Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wonder if we will see any action in the city. Highly unlikely though I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looks like a fairly active thunderstorm moved over Killarney and south of there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Heavy heavy rain in Castlegregory, Co. Kerry. Thunder and lightning imminent it seems.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Kerry and cork getting the Thunder and lightning today, big heavy showers reported around the county, just got side swiped here early evening with just 0.4mm recorded . A Lot of lightning around Killarney and torrential rain late afternoon.

v0arSxZ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Lots of heavy rain and rumbling most of the afternoon, I only saw cloud to cloud no ground strikes.

600 FT asl - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Possibly have some severe thunderstorms off the SW coast late Weds night early Thursday morning continuing into the afternoon. Watching to see if some heavy rain / thunderstorms might drift up along the coasts. Could be spectacular looking out to sea during the dark hours if it comes to be.

vtvpjXM.gif

arpegeuk-5-42-0_yfs3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Anymore northward nudges and southern areas could be in business

Fri again in the SW has interest for thunderstorm potential as the front dissipates . ECM currently( and for the last few days ) showing tons of CAPE available ( mad amount !!! ) with a very warm moist air mass moving over the heat of the day could lead to some hefty thunderstorms if they form overland. If , If .....

P5fTNEa.gif

arpegeuk-5-69-0_pmg9.png

NdIv2g9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I hate being in the house during lightening (house has been struck several times) I think if this kicks off I will blow the dust off the wife's camera and go down to Derrynane and try and get some pictures.

600 FT asl - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Perhaps a Kerry Clipper early Thursday morning ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Problem is (going by gfs) anyway all the runs over the last 48hours keep the storms well off shore on Thursday. You would think high cloud and very humid is the only call

Problem is (going by gfs) anyway all the runs over the last 48hours keep the storms well off shore on Thursday. You would think high cloud and very humid is the only call

ECM has been nudging the storms a bit closer to Ireland over the last few runs, their thunderstorm predictive charts showing thunderstorms clipping the coast Thurs ( Kerry clipper:pac: ) and showing storms developing in Kerry / W Cork overland from late morning early afternoon on Fri, even showing some severe thunderstorms ???

Thinking if that weak cold front moves in over the SW early Fri than with the lift from the mountains, temperature, convergence, loads of Deep Layer Shear, the moisture ... BANG !

Bit early to be posting convective charts for Friday but worth a close eye to see how it develops, don't see charts like these everyday that's for sure.

Fun guessing anyway!

ABwT6QS.png

jDWfUE2.png

gvGVYxe.png

NnzZjWl.png

RQkVAPA.png

Convective Outlook
    VALID 06:00 UTC Wed 26 Jun 2019 - 05:59 UTC Thu 27 Jun 2019

ISSUED 20:41 UTC Tue 25 Jun 2019

ISSUED BY: Dan

Upper ridge will expand across western Europe on Wednesday, while an upper vortex pivots westwards to the west of Biscay. The net result is advection of a high Theta-W airmass from France, across the Channel Islands and out to the Celtic Sea. Weak impulses running northwards from the English Channel into southern England may produce some showery bursts of rain from high-based elevated convection during Wednesday daytime. Lightning risk is considered quite low.

By late afternoon into the evening, an environment with very steep lapse rates and significant CAPE (1,500 - 2,000 J/kg) will evolve across the Celtic Sea, engaging with the left exit of a strong southerly jet to the west of Biscay. Model guidance is in reasonable agreement for a cluster of potentially very active elevated thunderstorms to develop during this timeframe, expanding in coverage as they drift west-northwestwards on the leading edge of this instability plume over open waters to the south of Ireland. Depending on the exact track, these may pass close to SW Ireland on Wednesday night - and upgrades may be required if trends suggest a heightened chance of reaching SW Ireland, especially late in the night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Yesterdays Thunderstorm in Killarney, now if this happened in Dublin the forum would have gone into overdrive.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/sudden-thunderstorm-causes-flooding-in-killarney-933070.html

Lol you’d swear we never saw heavy rain before !

Check out sat24 enable lightning and see what’s brewing from biscay .

Looks like it just might hit the south and south west but entirely miss the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Check out sat24 enable lightning and see what’s brewing from biscay .

Looks like it just might hit the south and south west but entirely miss the rest of us.

I can't see it making land at all, would be impressive if it did tho.

aisling86 wrote: »
    I can't see it making land at all, would be impressive if it did tho.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance for the South West looking at it again.

This is interesting because it's weather coming from Biscay direction I have not seen in a long long time. Hopefully by the end of the Summer we'll get a good proper Thunderstorm or two, one to remember lol.

In actual fact I wouldn't rule out anything for the South East or East for later too as I see some of the cloud from that storm move this way. Nothing nearly as active but could have the potential.

One thing I remember about proper Thunderstorms before big one hit was that some clouds were moving in different directions, that always puzzled me, might be another sign to watch out for.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Yesterdays Thunderstorm in Killarney, now if this happened in Dublin the forum would have gone into overdrive.

And? What's your point?

Killarney - population approx. 14,500

Dublin - population approx. 1,173,000

Statistically/likely to be more Boards.ie members in Dublin reporting it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I dont think they even have internet in Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'm increasingly off the mind that this forum should be split. One for Dublin/Meath/Kildare and that sort of over-represented area, and another for the rest of us. For example, a fine, warm day for most of the country today, yet you'd swear the next ice age had arrived going by the majority of the comments on the summer threads, simply because there was a small patch of cloud hugging the Dublin/Meath coast.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I'm increasingly off the mind that this forum should be split. One for Dublin/Meath/Kildare and that sort of over-represented area, and another for the rest of us. For example, a fine, warm day for most of the country today, yet you'd swear the next ice age had arrived going by the majority of the comments on the summer threads, simply because there was a small patch of cloud hugging the Dublin/Meath coast.

Happens most times countrywide fine weather is forecast and if it fails to materialise exactly the thread descends into petulance and sourness. My objective personally is to drive it home how beautiful the weather is in my region as a counter balance to the miserable narrative that trys to skew and distort the fine spell in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Im in meath and its been fantastic day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭aidanodr

It would appear the further inland you are the less you are lumbered with cloud versus the coastal areas? Cork area ( Coastal ) for last week or more inc today and looking like for the coming week is going to be mainly Cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

completely clear at home in North Kildare, near the meath border, since late morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Why, if more people reported on that storm yesterday there would have been more chat about it.
    Splitting the treads was tried before it didn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

ZX7R wrote: »
    Why, if more people reported on that storm yesterday there would have been more chat about it.
    Splitting the treads was tried before it didn't work

100%. This is purley down to population. I was jealous I wasn't down there to see it. To be honest the most interesting weather is nearly always down that way. Except snow, Dublin owns snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Lightning to the South appears to be dying out now not as active as it was

• Advertisement

Update from convectiveweather

necHlt8.png

Day 1 Convective Outlook
    VALID 06:00 UTC Wed 26 Jun 2019 - 05:59 UTC Thu 27 Jun 2019

ISSUED 18:23 UTC Wed 26 Jun 2019

ISSUED BY: Dan

UPDATE 18:22 UTC Latest data suggests the risk of elevated thunderstorms affecting parts of SW Ireland later tonight has increased - as such a SLGT has been introduced. First wave of thunderstorms currently ongoing over the Celtic Sea is expected to pass to the south and/or weaken on approach, but the main interest is with a second round of elevated thunderstorms that will likely develop later this evening - perhaps also close to the Scilly Isles - and will then head northwest towards Munster later in the night. Though it must be stressed the majority of activity will likely stay just offshore to the south

Advertisement