Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda keeps giving my phone number out and not there own.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Get a solicitor.

I think there might be a few bob in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

prinzeugen wrote: »
    They are trying to ring my number.. When you join a doctor or a club for the kids, a parent gives a contact number. You write it in ink on paper.

This is not just Garda stuff I am getting calls about. Its stuff to do with this persons mother, kids, eye tests, schools, house sales and rent on a current property. I said that in the OP.

I know everything about this Garda other than their name! I ignored it.

I am going to write a letter (registered) to the SUP of that station.

If the calls persist then I will go down the other routes as suggested here.
    Personal details - Data Protection Commissioner

Garda Stuff - GSOC.

And to the guys trying to work out my mobile. Even if you get to 5.. you will be wrong. I am not that stupid!

There is something strange about this scenario. A Garda does not give out their own personal number nevermind to every second person as it appears to be here

Btw how do you not know their name if all these people are contacting you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

There is something strange about this scenario. A Garda does not give out their own personal number nevermind to every second person as it appears to be here

Hence the caveats that for the purposes of the thread the OP is taken at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Do you think I am stupid enough to post stuff here? Out of all the replies to my OP only one or two have answered my question so thank you.

..... Out of all the replies to this thread there has been one person who agrees with me.... Thank you

Says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    I said in my first paragraph:AGS have previously been informed of issue. Issue persists.
    OP said in his very first post:

My first paragraph starts with a restatement of the claims by OP. I am not speculating.
    I continue with questions about whether the AGS took some simple steps to solve the problem and give examples. I make it very obvious by saying "there are simple steps to solve this". I didn't speculate that the Gardai had sat on their arses, had a laugh, played pool. I asked what steps they might have taken. That's why I used question marks. Your assertion about my first paragraph is simply lazy reading and an absence of thought.

What I do know, continuing to take OP at face value, is that the problem persists. I never claimed that AGS had done nothing so asking me about whether the garda had done anything is simply doing what I did in the first paragraph i.e. ask what steps to solve the thing had been done. The issue is very clear: there is a data breach and possibly, note possibly, depending on the information left on voicemail, a prosecution compromised. That's why I made the point about that information getting to a wider audience. Any responsible Super would see the issue immediately.

Speculation. Off with you.

That's not the point. The point is that confidential personal information is being sent to the wrong phone by people who believe it is a Garda number after AGS were alerted to the problem. The Garda Code of Ethics P. 17 points to the importance of managing information carefully. https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/publications/policy-documents/code-of-ethics-english-1-5-18.pdf It's not enough to say that the Garda isn't doing it himself: they have been alerted to a problem with their collection of sensitive information and taking OP at face value have not solved the problem.

A good practical suggestion.

The real solution to this is of course written complaint and involvement of Data Protection Commissioner first. Let them handle it. I suspect once AGS hear of that problem it will be sorted quickly.

Your first paragraph was speculation about how the number became available by business card. Is that not speculation? You were the first to raise that as a means of the phone number becoming available.

Do you expect AGS to publish nationwide the phone number and ask people not to ring it? What are the simple steps that AGS can take to resolve it? Should the Garda be made change his number? If so, why should he and not the op?

We don’t know what steps have been taken. As we’re speculating, perhaps the Garda has changed his number and the old number is on some online page that he neither knows about or has control over. Perhaps AGS have self reported to the Data commissioner. Or perhaps the Garda is doing it to wind the op up, but he must’nt mind missing a tonne of calls and voicemails.

The Garda code of ethics? Really, you’re clutching at straws here. The garda is not disclosing anyone’s information. He is not responsible for the actions of others. There was an issue with Gardai not signing the code of ethics when the latest Commisioner brought it in. Perhaps he isn’t signed up to it? Can he be made comply with a code he didn’t sign up to?

When you said
    “OP: check your tyres, tax, insurance “ that told me everything I need to know about you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

This ^^^^

A guard isn't going handing out their personal number to loads of members of the public. Also you don't know his name but somehow know what station he's from. Between that and your number being "impossible" to mix up with another none of this makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Just change the voicemail to "Hello and welcome to Irish psychics live. Call costs Euro 3.45 per minute. However if you are just looking for X X please leave a message"

I get similar in my email. My email is a very easy to remember one. Its my first initial and second name @ a bit email provider. So I have got hotel booking, crazy NSFW pictures from stag parties, questions to some college lecture and the best one was the results from an STD screening (they passed) I probably get one once a month at this stage.

RobbieMD wrote: »
    Your first paragraph was speculation about how the number became available by business card. Is that not speculation? You were the first to raise that as a means of the phone number becoming available.

Do you expect AGS to publish nationwide the phone number and ask people not to ring it? What are the simple steps that AGS can take to resolve it? Should the Garda be made change his number? If so, why should he and not the op?

We don’t know what steps have been taken. As we’re speculating, perhaps the Garda has changed his number and the old number is on some online page that he neither knows about or has control over. Perhaps AGS have self reported to the Data commissioner. Or perhaps the Garda is doing it to wind the op up, but he must’nt mind missing a tonne of calls and voicemails.

The Garda code of ethics? Really, you’re clutching at straws here. The garda is not disclosing anyone’s information. He is not responsible for the actions of others. There was an issue with Gardai not signing the code of ethics when the latest Commisioner brought it in. Perhaps he isn’t signed up to it? Can he be made comply with a code he didn’t sign up to?

When you said
    “OP: check your tyres, tax, insurance “ that told me everything I need to know about you.

This is indicative that you haven’t understood the points I’m making. You simply don’t get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I'll post this again because not really sure op and others are getting it.

OP confirmed his number is as below.

08X +++ +++=

OP also has no direct evidence that he shared on this thread that the garda is giving the ops number out, except for the large amount of calls he receives.

So let's say his number is as below to make it easier to understand.

087 888 8889

Now if the gardas number is any of the below, it is easy for the average intelligent public to make mistakes.

Garda number--087 888 8895 (last digit could be any number)
    Mistake- 087 888 88895 (last digit ignored when dialling)

Garda number - 085 888 8889
    Mistake - 087 888 8889 (087 prefix habit with some people)

In fact with the high number of repeating 8's, in this example, mistakes are even easier than if you had a complex number.

Also some more possibilities below with spaces removed for extra confusion.

OP - 0877777776
    G - 0877777767

OP - 0871111112
    G - 0871111121

The OPs predicament (and let’s all accept that we are taking it at face value here) is that he is repeatedly ending up in possession of personal information of a member of AGS, of sensitive information in relation to the activities of AGS and that despite complaint and assurance that it would be sorted, it persists.

Legally he can raise the issue with DPC, possibly GSOC. How they would react remains to be seen.

What interests me at this stage is the legal status of information which you come into possession of by others actions but is not something you have legal access to normally.
    So if medical records are found in landfill, placed there by error who owns them? Or if OP was a journalist and received info on an ongoing high profile case in this way could he use it for an exclusive? If info is voluntarily placed in my possession but by error what rights of use and ownership have I, if any?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If people are frequently calling the OPs number by mistake and giving out their own personal information without confirming they have connected to the correct phone perhaps the telecom company or regulartor could remove his number for the pool and give him a new one.
    Does someone have a legal right to keep their own number? Who owns it?

tuxy wrote: »
    If people are frequently calling the OPs number by mistake and giving out their own personal information without confirming they have connected to the correct phone perhaps the telecom company or regulartor could remove his number for the pool and give him a new one.
    Does someone have a legal right to keep their own number? Who owns it?

AFAIK the telecom companies are licensed by the state which retains numbers as an asset. I still see no reason for OP to change his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

08X +++ +++=
    ForestFire wrote: »
    I'll post this again because not really sure op and others are getting it.

OP confirmed his number is as below.

08X +++ +++=

OP also has no direct evidence that he shared on this thread that the garda is giving the ops number out, except for the large amount of calls he receives.

So let's say his number is as below to make it easier to understand.

087 888 8889

Now if the gardas number is any of the below, it is easy for the average intelligent public to make mistakes.

Garda number--087 888 8895 (last digit could be any number)
    Mistake- 087 888 88895 (last digit ignored when dialling)

Garda number - 085 888 8889
    Mistake - 087 888 8889 (087 prefix habit with some people)

In fact with the high number of repeating 8's, in this example, mistakes are even easier than if you had a complex number.

Also some more possibilities below with spaces removed for extra confusion.

OP - 0877777776
    G - 0877777767

OP - 0871111112
    G - 0871111121

this is exactly what happens. I know this because i get the same. for some reason the OP seems to keep dismissing this possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

this is exactly what happens. I know this because i get the same. for some reason the OP seems to keep dismissing this possibility.

It seemslike he has some issue with An Garda Siochan. So if he can like this to them he will.

People dial the wrong number all the time. When it's a very simple number you can be sure people make that mistake far more frequently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Closing this
    Anyone concerned may go to DPC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement