Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I will safely say that everyone is wrong when they talk about what the best game system of all time is because they always forget the true best game system of all time, the DS.

Seriously though, it really is for me the best games system ever made. Just so many gems on it and such a vast and wildly diverse selection of games on it. It's a real shame that for the vast majority of videogame publications don't even acknowledge that handheld gaming exists let alone should be celebrated.

Must keep an eye out for any good 2DS deals for Black Friday. Was toying with the idea of a PSP a while back but looking at the 2DS line up I'm thinking there's more enjoyment to be had there with Fire Emblem, SMT IV, Bravely Default and the likes.

Tactics isn't on Gameboy Advance. FF Tactics Advance 1 and 2 are but.... they aren't great.

The original PS1 Tactics is the game to go for and the best way to play that is the PSP or Android version as they have a translation that isn't badly translated gibberish.

FF4-6 are on GBA. It's a good version of 6 on there, just the music is much weaker than the SNES version. FF4 is good as well but I prefer the PSP version which is the definitive version of that game. The DS/PC version is great as well but it's more a remix of the original game with extra difficulty.

Completely forgot I bought tactics on android years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

9 is probably the most fun to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

skerry wrote: »
    Must keep an eye out for any good 2DS deals for Black Friday. Was toying with the idea of a PSP a while back but looking at the 2DS line up I'm thinking there's more enjoyment to be had there with Fire Emblem, SMT IV, Bravely Default and the likes.

I'd advise checking into the games you want to play, the DS is great and all, but i found the games were massively over priced. I have a 3DS and wanted to play Bravely default myself, but it wasnt sold in most places and those that did were selling it for like €50+.

Not a price I would pay for a handheld games myself, which i suspect was most other peoples reasoning, which is likely why the system isnt held in the highest regard it might deserve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can get a lot of those games digitally for 20 euro now or less.

I love my 3DS but... and it's weird for me to say... the library is very top heavy with JRPGs whereas the DS has a much more diverse library.

• Advertisement

nix wrote: »
    I'd advise checking into the games you want to play, the DS is great and all, but i found the games were massively over priced. I have a 3DS and wanted to play Bravely default myself, but it wasnt sold in most places and those that did were selling it for like €50+.

Not a price I would pay for a handheld games myself, which i suspect was most other peoples reasoning, which is likely why the system isnt held in the highest regard it might deserve.

Had a look at physical copies for Bravely Default and SMT IV there and your right, they ain't cheap. Was hoping they could be got for sane prices digitally as they still have a 3DS eshop. Fire Emblem games are reasonable enough on Amazon at around 20 euro. Must have a look to see if there is a 3DS Eshop price tracker like Deku Deals and see if it would be worth my while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I don't think SMTIV ever came out physically in the EU. Not that its hard to hack your 3DS to be region free these days.

Picked up Grandia HD yesterday evening, the game is as good as it always was but this port represents the barest of bare minimums of what's acceptable.
    These are only issues I've experienced myself in the 4 hours of playtime:

Wrong audio track playing during spoken cutscenes
    Fps drops and syncing issues during every cut scene
    The HD filter suddenly disappearing, revealing the original textures that GungHo didn't bother their hole making accessible to us
    Fps drops during battles
    Partial controller support for a console game released in mid-late 90's. This is particularly baffling.
    all that said though its still Grandia, but if you're tempted to pick this up, I'd just emulate. Its more stable and you have more options available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

megaten wrote: »
    I'd be interested in the modern port of FFIX. The characters are great but the loading times kill the pace of the game.

Use Moguri Mod: https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/home

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Picked up Grandia HD yesterday evening, the game is as good as it always was but this port represents the barest of bare minimums of what's acceptable.
    These are only issues I've experienced myself in the 4 hours of playtime:

Wrong audio track playing during spoken cutscenes
    Fps drops and syncing issues during every cut scene
    The HD filter suddenly disappearing, revealing the original textures that GungHo didn't bother their hole making accessible to us
    Fps drops during battles
    Partial controller support for a console game released in mid-late 90's. This is particularly baffling.
    all that said though the its still Grandia, but if you're tempted to pick this up, I'd just emulate. Its more stable and you have more options available to you.

And unfortunately just like every version released in the West is the inferior PS1 version.

Still a great game though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I bought it as well but annoyed to hear about these issues.

The balls on them to say they were basing it on the PS1 code with Saturn assets. Why even lie about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I don't think SMTIV ever came out physically in the EU. Not that its hard to hack your 3DS to be region free these days.
    No but Final was I'm pretty sure, I remember getting it from UK Amazon

Achievments also not working properly in Grandia. I swabbed that fvcking deck for nothing:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

I will safely say that everyone is wrong when they talk about what the best game system of all time is because they always forget the true best game system of all time, the DS.

Seriously though, it really is for me the best games system ever made. Just so many gems on it and such a vast and wildly diverse selection of games on it. It's a real shame that for the vast majority of videogame publications don't even acknowledge that handheld gaming exists let alone should be celebrated.

It's great, I think the 3DS just edges it out though. Lots of great originals and remakes/ports. Plus it plays DS games too. Will be using mine long after I get a Switch.

Apollo justice despite its problems is still better than the ho-hum tepidness of the 3ds games. I can't forgive Spirit of Justice for walking back on how Ema turned out as an adult.

I've been seriously considering getting a DSi XL for all the games I missed out the first time round.

SoJ was a massive return to form after the awful Dual Destinies (part 2 of Apollo, really). I was worried the series was dead after Dual Destinies. But the music, story, and characters left me hopeful. Can't wait for a Switch sequel. Currently enjoying the fan translation of Great Ace Attorney, it's decent, but still in case 1.

Also the ppi is going to be worse on an XL model, just something to consider.

Evade wrote: »
    I never get the love for FFIX, I've tied it a few times and thought it was pretty boring.

It's not full of melodrama like FFX is, it's a (mostly) chill love letter to the Final Fantasies of old that is a perfect intro for beginners, and has fantastic music, character and story. Nowt touches the PSOne FF games, they were on fire, especially if you consider Vagrant Story and Tactics as well. Squaresoft really lost something in that merger.

Never could get in to Grandia back in the day. Game is straight up hideous.

Found Grandia to be one of the better looking PS1 games, and the Saturn version is straight up gorgeous on that system. You should give it a go again maybe. It's the game Ni No Kuni wished it was instead of the steaming pile of crap that it is.

Also the perceived rot in Square Enix was nothing to do with the merger, more to do with the failure of Square pictures and losing talent there and then the failure of them to adapt their work structure during the PS360 era. I still think they made excellent games with the only high profile stinker being FF13, other than that their internal games have been great to excellent... excluding KH3 but then again that was built upon a stinky game series.

Completely forgot I bought tactics on android years ago

Do you need to grind at the very start? I'm getting beaten pretty easily

Are you in the town where you meet the black mages for the first time?

It's the first of many infamous difficulty spikes. Git gud or die trying.

Or you could make sure you have all best equipment and maybe to some grinding to upgrade out of the squire classes. Let the npcs attack the annoying archers and go for the squishy mages when you bait them close to you. And make sure everyone can heal using herbs.

Found Grandia to be one of the better looking PS1 games

Grandia and Legend of Dragoon are tied for the title of PSOne game that really shouldn't have been hideous considering its' time of release, but was anyway.

I started writing a list of better looking games but it was getting ridiculous.

Grandia and Legend of Dragoon sit somewhere between Syphon Filter and Bubsy 3d.

Vandal Hearts is sorta similar in terms of how they created the game (not the gameplay obviously) but it just shows how important a good art director is, immeasurably better looking title.

Never played GII but just checked out the Switch trailer really rough lighting and that completely weightless run from the protagonist, not an ounce of weight to it. I don't rate the visuals from the artists involved with those two titles at all. Might seem harsh to rag on the lighting in a game from 2000 but MGS2 and Silent Hill 2 came out just a year later on the same hardware...

I'd take Grandia over the utter mess that is legend of dragoon.

It has some very pixelated sprite work due to how bad the PS1 is with 2D due to RAM limitations but think the battles look good and the 3D dungeons are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

About seven hours into Dragon Quest XI on the Switch and really glad I waited. Unlike other DQ games it's grabbed me from the very start and the music is a big part of that, really don't think the original midi soundtrack would be as engrossing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

About seven hours into Dragon Quest XI on the Switch and really glad I waited. Unlike other DQ games it's grabbed me from the very start and the music is a big part of that, really don't think the original midi soundtrack would be as engrossing.

And I really don't even thing its gotten good yet.

It's the definitive edition, novelty of having it on a handheld included. Can't wait to jump into this and Witcher 3 meself, but gotta go through Links Awakening and Luigi's Mansion first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Keep an eye out on CEX for Dragon Quest XI S on Switch. The only thing is that it goes in and out of stock quite quickly. It is only €40 for the physical copy and given how new the game is, there should be no issue with box condition etc.

I had (and traded) the PS4 version after completing about 15 hours. Held off playing any further as I knew I wanted the Switch version.

Brilliant game.

Got back to Octopath Traveler the last 2 weeks and finished up all 8 characters stories last night. Had about 50 hrs done from a few months back and finished up with about 80 played. It's a pity that the stories aren't up to much really but I did enjoy the battle system and the game looks class so it definitely made up for some shortcomings on the story front. The way I worked through it was to do each chapter for all 8 characters and then work up to the next one. Ended up a few of my characters being fairly OP for the last few chapter 4 bosses though which made the fights fairly trivial.

Would be nice if they made a sequel with a more thought out narrative.

So that DQXI demo on Switch, is it really 10 hours of the game? Can the save file be kept if I want to go with the physical version down the road? How big is the demo?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

skerry wrote: »
    Got back to Octopath Traveler the last 2 weeks and finished up all 8 characters stories last night. Had about 50 hrs done from a few months back and finished up with about 80 played. It's a pity that the stories aren't up to much really but I did enjoy the battle system and the game looks class so it definitely made up for some shortcomings on the story front. The way I worked through it was to do each chapter for all 8 characters and then work up to the next one. Ended up a few of my characters being fairly OP for the last few chapter 4 bosses though which made the fights fairly trivial.

Would be nice if they made a sequel with a more thought out narrative.

It is the Ni No Kuni of Switch games and is probably the most overated JRPG in the last 5 years, honestly if they made a sequel it would be even worse as seen with Bravely Default 2, the people behind it actually managed to take the worst parts of both Bravely Default games and somehow made them even worse, plus Acquire have not made a good game in nearly 20 years and it's baffling as to why they were even involved.

Xenji wrote: »
    It is the Ni No Kuni of Switch games and is probably the most overated JRPG in the last 5 years, honestly if they made a sequel it would be even worse as seen with Bravely Default 2, the people behind it actually managed to take the worst parts of both Bravely Default games and somehow made them even worse, plus Acquire have not made a good game in nearly 20 years and it's baffling as to why they were even involved.

Never said it's one of the best and it's definitely not without it's flaws but I enjoyed it all the same.

Is Ni No Kuni not the Ni No Kuni of Switch games now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

PostWoke wrote: »
    So that DQXI demo on Switch, is it really 10 hours of the game? Can the save file be kept if I want to go with the physical version down the road? How big is the demo?

Yes and yes.

Anyone playing Atelier Ryza?

I bought it last night on steam when I was planning to wait. Friend of mine was on to me raving about how good it is. Says the game loop is really fun and the battle system takes a lot of cues from Grandia where it's a real time meter and you can interrupt attacks.

He said the protagonist Ryza is one of the best protagonists as well, she is a real tomboy who does the exact opposite of what her parents say. Also said the game engine is a massive upgrade over the previous engine, the last few games used the 'Musou' engine but this game looks gorgeous and the PC isn't hobbled with a bad port of the Vita version with graphical issues.

Sounds like a return to form for the series after the disappointing Mysterious trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone playing Atelier Ryza?

I bought it last night on steam when I was planning to wait. Friend of mine was on to me raving about how good it is. Says the game loop is really fun and the battle system takes a lot of cues from Grandia where it's a real time meter and you can interrupt attacks.

He said the protagonist Ryza is one of the best protagonists as well, she is a real tomboy who does the exact opposite of what her parents say. Also said the game engine is a massive upgrade over the previous engine, the last few games used the 'Musou' engine but this game looks gorgeous and the PC isn't hobbled with a bad port of the Vita version with graphical issues.

Sounds like a return to form for the series after the disappointing Mysterious trilogy.

I'm gonna take a punt on it !

Advertisement