Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Signs that you're getting old

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

My barber asked if I wanted my eyebrows trimmed!

Just wait til they start asking about your ear hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Tony EH wrote: »

Tbf, I've been getting my brows trimmed since my 20s cos they are facking monstrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭obi604

The only thing I really want to watch on TV is the 9 o’clock news.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

When most if the people you went to school with and most of your neighbours are in the graveyard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

To the Turkish barbers with you, they'll sort that, but keep calm with their method. :)

• Advertisement

Tbf, I've been getting my brows trimmed since my 20s cos they are facking monstrous.

Untitled-1.jpg

*Actually, there's another sign that you're getting older - knowing who that guy is.

My ear hair situation has gone to the dogs.

To the Turkish barbers with you, they'll sort that, but keep calm with their method. :)

I've seen it done. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

When you ask two 6th classes of school kids, if they like christmas trifle .... and none of them know what it is (happened yesterday and I feel so old now).

When it takes you all night to do what you used to do all night... Used to laugh at that one. No longer.

• Advertisement

I've seen it done. :eek:

I always look for a fire extinguisher in the place before I agree...

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I can't get out of a chair without making a noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Thanks lads (and lasses, if it doesn't offend anyone to imply that there might be a gender difference :p ) - although calendar-age-wise, I'm up there with the best of ye, you've convinced me that I can't be as old as my random aches and irrational ear-hair might have me believe! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Untitled-1.jpg

*Actually, there's another sign that you're getting older - knowing who that guy is.

If I didn't keep em trimmed they would likely be like that tbf.

Barry Humphries aka Dame Edna?

When it takes you all night to do what you used to do all night... Used to laugh at that one. No longer.

Never heard this one. What’s an example.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

When you ask the question "Signs that you're getting old ". No 25 year old even considers it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think a lot of it is summed up on how you view young people. When you start resenting young people for doing things differently. Seeing young people of today’s acts of youthful rebellion as meaningless but thinking your own generation’s rebellious actions were fierce clever altogether. Small examples are fashion and clothes. See the recent reaction to the WAP song.

Also thinking young people today are inferior to young people of your own generation - weak willed, lack discipline, too concerned with appearance, don’t appreciate how easy they have it etc.

It just means you don’t understand the difficulties young people face today and are disconnected from young people. That’s a real sign of getting old.

Also feel old cause 25 years ago today - Faithless released ‘Insomnia’

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When your somewhere and a woman says to her kids leave the man alone/stop hassling the man.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Also thinking young people today are inferior to young people of your own generation - weak willed, lack discipline, too concerned with appearance, don’t appreciate how easy they have it etc.

It just means you don’t understand the difficulties young people face today and are disconnected from young people. That’s a real sign of getting old.
    +1000 and the same generational stuff that's been in play for all of human history. Old farts in Ancient Greece, Rome, China etc were complaining about the dissolute youth using exactly same points you noted above. That they were "weak willed, lack discipline, too concerned with appearance, don’t appreciate how easy they have it etc".

EG Socrates: "The youths love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.” (I love the image of gobbling up dainties. :D )

Horace at least threw some shade at his own generation, though still thought it was better before: “Our sires’ age was worse than our grandsires’. We, their sons, are more worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more corrupt.

Brain plasticity decreases with age, triply so if left to its own lazy devices, so new things and new ideas are loud and uncomfortable noises, so nostalgia becomes a comfort and nostalgia always lies to itself.

So for me nostalgia is about the biggest sign you're getting old in mind at least. The young are living the lives you and in turn they will be nostalgic about.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm mid forties and pleased that I'm not experiencing many of these signs of getting old. Have grey pubes and beard but can empathise and have a conversation with someone half my age and not feel or be perceived (I hope) as a complete dinosaur.

Being single helps IMO, I've seen a few men develop a much older attitude once they got married and had children, settling into a comfortable yet hectic domestic existence of changing nappies, IKEA, watching soap operas and tut tutting about the youth of today.

Lifting weights is a great way to look and feel young. This is something that a lot of people do in their youth but stop by middle age when it is important to keep at it. If you stick at it you can keep improving well into middle age. "Build your muscles as your body decays". I had to take a break from my lifting for many weeks for family reasons and it definitely affected my mood. Deadlifted 240 kg on my first day back, over three times bodyweight which pleased me a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Yes keeping active, plenty of water, a decent diet, apple and banana a day... Keep away from the booze. Should alleviate/hold back the ageing process.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

When you go into the barber and instead of asking you what kind of cut you want, he just says "Tidy up.... yeah?"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

I remember when my daughter needed her shoe laces tied. I knelt down and she says ( I think she was 4 or 5 at time) “ Daddy you have a hole on top of your head”. It was the monkeys arse that was beginning to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You make a noise when you sit down or get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

BrianD3 wrote: »

Being single helps IMO, I've seen a few men develop a much older attitude once they got married and had children, settling into a comfortable yet hectic domestic existence of changing nappies, IKEA, watching soap operas and tut tutting about the youth of

Can't understand lads "afraid" of their OH, to be home on time or refusing to spend time with mates as if she's standing outside the doorway, rolling pin in hand like an Andy Capp strip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Can't understand lads "afraid" of their OH, to be home on time or refusing to spend time with mates as if she's standing outside the doorway, rolling pin in hand like an Andy Capp strip.

Seen a few friends settle into this mode... Not a chance i'd live like that myself. Completely under the thumb, she's the boss and that's it....

I wouldn't tell my OH what to do and she wouldn't do the same either. We are a team but we both have our own interests, hobbies and friends aswell.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember when it was announced Qatar would host the 2022 World Cup, ten years ago that it seemed like a lifetime away, now it doesn't seem that far away at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

beauf wrote: »
    What's a DVD...
    You know those round mirrors with the hole in the centre ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

When you go into the barber and instead of asking you what kind of cut you want, he just says "Tidy up.... yeah?"

And he starts flipping the mirror around at the end to show your bald patch progress

Advertisement