Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I got half a ton of small ovoids off easy glo and I cannot get over how good they are high heat and low ash

I've bought off most of the coal companies up north and these have been the best

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭driver02

Anyone know anything about Xtraheat stove coal distributed by Stanford’s Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Chemistry3 wrote: »
    OK, you convinced me to go CW. The tables have now turned and Easyglow are the ones getting a bad rap from everybody now. Creosole build up, Ash issue, small ovoids burning too fast etc...do you suggest the large ovoids from CW or half and half and how much for a tonne delivered?. Easyglow are 382 euros ( 324 plus 58 shipping). Coal Warehouse on FB are 300 euros but shipping must be more...will probably work out similar.

Get the large ones, I didn't know they also had small ovids tbh.. I'm not sure what they charge for a ton we got a deal because we bough a full container. You won't be disappointed nobody in the estate is and have all been burning them for at least the last month

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

I got the easyglow 24 bags for 200, open fire large ovoids. Ordered at lunchtime and was delivered the next morning at 11.30. First impressions on emptying some bags in to the bunker were very little dust and very little broken coal, always a good sign. I was surprised at the size of the ovoid, a fair amount wider than the standard ones. I tested them but didn't add any timber as I wanted to see what the ash would look like in the morning. They release good heat after about half an hour and have a good flame until they glow for another good while. They last a good while before having to refuel. Ash the next day was a normal amount but it was fine ash with no clinkers at all. Only downside is they take at least 15 minutes before they catch fire. All in all I'm very happy with this order as I was a bit wary with people having trouble with ash etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭mun1

Got 2 ton of easy glow ovoids last month (small ones for stove) . Burn just as well as the CW version and give out at least equivalent heat but leave twice as much ash behind , which is a nuisance but nothing more .

Easier shovel small ovoids into the coal bucket from bunker for the missus is a small benefit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

Is anyone here buying anthracite from the North and if so, from where? I've had a quick browse of CW and EG pages but they don't list it or do they call it a different name?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

dollylama wrote: »
    Is anyone here buying anthracite from the North and if so, from where? I've had a quick browse of CW and EG pages but they don't list it or do they call it a different name?

Don't use it myself but I know kosy King sell it, they are up north

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Just got a tonne of ovids from CW. Freebie of a box of firelighters and a bale of briquettes in with the bags. Nice touch. Hopefully the ovids are on par with previous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭podge3

There seems to be a huge difference of opinion on here about the small Easyglow ovoids. Personally, I think they are rubbish with far too much ash and way less heat that the original CW ovoids.

I think the problem to the lack of heat is the amount of ash. Because so much ash is produced, I cannot maintain a good fire for more than a few hours as the grate & ashbox get blocked.

This may also be why some people think the ovoids are fine. I have a 20 KW Boru stove with a good chimney, never had an issue with draught etc. Since I started burning the EG ovoids, I cannot maintain a fire once I burn through a bucket of the stuff - I normally burn about 2 buckets per night. In fairness, the first 2/3 of a bucket burn OK, but then it just dies away due to all the ash.

What I am trying to do now is to use the first bucket of the bad CW ovoids I got last February and then finish off the night with the EGs. I need a bloody slide rule to keep the fire going!

Thats my 2c worth, the EG ovoids are pants and I won't be buying again. Dunno what I'll burn next year as I really don't want to go back to CW either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

podge3 wrote: »
    There seems to be a huge difference of opinion on here about the small Easyglow ovoids. Personally, I think they are rubbish with far too much ash and way less heat that the original CW ovoids.

I think the problem to the lack of heat is the amount of ash. Because so much ash is produced, I cannot maintain a good fire for more than a few hours as the grate & ashbox get blocked.

This may also be why some people think the ovoids are fine. I have a 20 KW Boru stove with a good chimney, never had an issue with draught etc. Since I started burning the EG ovoids, I cannot maintain a fire once I burn through a bucket of the stuff - I normally burn about 2 buckets per night. In fairness, the first 2/3 of a bucket burn OK, but then it just dies away due to all the ash.

What I am trying to do now is to use the first bucket of the bad CW ovoids I got last February and then finish off the night with the EGs. I need a bloody slide rule to keep the fire going!

Thats my 2c worth, the EG ovoids are pants and I won't be buying again. Dunno what I'll burn next year as I really don't want to go back to CW either.

Initially I was happy with the EG Small Ovoids. But the excessive ash from having the stove lit longer is now an issue for me...

• Advertisement

TimHorton wrote: »
    Initially I was happy with the EG Small Ovoids. But the excessive ash from having the stove lit longer is now an issue for me...

Yep, I’m in the same boat , excessive ash is actually smothering the fire overnight and stove is completely cold in the morning which wasn’t the case with CW ovoids
    Back to CW next year then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 u1navxomlkrjq7

TimHorton wrote: »

Agree with both, I have an 18KW stove and since its got a bit colder the heat of the small ovoids is not as good as the larger ones I've used previously. I've also noticed when I close the damper the stove is nearly cold the following morning whereas when I used the large ovoids it would still be warm up until around 12 the following day. Going to have to look at getting a second batch of coal and go with large ovoids this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭podge3

I meant to add in my post earlier that the small ovoids are probably OK in a smaller stove or if lighting a smaller fire - like I was doing when I first took delivery. No use for a big fire, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

dollylama wrote: »

I bought https://www.thedandys.ie/product/tigerlady-anthracite-1-ton-pallet last year. It is actually a 50/50 mix of small anthracite and pet. coke. There is a lot or very small pieces and dust.

It burns very well in my range cooker heating the radiators. There is a lot of ash and clinker but that's to be expected when burning anthracite. If I fill it up with 10 to 12Kg I can get 10 or 12 hours easily.

I'm burning the EasyGlow large and small ovals at the moment and although they (mostly) burn out to a fine ash they have a much shorter fire life. They are fine for the current mild weather but I won't buy them again.

There are much better ovals out there. I've bought these http://coaldirectireland.com/product/eco-stove/ locally and they are on a par with Ecobrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

In the last 2 weeks got 2 pallets of kosyglo, not knowing what is happening in January, anyway, its from Kosyking, been getting coal delivered from them for a few years now, delivery to cork has changed from the last time we used them, but they are still good with price and delivery, one thing i noticed with these 2 pallets of Kosyglo, there is way more ash at least 50% more, seems to burn about the same.

It seems from reading this thread that the make up of some types of coal has changed, i did not think it would happen with Kosyglo as up north its classed as smokeless, not so down here. burning coal in a stove has gotten much harder, what with grates being made with less chromium, coal having way more ash and the risk of melting grates from below, now every couple of days i have to hammer and chisel the clinker of the grate, never had to do that years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Nearly better off buying buy the bag so to avoid the risk of being left with a tonne of coal that’s crap that seems to be the consensus of the last few pages anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Got sent an offer of 2 free bags if I order a ton from Easyglow, would assume anyone ordering a ton would get it if they asked.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Went through my first bunker of small easy glow ovoids and found some CW big ovoids in the bottom.
    Put them in the stove that night and the stove was still glowing the next morning. Which wasn’t happening with the small easy glow ovoids due to them breaking up and smothering each other.

So I’ve ordered a pallet of large ovoids from CW today and going to mix them for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mollymac57

mun1 wrote: »
    Went through my first bunker of small easy glow ovoids and found some CW big ovoids in the bottom.
    Put them in the stove that night and the stove was still glowing the next morning. Which wasn’t happening with the small easy glow ovoids due to them breaking up and smothering each other.

So I’ve ordered a pallet of large ovoids from CW today and going to mix them for the winter.
    I also bought a ton of the small EG ovoids and don’t find them as good as the bigger CW ones. only that I’m burning ash timber with them I’d be disappointed with the heat output. I still have a few bags of large ones from the previous order and am thinking of mixing over the Christmas when Fire will be going all day. Mun1 I would be interested to know how you get on when you try this experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AleoN

podge3 wrote: »
    I meant to add in my post earlier that the small ovoids are probably OK in a smaller stove or if lighting a smaller fire - like I was doing when I first took delivery. No use for a big fire, though.

I have a small inset stove and ordered a ton of small ovoids from Easyglow.
    Worst decision ever. Does not generate same heat as large ovoids from CW and leaves a load of ash in the morning.
    I find they burn out much quicker and the fire is completely cold in the morning.
    As a matter of interest has anyone complained to Easyglow and if so what had they to say ?
    Also got the mail offering 2 free bags with each order. Seems peculiar to be making free offers in the middle of winter. Wonder are they trying to get rid of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

AleoN wrote: »
    Worst decision ever. Does not generate same heat as large ovoids from CW and leaves a load of ash in the morning.
    I find they burn out much quicker and the fire is completely cold in the morning.
    As a matter of interest has anyone complained to Easyglow and if so what had they to say ?
    Also got the mail offering 2 free bags with each order. Seems peculiar to be making free offers in the middle of winter. Wonder are they trying to get rid of them?

Funny, I bought a tonne of the larger ovid from EasyGlow in Sept, and a few pages back I posted a review based on a week or so of using them. I mentioned the Tonne of Ash compared to CW, so much ash in fact I can't load the stove and leave it for 10 hrs, it chokes itself out.
    Heat I had said was OK.

Now, 2 months in.
    EasyGlow is pure junk for me, compared to CW.
    Heat output is 70% of CW, but more importantly it only seems to give heat for a few hrs, the coals as I said before burn out, they actually turn to Ash within an hr.
    Also, having so much Ash is one thing, but the weight of it is another.
    I find I have all vents open to the max, this again a result of so much Ash.
    Never again.

Put this in perspective,
    CW ovids 3/4 of a metal bucket keeps the thermostatically controlled stove going 10 to 12 hrs without touching. Constant peak heat.

EasyGlow, same bucket, I could sit on the stove after 5 hrs, and the heat output for when it is in full flow is poor.

Live and learn, I was with CW for 5 yrs. Back to them next year,
    I was just lucky I didn't order 2 tonne

I just read a post on someone seeing red CW coals in the fire the next morning, I would also have same and the stove fan would be moving, slowly, but moving.

The stove fan with EasyGlow ovids stops moving before I go to bed. Disappointed.

I have a bit of CW coal, but refusing to use them. Or even mix them
    My wife said let's burn the junk first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

P_Cash wrote: »
    Funny, I bought a tonne of the larger ovid from EasyGlow in Sept, and a few pages back I posted a review based on a week or so of using them. I mentioned the Tonne of Ash compared to CW, so much ash in fact I can't load the stove and leave it for 10 hrs, it chokes itself out.
    Heat I had said was OK.

Now, 2 months in.
    EasyGlow is pure junk for me, compared to CW.
    Heat output is 70% of CW, but more importantly it only seems to give heat for a few hrs, the coals as I said before burn out, they actually turn to Ash within an hr.
    Also, having so much Ash is one thing, but the weight of it is another.
    I find I have all vents open to the max, this again a result of so much Ash.
    Never again.

Put this in perspective,
    CW ovids 3/4 of a metal bucket keeps the thermostatically controlled stove going 10 to 12 hrs without touching. Constant peak heat.

EasyGlow, same bucket, I could sit on the stove after 5 hrs, and the heat output for when it is in full flow is poor.

Live and learn, I was with CW for 5 yrs. Back to them next year,
    I was just lucky I didn't order 2 tonne
    Bear in mind it might not be cost effective next year depending how brexit goes

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Bear in mind it might not be cost effective next year depending how brexit goes

compared to the coal down here, I would buy from CW even if it cost a few quid more, I just couldn't get the same quality coal down here .

had a bordnamona smokeless Ovid once, I thought it like burning peat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

P_Cash wrote: »
    compared to the coal down here, I would buy from CW even if it cost a few quid more, I just couldn't get the same quality coal down here .

had a bordnamona smokeless Ovid once, I thought it like burning peat.

Supertherm are very good ovoids but cheapest I could find on average was €19 for 40kg with the occasional bargain to be had for bank holiday sales

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ollin

Just an update on my experience with EG ovoids. After initially being happy with them, I would now agree with a lot that P_Cash has stated. We have a non boiler stove in our kitchen area and there is a significant lack of warmth in the mornings compared to using Stafford’s fuel last year. While the EG ovoids emit a lot of instant heat, it just doesn’t sustain over longer periods.
    In our 19.5kw boiler stove it’s a complete disaster because the amount of fuel needed is quite substantial. So as these ovoids leave all this ash behind, it chokes itself out as alluded to by P_Cash. I have never used CW so I can’t compare. It’s a great idea to have a tonne of coal in for the winter, but if the product doesn’t meet expectations it’s disappointing. Has anyone here ever bought the triple heat/doubles from EG as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SheroP

So currently what is the view on best fuel for stand alone stove ? Recent posts are suggesting large ovoids from a place called cw, is that correct , if so is there a current price list anywhere ( I’m not on the facebokk😳) and roughly what is courier costs ?
    Thank you in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Coal Warehouse
    10 tdlneht sShmfeSdpstiouepmborrhnussoerede ·
    �� Due to supplier increase there will be a price rise starting on Thursday 1st October ��
    Prices will be as follows:
    ��N E W P R I C E L I S T��
    ⚫️ Slack - €130 per tonne
    ⚫️ Singles - €165 per tonne
    ⚫️ Doubles - €220 per tonne
    ⚫️ Polish - €220 per tonne
    ⚫️ Black Diamond - €260 per tonne
    ⚫️ Columbian Doubles - €260 per tonne
    ⚫️ Columbian Coal - €280 per tonne
    ⚫️ Masterheat - €270 per tonne
    ⚫️ Countryblend - €300 per tonne
    ⚫️ Clearflame - €300 per tonne
    ⚫️ Ovoids - €300 per tonne

Annaghmore Road, Coalisland, Co Tyrone BT71 4QZ

I use Joe McGovern Transport and it costs around €76 a ton to deliver to Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishHusk

AleoN wrote: »

I emailed them yesterday about the poor quality of the small ovoids but have got no reply as of yet. Like other posters have said the amount of ash is at least 50% and the fire dies off very quickly. Unfortunately I got hooked into buying the second ton due to 20 euro reduction offer so have a large pile of this rubbish to get through so very annoyed but live and learn. Luckily I have about 1 ton of Kosy King ovoids left over so can mix them up but would never buy from easy glow again unless they offer some response to my email.

• Advertisement

Yesterday Ton of ovoids from CW cost €280 plus €85 for Liam Connolly transport

Advertisement