Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The jealousy thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

McAlban wrote: »

They take a long term view of infrastructure and build quickly, unlike here were they take a long term time to decide on infrastructure and even longer to build.

Here were they take a long time to decide on infrastructure and even longer to fail to build.

Just look at the children's hospital, the DU and MN, M20, and how long Tallaght Hospital was an election promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

On the 70 years or the €11 billion?

At this stage the 11bl. We've talking about DU since the 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was in Dusseldorf a few weeks ago. Pedestrian crossings there don't have buttons, they somehow sense you and after maybe 5 seconds you get a green man. Totally jealous of that, the ped crossing near where I live takes about a minute to change to green, by which point most people have already crossed the road and there's a line of traffic sitting at a red for no reason!

I'm also jealous of countries that allow cars to wait for pedestrians to cross the zebra before doing a left turn. Its such a simple and efficient process for both for the walker and the driver

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

After dealing with Dublin airport on probably it's busiest day/weekend of year I thought it was having trouble coping. Then I landed at Manchester on a bog normal weekend (no bank holiday and the schools are in).

We definitely do public owned airports better than our near neighbour...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I've been in a lot of airports and think DUB is one of the best *when talking purely about the airport itself*. The connective infrastructure needs a lot of work, but especially T2 is calm, relatively quiet, and well designed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

L1011 wrote: »
    After dealing with Dublin airport on probably it's busiest day/weekend of year I thought it was having trouble coping. Then I landed at Manchester on a bog normal weekend (no bank holiday and the schools are in).

We definitely do public owned airports better than our near neighbour...

Yeah, it's not a great Airport, but it does have a rail link to the City.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Birmingham today is rather better than Manchester yesterday - it's privatised though. MAN has three small, worn out terminals and everything in them below needed capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

Grandeeod wrote: »
    A different world lads. A different world altogether.:rolleyes:

I know it's apples and oranges but here's another. 1bl pounds for a tunnel to run power cables? Sure why not

https://youtu.be/Mm5khEUIBx0
    Other smaller cities have been doing it for years, ok the hardrock helps but this video shows just a tiny percentage of Helsinki`s underground world.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXNyEiw28D0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Birmingham today is rather better than Manchester yesterday - it's privatised though. MAN has three small, worn out terminals and everything in them below needed capacity

I really like Birmingham airport. It's tiny but so accessible by train and car, and security through it is very quick and efficient since they usually open all lanes. They tend to be more thorough with security than in Dublin yet the queues move much faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Any country that has the extra headroom for double decker trains imagine an eight car peak hours train to say maynooth with double the capacity it has currently or even have them on the dart and it would like the rer in paris. It would be great aswell if dublin could have one single railway terminus in a central location merging both connolly and hueston into one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Any country that has the extra headroom for double decker trains imagine an eight car peak hours train to say maynooth with double the capacity it has currently or even have them on the dart and it would like the rer in paris. It would be great aswell if dublin could have one single railway terminus in a central location merging both connolly and hueston into one.

Yeah, the VIRM in the Netherlands. Actually quite comfortable despite the compactness. And Specific Carriages for bringing you bike into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

McAlban wrote: »
    and a driverless metro
    I've been dreaming about this in particular lately...

I'm in the arse of rural Portugal, yet the local authority for this town has a sports centre, two pools and a cultural centre with a cinema in it. Our infrastructure deficit goes very deep

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I'm in the arse of rural Portugal, yet the local authority for this town has a sports centre, two pools and a cultural centre with a cinema in it. Our infrastructure deficit goes very deep

You can find gold-plated GAA clubs in villages of 100 people in Ireland.

spacetweek wrote: »

And that's about it. And fed from sports funding rather than infrastructure funds.

Ended up, via the event I was at, meeting the town engineer and getting to see some of the other stuff

Main Street traffic has been diverted to a tunnel to pedestrianise. Town square has a massive underground carpark under it with lifts up. Also under the square are two large public spaces, one used as a music jam / recording room and one used as a kids Lego play and display area - all public owned.

The weekly market is on the square, but there's an indoor building for it when it rains - which it does a lot in mountainous Portugal. Local and long-distance buses have a proper bus station, not a bus stop on a turning circle as is the norm here.

It was the Portuguese national day that weekend so the square had a temporary marquee on it for a larger market and bands - a terrible Abba tribute was on at one point. They have municipal, free wifi. On the private sector side there's some 6 storey buildings, which would give most planners here palpitations outside a city centre.

This is a town of 9,500 people! Hinterland is maybe another 5k. Also in a country that we'd usually consider broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

spacetweek wrote: »

A field and goalposts does not constitute a 'gold plated sports facility'.

Are the coaches trained and accredited? What are the changing rooms like? Hot showers? We couldn't manage hot showers for our ladies 6 Nations team a couple of years ago ffs.

Life ain't always empty.

Lisbon : Buses, so many tram lines they can run heritage routes for the tourist and 3 metro lines with platforms longer than the trains just in case something mad happens like the population of the city grows

Lisbon : Buses, some many tram lines they can run heritage routes for the tourist and 3 metro lines with platforms longer than the trains just in case something mad happens like the population of the city grows

Whereas we have the people who brought us 'mini-Luas' on the red line...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This thread would depress ya! :(

This thread would depress ya! :(

It's meant to make you jealous! Talk about missing the point completely ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's meant to make you jealous! Talk about missing the point completely ;)

Jealousy and depression go hand in hand sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This is where I changed trains on the way to my office this morning. Inter-City and express regional, regional and city services cross at right angles to each other (there's an elevated section and an underground section). The Underground also serves the station in a limited manner until the U55 is replaced by integrating it into the extended U5 (under construction). Sorry.

Ah to live in a city that was decimated by bombs and then rebuilt by American money....

Yes, because all cities with good infrastructure were bombed to the ground... and all cities that were bombed to the ground have great infrastructure. I mean, look at Coventry.

Yes, because all cities with good infrastructure were bombed to the ground... and all cities that were bombed to the ground have great infrastructure. I mean, look at Coventry.

Who said anything like that?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Ah to live in a city that was decimated by bombs and then rebuilt by American money....
    Berlin central station was built in 2006. Oh and half the city was under the control of the Soviet Union and there was no Marshallski plan for them. The Russkies stripped the cupboard bare in the east and sent it home as reparations and who could really blame them. None of this excuses our failure in Ireland to build stuff. And this is the jealousy thread anyway.

murphaph wrote: »
    Berlin central station was built in 2006. Oh and half the city was under the control of the Soviet Union and there was no Marshallski plan for them. The Russkies stripped the cupboard bare in the east and sent it home as reparations and who could really blame them. None of this excuses our failure in Ireland to build stuff. And this is the jealousy thread anyway.

I can't be arsed going into it on a Friday about 10 minutes before I go home, but Germany and Ireland have very divergent economic evolutions that make them really hard to compare. It wasn't an excuse, just me being facetious about that :pac:

But yes, this is the jealousy thread, so unrealistically grumble away ;)

Sure look, the countries of the world have vastly differing economies. It's simply a matter of priorities for any developed nation and public transport has zero priority in Ireland.

I mean, look at Coventry.

They do have an elevated ring road - a bit hairy to drive on with all the weaving because of the very closely spaced on/off ramps. I was over there nearly 20 years ago and did a couple of laps (on my motorbike!) just for the hell of it.

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/articles/coventry-ring-road/ "a tribute to the age of concrete" indeed.

Not exactly a good example of successful urban infrastructure provision.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

They do have an elevated ring road - a bit hairy to drive on with all the weaving because of the very closely spaced on/off ramps.

Understatement of the century. :P

For those not familiar with it:
    As you drive into the ring road, cars are driving out of it. They didn't think to separate the entry and exit points, so it's all this simultaneous manoeuvre of cars driving sideways, some to the left and some to the right. It's not too bad... unless there's more than a couple of cars on the road. Then it becomes chaotic. Low visibility in several sections of it due to the walls everywhere. Cars regularly hit those walls. Oh, and sometimes each other as they enter/leave. Most driving instructors in that area actually give special lessons on how to drive on the ring road. You can even find youtube tutorials about it!

I had three months of having the ring road as part of my commute... never again.

Anyway, sorry for the off topic.

Advertisement