Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Fitzpatrick to get off Scott Free

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Why am I not shocked that justice was not served - the amount of misery Anglo put on so many in the country and the chief walks free - What did the whole process achieve apart from making well heeled legal eagles more well heeled - I despair really - I give up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

SteM wrote: »
    I was up for jury selection for this case back in September, thank God I wasn't picked.

ha, we must have been in the same room, I was picked then thrown off as I knew one of the junior counsel apparently. I was looking forward to a break from work but 8 months ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

When you lay the rails, the train can only run one way!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

red ears wrote: »
    It will get worse, wait till he sues the state and gets a massive payoff. Isn't' that the way it works here for people like him.

Yip, that's what I was thinking. He is either guilty OR has been mistreated.

Next up, Fingers to get a pat on the back by judge for the amazing contribution he has made to Irish homeowners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

People are up in arms about this but when you actually look at what he did:

It's not like he refused to pay his TV licence.
    Overreaction tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Seems like if you're going to commit massive fraud in this country it's best to make it as huge and complicated as possible. That way on the off chance you do get caught it'll be too complicated for Joe soap to understand and you'll get off on a technicality. Great system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I doubt today was chosen purposely for the judge to acquit him. If nothing happened last night do people think the trial would have gone ahead, or strung along until the next worldwide event?

Why wasn't he acquitted yesterday then...???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

gramar wrote: »
    Cunt...crook...criminal...cad...cocksucker....perhaps?

Why I don't know the meaning of those words :o

seamus wrote: »
    No, jurors don't sit around at their own expense. Their employers are obliged to continue paying them and any reasonable expenses are claimable.

It's not a well-paying or fun gig, but you're not left out of pocket.

A self-employed person would be left seriously out of pocket.

P.S. that is if he still has work after the antics of Seanie and his pals.

seamus wrote: »
    No, jurors don't sit around at their own expense. Their employers are obliged to continue paying them and any reasonable expenses are claimable.

It's not a well-paying or fun gig, but you're not left out of pocket.

You are if you're self employed. Big time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AngryLoner

Well, I don't actually believe this is a case of "them" protecting their own. Sure, nothing would suit them better than to have a lightning rod like Fitzpatrick making them all look above board.

No, unfortunately, I think this is just another simple case of civil service incompetence.

Bambi wrote: »
    In the 10 years since we figured out that our banks had endangered the existence of the state has any legislation been enacted to ensure it never happens again?

Has the offences against the state (enacted for the very purpose of protecting the states existence we were told) been amended so it can be used against the next wave of seanies and drummos?

Has it ****, business as usual

And who exactly is going to change it?? the FF,FG,LAB politicans.?
    Many of them were up to their necks in all this in the first place. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

He got off because he's not guilty so get over it, you lot would be delighted if someone got let off for not paying their taxes. We can't have double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You are if you're self employed. Big time!
    Self-employed people are always excused on that that basis, if they request to be.

valoren wrote: »
    What else could be expected.

The only consolation is that his reputation is completely and thoroughly destroyed.
    While he may have been acquitted but his reputation is irrevocably damaged.
    Your reputation is everything. You may enjoy the finest in material possession, but if your reputation is gone, it's all for nothing.

While he may not serve any prison time, he will now continue to enjoy a special kind of prison.
    Where he is a pariah, an outcast, an embarrassment to his friends and family.

For all his charm and his talents, in the final summation, he is nothing but a crook despite what the courts will say.
    Look at his expression in that IT article. He's a broken man. He knows everyone thinks he is a crook.
    There is some solace in that for me.

Do you honestly think this bothers him in the slightest.??
    The only difference between this guy and John Gilligan is that Seanie wears a suit. Scum of the earth.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

ha, we must have been in the same room, I was picked then thrown off as I knew one of the junior counsel apparently. I was looking forward to a break from work but 8 months ffs!

I was dismissed because I'm originally from Greystones :)

Boaty wrote: »
    He got off because he's not guilty so get over it, you lot would be delighted if someone got let off for not paying their taxes. We can't have double standards.

Good morning Drummie... is that you.??

The prosecution,defence,judge and of course Seanie all fly off to the South of France for a game of golf....:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

SteM wrote: »
    I was dismissed because I'm originally from Greystones :)

I was a bit gutted that I never got to see what kind of spread would be put out for breakfast and lunch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A judge is to rule that Sean Fitzpatrick be acquitted of all charges in his long running court case. A gang of jurors have been hanging around, at their own expense no doubt, since before Christmas only to be told their decision making efforts will not be necessary.

The Irish Times has the story here

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say I'm delighted for the little c-word.

That's "chap". What did you think I meant?

Maybe he didn't do anything illegal according to Irish law.

And I bet whatever he did is still not illegal under Irish law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

washman3 wrote: »
    Do you honestly think this bothers him in the slightest.??
    The only difference between this guy and John Gilligan is that Seanie wears a suit. Scum of the earth.!!

thats a scandalous comment

• Registered Users Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The only consolation is that his reputation is completely and thoroughly destroyed.
    Your reputation is everything. You may enjoy the finest in material possession, but if your reputation is gone, it's all for nothing.

While he may not serve any prison time, he will now continue to enjoy a special kind of prison.

For all his charm and his talents, in the final summation, he is nothing but a crook despite what the courts will say.
    Look at his expression in that IT article. He's a broken man. He knows everyone thinks he is a crook.
    image.jpg

or an innocent man has had the best part of his retirement years taken from him for a political witch hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Boaty wrote: »

errm what? he got off due to technicalities, dirty tricks campaign and more to the point the incompetence of prosecution.

since the get go, his team have tried to disrupt this trial over and over with every possible stunt and it looks like they have finally succeeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

image.jpg

Sorry but you clearly don't know what these people are actually like.

I worked in AIB for 2 years, and did you know that not one person in AIB did anything wrong in the lead up to the crash?

They don't care. Joe public means nothing to them.
    These senior bankers are the most arrogant, audacious people you will ever meet.

He, and his family and friends will be partying tonight, trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Wombatman wrote: »
    Bet the Enron lads sent to jail for 24 years wish they were Irish.
    Rumour has it that Bernie Madoff wants become an Irish citizen and be retried in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

washman3 wrote: »
    Why wasn't he acquitted yesterday then...???

Everything is a grand conspiracy by the 'elite' I suppose.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Maybe he didn't do anything illegal according to Irish law.

And I bet whatever he did is still not illegal under Irish law.

What he was accused of doing is HIGHLY illegal under Irish law. It seems it's "not safe" to convict him on the available admissible evidence.

Like I said, I'm delighted for the little c-word.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well one good thing has come out of this. It reminds people that welfare recipients aren't the one putting the major strain on the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Cyrus wrote: »
    a waste of time, total posturing by FG and the AG, Fitzpatrick was never going to go to jail for any of these 'crimes' and now the judge has ordered an acquittal.

I called this at the time on a thread only to be abused on a height from those slobbering at the mouth looking for someone to be jailed for something.

someone has to commit a crime to be imprisoned.

I don't necessarily agree.

He was never going to get hard time but IMHO (and it is just my opinion) crimes were committed.

The judge made it clear that the prosecution damaged the case, particularly some actions during the earlier trial.. Hence the acquittal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

TallGlass wrote: »
    Why out of interest is there only one judge on a case of such importance? Should there not have been two at minimum.

Can the state appeal this.

Has anyone actually been jailed for the mess that was caused. I think if I recall, a grand total of 1 person?

You cannot be jailed for making a mess,or for gambling only for committing a crime,,,, breaking the law..

The question is how many people actually broke the law and has the law been amended to ensure that anyone doing something similar again will a actually be breaking a law..

Advertisement