Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best/worst thing your body has done

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

beks101 wrote: »
    I think this is a classic case of the body just being a big giant cnut for no apparent reason. Just because it can.

I suffered with terrible skin for years, despite having a perfectly clean diet and healthy lifestyle and using soap-free oil-free products etc and not doing the things that my peers around me did (who had beautifully clear skin) such as binge drinking and smoking and eating shyte and never exercising.

Took me several years of antibiotics, two courses of accutane and thousands of pounds worth of products and treatments before there was any give with my skin, and even at that - time of the month or forgetting to take my makeup off before bed and BAM, breakouts everywhere.

Adult acne is a fcuking dickhead.
    If it were a person it would be Katie Hopkins.
    Arsehole for the sake of being an arsehole.

Fantastic post. You nailed it right on the head there. Have already done one course of roacc and had a year of fabulous spot free skin but need a second dose :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Best: orgasm
    Worst: I bruise like a peach :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

Links234 wrote: »
    My body is a bit.. weird. :o especially when it comes to sleep. I suffer from insomnia, had sleep paralysis as a child, but perhaps the weirdest is that I got the Jimmy legs! :eek: Serious, nasty Jimmy legs. Once I hit the bed, it just keeps going. I can be asleep, and have a spasm in a leg that wakes me right up. it's kinda ****ed up

Sounds like the Karl Pilkington "restless legs syndrome"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Worst. Messy drinker, it brings out the worst in me. Can be very intense sometimes.

Best. Bombproof constitution. Can't remember the last time I was sick. Also, good hair. 46 & hardly any 'snow on the roof'.

I have made it something of a fetish to see what my body can do. I run and cycle every day with the hound. I do BJJ and capoeira to really push it though. Swimming. Sex in weird positions. I tried Yoga but got bored with it - but I try to incorporate some of yoga into the things I listed above.

Recently I have been trying to push the borders on the control I have on my body. This involves a kind of "dance" you do in the garden with paper hanging from thread around you - where you hold these wet marker things in your hands - and the goal is to execute bodily movements - usually involving some kind of spin - where you leave a marker mark on a piece of paper - but without touching the paper enough that it noticeably moves. It is _in_fur_i_ating. Like you would not believe. But when you execute a move where you leave 3 or 4 dots on paper without barely touching them - it feels incredible.

As for the worst thing my body has done - I have had two weird infections that almost literally crippled me - but the worst was during training once a muscle gave out on me during a complex move - and then while trying to land peacefully on the mat a series of muscles that tried to take me down gently all gave out in a cascade too.

Longest I ever spent in bed ever getting over that one. But what an experience.

Normally if you get a sharp pain - like saying being kicked in the balls - your body folds itself naturally to accommodate the pain - but imagine a body that contorts itself to balance a pain - but causes more pain as it does so by pulling something else - your whole body ends up kicking around the place trying to find that one spot that it wants to be in - but causing pain the whole way down and exacerbating the other problems each time. It was hell. Probably only took 30 seconds over all - but it was the longest 30 seconds of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Converting both the 5 euro snackbox meal from the local chipper and the most exquisite cuisine available into equally soild brown logs.

It's like the essence of life, doesn't matter what you are before you die. Because afterwards we're all gonna be little cylinders of brown poop

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mushu

Best: Growing giving birth to and nursing two beautiful children.

Worst: Failing to grow three other children. Also, my oesophagus doesn't work properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

lazza14 wrote: »
    Sounds like the Karl Pilkington "restless legs syndrome"
    that's exactly what it is, also known as jimmy legs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Worst: Almost choked in my sleep after an extremely heavy night on the beer 4 years ago, only for I awoke in mid vomit, scared the hell out of me. Have never gotten in that kind of a state since.

Best: My quick thinking/reflexes have gotten other people out of injury/death. Was working one time in a supermarket, doing a stocktake and I was up on a ladder counting a load of jam jars, a manager (who I didn't like by the way, he was always a prick to me) was counting stuff on his knees on a much lower shelf, he shook the shelf and there just happened to be a giant glass jar of Nutella one of those jars with like 50% extra in it was on the top shelf above his head and it fell off, and if I didn't grab the jar like Superman, he'd have been in Casualty pulling glass out his forehead for the night.

Another day about 3 years ago, a little boy, must have been like 4 years old, mother nowhere to be found, young lad suddenly runs out in front of van on a really busy road, a Pat the Baker van heading right for him, I didn't even have a chance to think and darted for him, picked him up and ran to the other side of the road while the van blew me out of it, put the young lad down at the other side of the road, I was massively out of breath due to fright, his mother was in a shop buying a litre of milk and he got away on her. The mother bought me a cup of coffee and apologised prefusely. I seem to be there at the right time for folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Projectile vomit during junior cert mocks. Didn't make much of a mess but its the slagging you get afterwards.

Dodgy left ankle that I keep going over on, celulitus infection and dislocated sholders. Damn my body can be a pain in the arse sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

Worst: Going bald in twenties

Best: Saving a life

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

I was on a six week meditation course in 1979. During one meditation, my body felt completely weightless, and I lifted up into the air and down again several time, like a bouncing beach ball, and moved back and forth across the meditation room while doing so.

I have been meditating for almost 40 years and have been on many similar (and longer) meditation courses, but I've never had the experience since.

Over the years, I've read people debating whether it is possible for the body to lift off the ground effortlessly. Of course, most people don't agree that it can (which makes sense, of course), but I've had one experience of it and I know it that it can happen.

Unlikely to happen again in my lifetime, but who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

It had a seizure about three weeks ago.

Was in hospital for a week.

MRI and EEG came back normal. It was my first so I am hoping it is a one off. 10 % of the population have one and of those half never have another. So 5% of the population have one seizure in their lifetime.

I just found out my godmother had a few at my age and then they stopped.

Felt horrific after can't describe it. Also I bashed myself to bits and bit the **** out of my tongue.

I feel very lucky though. My neighbour died a few days after I got out. He left a wife and three kids. Makes you think!

Also my family were amazing. My mother was the one to find me I terrified her. My brother called the ambulance and the hospital were very kind etc. There was an overly long gap between lunch and tea but the nurses made sure there was an endless supply of orange juice and roses.

The best thing.

It's still here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

waffleman wrote: »
    You never told me this! Who did ye **** the bed beside? lolz

It was a joke you nonce! But if you really have to know, I call her Aphrodite a woman of impeccable taste, class, technique, endurance and skill you call her Mammy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Worst is defo my second colonoscopy. Dehydrated to the point where I was close to organ failure, vomiting bile, etc... I think it permanently damaged my kidneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

It was a joke you nonce! But if you really have to know, I call her Aphrodite a woman of impeccable taste, class, technique, endurance and skill you call her Mammy :P

does sound like somethin you would do for a joke olrite you sicko - ye coulda just told her how you feel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Links234 wrote: »
    but perhaps the weirdest is that I got the Jimmy legs! :eek: Serious, nasty Jimmy legs. Once I hit the bed, it just keeps going. I can be asleep, and have a spasm in a leg that wakes me right up. it's kinda ****ed up

Its not that weird. Its an extremely common sleep disorder.

It wakes me up an average of twice a night. Sleeping pills have no effect, you just wake up in the night in a haze.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_legs_syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Grayson wrote: »
    Now whenever I see someone collecting for Temple St I empty my entire pockets into the buckets.

As do I- spent quite a bit of time there as a 4-5 year old. Massive asthma attacks landed me in the ICU at one point. Don't ever remember feeling scared though as the nurses were living saints who truly cared about every kid that came through the doors.

Best thing my body ever did was recover from those incidents, give blood 11 times (rare blood, so I feel obliged), and never broken any bones in 27 years despite all manner of rough housing as a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

I have had kidney issues. And a seizure earlier this year. As a baby I had whooping cough.

It's still here. It's still doing it's hotness.:)

Advertisement