Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The thing about Bray though is that he's probably one of the most unique characters in WWE right now I think that helps a lot. Today's wrestlers are more about workrate now then character work and that's why wrestling isn't as appealing today as it was in the 90's. I mean sure you had your technical wrestlers like Bret Hart, but the character work was much better back then.

Bray would have fit in nicely in the 90's and 80's I think, but a lot of guys in WWE today would have been an afterthought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Riddle101 wrote: »
    The thing about Bray though is that he's probably one of the most unique characters in WWE right now I think that helps a lot. Today's wrestlers are more about workrate now then character work and that's why wrestling isn't as appealing today as it was in the 90's. I mean sure you had your technical wrestlers like Bret Hart, but the character work was much better back then.

Bray would have fit in nicely in the 90's and 80's I think, but a lot of guys in WWE today would have been an afterthought.

Sadly, Bray would have been one of the dudes fed to Hogan I'd imagine in the early 90's.

Maybe he's best served as a manager for a dude like Babtunde or one of the giants they have who can't talk. He would be an awesome Kevin Sullivan type with a stable of rotating monsters to keep him safe until the babyface finally gets their hands on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,365 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Did anyone who watched the latest episode of the new documentary series find it weird that they showed Christ Benoit clearly on screen ? They didn't mention his name but any documentaries they've made since 2007 that might include him they've worked around it and not showed him. I was watching it last night and when they got to the part about ortons win at summerslam 2004 I was curious how they'd handle it but they showed Benoit.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Did anyone who watched the latest episode of the new documentary series find it weird that they showed Christ Benoit clearly on screen ? They didn't mention his name but any documentaries they've made since 2007 that might include him they've worked around it and not showed him. I was watching it last night and when they got to the part about ortons win at summerslam 2004 I was curious how they'd handle it but they showed Benoit.

They cut around him about as much as possible.

The problem with Benoit is that he was a big part of WWE in the early 2000's. A lot of wrestlers got their best matches from Benoit, and Randy Orton's biggest moment came from beating Benoit for the World Heavyweight Championship at Summerslam so it's kind've hard to completely ignore him altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus when it suites Vince and co all those problems are swept under the rug

They said they wont consider doing a uk/European PPV cause of the time difference but here they are doing the Saudi shows and its even a more troubled time for american viewers

Yeah but auld Queen Lizzy wasn't throwing cash at them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Said this in the Saudi thread but I'm finished with the WWE now outside of NXT, Royal Rumble and WrestleMania. It's insulting garbage.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Said this in the Saudi thread but I'm finished with the WWE now outside of NXT, Royal Rumble and WrestleMania. It's insulting garbage.

Stopped watching anything but youtube clips and Twitter gifs\ years ago! OTT does me nicely for a monthly-ish graps fix!

brianblaze wrote: »
    Stopped watching anything but youtube clips and Twitter gifs\ years ago! OTT does me nicely for a monthly-ish graps fix!

Same here. I also really am enjoying AEW Dynamite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'm so sick of WWE, and Vince's decisions. The man is a lunatic, and not in a good way. He's showing little of the "genuis" he's often renowned as, and seems to be getting more and more erratic in his decisions. Its no surprise to see so many want out from under the WWE umbrella.

I have stopped watching most WWE content, with the exception of some PPVs (not all) and youtube clips. And i would have considered myself one of the more die hard fans, consuming every ounce of WWE i could find from the time i was about 5 or 6, up to about 5 years ago (i'm 36 now).

There's no logic to anything. Goldberg beats The Fiend. Why. Why was this man given a title shot? What's the logic - "oh, he never got his automatic rematch". Right. Wait and see what will happen now. The Fiend will set his targets on John cena next. His title loss will hardly be mentioned. Nor his right to a rematch. This will be ignored. He'll just move on to the next thing, Big Bill will move onto Roman, and that will be that.

And Vince will see Roman's 400 year long push as a "success", crowning him at Wrestlemania by beating Goldberg, and "accepted" by fans, cos the likelihood is, fans will cheer Roman over Goldberg anyhow.

So much needs to change. 50/50 booking - so stupid. Lack of logic. Stupid shít like banning words such as belt. Changing wresters (yes Vince you cúnt, WRESTLERS) names, because overnight he doesn't like someone having 2 names. And then changing them back again. Stupid decisions like all of a sudden having every single tv match be 2 out of 3 falls.

2 title changes on what is, for all intents and purposes, a glorified house show, all for that sweet Saudi blood money. It boggles the mind what's going on. It's little wonder so many fans find AEW satisfying. For a company that hasn't even been established a year, they are doing a lot right (and of course they aren't perfect).

WWE have been in business for over 50 years (with Vince Jnr at the helm for about 40 at this stage), and for a company to be in business this long, and get so many things wrong, is mind boggling to me. Really, the worst thing that could have happened to WWE is for them to buy up their own competition and become this absolute monster of a company that it now is.

I really hope AEW move to Mondays and put on a second show to run in direct competition to Vince in the future. Competition is good for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I have never liked the idea of part-time champions, even when The Rock was WWE champion going into WM 29.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I'm so sick of WWE, and Vince's decisions. The man is a lunatic, and not in a good way. He's showing little of the "genuis" he's often renowned as, and seems to be getting more and more erratic in his decisions. Its no surprise to see so many want out from under the WWE umbrella.

I have stopped watching most WWE content, with the exception of some PPVs (not all) and youtube clips. And i would have considered myself one of the more die hard fans, consuming every ounce of WWE i could find from the time i was about 5 or 6, up to about 5 years ago (i'm 36 now).

There's no logic to anything. Goldberg beats The Fiend. Why. Why was this man given a title shot? What's the logic - "oh, he never got his automatic rematch". Right. Wait and see what will happen now. The Fiend will set his targets on John cena next. His title loss will hardly be mentioned. Nor his right to a rematch. This will be ignored. He'll just move on to the next thing, Big Bill will move onto Roman, and that will be that.

And Vince will see Roman's 400 year long push as a "success", crowning him at Wrestlemania by beating Goldberg, and "accepted" by fans, cos the likelihood is, fans will cheer Roman over Goldberg anyhow.

So much needs to change. 50/50 booking - so stupid. Lack of logic. Stupid shít like banning words such as belt. Changing wresters (yes Vince you cúnt, WRESTLERS) names, because overnight he doesn't like someone having 2 names. And then changing them back again. Stupid decisions like all of a sudden having every single tv match be 2 out of 3 falls.

2 title changes on what is, for all intents and purposes, a glorified house show, all for that sweet Saudi blood money. It boggles the mind what's going on. It's little wonder so many fans find AEW satisfying. For a company that hasn't even been established a year, they are doing a lot right (and of course they aren't perfect).

WWE have been in business for over 50 years (with Vince Jnr at the helm for about 40 at this stage), and for a company to be in business this long, and get so many things wrong, is mind boggling to me. Really, the worst thing that could have happened to WWE is for them to buy up their own competition and become this absolute monster of a company that it now is.

I really hope AEW move to Mondays and put on a second show to run in direct competition to Vince in the future. Competition is good for everyone.

Interesting that you've mentioned this, as Cody has hinted at it, down the road if possible.

https://comicbook.com/wwe/2020/02/19/cody-rhodes-aew-dynamite-move-different-night-five-years-monday-night-wars-wwe-raw/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

AEW would be beaten on Mondays easily right now they need to be getting consistently over million till they consider mondays.

AEW just had one of the best run ins to a ppv in years and didnt gain viewers while NXT has been poor

They just need to keep putting out great shows and hopefully will gain viewers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I know what you mean.
    I love wrestling. I always will. But I haven't watched WWE on a weekly basis in years. Man, the 80s and more so the 90s wrestling was awesome.

Now that I'm older, hopefully a little wiser, I realise that that the golden age of wrestling was just all right timing and luck. I'm sure Vince McMahon is a genius in many ways but he nor anyone in WWE doesn't know how to re-create that. It's just slinging mud against a wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

WWE has been beyond horrible for years, don't know how people could stomach watching it consistently on a weekly basis these days.

Between NJPW, AEW, MLW, OTT, RevPro, Dragon Gate and more there's a lot of quality stuff out there and very easily accessible, which I'm very glad for as I don't have to watch McMahon's tripe anymore.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thanks for the spoiler on Goldberg I was just gonna sit down and watch it. I assumed there was no spoilers out side of the rumours and super showdown thread. Especially as the event only took place yesterday :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Loughc wrote: »
    Thanks for the spoiler on Goldberg I was just gonna sit down and watch it. I assumed there was no spoilers out side of the rumours and super showdown thread. Especially as the event only took place yesterday :(

Oh no, Lough the only thing to do is post a video calling out Omackeral :pac:

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It was gerrybbadd actually :pac:

Well, at least it prepared you for it! I watched it in GIF form...

Says a lot for the match really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Necro going full heel throwing innocent Omack under the bus. Very Jake Roberts of you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think wrestling is gone to the dogs because the matches are too long and overcooked. Many featuring average sorts that I have no reason to be engaged in.

Even with NXT I fast forward through most of the matches and watch the talking parts.

Then if I am interesting in the match because of the talking bits, backstage stuff etc I have seen I will watch the matches with those wrestlers.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Necro going full heel throwing innocent Omack under the bus. Very Jake Roberts of you.

Right through the Barbershop window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'm sorry brother, that was an oversight and totally unintentional. I'd never do that on purpose

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

No no I would never...

tumblr_ox0bcrvaG81u2ragso1_500.gifv
    Right through the Barbershop window

Oh alright then :pac:

DigitalYearlyKakapo-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,310 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Omack trying to escape, the coward

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭ThePott

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I mack trying to escape, the coward
    ARE YOU BLIND?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,224 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jack Gallagher got a new tattoo...

cl4vnhru9sj41.png

Stop laughing.

J. Marston wrote: »

cl4vnhru9sj41.png

Stop laughing.

What the actual ****. Why does he have a massive ship tattoo on his chest ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

J. Marston wrote: »

cl4vnhru9sj41.png

Stop laughing.

I've heard of a nip slip before but never a nip ship

Maybe he went for wrong service and was too embarrassed to admit his mistake?

I got the call records

*Phone Rings*

"Hello"

(Muffled Jack Gallagher on other end of call)

"Sorry. Its a bad line and I don't totally understand your accent"

(Muffled British talking)

"You want someone to what?!?!"

(More warbling)

"Ohhhh... a SHIP on your chest.... I thought I misheard you!!"

(Muffled embarrassed British acceptance of fate)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What the actual ****. Why does he have a massive ship tattoo on his chest ?

Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,310 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So the birdies have something to fly around, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

He's from Manchester, and both United & Etihad City have a ship in their club logos. It's probably something to do with either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Officer999

Those tattoos all down his arm are new too

• Advertisement

Reading both the Supershowdown and AEW threads just shows what states both WWE and AEW are in and direction their heading.

If AEW can land a big name signing that has mass public appeal, Moxley just doesn’t cut it, they have a real chance of putting WWE under pressure.

I really hope AEW can push on from here and make Vince sweat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If AEW can land a big name signing that has mass public appeal

Then you're looking at someone from the past, nobody in their prime today has the mass appeal you're talking about, and AEW ain't putting the title on Goldberg or Hogan

I don't see the biggest guys atm switching, like Rollins or Reigns, and I can't think of anyone who would be a candidate for switching to AEW that wouldn't attract someone who's already a viewer

Then you're looking at someone from the past, nobody in their prime today has the mass appeal you're talking about, and AEW ain't putting the title on Goldberg or Hogan

I don't see the biggest guys atm switching, like Rollins or Reigns, and I can't think of anyone who would be a candidate for switching to AEW that wouldn't attract someone who's already a viewer

Then the question should be asked how will AEW push on from where they are now. Like WCW got lucky in the sense they signed Hogan Savage and then later Hall and Nash. All recognisable names that brought eyes to their product. Without them would WCW have pushed on like it did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Then the question should be asked how will AEW push on from where they are now. Like WCW got lucky in the sense they signed Hogan Savage and then later Hall and Nash. All recognisable names that brought eyes to their product. Without them would WCW have pushed on like it did?

True, but the equivalents of those guys for AEW now would be Cena, Orton, Batista and Edge to name a few, and none of those guys are jumping ship

I have no idea how they can push on tbh, can't write them off just because they can't poach any established guys even though it would help if it was the right guys

AEW seems to be building talent and utilising the Indys in the right way.

The crowd loves lots of their guys with zero WWE background, like Page, Cassidy, Lucha Express, MJF and Riho. They're building their own stars, and that's a good sign for me.

TNA made the mistake of either not pulling the trigger on stars at the right time (Monty Brown, Joe) or killing their own creations by feeding them to old dudes (Styles numerous times in this case specifically)

AEW have the scope to work with RoH and NJPW to bring in guys for a few months and to let others leave to work the Indies to get fresh again, which is what I can see happening in the next few months.

If AEW can build relationships with the other 'top tier' companies and continue to build their own creations, they have a lot of space to grow.

While WWE brings in celebrities and old timers and continue to make terrible creative choices, they are not making new stars. They've made one true "star" in the last 20 years, and that's Cena. Batista maybe too to a lesser extent.

There's no reason guys like Cody, MJF, and Omega can't be huge in a few years. Cody has become one of the best promos going, MJF is a prodigy on the mic and Omega is unreal in the ring. Future could be very bright

• Advertisement

I know there are many podcasts on wrestling out there but you know one that I really like is Arn Anderson’s podcast. It’s very informative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

While I agree AEW are doing the best with what theyve got, have they anyone with potential the potential of breaking through to be a household name like Cena, Rock, Austin..... right now the only one would be Jericho and hes passed it

While AEW have the potential of being big in wrestling circles, they are a long way off being mainstream. But to be fair it would he unrealistic to think they can reach there yet.

They are slowly building the brand.

A big celebrity endorsement went a long way in helping Vince, whether it was Mr T or Tyson. Something similar could do wonders for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

While I agree AEW are doing the best with what theyve got, have they anyone with potential the potential of breaking through to be a household name like Cena, Rock, Austin..... right now the only one would be Jericho and hes passed it

While AEW have the potential of being big in wrestling circles, they are a long way off being mainstream. But to be fair it would he unrealistic to think they can reach there yet.

A big celebrity endorsement went a long way in helping Vince, whether it was Mr T or Tyson. Something similar could do wonders for them.

I reckon Orange Cassidy could be the breakout actually. A few celebs mentioning him on twitter since the PPV, got a commercial featuring him on TNT too and he can go in the ring. Time will tell!

I still think Kenny Omega. He could be like the what AJ Styles was to TNA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,907 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Did anyone predict this lad would break out to be the biggest name in the world of wrestling and movies.

960.jpg

Or this generic CAW would carry the WWE on his back for over a decade.

Dguj1orW4AcT4c0.jpg

Or this Ringmaster would go on to be a bigger draw then Hogan.

a0a7787580504b8a15595e67bdd6341e--wrestling-stars-wrestling-wwe.jpg

The rock maybe given his family were wrestlers so he had a good shot at the wrestling part but the movies part I'd never have guessed.

Cena, no because my early memories of him is the picture above which is bland as ****.

Austin ? Well maybe not to outdraw hogan but take away that awful gimmick and Austin had shown in WCW that he was a top guy if given the chance. He was a tag champion, TV champion and US champ in WCW which is a nice run. The problem with WCW is you had the orange ego running wild so it was never going to happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I reckon Orange Cassidy could be the breakout actually. A few celebs mentioning him on twitter since the PPV, got a commercial featuring him on TNT too and he can go in the ring. Time will tell!

In this era, with money behind them they can use platforms to buy profile for someone. They are already doing it imo when I see the amount of threads etc on wreddit.

Same way as any brand buys endorsement from people with reach.

The issue an AEW will be the same as TNA.

Wrestling in its own right does not have mass appeal. If you want wrestling fans you can get them but numbers are low.

If you want people used to the more mainstream version that WWE have then you need people they know (that hurst the AJs or Samoa Joe's) but can make you look inferior and damage the fans you have.

If you want the really casual, more influenced by buzz or pop culture person you need something else again and that again can cause problems if it does not take off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

I don't know. I think chasing the mainstream is a dangerous game. Look at TNA bringing in every ex-WWE and reality trash person they could get and the rating was always the same. AEW should focus on building it own stars and legacy. By all accounts, the TNT are happy with the show and the company is growing.

You make stars in a lot of ways, not just by having them associated with b level celebs or fading sports stars.

Tyson added loads to Austin.

Tyson Fury added f*ck all to WWE

The only comparable 'get' would be McGregor as a ref or something, and that's bad news for lots of reasons for any company.

AEW aren't trying to be a 'multi media conglomerate' or 'sports entertainment company' they're a wrestling company, with a slowly growing fan base and slowly building roster.

Works for them at the moment, and I hope it continues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement