Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

[Aul wan]Grand drying weather lads.[/Aul wan]

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That was my thought too tbh but 6 weeks later I see the job still advertised. The job itself is taking an item in house that was previously subcontracted. So it is already a cost cutting/Revenue generating role. It is a compliance job too so the clients HAVE to get someone to do it.

The penny pinching in my current job is getting too much. 9 months now waiting for a bonus to be paid. My last salary review was dragged out for 13 months.

If you can afford the risk then go for it, only you know your current situation and how things will shape up if it goes pear-shaped.

My employer is still recruiting atm and for one role they were advertising for since last Oct they had 3 reasonable CVs in between then and Feb, however in March alone they got 6 unbelievable CVs with experience to back them up and made an offer the other day. So a lot of companies are shedding staff and competition is going to be fairly fierce for what's available when this all calms down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've had my share of PFOs, including about 2 weeks ago. I'm confident in interviews without being arrogant, but fall short in being articulate, I think. Don't really buy the 'more you do, the better you get at it' thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Would you try toastmasters or anything TBO?

Peen listening to the Philosophize This podcast alot lately - cracking show and a good aul time to be listening to it on walks

D'Agger wrote: »
    Would you try toastmasters or anything TBO?

I went twice, as a guest. They were very nice and friendly. Then the lockdown kicked in. It was fun, though some of the formalities were cringe. :p Not sure I fancy following a manual, but anyway. Have you done it? I've done a lot of radio interviews, public speaking doesn't bother me.

Was in the city centre yesterday. Grafton St was a good bit busier than 4 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

I went twice, as a guest. They were very nice and friendly. Then the lockdown kicked in. It was fun, though some of the formalities were cringe. :p Not sure I fancy following a manual, but anyway. Have you done it? I've done a lot of radio interviews, public speaking doesn't bother me.

Was in the city centre yesterday. Grafton St was a good bit busier than 4 weeks ago.
    Went as a guest once or twice ahead of a best man speech but never fully partook, would definitely go back given I absolutely hate public speaking so if I had to do more for my career, I could see how it would benefit me

Are we all still sane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Were we ever sane?

I'm doing ok. I tell ya lads, this has taught me that I couldn't do an office job. I'm developing a serious aversion to the laptop 😂

Hope everyone else is doing well!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm getting through some amount of cans

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Monday to Friday I do enough to keep myself occupied, the odd weekend I'll have some cans... Especially this week cause house painting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I went to the off licence to get beer when this all started just before Paddys Day. They didn't have a box of Spaten (my beer of choice) so I bought a tray of Hop House.

Down to my last 2 cans now but I am sick of it. Never buying it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I've picked some random crap beers just to try something new.

And some excellent ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Normally a Guinness drinker but from the can it's not great. Lidl carry a nice brand of wheat beer, Franzsiskaner (sp), really nice. They had a mad selection of fancy corked beers a few weeks ago, 750cl bottles and one of them was 7.5%. Drank 3 of them one night and was fairly well oiled afterwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I went teetotal in December. Feel a little cheated as I do enjoy a few chocolate bars and salty treats from time to time which leads me to putting on weight easily.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Started actively tracking days I've been drinking, took a week off, going to have a few this evening but going to see how long I can go after that

Missing the gym and finding it hard to work out from home, mainly doing yoga and stretching due to sitting so much between work and having fúck all else to do but sit on the couch in the evenings. On the plus side I'm reading a good bit - Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall has me hooked at the moment, if anybody needs a recommendation. Philosophize this podcast too has been a great listen.

I'd love a sauna for the gaff!

Have been doing yoga for runners (Adriene) since last August or so. Have also done some for core which is a different ball game. :P Do strengthening when I can, no equipment, just Youtube, etc. Mostly to prevent injury.

Signed up for a short diploma with UCD to keep me sane through the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Have been doing yoga for runners (Adriene) since last August or so. Have also done some for core which is a different ball game. :P Do strengthening when I can, no equipment, just Youtube, etc. Mostly to prevent injury.

Signed up for a short diploma with UCD to keep me sane through the summer.

I'm a big fan of Yoga With Adriene, finished her 30 Days of Yoga challenge last week so need to hit the next one from tomorrow to keep the ball rolling. Also hitting the kettlebell and resistance band training quite well since lockdown. Definitely reading more than usual at the moment, and also catching up on my fairly extensive Youtube 'To Watch Later' list :D

I'm not a regular drinker at all, but have enjoyed the odd couple of bottles of cider or beer lately. Not something I'd introduce too often, but its been pleasant for a change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've tried doing some coding stuff. It's grim as I don't really have the determination to make it work. Don't drink thankfully but I do enjoy the odd snack or several. Trying to get out to the local park whenever I can which is nice.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

It's July, lads.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yes, yes it is..

This year has pretty much been a write off in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

2020, written by Stephen King, directed by Quentin Tarantino.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

What did I get for my birthday a couple of weeks ago? An "eviction" notice! Hooray!
    Moved in already to an awesome house. Well worth the stress of a week of fighting with my greedy ex landlord who tried to rip us (housemates and me) off. Good riddance to him! :)

On the other hand, my flight home next month has been cancelled because of ye know what. :(

Still wondering how I'm going to handle my sister's wedding next month.

The heat here (London) is obscene. Also, why do so many people carry stainless steel water bottles.

H. H. Asquith

Still wondering how I'm going to handle my sister's wedding next month.

The heat here (London) is obscene. Also, why do so many people carry stainless steel water bottles.
    If they're insulated then they'll keep your beverage cool or hot - have mine and love filling it with coffee to have after a morning dip in the ocean. Better than plastic bottles too I suppose.

If they're insulated then they'll keep your beverage cool or hot - have mine and love filling it with coffee to have after a morning dip in the ocean. Better than plastic bottles too I suppose.

All that makes sense. Any recommendations? They just seem to have sprang out of nowhere. Fancied a Chilly's but didn't know which size would be best and they didn't have a cat one.

H. H. Asquith

All that makes sense. Any recommendations? They just seem to have sprang out of nowhere. Fancied a Chilly's but didn't know which size would be best and they didn't have a cat one.
    I have an edamame one I reckon it's about 500ml maybe 700 it doesn't say it on the site I linked, brief aside - I got it in a gift shop for Seal Rescue Ireland, kinda just wanted to buy something from the gift shop because I don't believe there're incredibly well funded - would recommend anybody adopt a seal if you're stuck for a gift - good cause and they're lovely people running it

Chillys seem to be the brand I see everywhere alright though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

-I got it in a gift shop for Seal Rescue Ireland, kinda just wanted to buy something from the gift shop because I don't believe there're incredibly well funded - would recommend anybody adopt a seal if you're stuck for a gift - good cause and they're lovely people running it

Never heard of them before but next time I am in Wexford I am going.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Never heard of them before but next time I am in Wexford I am going.

Definitely get a chilly's bottle. Have a 750ml bottle and great for keeping water cold for a good part of the day. Haven't tried on hot drinks yet.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Definitely get a chilly's bottle. Have a 750ml bottle and great for keeping water cold for a good part of the day. Haven't tried on hot drinks yet.

Out of curiosity, if you filled up one with tap water and left it in a fridge would the water get cold or would it take ages? Tempted to get the Elephant one as they don't have cats.

Nowhere near me sells them hence the question about volume.

H. H. Asquith

ToxicPaddy wrote: »

The bottle wasn't really the draw tbh :pac:

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, if you filled up one with tap water and left it in a fridge would the water get cold or would it take ages? Tempted to get the Elephant one as they don't have cats.

Nowhere near me sells them hence the question about volume.

Good question, no clue tbh.

I put cold water in mine and it stays cold for the whole period I'm drinking it which isn't very long I'm fairness as I usually fill it 3 x times a day.

Advertisement