Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best/worst thing your body has done

Options
  • 11-12-2014 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Just been reading the sleep paralylis thread and got me thinking how your body can do amazing/horrible things and i wanted to share the best and worst ways my body has served me-warning the first example dosnt make for pretty reading....

The worst thing my body has done/has happened my body is this,
    I was badly and suddenly without warning deeply betrayed by somebody extremly close to me. When i discovered this betrayal something very strange happened that i never want to experience again. I felt white hot rage, i got tunnel vision and i attacked the person, violently and visciously. I could not control my anger and was stronger then i ever was. Afterwards i couldnt remember exactly what had happened but had flashes of myself.
    I am not trying to justify myself or violence. I am telling the story of when i lost control of myself. I dont condone violence of any kind. I had a 'nervous breakdown' straight after this event, brought on or triggered by it.

The best thing my body has ever done was enable me to give birth without pain relief. (i am not judging people who have sections, epidurals or whatever they choose/need and i respect/advocate womens choice regarding childbirth) I found the experience extremly empowering and fufilling. It gave me confidence in my body and left me amazed at the age old process and good old mother nature.
    So boardsies what ways did your body serve you well or not.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Constipation and a big dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Best thing my body has ever done is get itself home after a hard night out without any assistance from me whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

My body is a bit.. weird. :o especially when it comes to sleep. I suffer from insomnia, had sleep paralysis as a child, but perhaps the weirdest is that I got the Jimmy legs! :eek: Serious, nasty Jimmy legs. Once I hit the bed, it just keeps going. I can be asleep, and have a spasm in a leg that wakes me right up. it's kinda ****ed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Got me thirty seven years on this planet without ballsing up too much. If I don't start repaying the favour soon there may be repercussions though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Worst -nearly kill me out of the blue
    Best -get me through that and a few other things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

It's gotten me to the half ton without too much bother, very appreciative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Enabled me to run multiple marathons every year. Over 6000 running miles on the clock in about 5 years. No injuries, will keep on truckin' until it is time to pay the piper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The best thing my body/mind ever done was as follows:

18yrs old and went to Munich to work for the summer, arrived that day with 2 friends and went to our pre-arranged accommodation, threw my bag in the room and headed out on the beer with my two friends. We went to the Hoffbrauhaus (sp) and started drinking Mass glasses of beer (they held 2 pints). I was what you'd call a useless drinker, 2 pints and I was pissed as a fart, 3 and is be near unconscious. Anyway I had 5 or 6 mass glasses and have absolutely no recollection of the end of the night but I somehow managed to find my way across the city to my accommodation. No big deal you'd think as my 2 friends brought me but no, I woke up alone (we were all sharing a room) I had no key to get in so someone let me in. The previous evening we travelled by underground to the Hoffbrauhaus but the trains stop at around midnight and it would have been well after that when I left. I didn't havebthe address written down anywhere nor did I know it as one of the others had it. When the two other arrived home later that morning, they told me I was completely fcuked the night before and had gone to the jacks but never came back. They went to look for me but couldn't find me so continued on drinking and went to a club afterwards. To this day I have no idea how I got home that night, it actually seems impossible as I couldn't even have asked for directions and walked as I didn't know the address nor did I know how to walk to the place as we arrived when it was dark and so I couldn't even have picked out landmarks. But my brain somehow managed to look after stupid drunken me and get me home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Multiple pints of Guinness = You can guess the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Best: Ran a marathon. Rode on a wave of adrenalin for about a week after that.
    Or: recovered from an eating disorder. Took a few years but bounced right back like no-one's business. Fair play, body!

Worst: Hands down, the panic attacks. Jesus, the panic attacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I've had a tilted pelvis for a few years without realising it. It has ****ed my back up probably for life. Anyone know a fix for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

wait, twelve posts in and no one has mentioned sex yet? (I'll go with that for best and worst for simplicity)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Schwiiing wrote: »
    I've had a tilted pelvis for a few years without realising it. It has ****ed my back up probably for life. Anyone know a fix for it?
      • Lengthened (weak) hamstrings
      • Lengthened (weak) abdominals
      • Lengthened (weak) glutes
      • Shortened (tight) erector spinae
      • Shortened (tight) hip flexors

What will help is glute bridges every kind of plank exercise and lunges to stretch the glutes plus stop sitting for so long.

Yoga and ballet would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Worst? Tensing up from stress.

Best: walking from Saint Jean Pied de la Port in France to Santiago in Spain this Summer. 790 kms or thereabouts. Didn't take even one bus. My body didn't let me down once.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Pilates would help I reckon. It's great for realignment and strengthening your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Some flat 7up will sort that right out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

jaja321 wrote: »
      Pilates would help I reckon. It's great for realignment and strengthening your back.

So I'm the only one who thought this is a piss take given the username?

Worst would be between getting back spasms and suddenly developing an allergy to the pill. Never had any allergies before so it was kinda scary.

Gongoozler wrote: »
      So I'm the only one who thought this is a piss take given the username?

Worst would be between getting back spasms and suddenly developing an allergy to the pill. Never had any allergies before so it was kinda scary.

This took me a while :D.

But it's a legit complaint. According to a quick google it's muscles in my thighs that have gone tight and they are pulling me forward.

The stretch to fix it though is difficult to get right :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Worst is definitely the horrible leg cramps in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Not sure about the worst, but the best was being able to help save my brother's life by donating my bone marrow to him when he had leukemia. 12 years ago now and he's flying :)

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Worstest: 6 weeks on codeine for spirit-crushing back pain. Couldn't even stand up.

Bestest: Playing soccer. It gives me great joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Worst thing? - Uncontrolable rage at times , runs in the family. Much worst when I was younger but have it under control now and am generally very calm but...it is still there and can get me in trouble at times can be a bit scary, especially around people who don't know me very well.

Best thing? - Uncontrolable rage at times , runs in the family. That somehow increases my very minimal frame and strength to hulk like levels and allows me to lift people twice my size off the ground , got me out a few sticky situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Best: An orgasm so intense I fainted.
      Worst: Waking up from orgasm to find I lost control of my bowels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Best: Got me through major heart surgery as a baby to generally be the picture of good health ever since.

Worst: Appearing to have a high threshold for alcohol. While it has meant I have built up a high enough tolerance level over the years, I just know it's doing more harm than good in the long-run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

My body has attacked me with a severe case of incredibly painful cramping of the calf... FU body!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

BeerWolf wrote: »
      My body has attacked me with a severe case of incredibly painful cramping of the calf... FU body!

That would be drink induced. It is one of the worse things the body than do alright, waking up with a hangover in your head to feel your calfs cramping like stab wounds because you are so dehydrated.

The best thing my body has done for me? Made full use of an extended and unprotected first time session of fun with someone called Elaine in our teenage years, in her house when the rest of her family were on holiday. The body got a pat on the head that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Best:growing a perfectly formed little person
      Worst: Thinking my nervous system is an intruder and getting my immume system to attack it now and then (MS)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Worst: It's a toss up between when I got horrific food poisoning and could barely stand and got really painful shivers, or when I got a tooth ache so bad I couldn't eat or sleep for about a week.

Best: I can walk fairly long distances, sometimes spontaneously, and my feet don't hurt the following day and I generally don't get out of breath. I wasn't so good at it a few years ago, but now my body is pretty dependable.

Worst: Psoriasis, Dyspraxia, Carpet of body hair, my face, my brain, my personality or lack thereof.

Best: Not much.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Best: Growing two people

Worst: My brain not working properly resulting in depression

Advertisement