Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best/worst thing your body has done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Worst: I get woeful bad hiccups on a far too regular basis. Always terrified that they won't stop and I'll be hiccuping for life.

Best: I like how my body can just keep going and going. Cycling from Preston in the North of England down to Falmouth in the far Southwest over the course of one winter's day and night was pretty good. I was pretty surprised that it didn't just pack-in at any point. Arrived at my destination the morning after I set off, took a nap for about an hour in the afternoon and was out dancing in a club til all hours that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Best: An orgasm so intense I fainted.
    Worst: Waking up from orgasm to find I lost control of my bowels.

You never told me this! Who did ye **** the bed beside? lolz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Worst: Periods and food poisoning so bad I passed out on my bathroom floor from lack of fluids and woke up hours later in the e.r. Also Randomly stripping in my sleep when I'm stressed.

Best: Not dying yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Worst was a lung collapse

best was meningitis, whooping cough & pneumonia at once when i was a kid. Any physical body which gets through that with no major side effects is fecking awesome.

Also, I don't get altitude sickness and for some reason insects never bite me. they're little things but you really appreciate them at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Worst: Soul destroyingly painful chronic hideous disease that involves my glands eating me from the inside, gradually tearing it's way out through my skin and totally destroying my life and career.

Best: Nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Best thing my body has ever done - not gotten pregnant.

Worst - that time I went on the drink and woke up in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Schwiiing wrote: »
    I've had a tilted pelvis for a few years without realising it. It has ****ed my back up probably for life. Anyone know a fix for it?

I thought what Gongoozler said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Worst: Getting my balls caught in a mouse trap
    Best: Releasing my balls from the mouse trap

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zyanya

Best - REALLY bad blows and never a broken bone. I sometimes think my bones are made of rubber

Worst - I have keratoconus... other than that... I'm super allergic to peach and when I eat even an accidental bit, I swell up and ennd up feeling like the Olmeca head:

20130612-cabeza-Olmeca.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Worst: Bowels decided to stop working properly and resulting constipation was so bad it took nearly 3 months to clear fully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Best-gestated and birthed two children, and breastfed them afterwards
    Worst-gestated and birthed two children, and breastfed them afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Worst: adult acne. (It gets me so down I just can't think of a best :mad:)

Worst: Nearly died from the very worst strain of meningitis B, I went from a slight headache to critically ill in less than hours and am only still here thanks to the prompt actions of my brother. I remember thinking I was slipping away and wanting to so the pain would stop. A year later I unluckily got another strain of meningitis and was quite ill, but not life threateningly so.

Best: Apart from surviving meningitis, the physical euphoria the human body is capable of is amazing.

^^^ was the second strain related to the first?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Worst: My lung decided to collapse for no apparent reason - spontaneous pneumothorax. It happened to me twice in 6 months. It was awful.

Best: I managed to climax twice with a woman in the space of an hour.

heldel00 wrote: »
    ^^^ was the second strain related to the first?

No, I was just extremely unlucky. :(

Candie wrote: »
    No, I was just extremely unlucky. :(

Unbelievable! You would prob have better odds of winning lotto! Were doctors dumbfounded?

Unbelievable! You would prob have better odds of winning lotto! Were doctors dumbfounded?

The second strain was quite common, but having it after the meng B is unusual but not unheard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bop1977

Best: being a man
    Worst: Man flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Worst: adult acne. (It gets me so down I just can't think of a best :mad:)

I think this is a classic case of the body just being a big giant cnut for no apparent reason. Just because it can.

I suffered with terrible skin for years, despite having a perfectly clean diet and healthy lifestyle and using soap-free oil-free products etc and not doing the things that my peers around me did (who had beautifully clear skin) such as binge drinking and smoking and eating shyte and never exercising.

Took me several years of antibiotics, two courses of accutane and thousands of pounds worth of products and treatments before there was any give with my skin, and even at that - time of the month or forgetting to take my makeup off before bed and BAM, breakouts everywhere.

Adult acne is a fcuking dickhead.
    If it were a person it would be Katie Hopkins.
    Arsehole for the sake of being an arsehole.

• Advertisement

Acne is a terror alright. Thankfully I never had it really bad, but it didn't clear up until I was in my late 20's. As a guy you can't exactly hide it with makeup. Shaving was a nightmare.

Candie wrote: »
    Worst: Nearly died from the very worst strain of meningitis B, I went from a slight headache to critically ill in less than hours and am only still here thanks to the prompt actions of my brother. I remember thinking I was slipping away and wanting to so the pain would stop. A year later I unluckily got another strain of meningitis and was quite ill, but not life threateningly so.

Best: Apart from surviving meningitis, the physical euphoria the human body is capable of is amazing.

I was 4 when I had it. I had whooping cough which was misdiagnosed as tonsillitis. Apparently at the early stages they're similar. So I was taken to the mater where my tonsils were removed.
    Then I developed the meningitis and pneumonia as secondary infections. I was back at home and apparently my mum found me under the bed in a coma. I was rushed to Temple street and the paramedics had to resuscitate me. I spent three months in hospital where I refused to eat anything so I was on IV drips the whole time.

It left me with a little bit of deafness. I needed a few months of speech therapy as a kid. It also means I never lost the accent I had as a kid. We moved to Mullingar when I was 5 and I was the only kid in school without a culchie accent. Even today you'd never guess I grew up in westmeath.

Now whenever I see someone collecting for Temple St I empty my entire pockets into the buckets.

Worst: My lung decided to collapse for no apparent reason - spontaneous pneumothorax. It happened to me twice in 6 months. It was awful.

Best: I managed to climax twice with a woman in the space of an hour.

Tall skinny guy? It's most common with tall skinny guys or people with Marfans syndrome.

When mine collapsed I thought I had really bad indigestion. I have something called a hiatus hernia (my entire family except my mum has one) and I'd been drinking the night before. I'd also eaten left over chinese for breakfast. So I thought I had really, really bad indigestion at first.
    Oh did those doctors laugh at me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

madmaggie wrote: »
    It's gotten me to the half ton without too much bother, very appreciative!
    Is that weight or age?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Worst: Ongoing kidney stones

Best: Remaining healthy and mostly injury-free otherwise!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Best: bounced back from a damaging foot injury when I was a child with only an impressive scar to show for it.

Worst: I get some whacking great doses of tonsillitis. Also managed to get myself a back injury as a teen which still acts up occasionally.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Best, growing 2 minions, I can't get over how I've made a full little person. :) never mind the miracle:rolleyes: of birth. Oh and having a stable fracture in my neck forever.
    Worst: pneumonia 2 years in a row, and my intestines/bowels not having the required amount of perstaltic movement that the next person would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Best: Decided to not bother telling me how f*cked one of my molars was for the last fortnight, would've been in agony otherwise

Worst: I've had some really bad salmonella, tonsils so swollen I was choking on them, coughed up blood on numerous occasions and male pattern baldness, but the winner's probably constant stomach gas; I've felt like I'm on the verges of throwing up for years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Best: Sailing through two pregnancies (apart from morning sickness) and getting me through 3 years of college as a mature-mother of two-burning the candle at both ends- student, and earning great results in the process.

Worst: Being really crap at childbirth! Despite being a very tall woman with 'fine child-bearing hips' my pelvis is apparently not equipped for birthing, so I needed intervention both times. Worse than that was the massive neurological curve ball my body dealt me right after my three years in college, which change everything forever. I have adjusted, but I miss being a 'healthy' person.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    Tall skinny guy? It's most common with tall skinny guys or people with Marfans syndrome.

When mine collapsed I thought I had really bad indigestion. I have something called a hiatus hernia (my entire family except my mum has one) and I'd been drinking the night before. I'd also eaten left over chinese for breakfast. So I thought I had really, really bad indigestion at first.
    Oh did those doctors laugh at me. :)

Not tall no. Mine was caused by sarcoidosis, or more specifically granulomas (clumps of cells) on the lung.

A guy I used to work with is tall and skinny and the same thing happened to him about the same time as me.

Advertisement