Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 Historic Pictures Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Gaspode wrote: »
    Still there!

Check Google maps 53.385069,-6.458502

As a kid I used to cycle that way almost every week during the summer holidays. Never knew it had that name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

py2006 wrote: »
    I am finding it hard to get my barings on this pic! Is that Blanchardstown Church towards the top left?

It seems to be a different angle or is that because the roads are different! Is the road that starts from the bottom left the road coming from Castleknock? The turn left into Blanch village seems a bit more angular in them days?

Corduff park is in the top right hand corner.

Love the spellings, Malhuddart and Courtduff etc wonder when they were changed or if it was a mistake?

warrenstown house in corduff was called courtduff to distinguish form corduff ie: the townland.

corduff is on record as the name of that place as far back as the 1300's.

it is a celtic name and would been associated even longer than that date as that time simply coincided with records being taken etc.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 F.Russell

An aerial view of Blanchardstown, but unfortunately I cant find a date for it. Anyone care to try identify some of the landmarks?

aerial-view-of-blanchardstown.jpg
    I am about to reply to Thread No. 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 F.Russell

This aerial photograph was taken from east of the Royal Canal during the Summer, as evidenced by the white rings in some of the fields where haycocks recently stood. In the foregrond of the picture is the chimney stack of the British Margarine factory, while to the left is Castleknock Bridge and, to its left is Bradys farm where many villagers got their buttermilk for breadmaking. The house almost surrounded by trees beside the Bridge is Manleys farm (now Roselawn). The field in front of the stack(now Woodpark) leads down to it apex at Davy&Phelans pub(now The Bell).To the left of Davys the ' Priests Field ' is clearly shown with ' the shed ' used as a changing room for St Brigids GFC, who were tenants there from the early 30's to the late 70's. St Brigids church spire dominates the picture with the original National School alongside (now the Community Centre). Parts of the Priests Field were used for the new National School in 1956 and its subsequent extension in the 70's. It would surprise me if this and other aerial photos were not taken at the same time, c. 1948, as a group of shots. The village was truly small then, with the Main St and Church dominating.The road down to the abbottstown Demense(now Connolly Hosp/Dept of Agriculture) gate is evident, it passes the ' Blanchardstown Mills ' building on its left prior to crossing the Tolka River. Further up the village in the photo are the ' crossroads ', from where three roads left for Corduff. Clonsilla and Mulhuddart, respectively. Noticeable from the photois the absence of houses/housing developments on these roads, as Blanch was surrounded by farmland in those days.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

Not sure where I got these, been in the pc a while.

Shows Dublin west in the 19th Century, many of the place names recognisable today.

1848, hasn't changed much in the few years since the previous map.

Cool map! Whats that big hill in Clonee?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Dont think the hills were as dramatic as the old maps make them out to be!

Sorry for so many photos but a friend got permission to view this on the weekend.

An awful waste and something that could be used.

Thoughts anyone?

21b4y85.jpg

j6kap4.jpg

10e4ynr.jpg

29glr86.jpg

2193n6v.jpg

2vcbzua.jpg

2ih5p20.jpg

2s788e1.jpg

2n24fsz.jpg

168v97a.jpg

1tagqd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Still there!

Check Google maps 53.385069,-6.458502

It is a small road and can be difficult if there is a tractor present :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What are those places/buildings?

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    What are those places/buildings?

I knew someone would ask :D

That's Abbotstown house believe it or not. Impressive isn't it :D

I used to rob the orchard here when I was a kid. What an estate it must have been.

Its a bit plain, if big. Where is it. Is the grave yard there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

An aerial view of Blanchardstown, but unfortunately I cant find a date for it. Anyone care to try identify some of the landmarks?

It looks like you can see the 2 bridges over the canal and railway in it anyway, castleknock road bridge to the left, and the blanchardstown main street/navan road bridge to the right side in the photo, where the canal locks are.

BostonB wrote: »
    Its a bit plain, if big. Where is it. Is the grave yard there?

The graveyard is known i think as Caveen.

It's on the same grounds...used to play there as a kid also...some graves from the 1600's and 1700's.

Rumor has it will be demolished.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Wow, hard to believe Abbotstown house has gone so derelict looking. I've been in it many times when the Dept of Ag had it for labs & offices. A lot of the original features were messed up whn it was converted over to such use, but some of them were still in place. Was a fine house in it's day, and it's a crying shame to see it go to rack & ruin.
    I assume the state still owns it since it took the land at Abbotstown for the Bertiebowl that never was.

Wow, hard to believe Abbotstown house has gone so derelict looking. I've been in it many times when the Dept of Ag had it for labs & offices. A lot of the original features were messed up whn it was converted over to such use, but some of them were still in place. Was a fine house in it's day, and it's a crying shame to see it go to rack & ruin.
    I assume the state still owns it since it took the land at Abbotstown for the Bertiebowl that never was.

I think it's an awful shame.

The lands are actually owned now by the sports campus crowd but that building could be used for something I'm sure.

The orchards were demolished years ago but we spent many summers around there. We used to get a good chase of the gotchy too . :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sw15

I never even knew this existed! What a shame ... in the right hands it could be another Farmleigh. Thanks for posting the photos...

Before the M50 was builit you could drive from the River Road up past that graveyard and come out near Cappagh (memory of exact locations are a bit fuzzy now!). I do remember though that there was a really nasty turn just as you passed the little graveyard, and we used to suspect that most of the bodies in there were poeple who didnt know how bad the turn was.

I remember that. That turn, and graveyard is in the book about D.15 ( A Candle in the Window - A History of the Barony of Castleknock). I think there was some ruin there. In the book I think it was house for someone important, perhaps a bishop. I forget exactly.

There was a mass burial area uncovered in the 30's I think it was exactly where the M50 bridge is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Hopefully Abbottstown House won't end up demolished, I imagine there's a preservation order on it. It's in government hands so it won't be neglected as other buildings have been in Dublin. It might be unoccupied but it's still being heated and has had the roof insulated recently. A section of the stairway atrium had started to sag and while they had to cut out a lot of the plaster work to repair it the parts they cut out are stored correctly so they can be replaced.

I've been to Ashtown house a couple of times in the past few years, friends of a friend having been living there and they have some parties there. It's an incredible place and I'm glad it's not left empty.
    Given what's happened to Hume street lately at least Abbotstown and Ashtown House have people looking after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Thank you so much for posting the pictures of the graveyard - I've been trying to locate that graveyard for a while now and without success. I remember going there years back for a drive and the way I went was from Finglas down the River Road and take the first right towards the food research place - is that the same graveyard or is it another one. That road has since been blocked.

Is there a way I could walk by the graveyard and if so could you please give me directions.

I drive up the river road on a daily basis - what's the history of the River Road - some of the houses have big black gates and others are quaint cottages. Just curiousity more than anything. I was driving very slowly the other day and in the fields there seemed to be older cottages and sheds etc.

deelite wrote: »
    Thank you so much for posting the pictures of the graveyard - I've been trying to locate that graveyard for a while now and without success. I remember going there years back for a drive and the way I went was from Finglas down the River Road and take the first right towards the food research place - is that the same graveyard or is it another one. That road has since been blocked.

Is there a way I could walk by the graveyard and if so could you please give me directions.

I drive up the river road on a daily basis - what's the history of the River Road - some of the houses have big black gates and others are quaint cottages. Just curiousity more than anything. I was driving very slowly the other day and in the fields there seemed to be older cottages and sheds etc.

you can gain access by getting clearance at the security hut at the entrance where you access the FAI. I dont think they can refuse you but you will need clearance in advance. all you need to say is your distant relative is buried there.

then take the road right and south......smashing place

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PASSIFYOUCAN

Hi, I first visited Chaoimhin St Kevins back in the 70s when the roads were in use. A lot of the headstones have went missing since then.
    I took a couple of photos last weekend from the disused road. Access now will be nigh on impossible as all the lands have been leased for cultivation with a lot of agri machinery on the move.
    024ls.jpg
    025ymt.jpg
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ciarakitten

Hi there, thanks for all this brilliant info. Does anyone know any info about this old house in Blanchardstown village across from the bell? Who lived there?

ciarakitten, you've posted this twice so I'll remove one for you. You've also asked the same question elsewhere - once is generally enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

F.Russell wrote: »
    This aerial photograph was taken from east of the Royal Canal during the Summer, as evidenced by the white rings in some of the fields where haycocks recently stood. In the foregrond of the picture is the chimney stack of the British Margarine factory, while to the left is Castleknock Bridge and, to its left is Bradys farm where many villagers got their buttermilk for breadmaking. The house almost surrounded by trees beside the Bridge is Manleys farm (now Roselawn). The field in front of the stack(now Woodpark) leads down to it apex at Davy&Phelans pub(now The Bell).To the left of Davys the ' Priests Field ' is clearly shown with ' the shed ' used as a changing room for St Brigids GFC, who were tenants there from the early 30's to the late 70's. St Brigids church spire dominates the picture with the original National School alongside (now the Community Centre). Parts of the Priests Field were used for the new National School in 1956 and its subsequent extension in the 70's. It would surprise me if this and other aerial photos were not taken at the same time, c. 1948, as a group of shots. The village was truly small then, with the Main St and Church dominating.The road down to the abbottstown Demense(now Connolly Hosp/Dept of Agriculture) gate is evident, it passes the ' Blanchardstown Mills ' building on its left prior to crossing the Tolka River. Further up the village in the photo are the ' crossroads ', from where three roads left for Corduff. Clonsilla and Mulhuddart, respectively. Noticeable from the photois the absence of houses/housing developments on these roads, as Blanch was surrounded by farmland in those days.!

Thank you for this fascinating insight! Do you have any knowledge of what is slightly left of the picture! The whole areas of Delwood and Brompton etc. Would love to know anything about the history of these areas! I assume they were merely fields but what were they called after etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I drove down the River Road today and took the last possible right, the turn towards Elm Green Golf Centre (parked at the bollards). I walked down the river on the left hand side which is a lovely walk, there's one or two old bridges there. But then I couldn't go any further as it was blocked by trees - what's up further does anybody know, and also is this a known dangerous area to be in? I was up there as I was told I could get to the graveyard that way.

• Subscribers Posts: 78 ✭✭minttea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

deelite wrote: »
    I drove down the River Road today and took the last possible right, the turn towards Elm Green Golf Centre (parked at the bollards). I walked down the river on the left hand side which is a lovely walk, there's one or two old bridges there. But then I couldn't go any further as it was blocked by trees - what's up further does anybody know, and also is this a known dangerous area to be in? I was up there as I was told I could get to the graveyard that way.

Haven't gone up there in years but yes your in the right area, with all the construction work over the last 15 years god knows what it is like. I used to deliver into Abbottstown labs up the small lane but never noticed the graveyard, the lane was bad then 20 years ago. If you could keep going you would come out at the dip in the road at the entrance to J.C. Hospital from the village. walked past the bridge the other day and a skanger came out of that same place. Would have to say be very careful scouting down there, I would try going in the Snugborough road way.

Advertisement