Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Simple question again, did he quote any figures or actual evidence as to the extent of this problem?

You can read his quote in this thread.

In one sense, aren't 100% of AS bogus, due to the Dublin Convention?

What we do know is that approx. 50% of AS are Asian men, illegally immigrating here from the UK. This has been highlighted before.

We go above and beyond other European countries dealing with bogus asylum seekers.

The reason I asked if he used any stats is that those stats show that. And that he was just doing what he did in the Presidential election...resorting to cheap scaremongering that he knew would tap into a certain demographic and constituency. He has discovered a fairly easily roused rabble in other words, who don't want to look at the actual facts or difficulties around an issue.

It’s blatantly obvious that if Peter Casey said the sky was blue, you would try and find fault in some way with what he said.

It’s the European elections and immigration is an issue that voters in Europe want discussed. To say otherwise is disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It’s blatantly obvious that if Peter Casey said the sky was blue, you would try and find fault in some way with what he said.

It’s the European elections and immigration is an issue that voters in Europe want discussed. To say otherwise is disingenuous.
    Well if he could stick with that claim, that would an actual position. That's really not a thing he does. He just goes wherever the breeze and possible votes will take him. He's not interested in discussions, just stating opinions about things.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,035 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Don't you think it requires 'reasonable, fact based' discussion?

That using emotive terms like 'freeloaders' is just playing to the lowest common denominator?

To me, (like issues around Travellers) this is an emotive issue and politicians (including wannabe politicians) have an onus on them in any decent democracy to not use emotive language or enflame tensions.

By not using facts and figures I think it was clearly evident that once again Casey was 'freeloading' on an easy bandwagon.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well if he could stick with that claim, that would an actual position. That's really not a thing he does. He just goes wherever the breeze and possible votes will take him. He's not interested in discussions, just stating opinions about things.

Within a week he went from wanting out of the Euro to not really wanting out of it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

He may be a little too PC for some.

Within a week he went from wanting out of the Euro to not really wanting out of it. :rolleyes:

Which is absolutely no surprise in a candidate who just thinks he should be elected, no matter what comes out of his mouth.

Bobblehats wrote: »
    He may be a little too PC for some.

I think we call them lifetime non-voters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Riskymove wrote: »
    here is the quote

I think that is clear enough that he doesn't want any more economic migrants... through proper channels or otherwise

but then again he can be contradictory at times

The nerve of him considering he was an economic migrant to America.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I think we call them lifetime non-voters!

I admire him. He’s just being himself.

• Advertisement

Bobblehats wrote: »
    I admire him. He’s just being himself.
    As a businessman I can understand. As a candidate he's poor as he really has no inner core of beliefs. One can respect the likes of Ming and Carthy for their consistency on positions. He has none, just a desire to get himself elected by any means.

Scoundrel wrote: »

And another person who just takes one sentence and uses it out of context.

I despair for the reading comprehension of some of the electorate. I really do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Scoundrel wrote:

Was he a bogus aslysum seeker in America?

He stuck with it on RTÉ.
    Casey today appeared on RTÉ One’s The Week In Politics for a studio debate ahead of next month’s European elections.

He was joined by fellow candidates Maria Walsh of Fine Gael, Brendan Smith of Fianna Fáil, Matt Carty of Sinn Féin and Independent Luke Ming Flanagan.

During the debate, presenter Áine Lawlor asked all candidates if they agree with the principle of free movement within the single market, to which they agreed.

“I think freedom of movement within the EU but we can’t have people coming into Ireland illegally and staying here and expecting to be housed and educated and looked after,” Casey said.

Lawlor asked candidates if they agree that Ireland is taking its fair share of migrants and refugees within the EU.

Fianna Fáil’s Brendan Smith said that Europe needs a “migration policy” before turning to address Casey’s comments in the Sunday Times.

“Europe needs a migration policy but apart from ensuring that people come here who are fleeing torture and horror and war … those people are not freeloaders, Peter,” Smith said.

Smith added that Europe needs to deal with the issues that causes these people to flee their countries.

Lawlor then quizzed Casey on whether people from Syria are those he would call “freeloaders”.

“No, absolutely not. Anybody who is coming from a war-torn area, we absolutely have a responsibility to take our allocation and we should,” Casey said.

“We should give them a passport, we should give help them…” he said.

Casey said Ireland should “take our fair allocation” of refugees but that “we should look after them when we bring them in and we should not put them in sort of an almost jail without walls which is what you call direct provision camps”.

“If they are genuine refugees, we should take our allocation, we should look after them properly. If we’re not going to do that we shouldn’t bring them in the first place, it would be disingenuous,” he said.

Moving to the other candidates, Luke Ming Flanagan said that “if we didn’t have a housing crisis we wouldn’t have the small bit of animosity that is there towards refugees”.

Sinn Féin’s Matt Carthy said: “I think what we need to do, first of all, is actually treat those asylum seekers who are in Ireland with dignity, the direct provision centre should be an absolute source of shame to everybody in Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael.”

Meanwhile, Fine Gael’s Marie Walsh said that “Ireland is richer when we have free movement and the fact that we’re supporting other EU countries, I think it’s absolutely integral”.

I’m still not seeing an issue. He’s talking about illegal economic migrants and the other candidates are trying to attribute that to refugees from Syria!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Don't you think it requires 'reasonable, fact based' discussion?

That using emotive terms like 'freeloaders' is just playing to the lowest common denominator?

To me, (like issues around Travellers) this is an emotive issue and politicians (including wannabe politicians) have an onus on them in any decent democracy to not use emotive language or enflame tensions.

By not using facts and figures I think it was clearly evident that once again Casey was 'freeloading' on an easy bandwagon.

To the rest of us it looks like the way you want to talk about those issues is not too talk about them, or at least not talk about them honestly.

What way would you describe the problems with the drink and drug culture, criminality and anti social behaviour in the travelling community without inflaming tensions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

he was just doing what he did in the Presidential election...resorting to cheap scaremongering that he knew would tap into a certain demographic and constituency. He has discovered a fairly easily roused rabble in other words, who don't want to look at the actual facts or difficulties around an issue.

You should run for the president and lay out your "facts and difficulties" so that the "rabble" will understand better just whats happening in the country.

I look forward to seeing what occurs .

To the rest of us it looks like the way you want to talk about those issues is not too talk about them, or at least not talk about them honestly.

What way would you describe the problems with the drink and drug culture, criminality and anti social behaviour in the travelling community without inflaming tensions?

First off..he didn't talk about 'problems with drink and drug culture, criminality and anti social behaviour'.

He used emotive language to spread falsehoods, i.e.
    'Travellers are basically people who camp on other people's land', which is factually untrue although irrationally believed by some.
    And he implied that 'Special Ethnic Minority Status' gave Travellers more rights than others...when it doesn't and was only introduced in an effort to fix one of the issues within the community - that of marginalisation and parity of esteem.
    The simple idea that f you treat people as equal they may find the motivation to fix problems within their own communities (which there are) themselves.

By all means, talk about issues, but DO NOT sensationalise for your own benefit, misrepresent them and NEVER make them more intractable or worse. Which is all he achieved sadly.

First off..he didn't talk about 'problems with drink and drug culture, criminality and anti social behaviour'.

Head up to Balbriggan or Tyrellstown some day...or any traveller site.

'Travellers are basically people who camp on other people's land', which is factually untrue although irrationally believed by some.
    And he implied that 'Special Ethnic Minority Status' gave Travellers more rights than others...when it doesn't and was only introduced in an effort to fix one of the issues within the community - that of marginalisation and parity of esteem.
    The simple idea that f you treat people as equal they may find the motivation to fix problems within their own communities (which there are) themselves.

By all means, talk about issues, but DO NOT sensationalise for your own benefit, misrepresent them and NEVER make them more intractable or worse. Which is all he achieved sadly.

Didn't know travellers owned the side of the road, or the halting sites.

That is of course not to mention the travelling illegal encampments.
    https://connachttribune.ie/illegal-caravans-blighting-estates-that-already-have-huge-problems/

This is what people see unfortunately and they do not see it being dealt with normally but see instead groups being pandered to.

If the community stamped out this behaviour itself instead of excusing it, it would go much further then any special status in generating parity of esteem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Head up to Balbriggan or Tyrellstown some day...or any traveller site.

or any dodgy settled estate in the country - being a bit choosy are you not in highlighting travellers?

• Advertisement

Didn't know travellers owned the side of the road, or the halting sites.

That is of course not to mention the travelling illegal encampments.
    https://connachttribune.ie/illegal-caravans-blighting-estates-that-already-have-huge-problems/

This is what people see unfortunately and they do not see it being dealt with normally but see instead groups being pandered to.

If the community stamped out this behaviour itself instead of excusing it, it would go much further then any special status in generating parity of esteem.

Travellers are 'not bascially people who camp on other people's land' when the majority of them live in settled housing. Fact.

Appealing to what 'people see' and irrationally believe is no excuse.

If he is speaking the 'truth' back the truth up with facts. Otherwise take the criticism that he is a sensationalist troublemaker, with no solutions, only a hard on for attention and public office. Quite simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

As a businessman I can understand. As a candidate he's poor as he really has no inner core of beliefs. One can respect the likes of Ming and Carthy for their consistency on positions. He has none, just a desire to get himself elected by any means.

Ming is a populist on some issues but is a dime a dozen liberal on social issues, hence why the media go easy on him, bar saving bogs and small farmers, ming could run in Dublin 4 and get elected

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ethnic status bestows certain immunity for travellers, travellers are not prosecuted for truancy re_ their kids school attendance, nor are they given the same focus from revenue re_ lifestyle despite being unemployed, obviously incidents arise where CAB go in and grab car dealership assets etc but most of the small fish are ignored

maccored wrote: »
    or any dodgy settled estate in the country - being a bit choosy are you not in highlighting travellers?

What's a "settled estate"?

Do you mean a normal estate where people work and pay for their accommadation?

What's a "settled estate"?

Do you mean a normal estate where people work and pay for their accommadation?

I mean every estate that has houses in it. in fact anywhere humans exist. The way this thread talks its like only one side of society causes issues.

I mean every estate that has houses in it. in fact anywhere humans exist. The way this thread talks its like only one side of society causes issues.

No,it's not "only one side of society" but i think you'll agree that travellers and immigrants are heavily over-represented in crime figures considering the % population they represent.

No,it's not "only one side of society" but i think you'll agree that travellers and immigrants are heavily over-represented in crime figures considering the % population they represent.

crime is crime, regardless of who does it. Ireland really seems to be heading the way of Trump with that kind of talk.

Travellers are 'not bascially people who camp on other people's land' when the majority of them live in settled housing. Fact.

Appealing to what 'people see' and irrationally believe is no excuse.

If he is speaking the 'truth' back the truth up with facts. Otherwise take the criticism that he is a sensationalist troublemaker, with no solutions, only a hard on for attention and public office. Quite simple.

If travellers don't travel then are they travellers anymore? Casey was indeed glib but the point he was making is that unlike other ethnicity there is nothing distinctive about travellers. He was saying that these groups were not distinct and were just simply Irish.

crime is crime, regardless of who does it. Ireland really seems to be heading the way of Trump with that kind of talk.

I hope ireland does head "the way of trump"...we need a leader who will speak openly and address issues without pandering to a minority of troublemakers or hurting the feelings of those that have never done an honest days work in their lives.

"Ethnic status" my arse.

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Ethnic status bestows certain immunity for travellers, travellers are not prosecuted for truancy re_ their kids school attendance, nor are they given the same focus from revenue re_ lifestyle despite being unemployed, obviously incidents arise where CAB go in and grab car dealership assets etc but most of the small fish are ignored

Ethnic Minority Status does not give them that as a right. nor 'bestows immunity'.

Laziness from those responsible for education and the law, allows that.

Again, the 'truth' told by Casey only encourages irrational kneejerks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement