Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunstroke 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

At the gates also seem to have dissapeared off the line up which is fairly dissapointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Weren't Code Orange on an early version of the poster as well?

Setup does seem weirdly cloak and dagger. A lot of that is symptomatic of this being a first, modern shot at a large scale metal fest in Ireland, though. You can't put out press packs full of previous line ups, photos etc. There's no previous identity to draw on. Just a big orange poster.

Weren't Code Orange on an early version of the poster as well?

Setup does seem weirdly cloak and dagger. A lot of that is symptomatic of this being a first, modern shot at a large scale metal fest in Ireland, though. You can't put out press packs full of previous line ups, photos etc. There's no previous identity to draw on. Just a big orange poster.

Was previously an all dayer in the 90s.... Possibly should have kept it that way for this years reintroduction. Currently I've no idea how many days too book off work, bit shambolic this far after the initial accouncement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

what are you confused about, it's fairly straight forward. :confused:

the festival happens Saturday and Sunday, if you need to take those days off, then do. If you want to stay the Sunday night, take Monday off too.

not sure what part you're finding challenging.

Yeah...it's a two day festival with camping. Safe to assume you can arrive on Saturday and leave Monday?

• Advertisement

Id have preferred to come up on the Friday and leave Monday as ive a bit of a journey but there's no indication if the site will be open on the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Bugg

At the gates also seem to have dissapeared off the line up which is fairly dissapointing.

They've probably been left out of that list by mistake (I hope). They're still on the artists page if you scroll down a bit and they're on the poster on the homepage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Yeah...it's a two day festival with camping. Safe to assume you can arrive on Saturday and leave Monday?

I'm of the assumption that you can arrive on the Friday and leave on the Monday.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Still no word from Overdrive about the announcement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

It’s just an announcement for a launch party next Thursday, no extra bands

Overdrive
    **** SUNSTROKE OFFICIAL LAUNCH EVENT ***
    Next Thursday, SUNSTROKE will officially launch in Dublin's city centre and Overdrive has five pairs of passes to give away to this *INVITE ONLY* event.

Winners will receive entry, merch bundles, complimentary food and drinks and will be treated to live performances.

For full details, click over to our website to find out all about it.

https://www.overdrive.ie/sunstroke-festival-official-launc…/

To enter, read the details on the graphic below.

More on-the-ground details for the site there so, hopefully.

I reckon that's it for the bands. Bit of hair metal karaoke/emo disco/power ballad tent activity to round out the late hours a la other festivals etc.

It’s just an announcement for a launch party next Thursday, no extra bands

Ha! Sh1te...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

I'd imagine there will be a few more on the Sunday bill, it's a bit light compared to the Saturday.

BadTurtle wrote: »
    I'd imagine there will be a few more on the Sunday bill, it's a bit light compared to the Saturday.

Same number of bands on both days by my count.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Penfailed wrote: »
    Same number of bands on both days by my count.

You're right, was looking at the old poster, soz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BigPoppaDump

BadTurtle wrote: »

Sundays line up is infinitely more attractive than Saturdays, for me at least. Still on the fence about and will decide nearer the time. I don't live too far from Naas so not worried about camping.

Any news coming from the Launch Party tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Had a listen to the bands on the lower end of the list for Saturday and it's slim pickings to say the least.

Hot Milk beggar belief. Maybe there's irony at play?

• Advertisement

Hot Milk beggar belief. Maybe there's irony at play?

I saw them supporting the Foo Fighters in Belfast last year but I don't remember anything about their performance whereas Frank Carter was very memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

cOVID could end up cancelling all summer festivials.. All it takes is a few major acts to pull out which is highly likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Burty330 wrote: »
    cOVID could end up cancelling all summer festivials.. All it takes is a few major acts to pull out which is highly likely.

Perhaps maybe set up a new thread covering this issue with all festivals included then if you already want to entertain this, don't see much use throwing such glum foresight in one particular festivals thread.

Any news coming from the Launch Party tonight?

A music journalist fella I know was there. Not much to reveal. He got a poster, tote bag, t-shirt, badges and a guitar pick for being there.

Perhaps maybe set up a new thread covering this issue with all festivals included then if you already want to entertain this, don't see much use throwing such glum foresight in one particular festivals thread.

You shouldn't worry too much about me or what I post. There's far more important issues to be concerned with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

You shouldn't worry too much about me or what I post. There's far more important issues to be concerned with.

It's a public forum if you've issues on how your posts may be considered perhaps don't bother to post at all.

I don't doubt there is more important issues to be concerned about but unsure what you mean as you don't specify I'm sure these are best discussed outside of a Sunstroke discussion all the same.

No, it's absoloutely not 'highly likely'. Event organizers want things to go ahead at all costs. Bands want to perform at all costs. Whilst you have the luxury of possibly being right in what you're saying, realistically the virus will probably peak in the next few weeks, batter the economy a bit and settle into being a normalized part of the flu season.

We're still only at the discussion stage of cancelling events that are occurring during the viruses spread, and in large part most are still going ahead and the Western world is continuing on its merry way. Summer fests cancelled too? 'Highly likely' is some spin. And a rather hysteria inducing one.

It's a public forum if you've issues on how your posts may be considered perhaps don't bother to post at all.

I don't doubt there is more important issues to be concerned about but unsure what you mean as you don't specify I'm sure these are best discussed outside of a Sunstroke discussion all the same.

Yeah , its a public forum , so stfu about telling people what they can or can't post about.
    I'll post whatever i want regarding this matter.If that upsets you.. GOOD

No, it's absoloutely not 'highly likely'. Event organizers want things to go ahead at all costs. Bands want to perform at all costs. Whilst you have the luxury of possibly being right in what you're saying, realistically the virus will probably peak in the next few weeks, batter the economy a bit and settle into being a normalized part of the flu season.

We're still only at the discussion stage of cancelling events that are occurring during the viruses spread, and in large part most are still going ahead and the Western world is continuing on its merry way. Summer fests cancelled too? 'Highly likely' is some spin. And a rather hysteria inducing one.

Event organizers have NO say in the matter. Its their money on the line so of course they will want it to go ahead.

Bands want to perform at all costs? Even if the cost comes with being infected with a deadly virus?? BULL Crap!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ah, give it a rest mate.

Advertisement