Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,625 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Chums by Simon Kuper.

Even though nothing about the Oxford elite comes as a surprise to me it's still shocking when you actually read it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just finished A Scanner Darkly, found it a bit boring.

Now starting The Insect Crisis by Oliver Milman

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Indeed, Kerr was a fine writer and his "Berlin Trilogy" was superb. He died way too young. Bernie Gunther was like "a water-washed diamond in a river of sin"

Currently, at the finish line of "The Narrow Road to the Deep North", by Richard Flanagan.

Part love story, part harrowing tales of the "death Railway" in Siam, then denouement in Japan after defeat. - Recommended.

Next up; Faith, Hope and Carnage by Nick Cave and Séan O' Hagan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just finished Time After Time by Ben Elton, a time travelling story. The premise was ok but the characters actions lacked credibility in places and the plot could have been better executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/462836 This Phillip Kerr book got me in to reading dystopia type books, I like it but it gets mixed reviews.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,625 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

When you say you "live it" I hope it's the sex clubs on the moon part 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

I do love a good dystopian story. Nothing as nice as to sit by the fire and dreaming of catastrophe 😉

"Canticle for Leibowitz" is a classic.

Also, "Alas Babylon", I found very agreeable

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭pcasso

I really enjoyed reading "The Satsuma Complex" by Bob Mortimer.

It was fast paced, easy to read, humorous, quirky (Well the main character holds conversations with squirrels) with likeable, all be it carboard cut out characters (though I suspect that may have been intentional) and was overall very entertaining.

I also finally got round to reading "Mostly Harmless" the fifth and last of the Hitchhikers trilogy by Douglas Adams.

While maybe not quite up to the standard of the others in the series, particularly the first three, it was still a very enjoyable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

THE SELFISH GENE - Richard Dawkins. Very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’ve a load of books to get through , when I get decent reading glasses ( fcuk you specsavers) ) but really looking forward to the book I ordered today. The collected poems of Wilfred Owen . I haven’t read much poetry the last few years but I really do enjoy reading it . Wilfred Owen wrote my new favourite poem . Strange Meeting . Powerful and ultimately tragic WW1 poem .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,360 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Bomber Command: The Strategic Bombing Offensive: 1939-45 by Max Hastings.

A topic that fascinates me, an author that I thoroughly enjoy, surely means a recipe for success? Unfortunately not, I found Bomber Command absolutely boring, it was a difficult and very disappointing read. First book from Mr. Hastings that I have not enjoyed at all 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'm currently reading Endless Perfect Circles & really enjoying it. https://drianwalker.com/circles/

A professional psychologist spent his entire life believing he had no ability or interest in sport. Then, in his forties, he became a champion ultradistance athlete before breaking the world record for the fastest bicycle crossing of Europe.

Interesting read, good insight into the mental side of endurance sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Lemme see, what have I read since I last posted?

The Push by Ashley Audrain. A bit of a poor man's We Need To Talk About Kevin but enjoyable enough all the same.

Poor by Katriona O'Sullivan. An equal parts horrifying and rage-inducing account of growing up dirt poor. Highly recommend it.

Just finished Maggie O'Farrell's Hamnet. Probably the last person on the planet to read it. Really enjoyed it.

There's definitely at least one, if not two others I'm forgetting about.

Heading away for a fortnight on Monday so any recommendations to bring with me are most welcome. I have Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box on its way to me so hopefully that arrives before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Are you looking for any particular type of read?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I read mostly fiction but I'm open to a good NF recommendation. Fairly genre-agnostic, other than nothing romantic or traditionally "chick lit" (although I hate that term). I do love a good dystopian/post-apocalyptic novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Dont Be at It

I read this a few years back and just couldn't get into it. Found it a real slog!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

If someone was dying to read something - and I wasn't worried about how easily shocked they were - I'd probably recommend the first Flashman novel by George McDonald Fraser.

Historical Fiction detailing the "memoirs" of a member of the Victorian upper class as he travels the world in the 19th century, sometimes as a member of the army, sometimes on account of some misfortune that means he has to put as much distance between himself and someone out for his blood.

Flashman is an absolute cad, liar, and cheat: an absolute bastard. Throughout the series he manages to find himself thrust into famous moments in history and interacts - usually hilariously - with famous figures from the time period.

Be warned though. The books are extremely - extremely - un-PC. Flashman holds all the opinions you would expect a toff from the 1800's to hold. It can be hard to know how much of politically incorrect humour is a critique of jingoism and imperialism, or a genuine attempt to get some reactionary laughs out of it. There's a lot of people who I know who would hate the novels because much of what you will read, by today's sensibilities, is pretty outrageous.

But, taking all that into account, they are amazing novels. Fraser had an absolute gift for creating prose that contained vivid descriptions of action, place, character, dialogue. And his ability to incorporate all this into gripping historical fiction was second to none. I've seen them compared to Aubrey/Maturin novels, but, honestly I found the books of that series to be hard going: Flashman is technicolor, bawdy fun, but still with an equally strong grounding in history.

Sorry, for the essay, but I love those novels and I try to push them on anyone who could deal with the questionable stuff.

Post edited by Arghus on

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

+1 on Flashman series. Shocking, but hillarious!

Of Crowns and Legends by Chelsea Banning.

I discovered this author after seeing her tweet at her disappointment that only one person had shown up for her debut novel reading. She had some many writers, like Stephen King, respond to her to tell their tales of being in the same position on launching their first books.

I decided to order a copy and definitely do not regret it. This book picks up the legend of Camelot. King Arthur is dead, Queen Guinevere has been regent for the past two decades and about to transition power to her son Prince Anwil, her daughter Princess Ariadne dreams of becoming only the second female Knight of the Round Table, Merlin is only occasionally in the picture. But not all is well in Briton, the petty kings are planning to overthrow the Pendragons, there are evil, magical forces targeting relics hidden in abbeys to cast powerful spells to bring about the destruction of Camelot. Can the Pendragons and their allies survive this onslaught?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Hamnet was OK wasn't mad on it.

Just started something called "Trust" today a friend recommended, new enough book that won lots of awards and its only 99p for kindle at the moment, I really like it already and will bring it on hols too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Red Sister by Mark Lawerence.

about 50% through,it’s ok but not a patch on his Prince of thorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Attack warning red by Julie mc Dowall. How Britain prepared for nuclear war. Gripping stuff,and her podcast Atomic Hobo is excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Slio Hugh Howey is brilliant if you like post-apocalyptic novels and for something different, any James Michener book my favorite is Hawaii. https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/12658

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just finished A Confederacy of Dunces and found it a bit of a slog so just skimmed over the 2nd half. The New Orleans characters are colourful enough but the constant stream of consciousness just didn’t hold my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Tutankhamun's Trumpet: Ancient Egypt in 100 Objects from the Boy-King's Tomb Toby Wilkinson

Thematic overview of life in Acient Egypt. Tbh the grave goods are just an attention-grabbing hook to hang this endeavour on, and some are only mentioned in passing. No harm in that I suppose, and this is easily the most engaging of the handful of books I have read on Ancient Egypt. Full of beautiful illustrations and fascinating facts

I actually have this on my bookshelf waiting to be read. Glad to hear that it is an engaging read as I know anything factual about Ancient Egypt can be very hit and miss depending on the author.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭jonnreeks

The Korean War: A History - Bruce Cummings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭bullpost

The Premonitions Bureau Sam Knight

Premonitions are impossible. But they come true all the time.

In 1966, John Barker, a dynamic psychiatrist working in an outdated British mental hospital, established the Premonitions Bureau to investigate

this phenomenon .

• Advertisement

Power and Thrones: A New History of the Middle Ages by Dan Jones.

Of course I would choose a fairly sizable book to read during a very busy period at work. But I finally got through it and got to say I really enjoyed reading about the Black Death, definitely the standout chapter to me. I've never thought of reading on the topic before but i am feeling inspired to do so, think I'll need to source some further reading on this.

Advertisement