Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Options

Comments

MrStuffins wrote: »
    So, what you're saying is, it would be moronic for you to say you disagree with Joe here because you're not an expert?

I read and understood the guidance of actual public health experts on the subject and quickly realised that the completely unqualified Joe Rogan's opinion on the subject was dangerous to public health and certainly moronic, particularly given that he should have some sense in that in his large audience there are in absolute number terms a fair number of gullible morons who would actually take his completely unqualified opinion to heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

glasso wrote: »
    I read and understood the guidance of actual public health experts on the subject and quickly realised that the completely unqualified Joe Rogan's opinion on the subject was dangerous to public health and certainly moronic, particularly given that he should have some sense in that in his large audience there are in absolute number terms a fair number of gullible morons who would actually take his completely unqualified opinion to heart!

....... so in all this you have zero thoughts of your own.

Apart from saying that 20% of the population are morons.

Got it!

....... so in all this you have zero thoughts of your own.

eh no I interpreted the advice of actual experts, people who are actual doctors of public health (which is a serious subject with serious consequences) as opposed to someone like Rogan who doesn't have a proverbial rashers about the subject and who back-tracked and had to address the point with a revised opinion when faced with the advice of same actual experts in the field

but some amongst his audience were influenced by this man on this subject as was shown by survey data (actual data not just some "your opinion man" stuff)

so one could certainly say from the data that there is at least a statistically significant amount of gullible people willing to take the opinion of someone who effectively knows nothing about the subject at any level of expertise in the podcast's audience

eh no I interpreted the advice of actual experts.....

So no input of your own.

Apart from 20% of the population being "morons" in your opinion.

Sound!

this "no input of your own" is an idiotic line of argument in serious matters of expertise like public health

this is not - "oh what's your opinion on this film"

would you let some random moron who knows nothing about public health to offer their input and opinions on public health that should be followed - ffs?

that makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm not stupid enough to take Rogan at face value but it has been proven that some certainly are

what the exact percentage is....

the WP survey data results show
    In short, Rogan repeatedly spread dubious coronavirus-related information. In December 2020, regular Rogan listeners’ intentions to vaccinate were 15 percentage points lower than those of non-listeners. By February 2021, they were 18 percentage points lower, both statistically significant effects.

that in itself says a lot, particularly with the overwhelming evidence out there in favour of the vaccines.

• Advertisement

this "no input of your own" is an idiotic line of argument......

would you let some random moron.......

I'm not stupid.....

Everyone else is a moron and you have no input of your own.

We get it bro!

this "no input of your own" is an idiotic line of argument in serious matters of expertise like public health

this is not - "oh what's your opinion on this film"

would you let some random moron who knows nothing about public health to offer their input and opinions on public health that should be followed - ffs?

that makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm not stupid enough to take Rogan at face value but it has been proven that some certainly are

what the exact percentage is....

the WP survey data results show

that in itself says a lot, particularly with the overwhelming evidence out there in favour of the vaccines.

Got a link to the data? I assume they controlled for age?

Everyone else is a moron and you have no input of your own.

We get it bro!

you're just embarrassing yourself at this point m8 with such reasoned lines of discussion

Got a link to the data? I assume they controlled for age?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/05/03/joe-rogan-told-his-millions-listeners-not-take-his-anti-vaccine-advice-seriously-is-it-too-late/

How we did our research

We conducted demographically representative surveys once every two months, beginning in April 2020 and ending in February 2021, via Lucid Theorem’s online opt-in sampling service. Each survey sampled about 1,000 Americans, with the exception of the February 2021 survey, which sampled about 1,500. Lucid Theorem uses quota sampling to produce samples that resemble the U.S. adult population with respect to age, gender identity, racial identity, household income, educational attainment, political partisanship and geographic region. To account for any remaining deviations between the sample and U.S. adult population, we weight responses to U.S. census benchmarks on age, gender, race, household income and educational attainment. Each survey asked respondents to report whether they were “very likely,” “somewhat likely,” “not too likely” or “not likely at all” to be vaccinated against the coronavirus once a vaccine became widely available.

you're just embarrassing yourself

I'd ask was that your opinion, but I'm guessing you'd just link me to somebody else's.

Maybe the Washington Post said I'm in your 20% :pac:

• Advertisement

Sure I am pal ;)

:pac:

Would like to see the actual data. Plus it's a self-selecting dataset.

On the other stuff I find it interesting that on YouTube at least he seemed to get far higher ratings when he had the likes of Bernie on than anyone else. Funny that.

Would like to see the actual data. Plus it's a self-selecting dataset.

On the other stuff I find it interesting that on YouTube at least he seemed to get far higher ratings when he had the likes of Bernie on than anyone else. Funny that.

well that's not going to happen but you know that

it's hardly normal practice for articles to data dump their entire data collection on the thousands of surveys that newspapers conduct around the world every week.

it's hardly normal practice for articles to data dump their entire data collection on the thousands of surveys that newspapers conduct around the world every week.

I'm not sure why you'd be surprised that the opinions of people are driven by the media you consume.

The only opinion you've put forward it from a third party piece of media.

I have a cousin like this. He supports Man United and every "opinion" he puts forward comes directly from someone else's mind. No original thoughts.

Nobody bothers to listen to him. Why would you when you could just go to the source? He essentially drop-ships his football opinions

He likes JRE though. Make of that what you will

Linking matters of expertise in public health to supporting Man Utd

I've heard it all

If I hadn't the proof from actual collected data to back this up and refer to, I wouldn't be able to substantiate the argument

you'd undoubtedly be saying "you can't prove anything"

It's not a matter of "opinion" or "original thoughts" here, it's the output of data collected from at least 6 different survey time periods over 10 months

You do know the difference between data collected and analysed according to proper statistics methodology and some random thoughts?

I can see that it's very frustrating for you that this data exists.

Highly frustrating.

Time to move on I think.

you'd undoubtedly be saying "you can't prove anything"

Nope. I just want to see if you have any actual thoughts on this yourself apart from calling millions of people morons based on absolutely nothing other than numbers plucked from the air.

This is a discussion forum. Having an opinion is handy.

"What did you think of the football last night?"

- "The match report is on the Washington Post. It's free to read"

The fact it's a one-line conclusion is what raises my hackles. Also it says the sampling is normalised on demographic data, it doesn't say the responses are compared in the sample with demographic data. Younger people are more likely to be skeptical of this particular vaccine, Rogan's audience also skews lower in age I would have thought.

Nope. I just want to see if you have any actual thoughts on this yourself apart from calling millions of people morons based on absolutely nothing other than numbers plucked from the air.

This is a discussion forum. Having an opinion is handy.

"What did you think of the football last night?"

- "The match report is on the Washington Post. It's free to read"

I've made my opinions clear on this subject ->

That Rogan does have an influence with his brain dump opinions on his audience and that he needs to careful / cognisant when he's addressing serious matters with same like public health.

This was the initial point of discussion / opinion with the other poster.

Look back at the post history.

Then I subsequently found an article relying on substantive data to back it up that you had difficulty in refuting.

My deepest apologies for using actual data to back up my points of argument.

Shameful stuff really!

You could head over to the soccer forum for some reasoned football discussion I imagine.

I've made my opinions clear on this subject ->

That Rogan does have an influence with his brain dump opinions on his audience and that he needs to careful / cognisant when he's addressing serious matters with same like public health.

This was the initial point of discussion / opinion with the other poster.

Look back at the post history.

Then I subsequently found an article relying on substantive data to back it up that you had difficulty in refuting.

My deepest apologies for using actual data to back up my points of argument.

Shameful stuff really!

You could head over to the soccer forum for some reasoned football discussion I imagine.

Still doesn't answer what I actually asked you for an opinion on though

And at this point I doubt I'm going to get any original thoughts from you. All good! You probably haven't read them yet

Nobody is excused for coming out with dumb sh1t that could have serious effects like spreading Covid in this case among the population.

More especially in his case where he has a platform with a lot of listeners.

Not an insignificant % of which are the "trusting" sort to take what they hear as gospel.
    humberklog wrote: »
    Such as the WHO back in March '' 20 saying there's no need to wear masks if you're not sick? Or throw in many examples like that (including our own Luke O'Neill) from experts in this field that was misguided.

Joe is a host of an entertainment show. Those who think he's more than that haven't been listening to the show and expect too much from a presenter that often says-don't listen to his advice.
    your first point is whataboutery

the second point about what he might say about his own views is not actually valid if what he says actually does have a negative effect regardless

as has been shown in this case from surveys

(just click browse now - free to read)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/05/03/joe-rogan-told-his-millions-listeners-not-take-his-anti-vaccine-advice-seriously-is-it-too-late/

So there I presented my opinion

The other posted retorted

I then backed up my opinion with an article and data that I happened to see after my initial opinion.

The other posted saw some sense at this point

You seem to be blindly sticking to "where's your opinion" rubbish because frankly you have no actual line of argument whatsoever that you can make

It started with my opinion

Jesus wept

It's not my fault that I was able to find something to back it up.

• Advertisement

So there I presented my opinion.......

And your opinion was he was dumb because what he said would lead to spread of Covid.

Even though he said taking the vaccine to stop the spread "makes sense".

Are you against the individual's right to choose to be vaccinated or not?

regular Rogan listeners — who made up 22 percent of our sample — were significantly less likely to intend to vaccinate than those who do not regularly listen.

However, we only found this pattern after the first round of federal government emergency-use approval for the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines in the study’s December and February waves. This coincides with when Rogan began to talk more — and skeptically — about the vaccines. For example, in January 2021, he said he may not receive a shot. That came after he moved from California to Texas to get “more freedom,” while disparaging people who wear masks. Shortly afterward, he posed maskless while meeting the Texas governor.

In short, Rogan repeatedly spread dubious coronavirus-related information. In December 2020, regular Rogan listeners’ intentions to vaccinate were 15 percentage points lower than those of non-listeners. By February 2021, they were 18 percentage points lower, both statistically significant effects.

So let's take a final look at the results that came out over 10 months of poll data over 6 polling samplings.

- By February 2021, Rogan podcast listeners were 18% stupider than non-listeners in the face of overwhelmingly evidence from already many millions of people vaccinated worldwide, in terms of vaccination intentions.

-This trend of higher stupidity had increased from 15% to 18% from December 2020 to February 2021 among Rogan listeners.

-So it's unknown how much stupider they were compared to non-listeners at the outset of polling, but there is a correlation between becoming more stupid and listening to Joe's unqualified opinions on the subject.

And your opinion was he was dumb because what he said would lead to spread of Covid.

Even though he said taking the vaccine to stop the spread "makes sense".

Are you against the individual's right to choose to be vaccinated or not?

that was his backtrack opinion after he was called out on it by public health experts

Jesus wept X 2

that was his backtrack opinion after he was called out on it by public health experts

So when I asked originally what he said.....
    What did he say exactly?

Form what I read he said that, if you're a young healthy person, you don't need to take it. But the idea that you should take it to stop the spread makes sense.

Is this correct? If so, I don't see too much wrong with it.

You could have just clarified this instead of dragging this on for ages. As the article you linked to doesn't contain anything about him saying it "makes sense".

Also, it's good that someone can walk back and clarify.

So, his stance is:

"if you're a young healthy person, you don't need to take it. But the idea that you should take it to stop the spread makes sense."

In your opinion, do you think this is an incorrect stance?

jesus.

this has been gone through before

on Friday April 23 Rogan told listeners that he would not suggest the vaccine to a healthy 21-year-old.
    "If you're a healthy person, and you're exercising all the time, and you're young, and you're eating well...like, I don't think you need to worry about this."

But the young (or anyone, not just the young) by not getting a vaccine can still spread Covid to others increasing the spread of Covid, increasing the likelihood of new variants developing, increasing the likelihood of lockdowns continuing, increasing the likelihood of people dying etc etc

So this is a stupid argument from Rogan

The following Thursday April 29, Rogan did a u-turn - accepting the argument that young people need the vaccine "for other people" made sense.

hence your famous "made sense" pillar argument :pac:

only as a backtrack, when he was outed extensively in the media and facing criticism for spreading dangerous misinformation, did he say this.

you mentioned freedom of choice about getting the Covid vaccine

people have freedom of choice about millions of things and are frequently stupid in their decisions

that doesn't make them any less stupid as a result of having this freedom and taking the stupid option :pac:

the only unknown here again is how much more stupid the average Rogan listener was about the vaccine issue compared to a non-listener at the outset but again, according to the poll data, they have been getting more stupid by continuing to listen to his opinions on the subject

jesus.

this has been gone through before

on Friday April 23 Rogan told listeners that he would not suggest the vaccine to a healthy 21-year-old.

But the young (or anyone, not just the young) by not getting a vaccine can still spread Covid to others increasing the spread of Covid, increasing the likelihood of new variants developing, increasing the likelihood of lockdowns continuing, increasing the likelihood of people dying etc etc

Which he addressed afterwards. In a reasonable way.
    The following Thursday April 29, Rogan did a u-turn - accepting the argument that young people need the vaccine "for other people" made sense.

How can you say he only mentioned the "made sense" argument in his walk-back, but say is a u-turn of his original statement?

It's not. He said himself that it was a separate argument.

you mentioned freedom of choice about getting the Covid vaccine

people have freedom of choice about millions of things and are frequently stupid in their decisions

So you, as a non-stupid person, should be able to supersede the rights of the individual and make them do what you think is best for them?

Don't think much of yourself do you?
    the only unknown here again is how much more stupid the average Rogan listener was about the vaccine issue compared to a non-listener at the outset but again, according to the poll data, they have been getting more stupid by continuing to listen to his opinions on the subject

Correlation does not imply causation. You'd think, being one of the 80% who you don't consider morons, you'd understand this.

It's not. He said himself that it was a separate argument.

So you, as a non-stupid person, should be able to supersede the rights of the individual and make them do what you think is best for them?

Don't think much of yourself do you?

Correlation does not imply causation. You'd think, being one of the 80% who you don't consider morons, you'd understand this.

"separate argument" was a pathetic cop-out attempt to try to save face on his part. to try to protect his ego.

about correlation and causation - I fully agree - I'd already addressed that in the points below - even the WP drew that conclusion if you actually read the article - reading comprehension is an important skill in life.

Rogan listeners were already stupider compared to non-listeners to some degree already - this is clear from the data but unknown as to what quantum exactly

hobson's choice for you really!

you may have missed that point below -> :pac:

so let's take a final look at the results that came out over 10 months of poll data over 6 polling samplings.

- By February 2021, Rogan podcast listeners were 18% stupider than non-listeners in the face of overwhelmingly evidence from already many millions of people vaccinated worldwide, in terms of vaccination intentions.

-This trend of higher stupidity had increased from 15% to 18% from December 2020 to February 2021 among Rogan listeners.

-So it's unknown how much stupider they were compared to non-listeners at the outset of polling, but there is a correlation between becoming more stupid and listening to Joe's unqualified opinions on the subject.

as i said if you make a stupid decision and want to spread Covid more, make lockdowns go on and on for others you have that choice but it's hard to argue in the face of all the evidence that it's not the stupid choice

freedom of choice or not

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

So........

...the Wonderboy episode is an enjoyable listen.

Gol-LY

"separate argument" was a pathetic cop-out attempt to try to save face on his part. to try to protect his ego.

Hyperbole
    about correlation and causation - I fully agree

Great! See? It's ok to walk back now and again. Very good!
    Rogan listeners were already stupider compared to non-listeners to some degree already - this is clear from the data but unknown as to what quantum exactly

Pure sh*te talk! Your superiority complex is blinding you here darling.

as i said if you make a stupid decision and want to spread Covid more, make lockdowns go on and on for others you have that choice but it's hard to argue in the face of all the evidence that it's not the stupid choice

freedom of choice or not

Again, your superiority complex is showing again.

How many times have you used the word "stupid" and how many times have you assumed people are morons, despite you yourself just borrowing the opinions of others and not being able to comprehend correlation/causation?

I get it. You reckon you're better than JRE listeners and you don't think they deserve to make their own decisions.

Your posts have shown you're nowhere near as smart as your condescension implies.

No point in replying to me at this point as I won't be reading it.

• Advertisement

So........

...the Wonderboy episode is an enjoyable listen.

Gol-LY

I haven't been listening a lot lately but the Francis Ngannou episode was great.

What a story!

Advertisement