Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Feeling sick....with jealousy....reading this thread under cloudless sky in Crete!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Feeling sick....with jealousy....reading this thread under cloudless sky in Crete!

Can we swap? I’d rather the cloudless skies over storms.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Can we swap? I’d rather the cloudless skies over storms.

No....you're grand! :-)

Just hope I don't miss that other holy grail....the mid '80s type lightning/thunderstorm.

All I see on the day pic is a lot of cloud and radar showing light range and drizzle.

No reddish orange glow in the sky so what’s going on ?

No lightning either.

Met eireann forecast already removed any mention of thunderstorm so guess that’s that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Met eireann forecast already removed any mention of thunderstorm so guess that’s that.

It's still in the forecast for this evening?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It's still in the forecast for this evening?

No mention of thunder whatsoever all mention of thunderstorms has been removed.

“Showery rain will continue to extend northwards this evening and early tonight with a few thundery downpours following as the rain clears. Areas of mist and fog will develop as easterly breezes fall mostly light. A humid night with lowest temperatures of 10 to 14 degrees.”

Looks just like normal Irish weather more cloud and light rain.

Satellite pic shows absolutely nothing to be excited about. Not as much as a spark on sat24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

“Showery rain will continue to extend northwards this evening and early tonight with a few thundery downpours following as the rain clears. Areas of mist and fog will develop as easterly breezes fall mostly light. A humid night with lowest temperatures of 10 to 14 degrees.”

Satellite pic shows absolutely nothing to be excited about. Not as much as a spark on sat24.

Have patience! Its not even mid-day yet.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Have patience! Its not even mid-day yet.

I’m being realistic met eireann know it too. Hope I’m wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

I’m being realistic met eireann know it too. Hope I’m wrong.

Plenty of opportunities for thunderstorms over the coming week in many parts of the country. Relax people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

It says thundery downpours in the section you quote? Mind you, just “a few”, but there all the same,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Scrabbel wrote: »
    It says thundery downpours in the section you quote? Mind you, just “a few”, but there all the same,

From my experience of Irish weather-watching, 'thundery downpours' just means bigger raindrops...I'm not getting over-excited for today or this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

See highlighted section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

dear lord,people are so misinformed,there was never any forecast for the violent thunderstorms with 'orange skies' (cringe) forecast for sunday, more thundery rain,actual thunderstorms are possible as the week progresses as the humidity instability and warmth increases in the atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Tonights thunder risk (which isnt a low risk) is brought about by the advection of warm and humid air chasing the rain band

The problem with social media now (inc boards) versus the 1980s is that theres too much waiting and too much commentary
    There should be a lot of thunder around in the next week
    It could be anywhere
    Convergence storms in the inland southeast
    Pulse storms anywhere/heavy showers
    French/Celtic sea/Welsh imports
    Pure heat and humidity localised storms in the west later in the week that could be intense

None of this has happened yet
    It's just that its likely
    posts going on about it's not going to happen etc are stupid in my opinion
    Just Enjoy the ride instead, you could have lots of excitement ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what do you reckon blanket or fork lightning tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Ull always get the usual suspects going against the grain to try and wind up others.

dear lord,people are so misinformed,there was never any forecast for the violent thunderstorms with 'orange skies' (cringe) forecast for sunday, more thundery rain,actual thunderstorms are possible as the week progresses as the humidity instability and warmth increases in the atmosphere.

I never mentioned violent thunderstorms but there was reference to thunderstorms in yesterday’s forecast and again last night after the news.

Why do you cringe when you read orange skies ? This is exactly what I would have observed back when we used to have actual thunderstorms not few flashes once every 5-10 mins and a few rumbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Certainly not looking as decent as it was a couple of days ago. Annoyingly it looks like the UK is going to hog it all.

For tonight though I certainly wouldn’t rule out anything especially for some sparks up through the Irish Sea with the increase of the Theta W airmass.
    So those on the SE and E Coasts may be able to see some flashes

Keeping an eye on maybe something more organized coming out of SW Eng/ S Wales later in the night and making its way across the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

scatterd thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow,some very heavy -Michelle Dillion farming forecast

28 degrees in the midwest end of the week.

The pessimism on here is unreal.Its as if people want the most violent thunderstorm directly over their house with the highest max otherwise the whole thing is just irrelevant.A bit of balance and rationality.The week will be warm/very warm/hot,the nights muggy and humid for a large majority of the country,some people will experience thunderstorms,some wont.Try and savour it.

All models apart from GFS now agree it will be warming up significantly as next week progresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The pessimism on here is unreal.Its as if people want the most violent thunderstorm directly over their house with the highest max otherwise the whole thing is just irrelevant.A bit of balance and rationality.

well fek it! there's nothing else to look forward to is there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM has backed off thunderstorm activity tonight but ICON Hi Res has storms in the SW/ S from around 19.00 moving Northwards at the back edge of the front with a clearance behind . I think if we do have storms they will be elevated . Handy model has picked up stuff in the past where others have not. WRF-NMM also showing potential. Certainly tomorrow looks having way more , potentially lively. Will see

anim_qrw7.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Met office have warnings in place for heavy rain and thunderstorms for Northern Ireland on Monday

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1142744328323895296

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

D0-A4-D96-D-3777-4-BA6-BD4-E-62-ED9556959-A.jpg

Ominous skies over Brandon Bay, Co. Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Nice and simple watch area IMO for tonight. All coastal counties of Leinster. No point trying to pin down a more localised area with the such a variation of NWM ouput. Good luck to anyone heading out for it.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It is looking rather a disappointing evening this evening for thunder fans. No lightening in our part of the world according to lightningmaps.org. Loads in Eastern Europe and into Russia.

Met eireann have thunderstorm forecast back for Tomorrow afternoon, humid and up to 22 deg.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Very disappointing that the spell of heavy rain this evening produced no lightning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Very disappointing that the spell of heavy rain this evening produced no lightning.

I didn't think we'd get much if anything, warm air hasn't arrived yet, currently quite cool under that rain and cloud, warmth doesn't arrive till tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

For anyone needing some thunder.. Great light show from the US last night. The stream stopped at 12.20am as the cam took a direct hit! You can rewind it a few hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIcaNyDuRT0&feature=youtu.be

Advertisement