Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Pavb2; what synchronicity!

I literally came in here to post that I've started A Confederacy of Dunces. Its DEFINITELY quirky, but really enjoying it so far. The characters in it are brilliantly written. You can almost smell or sense New Orleans from the writing. Recommended.

Recently finished ( for the 2nd time) DBC Pierre's "Lights Out in Wonderland". Wonderful, mad journey of a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,112 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The World: A Family History of Humanity by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Almost certainly the longest book I've ever read at about 1350 pages. It's basically a potted history of humanity, but the 'fanily' hook gives him licence to focus on spicy personal details. TBH my eyes are glazing over at some of the more arcane Asian and African episodes but there's always a gripping anecdote or memorable character sketch along in a couple of pages...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The Wonder by Emma Donoghue. Watched the film over Christmas and enjoyed it so said I'd give it a go. Have literally only started it so no opinion as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Just finished A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James.

Fictional book based on real life characthers and the attempted assasination of Bob Marley. Really good book and would highly recommend.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Read Duffy and Son by Damien Owens, funny and a bit poignant, really liked it.

Now reading Bruce Springsteen's autobiography, I like the bombastic and pretentious writing style, he talks some bollox but it's entertaining stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,112 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The Burgundians: A Vanished Empire by Bart Van Loo

Abstruse subject but told in a colourful and gripping way...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,372 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The Quest by Wilbur Smith

Book 4 of the Egyptian series and I have decided to rip the band aid off and bring Book 5 with me hols to try to get that one out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Abyss by Max Hastings. Fascinating stuff about the Cuban Missile crisis. The US military top brass wanted to go into Cuba with all guns blazing.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

So The Wonder was only alright. Very slow-paced. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't already seen the film.

Started Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr last night. Had a few glasses of wine on board so should probably just go back and start again 😆

Desert God by Wilbur Smith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Shakespeare by Mark Van Doren

Lit Criticism of Shakespeare's plays by a Columbia University Eng Lit lecturer. Insighful

Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr. He won the Pulitzer for All The Light We Cannot See. It's three different narratives in three different timeliness, all linked by a fictional fable by Diogenes. I'm really enjoying it. It's like a less bonkers Cloud Atlas.

Web of Lies by Aoife Gallagher. The origins of and reasons why people believe conspiracy theories.

Most of the posters in the racist multiculturalism and bigotry anti-woke threads could do with reading it (if this book isn’t a plot by the Rothchilds and Soros)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

You sound like a shill for the globalist cabal, how much adrenochrome do they pay you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

My husband loved that book, I am reading the enigma of Room 622 by Joel Dicker it's an easy-read murder mystery. I really rate Ben Myers book the gallows pole, which Shane Medowes adapted for the BBC, but it's so disappointing although it's only the first episode, its a style over substance mash up the soundtrack has stuff by GOAT and bits of obscure folk music.

I wish I’d done my own research before getting involved with them or maybe I did? Is this book my research? Am I in too deep? Did I take the red pill or blue pill?

Soldiers: Great Stories of War and Peace edited by Max Hastings

Took a while to get into it but particularly enjoyed the WWI and WWII stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Reading The Eagle Has Landed by Jack Higgins about a plot by the Germans to kill Churchill.

Travellers in the Third Reich: The Rise of Fascism Through the Eyes of Everyday People by Julia Boyd

Thoroughly enjoyed this fascinating insight into the rise of Hilter and Nazism in Germany (although most accounts are from the aristocracy rather than everyday people).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭griffin100

When I read the title I had a completely different image of what this book was about. I had visions of the Wehrmacht marauding across the Russian steppes in a fleet of Hiaces.

• Advertisement

Web of lies was excellent, thoroughly recommend it to everyone. Next up, this doorstop. I’ll report back in about 4 months when I’m done.

The Imperial War Museum Book of 1914: The Men Who Went to War by Malcolm Brown

This book looks at the year 1914 from the perspective of those on the British front lines, with plenty of quotes from personal diaries and letters to loved ones, used to create the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,847 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We are very lucky that unlike all the other major combatants the British were not censoring letters home early in the war. So British troops in 1914 is the goldmine for trench experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Been trying to listen to as much of RTÉ’s production of Ulysses as I can, for the day that’s in it.

I’ll read a couple of the chapters I’ve missed out on later. Not all of them, obviously.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette by Hampton Sides

Fascinating and well researched account of one of the lesser known polar explorations to reach the North Pole.

Murder Most Local: Historic Murders of Mid Cork by Peter O'Shea

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

My phone, computer, and work are preventing me from reading all the books Id like to so fair play to you for keeping up with the reading.

That's the reason I'm reading as much as I am, really trying to reduce down my screen time but it can be very difficult at times. I can sometimes go weeks or months without reading if work gets in the way or if a book is very boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭bullpost

Greeks bearing Gifts - Philip Kerr.

Last book written in the brilliant Bernie Gunther series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am currently reading Fairy Tale by Stephen King...I am about 20 percent through it is enjoyable enough but a bit slow so far...

Advertisement