us down at a hight table on stools, but when we pointed out that this would not suit as one of our party had recently had some leg surgery, they moved things around and accommodated us. Also returned to Chanco's chinese recently and again, no complaints whatsoever. Romanzas Italian, food and service were great, a bit pricey for what we had, and during the recent cold spell every time the door was opened you got a blast of cold air in your neck, otherwise enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Ate at Tango at the weekend...came away just feeling a bit meh.

Food was ok, nothing special imo, ambience was dead (approx 3 tables filled at 8pm on a Saturday night), location...just a bit odd (that might be just me). Staff were utterly pleasant, but there was certainly no sense of occasion.

I'd agree to an extent with Famous45 re the Black Bull - I don't hate it by any means but am rarely in a rush back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Droghead

Been to the Eastern Seaboard restaurant 3 or 4 times and have to say love it.. The food is excellent and very reasonably priced.. The food is simple but tastes great...

Love the bar for a drink before or after your meal... staff very friendly Polite and efficient...

Reccommend it 100%....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mynameis..

black bull is full of posers

:eek:

I've eaten out in most places so I'll gave a short review of a few

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Rightio, Been lurking at this thread for quit a while now, so i'll leave some comments as well!

Romanza's
    Went back there this saturday because last time we want the BF was extremely jealous of the grilled fish platter. I think the food there is excellent, nice selections of wines and their specials are lovely. The staff I found is a bit inconsistent, last saturday we were waited on by 5 different people and had to ask for dessert menu 3 times. Piano only started playing when we had the desserts but I thought it wasn't too disturbing, altough I prefer just music in the background. I do find that all of their fish dishes are gorgous and wouldn't have a pizza there coz it'd be a shame not to taste the fish and meat. Overall rating: 4/5

The Boiled Onion
    Ate there on several locations. I think it's an easy going, simple and straight forward restaurant. Don't go expecting outstading food, but the staff is nice, the decor needs an upgrade and the food is honest, you get what you expect, nothing too fancy. I think it's a good place to go with a bunch of friends or family for a nice, easy going meal that will suits every ones taste. Overall rating: 3/5

Borzalinno's
    Only went there once. Don't really like the place, setting in lovely and staff friendly. It's just a bit too "busy" for my taste. My starter was almost double the size of my mains and the rest of the company wansn't too impressed with the food neither. Good place to go for families though I think, especially younger childer. Overal rating: 2/5

La bella Antina
    (I think that's the name, the little italian one on the quays): food is honest and lovely, staff usually very friendly. Smallish menu and no specials, so after going there 3 or 4 times you kind off run out of options. Overall rating: 3/5

Westcourt
    Nice and easy grub! It's what you expect from hotel/pubfood but just a little bit better. i like the setting and ideal place to have dinner before a big night out. Overall rating: 3/5

On the list to go to: Scolars, monasterboice inn & D Hotel.

Not even worthy of a review I thought is the Boyne Vally Hotel not at all impressed with their service.

Good places for lunch: Bia is absolutely lovely, that restaurant on West street under an archeway (can't remember the name, next to Pennies) is nice enough as well. As said before, Olio & farina are very uptight and unfriendly, but I thought the food was lovely :o.

My 2cents for now!

that restaurant on West street under an archeway (can't remember the name, next to Pennies) is nice enough as well

I might stand corrected but I believe the owners of that place now run Dalys in Donore.

Monasterboice Inn (Donegans) is a nice place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

donegans has lovely food but a total rip off .. carlitos in dunleer is delish

total rip off

Donegans is far from being the above. The size of the portions you get there is huge, the quality of the menu is huge, they have everything on it, as I said previously sometimes it's not what I expected but thats purely because the menu is so vast and there is so much to try. There's been the odd dish that I wasn't crazy about but there is others which are just simply divine. There is no way you will be ripped off in Donegans, most of the time I've went there with my partner and after having bout 3-4 bottles of beer added to the bill, it's usually comes out around €70. I think you'll pay that in some places without the few beers.

To think that all the Northern people still frequent the place daily even though it's a distance off the motorway just shows how highly the place is thought of. It's jammed 7 nights a week, don't think there is another restuarant around that boasts it's popularity so on that note I'm afraid the remark of them being a rip off is untrue in this case.

if youu're in there after 9 pm any night theres no one there... for 33 euro you get a steal and your potato ... food is lovely but i dont know what food you're having but for 2 of us it wolud rarely be under 100 ... also why have they let so many staff go and bar is only open 3 or 4 nights out of 7

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

sNarah wrote: »
    Good places for lunch: Bia is absolutely lovely

Absolutely - Bia is a complete success story on the face of it. Nice grub, original dishes with the stir fry specialities, massive portions and great value for money. Can't fault it. We often leave Bia thinking its cheaper than turnin on the hob at home!

• Advertisement

bia also have a place in dunleer and i always think i have been undercharges as they are so reasonable and lovely food and staff

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Totally agree, Bia is fab and so cheap, its one of the few places where you can get a "healthy" option, everywhere seems to serve with either chips or mash/veg, the stir fry's are gret. I stopped going to Donegan's as it was like a cattle mart once the dining room opened trying to get a table, in saying that I'll take on board the tip about sitting after 9pm.

Would also recommend Scholars Townhouse for the Sunday lunch - 25 euro I think( or was when I was there) for 3 courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Yup have to agree once more, Bia, food's lovely, t is quick & effective and nice staff!

Has any one tried out the €20.09 sundaylunch @ the D Hotel? I saw it there painted on their window :o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

+1 for Bia, myself and the wife get fed along with our toddler for nearly the same price as going to McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

the salthouse below in john st is great for lunch and breakfast .They also open late now with music a couple of nights a week .lovely spot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Zell

Had a meal in Eastern Seaboard last Wednesday and was disappointed as most of what I had heard/read was favourable. I found the restaurant cold - we were seated near the door. The table was small, especially with the breadboard, wine glasses and wine. Does the bread accompany every meal? We ordered bread and olives as a starter but I saw it on lots of tables. We had to remind the waitress about our wine order - halfway through our starter it still hadn't arrived. I ordered ribs and was not impressed. They weren't piping hot, not particularly tasty and the organic carrots were seriously overcooked. The place was full though. Will give it another chance - and go for the fish next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mairead_or

Ate at the Black Bull last night and really enjoyed it...food was delicious, simple pub grub I suppose but really tasty, service was efficent but not pushy at all and atmosphere was very weloming...cosy spot which I would recommend! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Comon guys the Eastern Seaboards been done to death!

http://www.boards.ie/adsales.php tbh. All these posts are now putting me off booking a table.

Surprise Surprise, another 1 poster posts about the E Seaboard

3 words LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 itsthat

Famous45 wrote: »
    Surprise Surprise, another 1 poster posts about the E Seaboard

3 words LOL

im giving out about the place, what are you getting at????????????????????????? strange:confused:

Advertisement