Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter 2011/2012

1656667686971»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It has been a lovely winter.

Stop teasing the punters Sponge :mad:

- kicking a snowbunny when he's down is singularly unedifying. You pull wings off flies when yer bored? :(

Having said that, it is rather pleasant here this morning, 13C, calm, sunny, clear blue skies. :)

What's not to like? It's like a fine morning in May - only it's warmer. :D

Yeeeehah! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Mildest since 1989 for Shannon and Belmullet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Mildest since 1989 for Shannon and Belmullet.

And I live half way between them. So I kinda knew it was warm.

We had c.1 day of graupel and sleet with even rarer flurries of snow for every 3 cold ramping threads in this forum. If that sort of hit ratio is maintained over future winters the place will be a complete laughing stock. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    We had c.1 day of graupel and sleet with even rarer flurries of snow for every 3 cold ramping threads in this forum. If that sort of hit ratio is maintained over future winters the place will be a complete laughing stock. :(

You have a unique way of putting things SB, I have to admit that.

I'll remember this winter more for its drizzle and dampness than for its warmth. I don't mind drizzle proper at all, the thick, driving, intense stuff but this winter seemed to have endless days where it wasn't actually raining but yet so very damp that grimy puddles just seemed to develop and expand out of nothing. I counted about 3 days this winter where the roads actually dried up for a few hours (though never fully). Also, which seems to be an increasing trend over the last few winters, we have had very few spells of proper heavy rain which seems a little odd for such an Atlantic dominated season. I actually can't remember the last time we had a good solid soaker of a day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I actually can't remember the last time we had a good solid soaker of a day.

I think the eastern half of Ireland is really quite close to being in a drought and if March is dry as I suspect it will be then the situation will be serious with 4 months of below average rainfall on the trot...we seemingly got drizzlier drizzle in the West than you did.

smd_pd.gif

smd_wd.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

I have seen it all now - no snow in Ireland this winter, yet today it was snowing in Syria! You gotta laugh! :D:D

D

derekon wrote: »
    I have seen it all now - no snow in Ireland this winter, yet today it was snowing in Syria! You gotta laugh! :D:D

D
    So hell does freeze over! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

boooringggg booorringggg winter :(

bring on the snow next winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

And there will probably be a foot of snow in New York for Paddy's day :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

NY have had quite a mild winter too across the Atlantic. Temperatures frequently heading above 60 degrees Fahrenheit and lower snow than average throughout their winter :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

boooringggg booorringggg winter :(

bring on the snow next winter

Its certainly been the most boring winter I can remember!! - unless your a fan of mild drizzle;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Its certainly been the most boring winter I can remember!! - unless your a far of mild drizzle;)

You're on the wrong side of the mountains :D

Very little drizzle here.

Also very little rain, snow, frost, thunder, hail, graupel, fog, wind or sunshine!

The Ultimate Meh? :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

well next winter can only be better, even if next winter is another mild winter it's still bound to throw in a few 24 hour northerly topplers which were even non-existant this winter. So were bound to see a bit more wintryness next winter even if it doesnt amount to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Winter 2011/12 was quite mild and dry, especially coming after three cold winters in a row. Met Eireann’s report for the season states that the winter was also much cloudier than average. Sunshine figures are not recorded at our South Laois County station in Durrow owing to nearby buildings and hedgerows – so the National Service provider’s data is used here. Also, note that the winter months used in Ireland are December, January and February for meteorological reasons as opposed to the more familiar ancient Gaelic calendar of November, December and January which is still popular in modern culture...

Much more on this report here... http://www.laoisweather.com/forecasts/2012/03/05/seasonal-report-winter-201112/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Winter 2011/12 was quite mild and dry, especially coming after three cold winters in a row. Met Eireann’s report for the season states that the winter was also much cloudier than average. Sunshine figures are not recorded at our South Laois County station in Durrow owing to nearby buildings and hedgerows – so the National Service provider’s data is used here. Also, note that the winter months used in Ireland are December, January and February for meteorological reasons as opposed to the more familiar ancient Gaelic calendar of November, December and January which is still popular in modern culture...

Much more on this report here... http://www.laoisweather.com/forecasts/2012/03/05/seasonal-report-winter-201112/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Winter 2011 / 12 wasn't boring at all. Here are the extreme weather events that took place during this Winter (see if you remember any):

- Hurricane Bawbag (8 Dec)
    - Cyclone Hergen (12-13 Dec)
    - Warmest Christmas Day on record
    - Cyclone Ulli (3 Jan)
    - Cyclone Andrea (4 Jan)
    - Summer-like temperatures on February 23rd

Overall the Winter was very dull (dullest for decades in places) (it evened things out though as the Winters of 2009/10 and 2010/11 were exceptionally sunny), mild and relatively dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note

Zombie thread - closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement