Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Fitzpatrick to get off Scott Free

Options
  • 23-05-2017 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

A judge is to rule that Sean Fitzpatrick be acquitted of all charges in his long running court case. A gang of jurors have been hanging around, at their own expense no doubt, since before Christmas only to be told their decision making efforts will not be necessary.

The Irish Times has the story here

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say I'm delighted for the little c-word.

That's "chap". What did you think I meant?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Good day to bury bad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Silly me holding out a tiny shred of hope that justice would be served.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seems like the prosecutors made an absolute mess of it, totally missed what should have been an open goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Unbelievable. There needs to be firings and a thorough independent investigation of what went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

a waste of time, total posturing by FG and the AG, Fitzpatrick was never going to go to jail for any of these 'crimes' and now the judge has ordered an acquittal.

I called this at the time on a thread only to be abused on a height from those slobbering at the mouth looking for someone to be jailed for something.

someone has to commit a crime to be imprisoned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

A judge is to rule that Sean Fitzpatrick be acquitted of all charges in his long running court case. A gang of jurors have been hanging around, at their own expense no doubt, since before Christmas only to be told their decision making efforts will not be necessary.

The Irish Times has the story here

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say I'm delighted for the little c-word.

That's "chap". What did you think I meant?

Cunt...crook...criminal...cad...cocksucker....perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Not that surprising really, but how much did the whole case cost and why is it only now and not on day 1 that the judge ordered an acquittal? This has cost the taxpayer tens of millions.

So again the question is, why did the judge allow it go this far before ordering an acquittal? Surely a quick review of the evidence at the start would have told him all he needed to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

RayM wrote: »
    Good day to bury bad news.

My exact thought when I seen this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Bet the Enron lads sent to jail for 24 years wish they were Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Tis a great little country :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

So again the question is, why did the judge allow it go this far before ordering an acquittal? Surely a quick review of the evidence at the start would have told him all he needed to know.
    Something new may have come to light... like for example - a juror having inappropriate contact with a party in the case?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

Seems like the prosecutors made an absolute mess of it, totally missed what should have been an open goal.
    It was the country’s longest running criminal trial. When the jury for Sean Fitzpatrick’s case was being selected, directions were given to jurors to exclude themselves if they had been strongly affected by the banking crisis, had been active in any campaigning groups, had been involved in anti-austerity protests, or had expressed themselves on social media about the banking crisis.

Thus avoiding selection. My plan worked perfectly:D!

In all seriousness. Delaying tactics , they stacked the jury and it's a day to bury news. I didn't expect him to end up in mountjoy but we need some form of reprimand for financial crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭SteM

I was up for jury selection for this case back in September, thank God I wasn't picked.

Someone new may have come to light... like for example - a juror having inappropriate contact with a party in the case?
    Lol this was not the first judge. His legal team had the first judge recused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I doubt today was chosen purposely for the judge to acquit him. If nothing happened last night do people think the trial would have gone ahead, or strung along until the next worldwide event?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A gang of jurors have been hanging around, at their own expense no doubt
    No, jurors don't sit around at their own expense. Their employers are obliged to continue paying them and any reasonable expenses are claimable.

It's not a well-paying or fun gig, but you're not left out of pocket.

SteM wrote: »
    I was up for jury selection for this case back in September, thank God I wasn't picked.
    They had to pause it because Jurors had unavoidable personal issues and were sick of getting new jurors. INSANE!

Some of them missed their holidays! :eek:

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I doubt today was chosen purposely for the judge to acquit him. If nothing happened last night do people think the trial would have gone ahead, or strung along until the next worldwide event?
    Puts it in perspective though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

How exactly? He probably wasn't guilty of anything. There was far too much political pressure put on the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement to charge him and they would have been pilloried for not doing anything. The whole thing was a farce from the start to finish just like the Joan Burton/jobstown trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Who is Scott Free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In the 10 years since we figured out that our banks had endangered the existence of the state has any legislation been enacted to ensure it never happens again?

Has the offences against the state (enacted for the very purpose of protecting the states existence we were told) been amended so it can be used against the next wave of seanies and drummos?

Has it ****, business as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

What else could be expected.

The only consolation is that his reputation is completely and thoroughly destroyed.
    While he may have been acquitted but his reputation is irrevocably damaged.
    Your reputation is everything. You may enjoy the finest in material possession, but if your reputation is gone, it's all for nothing.

While he may not serve any prison time, he will now continue to enjoy a special kind of prison.
    Where he is a pariah, an outcast, an embarrassment to his friends and family.

For all his charm and his talents, in the final summation, he is nothing but a crook despite what the courts will say.
    Look at his expression in that IT article. He's a broken man. He knows everyone thinks he is a crook.
    There is some solace in that for me.
    image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Is there such a thing as testing a case pretrial in this country? Or if the evidence meets a minimum threshold to make conviction likely.

It seems to be some cases go the whole way through a trial with little or no prospect of a conviction.

Unless this particular trial was just for show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Finally, a good news story.

We all partied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Why out of interest is there only one judge on a case of such importance? Should there not have been two at minimum.

Can the state appeal this.

Has anyone actually been jailed for the mess that was caused. I think if I recall, a grand total of 1 person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

valoren wrote: »
    What else could be expected.

The only consolation is that his reputation is completely and thoroughly destroyed.
    While he may have been acquitted but his reputation is irrevocably damaged.
    Your reputation is everything. You may enjoy the finest in material possession, but if your reputation is gone, it's all for nothing.

While he may not serve any prison time, he will now continue to enjoy a special kind of prison.
    Where he is a pariah, an outcast, an embarrassment to his friends and family.

For all his charm and his talents, in the final summation, he is nothing but a crook despite what the courts will say.
    Look at his expression in that IT article. He's a broken man. He knows everyone thinks he is a crook.
    There is some solace in that for me.
    image.jpg

But he got acquitted so its all grand. Will probably earn himself a nice little consultancy gig.

This is Ireland where lessons are not learned and memories are short. And accountability is practically non existant.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

After last nights events its difficult to get animated by a parasite like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

It will get worse, wait till he sues the state and gets a massive payoff. Isn't' that the way it works here for people like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Who is Scott Free and what was Sean Fitzpatrick doing on him in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is there such a thing as testing a case pretrial in this country? Or if the evidence meets a minimum threshold to make conviction likely.

It seems to be some cases go the whole way through a trial with little or no prospect of a conviction.

Unless this particular trial was just for show.

The offences against the state act has a very low threshold for burden of proof, basically a senior member of CAB telling the judge that Seanie is guilty as f**k

but heaven forbid that members of the elite every be stuck up in front of the SCC :D

Advertisement