Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda keeps giving my phone number out and not there own.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Crock Rock wrote: »
    The X has 5 possibilities

The plus has 9 remaining possibilities

And the = has 8 possibilitis

Your number has 360 possibilities 😂

They have the number 20 years, I think that limits x to 6 or 7 (there was 8 back then also but they're all gone), so down to 144.

Edit: as pen Turner pointed out it could finish with 0 so 162 options (I actually suspect given age of number + is further limited but don't know for sure) .

I feel sorry for op but I can't see that anything wrong is being done. No one is doing it deliberately. Depending on the guards number it could be easy to misdial with the same number so many times.

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    AGS have previously been informed of issue. Issue persists. What steps have been taken by AGS? Have they given the correct number on a business card to people? Have they sent the number as a business card direct to phone of the person who needs it? There are simple steps here to solve this.

So who is disclosing data? Callers are leaving messages in good faith that that is a Garda number. AGS have knowledge of the problem and done nothing. Negligence. There is a start for GSOC. Why has AGS persisted with a number giving rise to data breaches and, horror of horrors, imagine a journalist hacked OP’s voicemail and an investigation, prosecution or trial was compromised? Tut tut.

There is a data breach occurring. I’d be inclined to report to Suped that it’s going to Data Commissioner. Let Super decide if they want to find out who’s responsible.

OP: check your tyres, tax, insurance. 😉

BS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

spurious wrote: »
    It may be an 086 or 087 rather than 085 mistake which is easier make than the big number.

No can't be, his number is so simple it is totally impossible for people to make a mistake.

The garda has a vendeta against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

if the first 6 digits are the same then i have already described exactly what is happening as the same thing happens to me. Except in your case it is even easier to make a mistake.

X + = are all different characters so I was assuming they were all different numbers, ie no number repeated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Crock Rock wrote: »
    X + = are all different characters so I was assuming they were all different numbers, ie no number repeated

Skipped through the latest posts, but I would think in general this should be the case, but would not be surprises if the X as part of the "area", "company" code (even though it is not used like this anymore), could possibly be the same as the second part + and = again, not that it really matters, because onle one number, that of the garda, needs to be similar....

Also not sure if someone ruled out a zero as the first number? But I have seen numbers that use the format 08X 0........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

ForestFire wrote: »
    Skipped through the latest posts, but I would think in general this should be the case, but would not be surprises if the X as part of the "area", "company" code (even though it is not used like this anymore), could possibly be the same as the second part + and = again, not that it really matters, because onle one number, that of the garda, needs to be similar....

Also not sure if someone ruled out a zero as the first number? But I have seen numbers that use the format 08X 0........

Didn't cross my mind. Back to leaving cert probability for me

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

AGS have previously been informed of issue. Issue persists. What steps have been taken by AGS? Have they given the correct number on a business card to people? Have they sent the number as a business card direct to phone of the person who needs it? There are simple steps here to solve this.

So who is disclosing data? Callers are leaving messages in good faith that that is a Garda number. AGS have knowledge of the problem and done nothing. Negligence. There is a start for GSOC. Why has AGS persisted with a number giving rise to data breaches and, horror of horrors, imagine a journalist hacked OP’s voicemail and an investigation, prosecution or trial was compromised? Tut tut.

There is a data breach occurring. I’d be inclined to report to Suped that it’s going to Data Commissioner. Let Super decide if they want to find out who’s responsible.

Your first paragraph in your post is full of speculation about what may or may not have happened. That’s impossible to comment on with any accuracy.

Regarding your second paragraph, if it was the Garda leaving voicemails then I could see an issue. Do you know the Garda has done nothing to resolve the issue? The op doesn’t mention that fact. Perhaps the number is online and people are just tapping it to ring when required. Perhaps the Garda isn’t aware the number is online, and as such it’s beyond his control. We could speculate all day long.

Is there a data breach if the person is volunteering their data? There is no suggestion so far that the Garda concerned has disclosed someone’s data.

If the op has a voicemail setup, I’d be inclined to make sure my message made it clear who I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Complete rubbish

People misdial all the time. I get about 1 a month. I’ve learned so far the guy lives in Kilkenny cause the last one was a Dpd delivery guy calling about a package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

heroics wrote: »
    Complete rubbish

People misdial all the time. I get about 1 a month. I’ve learned so far the guy lives in Kilkenny cause the last one was a Dpd delivery guy calling about a package.

If you read the thread there’s a bit more to it. Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

bubblypop wrote: »
    well what exactly you do you want?
    you have no proof your number is being given out, my best guess is that people are misdialling, pretty easy to do when a number consists of a lot of the same number.

Eh... I am getting multiple calls from about 8-9 different places (as explained earlier) and now calls from members of the public.

Why would they be calling me otherwise?

Its not easy. You might put in one + more or one + less and the call wont connect then.

• Advertisement

Just block unknown numbers, no?

These are not unknown numbers. I never answer them anyway. If its important you get a voicemail.

Its numbers that show the number of the person that is calling that I have to answer. Work depends on it!

I can not afford to send every call from a number that I do not recognize to voicemail.

So what's the best solution if different individuals are dialing the wrong number by mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭ForestFire

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Its not easy. You might put in one + more ore one + less and the call wont connect then.

But its not your number they are miss dialling, so this makes no sense.

It's some other number they are miss dialling and they are likely adding an extra + to this other number plus dialling 1 digit more than needed that will be ignored.

Someone gave an example earlier in the thread of how this could easily happen and get your number.

If you read the thread there’s a bit more to it. Good man.

No there isn’t. The op assumes that a Garda is handing out their number. He has no proof other than he gets loads of calls. He has said his number is an easy number to remember. Maybe the Garda number is similiar and it’s just human error as has been pointed out a number of times.

No gdpr/data breach etc. What exactly does he expect the super/gsoc/data commissioner to do? Change the gardas no so it’s not like the OPs? Ring everyone who makes the mistake and tell them not to do it again?

No gdpr/data breach etc. What exactly does he expect the super/gsoc/data commissioner to do? Change the gardas no so it’s not like the OPs? Ring everyone who makes the mistake and tell them not to do it again?

Yes this is eactly what he believes should happen.

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes this is eactly what he believes should happen.

:) best of luck with that

ForestFire wrote: »
    But its not your number they are miss dialling, so this makes no sense.

It's some other number they are miss dialling and they are likely adding an extra + to this other number plus dialling 1 digit more than needed that will be ignored.

Someone gave an example earlier in the thread of how this could easily happen and get your number.

I never said that they are dialing my number wrong. I am saying that this Garda is giving people my number not theirs...

Put it this way. Either the Garda is giving out their number wrong or 10 people a week cant dial for ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

No there isn’t. The op assumes that a Garda is handing out their number. He has no proof other than he gets loads of calls. He has said his number is an easy number to remember. Maybe the Garda number is similiar and it’s just human error as has been pointed out a number of times.

When I'm looking for online insurance quotes and a phone no is required I normally just change my 08 prefix to a competitor and fill in the rest with my number.
    Can't be ar$ed answering everyone from AA to Zurich the next day so just pass them off elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

I never said that they are dialing my number wrong. I am saying that this Garda is giving people my number not theirs...

Put it this way. Either the Garda is giving out their number wrong or 10 people a week cant dial for ****.

I can’t believe a Garda would be giving out his number incorrectly.

A third possibility is that the number is listed somewhere incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

your number is easy to remember, maybe the Guards is easy to forget?

• Advertisement

RobbieMD wrote: »
    Your first paragraph in your post is full of speculation about what may or may not have happened. That’s impossible to comment on with any accuracy.

I said in my first paragraph:AGS have previously been informed of issue. Issue persists.
    OP said in his very first post:
    As The title says, a member of the Garda keeps giving my mobile to people rather than their own.....I posted here before about a voicemail that contained specific details about a case and contacted the station that this Garda was based and was promised it would not happen again....Obviously speaking to them didn't work {

My first paragraph starts with a restatement of the claims by OP. I am not speculating.
    I continue with questions about whether the AGS took some simple steps to solve the problem and give examples. I make it very obvious by saying "there are simple steps to solve this". I didn't speculate that the Gardai had sat on their arses, had a laugh, played pool. I asked what steps they might have taken. That's why I used question marks. Your assertion about my first paragraph is simply lazy reading and an absence of thought.

Regarding your second paragraph, if it was the Garda leaving voicemails then I could see an issue. Do you know the Garda has done nothing to resolve the issue? The op doesn’t mention that fact.

What I do know, continuing to take OP at face value, is that the problem persists. I never claimed that AGS had done nothing so asking me about whether the garda had done anything is simply doing what I did in the first paragraph i.e. ask what steps to solve the thing had been done. The issue is very clear: there is a data breach and possibly, note possibly, depending on the information left on voicemail, a prosecution compromised. That's why I made the point about that information getting to a wider audience. Any responsible Super would see the issue immediately.

Perhaps the number is online and people are just tapping it to ring when required. Perhaps the Garda isn’t aware the number is online, and as such it’s beyond his control. We could speculate all day long.
    Speculation. Off with you.
    Is there a data breach if the person is volunteering their data? There is no suggestion so far that the Garda concerned has disclosed someone’s data.

That's not the point. The point is that confidential personal information is being sent to the wrong phone by people who believe it is a Garda number after AGS were alerted to the problem. The Garda Code of Ethics P. 17 points to the importance of managing information carefully. https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/publications/policy-documents/code-of-ethics-english-1-5-18.pdf It's not enough to say that the Garda isn't doing it himself: they have been alerted to a problem with their collection of sensitive information and taking OP at face value have not solved the problem.
    If the op has a voicemail setup, I’d be inclined to make sure my message made it clear who I was.
    A good practical suggestion.

The real solution to this is of course written complaint and involvement of Data Protection Commissioner first. Let them handle it. I suspect once AGS hear of that problem it will be sorted quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

bubblypop wrote: »
    It's no problem to the guards, they are not getting people calling them by mistake, the OP is. & it is clearly giving him some distress......

Data protection breach, lol
    Clearly people are misdialling. I don't know how anyone thinks anything else!

Maybe the Guards / Garda IS getting people calling them by mistake as well...

OP... Ask the callers what number they're trying to ring. Either that or ring your own number using different pre-fixes to see if a Garda owns any of those phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

maybe the guard has great confidence that YOU will solve the case.

Maybe the Guards / Garda IS getting people calling them by mistake as well...

OP... Ask the callers what number they're trying to ring. Either that or ring your own number using different pre-fixes to see if a Garda owns any of those phones.

They are trying to ring my number.. When you join a doctor or a club for the kids, a parent gives a contact number. You write it in ink on paper.

This is not just Garda stuff I am getting calls about. Its stuff to do with this persons mother, kids, eye tests, schools, house sales and rent on a current property. I said that in the OP.

I know everything about this Garda other than their name! I ignored it.

I am going to write a letter (registered) to the SUP of that station.

If the calls persist then I will go down the other routes as suggested here.
    Personal details - Data Protection Commissioner

Garda Stuff - GSOC.

And to the guys trying to work out my mobile. Even if you get to 5.. you will be wrong. I am not that stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

They are trying to ring my number.. When you join a doctor or a club for the kids, a parent gives a contact number. You write it in ink on paper.

This is not just Garda stuff I am getting calls about. Its stuff to do with this persons mother, kids, eye tests, schools, house sales and rent on a current property. I said that in the OP.

I know everything about this Garda other than their name! I ignored it.

I am going to write a letter (registered) to the SUP of that station.

If the calls persist then I will go down the other routes as suggested here.
    Personal details - Data Protection Commissioner

Garda Stuff - GSOC.

So these people are having full blown conversations with you and you still don't know who they're looking for ??

99 times out of a hundred if I ring someone I start by using their name. If it's the wrong person they tend to tell me straight away, not head into details about their rent or their latest criminal enterprise.

99 times out of a hundred when I get calls people start by saying my name. If they've dialed a wrong number then we usually establish that before they get to tell me about their granny, their dog or the price of their house.

I dialed wrong numbers and I've received calls from mis-dialed numbers and I'd imagine that most people have. Inevitably they're cut short before all the juicy details come out ... Strange that the same doesn't seem to happen with yourself !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

So these people are having full blown conversations with you and you still don't know who they're looking for ??

99 times out of a hundred if I ring someone I start by using their name. If it's the wrong person they tend to tell me straight away, not head into details about their rent or their latest criminal enterprise.

99 times out of a hundred when I get calls people start by saying my name. If they've dialed a wrong number then we usually establish that before they get to tell me about their granny, their dog or the price of their house.

I dialed wrong numbers and I've received calls from mis-dialed numbers and I'd imagine that most people have. Inevitably they're cut short before all the juicy details come out ... Strange that the same doesn't seem to happen with yourself !!

All great detectives hold their peace.

So everyone that rings for this Guard doesn't use his name? Rubbish. Particularly if they are leaving voice mails.
    It's actually funny that you believe your number is so easy to remember that someone can't ring you by mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

Is there anyway you could get the Garda's real number and give it out when you are called incorrectly? Our home phone number had a digit different to a Chinese takeaway. Friday night's in our house were fun :D We just gave out the correct number.

I look forward to hearing from OP as to the outcome of this situation.

• Advertisement

Do you think I am stupid enough to post stuff here? Out of all the replies to my OP only one or two have answered my question so thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement