Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda keeps giving my phone number out and not there own.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

prinzeugen wrote: »
    08X +++ +++=

Thats some proper thick Garda so. We have such high standard police:rolleyes:

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Thats some proper thick Garda so. We have such high standard police:rolleyes:

Do you know what the Gardas number is?
    Do you know what the people ringing ate dialling?
    Maybe we have some proper thick people in the country.

OP, I'm not sure why you think he is giving out the wrong number? Do you have some reason to think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Sounds to me like people are misdialing the number being given by the garda

You could google your number to see if it comes up on any Garda listing of numbers - that could be proof that your number is being used uncorrectly.....other than that it is hard to see how you can blame the gardai but not people perhaps dialling the wrong number

Probably adviseable to put a voice mail saying this is XXX and that if you are looking for someone else you have the wrong number

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    The stupid garda cant even remember his phone number and OP has already told the thick idiot his mistake and yet he keeps doing it.

OP, I'm not sure why you think he is giving out the wrong number? Do you have some reason to think that?

seriously, maybe read OP posts

Listen.
    The OP has no idea what the people ringing the Guard are doing.
    I read his posts, no proof he is giving out the wrong number.
    Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

People are miss dialing you I get about 3 or 4 a year.

I'd never be so bold to believe someone is giving my number out on purpose because that would be an idiotic assumption based on no evidence. People make mistakes.

There's a simple solution to this.

Change your number.

Or don't answer unknown numbers.

No idea how this ended up in legal discussion...

• Advertisement

& I would also say OP, that if your phone number consists of the same number bar the last digit being different, then it's a very easy number to misdial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭LeBash

My guess is it's a card with the wrong number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

listermint wrote: »
    People are miss dialing you I get about 3 or 4 a year.

I'd never be so bold to believe someone is giving my number out on purpose because that would be an idiotic assumption based on no evidence. People make mistakes.

There's a simple solution to this.

Change your number.

Or don't answer unknown numbers.

No idea how this ended up in legal discussion...

I never said they were doing it on purpose. And why should I have to change my number? I have had it for about 20 years! And not answering unknown numbers is not an option as I use my phone for work. Also ignoring unknown numbers wont stop the calls at all hours of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

08X +++ +++=

Do you know what the guards number is.
    Is it something like 08X +++ +++- or 08X +++ ++==

I never said they were doing it on purpose. And why should I have to change my number? I have had it for about 20 years! And not answering unknown numbers is not an option as I use my phone for work. Also ignoring unknown numbers wont stop the calls at all hours of the night.

well what exactly you do you want?
    you have no proof your number is being given out, my best guess is that people are misdialling, pretty easy to do when a number consists of a lot of the same number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,580 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

OP it’s probably a card with a mistake in the number.
    Just like the “there” instead of “their” in your thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Next time it happens, ask the caller what number they were given; then you will know if they've made a mistake dialing, or if they've actually been given your number.
    If it's the latter, also ask if they were told it and wrote it down themselves, or were handed a card with the number on it etc.

I would guess most likely its a case of misdialling or else they took the number down wrong themselves....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

endacl wrote: »
    Just answer with, ‘feck off and sort it out yourself. I’ve no interest in dealing with you*’. Don’t identify yourself. Once the complaints start rolling in to the station the problem will be sorted.

* Technically true. And technically true is, as we all know, the best kind of true.

If you are going to do it then be creative.....

"You have reached the line for the medicals for Sinn Fein, leave your number and Tiocfadh Ar Lá"
    "This is the line for Madame DuN'phy's Masion Derrier, may i take your booking?"
    "This is Darrens phone, Hash €20 an ounce, and 8 Ball €50 euro, miscellaneous pills borrowed from a vets car €5, if you havent cash will take mobile phones and play stations"
    "This is the line for Torture Gardens play event, Bring your own toys and wipes will be on hand. Be ready for inspection down there, party starts at 9, dont be late."

Mod
    Scooterblue2
    Pls do not post again on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You should change your number because your on the internet raging about the problem and you won't not answer unknown numbers.

Simple as that.

Nostalgia about a phone number... I mean I've had three in that time various work numbers too.

Don't worry it's not your surname its a phone people will still know who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

"This is Darrens phone, Hash €20 an ounce, and 8 Ball €50 euro, miscellaneous pills borrowed from a vets car €5, if you havent cash will take mobile phones and play stations"

Erm... could I get Darren's actual number, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

listermint wrote: »
    You should change your number because your on the internet raging about the problem and you won't not answer unknown numbers.

Simple as that.

Nostalgia about a phone number... I mean I've had three in that time various work numbers too.

Don't worry it's not your surname its a phone people will still know who you are.

But if the OP changed their number and it's advisable to not answer unknown numbers, the OP just ends up with a new problem.

Just block unknown numbers, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Why should the OP give up a golden number? Would you?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Could it be that the guards number is the same as yours but the code is different. I keep getting calls for Rory who is a vet, we've the same main number but his code is different to mine. I definitely get 3 to 4 calls a month looking for him. Now if they phone I just give them the right code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

This is a problem at Garda end, taking posts at face value. No reason OP should do anything to inconvenience himself to solve their problem. In an era of two factor authentication and contactless payments changing a number is going to be a PITA. Write to the super and give a few examples. Says its Data Protection breach and maybe GSOC if it keeps up. Give them a fortnight. Log everything.

• Advertisement

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    This is a problem at Garda end, taking posts at face value. No reason OP should do anything to inconvenience himself to solve their problem. In an era of two factor authentication and contactless payments changing a number is going to be a PITA. Write to the super and give a few examples. Says its Data Protection breach and maybe GSOC if it keeps up. Give them a fortnight. Log everything.

It's no problem to the guards, they are not getting people calling them by mistake, the OP is. & it is clearly giving him some distress......

Data protection breach, lol
    Clearly people are misdialling. I don't know how anyone thinks anything else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

. Says its Data Protection breach and maybe GSOC if it keeps up. Give them a fortnight. Log everything.

Mention GPRD and the Data Protection Commision. The Data Protection will want to do an Audit afterwards and you never know what that will turn up. that will fet stuff moving

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

I feel your pain. Some taxi driver/take away delivery guy in Cork is handing out my number. I had to set my phone automatically go on mute at night with exception of known numbers. Wasn't fun getting calls at 3am from drunkards looking for a fare. I also complained to deliveroo and they did nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Is the Garda doing anything wrong though? The callers leaving voicemails are voluntarily leaving their data. The Garda is not disclosing other person’s data on the poster’s voicemail. I can’t see any wrongdoing by the Garda. I can’t see his Superintendent being able to force him to do anything, and I don’t see GSOC being able to hold him accountable for the actions of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

08X +++ +++=

The X has 5 possibilities

The plus has 9 remaining possibilities

And the = has 8 possibilitis

Your number has 360 possibilities 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Crock Rock wrote: »
    The X has 5 possibilities

The plus has 9 remaining possibilities

And the = has 8 possibilitis

Your number has 360 possibilities ��

surely = has 9 as well , 0 can be used as the last number

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

08X +++ +++=

if the first 6 digits are the same then i have already described exactly what is happening as the same thing happens to me. Except in your case it is even easier to make a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

RobbieMD wrote: »
    Is the Garda doing anything wrong though? The callers leaving voicemails are voluntarily leaving their data. The Garda is not disclosing other person’s data on the poster’s voicemail. I can’t see any wrongdoing by the Garda. I can’t see his Superintendent being able to force him to do anything, and I don’t see GSOC being able to hold him accountable for the actions of others.

AGS have previously been informed of issue. Issue persists. What steps have been taken by AGS? Have they given the correct number on a business card to people? Have they sent the number as a business card direct to phone of the person who needs it? There are simple steps here to solve this.

So who is disclosing data? Callers are leaving messages in good faith that that is a Garda number. AGS have knowledge of the problem and done nothing. Negligence. There is a start for GSOC. Why has AGS persisted with a number giving rise to data breaches and, horror of horrors, imagine a journalist hacked OP’s voicemail and an investigation, prosecution or trial was compromised? Tut tut.

There is a data breach occurring. I’d be inclined to report to Suped that it’s going to Data Commissioner. Let Super decide if they want to find out who’s responsible.

OP: check your tyres, tax, insurance. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Is the number 0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

or 087 999 999 9

??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It may be an 086 or 087 rather than 085 mistake which is easier make than the big number.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement