Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon 4K Fire Stick back down to £34.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I think you might want to go back and reread what I wrote tbh.

I have a shield too, and spec wise it'll wipe the floor with a 4k firestick.

I said for its price it's the best value streaming device you can get (the shield costs more than treble what you can get a 4k stick for), and I stand over that 110%>

If you want to game, run a Plex server etc etc, by all means get a shield at 160stg+.

If you just want to stream Netflix/prime/YouTube or IPTV in 4k/HD with excellent customer support, on a solid little portable device - get a firestick at 40-50stg depending on if Amazon have them on offer.

The Chinese boxes in the same price range are muck in comparison, and so I repeat that the 4k stick is pretty much the best value for money streaming device there is.

Few questions - genuine ones.

How does the stick handle HDMI-CEC with volume controls? When the HDMI-CEC is enabled, does it send the VolUP/VolDown messages over to the TV or just adjusts the local ones?

How much of the HDMI-CEC power sync can you setup? Does it support One Touch Play? Can you enable/disable power-off on TV standby? Can you enable/disable poweroff of the TV on stick power-off/standby?

What audio formats are supported with passthrough? Can you force local decoding and send PCM to the TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

grogi wrote: »
    Few questions - genuine ones.

How does the stick handle HDMI-CEC with volume controls? When the HDMI-CEC is enabled, does it send the VolUP/VolDown messages over to the TV or just adjusts the local ones?

How much of the HDMI-CEC power sync can you setup? Does it support One Touch Play? Can you enable/disable power-off on TV standby? Can you enable/disable poweroff of the TV on stick power-off/standby?

What audio formats are supported with passthrough? Can you force local decoding and send PCM to the TV?

The latest remote control has TV functionality built in to it, ie you pair it with your TV and it controls the volume level/power on the TV set itself.

The stick itself can be set up to sleep after a certain period (iirc) from within settings.

The last question is waaaaaaay beyond my pay grade lol.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Not really comparable though are they? Price per performance the 4k fire stick would be best for most people.

The latest remote control has TV functionality built in to it, ie you pair it with your TV and it controls the volume level/power on the TV set itself.

Over IR or HDMI-CEC?
    The stick itself can be set up to sleep after a certain period (iirc) from within settings.

That's now what I am asking. In short I want to know if:
    • One can switch the TV off with the stick remote?
    • One can switch the TV on with the stick remote?
    The last question is waaaaaaay beyond my pay grade lol.

Fair enough :)

A few more:
    • can you pair xbox one controller with it over BT?
    • is there Steam Link app for the Stick?

Over IR or HDMI-CEC?
    IR

That's now what I am asking. In short I want to know if:
    • One can switch the TV off with the stick remote?
    • One can switch the TV on with the stick remote?
    You can definitely turn the telly off via the remote, but I think it's over IR as opposed to CEC, if you can power the telly on via powering the stick up though? No idea - will test this evening if you like.

Fair enough :)

A few more:
    • can you pair xbox one controller with it over BT?
    • is there Steam Link app for the Stick?

Yea I believe you can add an Xbox controller (you can pretty much add any Bluetooth capable device, third party controllers etc)

I don't believe there's a steam link, unsure if the stick could even handle that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Our Sony Bravia tv remote controls the Firestick. Since the initial setup, the Firestick remote has been living quietly in a drawer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I barely use my tv remote since getting the 4k firestick. The firestick remote turns on my tv, auto switches to the channel and controls volume, which is all I really need. I even use it to control the volume while playing my PS4.

I paired my PS4 controller to the firestick the other day and the lag was terrible, though maybe it's better with other controllers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Sounds good, I ordered one of these yesterday mainly because my harmony hub gave up the ghost. I like the way it can be used for normal tv and nvidia shield and other devices.

Quick question, is there a way you can toggle from hdmi ext to different hdmi extensions with the Firestick remote?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

califano wrote: »
    Sounds good, I ordered one of these yesterday mainly because my harmony hub gave up the ghost. I like the way it can be used for normal tv and nvidia shield and other devices.

Quick question, is there a way you can toggle from hdmi ext to different hdmi extensions with the Firestick remote?

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

Amazons "Prime Day" is soon - 15&16 July.
    Hope to get one or two of them then for prices mentioned in this thread...

Can anyone PM me some links to some interesting things to install on it :)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

***Amazon Firestick Users****

With Amazon winning rights to show football and general streaming, it is advisable to change some settings on the sticks and Amazon box's.

This will stop them just removing apps on the next update.

You need to Stay 3 steps ahead in this cat and mouse game people!

AMAZON USERS PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING

So to protect your stick from the next Amazon update it is suggested

You turn off the Data collection and app usage data in the settings under preferences and security . Would also recommend turning off auto updates .

TO PROTECT OLDER STICK SEE BELOW, ALSO ADVISED TO FOLLOW ON 4K AS WELL

Settings/Preferences/privacy settings

Device Usage Data TURN OFF

Collect App Usage Data TURN OFF

Settings/Preferences/Data Monitoring TURN OFF

Settings/My Fire TV/Developer Options

ADB Debugging TURN OFF

Settings/Applications/Appstore

Automatic Updates TURN OFF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Done, mrawkward. Just received the 4k stick couple of days ago and i'm very impressed with it. Its working well with 3rd party apps and having a shielt tv I wasnt expecting much but its exceeded my expectations. And its very convenient to take travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

mrawkward wrote: »
    ***Amazon Firestick Users****

With Amazon winning rights to show football and general streaming, it is advisable to change some settings on the sticks and Amazon box's.

This will stop them just removing apps on the next update.

You need to Stay 3 steps ahead in this cat and mouse game people!

AMAZON USERS PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING

So to protect your stick from the next Amazon update it is suggested

You turn off the Data collection and app usage data in the settings under preferences and security . Would also recommend turning off auto updates .

TO PROTECT OLDER STICK SEE BELOW, ALSO ADVISED TO FOLLOW ON 4K AS WELL

Settings/Preferences/privacy settings

Device Usage Data TURN OFF

Collect App Usage Data TURN OFF

Settings/Preferences/Data Monitoring TURN OFF

Settings/My Fire TV/Developer Options

ADB Debugging TURN OFF

Settings/Applications/Appstore

Automatic Updates TURN OFF

What apps is it deleting? Not entirely clear.

Monokne wrote: »
    What apps is it deleting? Not entirely clear.

Other 3rd party apps........

mrawkward wrote:
    Other 3rd party apps........

Any proof?

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    Any proof?

I posted this as advice I picked up elsewhere, you be the guinea pig and please do let us know how you get on!!

I posted this as advice I picked up elsewhere, you be the guinea pig and please do let us know how you get on!!

Don't believe in mumbojumbo...

Amazon will not delete apps based on your usage pattern. They might make an app unavailable in the store to everyone if they suddenly decide they do t like it, but it's not based on your usage.

Don't believe in mumbojumbo...

Amazon will not delete apps based on your usage pattern. They might make an app unavailable in the store to everyone if they suddenly decide they do t like it, but it's not based on your usage.

I am talking about non-Amazon sourced apps..........the hint is in the reference to 3rd party apps. These sticks have other applications and users that do not even use the pre-installed apps!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

What are the must have apps for this? So far I've.
    Prime
    Netflix
    Disney life
    All 4
    Moonlight ( for streaming steam games).
    Vlc
    Plex
    YouTube
    Spotify

Is there any thing else?

What are the must have apps for this? So far I've.
    Prime
    Netflix
    Disney life
    All 4
    Moonlight ( for streaming steam games).
    Vlc
    Plex
    YouTube
    Spotify

Is there any thing else?

Yeah a decent IPTV subscription.

This is nonsense, sure Amazon could just stop everyone and anyone installing third party apps overnight if they wanted.

All they'd have to do is just remove the option to install apps from unknown sources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

Yeah a decent IPTV subscription.

I am still searching for a decent one.

Tried a few that were a waste of money but would be happy to pay a bit more for a good one.

Any recommendations from yourself or anyone else would be appreciated (probably best to use pm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

green123 wrote: »
    I am still searching for a decent one.

Tried a few that were a waste of money but would be happy to pay a bit more for a good one.

Any recommendations from yourself or anyone else would be appreciated (probably best to use pm)

I'm in the same boat. Tried a few and they were rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

The standard firestick(not 4k) is only 20 pounds today...

Is this worth getting- for use on a 1080p second tv - or is there something else the 4k is good that I should wait?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Fire-TV-Stick-Streaming-Media-Player-Alexa

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

ozmo wrote: »

Is this worth getting- for use on a 1080p second tv - or is there something else the 4k is good that I should wait?

Buy the HD stick at 20 stg. Good value. Great stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

How do you set up the Fire remote to turn on/off tv instead of just putting the box into standby?

givecredit wrote: »
    ozmo wrote: »

Buy the HD stick at 20 stg. Good value. Great stick.

Is it similar in responsiveness as the 4k one? I had one if the original first gen ones that is a pile of crap, but the 4k one is great. If the £20 ones worked as well but without 4k id be snapping up a few more. I only have one 4k tv so no need for extra 4k ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

4K is down to 25 sterling now anyways...

edit: still coming up full price if you search it but if you go to the home page scroll to deals on amazon devices and select see more deals and it is there in the second row

Just went for the 4K at £25. For the fiver it isn't worth the chance. I've heard the HD stick is much improved from the first gen, but the 4k is a significant step up again.

Also during my "research" one video said if your TV isnt on the right HDMI channel, the firestick remote can turn on your tv and control the volume, but they said holding the home button on the firestick remote changes to the right hdmi channel. Ive not had a chance to test it but i saw it being asked here previously.

Also during my "research" one video said if your TV isnt on the right HDMI channel, the firestick remote can turn on your tv and control the volume, but they said holding the home button on the firestick remote changes to the right hdmi channel. Ive not had a chance to test it but i saw it being asked here previously.

It's home button and then enter and it switches channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭septicsac

2 more ordered for the house, bargain at 25£ for 4k version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Dutchy

Assume no real point in getting one of these if you have Google Home vs. Alexa? Or have I been misinformed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Just went for the 4K at £25. For the fiver it isn't worth the chance. I've heard the HD stick is much improved from the first gen, but the 4k is a significant step up again.

I have both.
    Performance on the 4k is way better.
    Definitely worth the extra £5

Dutchy wrote: »
    Assume no real point in getting one of these if you have Google Home vs. Alexa? Or have I been misinformed ?

I have Alexa but I don't link it in at all with the Firestick.....

I use Alexa for smarthome and I think I can tell Alexa to start a program on the firestick but I never do...

ON the remote you can press the button and talk to firestick to tell it what to do, so I use that

Dutchy wrote: »

Loads, the stick is for watching tV and has a remote. Even if I ask Alexa to turn it on she just says you have loads of sticks on your account. You can use Alexa on the remote to find stuff. Prob the best Android box on the market really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Any way around having to pay for a months Prime ? I can't see any free trials.

Discodog wrote: »
    Any way around having to pay for a months Prime ? I can't see any free trials.

New email address....log in and you should get a 30 day offer....you used to anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

is there a way to use a VPN on the stick to access BBC IPlayer?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

eoinf wrote: »
    is there a way to use a VPN on the stick to access BBC IPlayer?

A smart DNS like Getflix works fine. You'll need your account to be a UK one for the APP to be there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Dutchy

Ignore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Firestick 4K ordered using free trial of prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

Mickeroo wrote: »
    A smart DNS like Getflix works fine. You'll need your account to be a UK one for the APP to be there though.

i half understand this sorry!so i need something different to a VPN?

Presume you mean my amazon account? Can the App be sideloaded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

eoinf wrote: »
    i half understand this sorry!so i need something different to a VPN?

Presume you mean my amazon account? Can the App be sideloaded?

I used ExpressVPN which you can download onto the Firestick. It works like a charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Can this be delivered to ireland without Parcel Motel etc?

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    Can this be delivered to ireland without Parcel Motel etc?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Silly question incoming..,how would I know if the Firestick would work with my tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Silly question incoming..,how would I know if the Firestick would work with my tv?

Does your TV have a HDMI input? If so, it will work

Does it have a HDMI port :P

I have one connected to an old Beko 14" TV which I bought in 200X......it might not be even 14" :eek:

It works "perfect"....well as good as anything will with a TV that old.....I have in bedroom and can watch everything on it....have to squint now with old age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

It’s a 12 year old Sony Bravia. I’m at work, I rang and asked the preteen but she says it doesn’t have a hdmi port. Will see myself when I get home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

Jumped the gun and ordered one of these as on holidays and then deal on

What's the cheapest way to add being able to watch files off a USB drive?

Seen a otg cable etc being suggested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

jeffk wrote: »
    Jumped the gun and ordered one of these as on holidays and then deal on

What's the cheapest way to add being able to watch files off a USB drive?

Seen a otg cable etc being suggested?

Setup Plex or Emby on your pc or laptop

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement