Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Laois_Man wrote: »
    The EU have no say whatsoever in what options the UK puts on its ballot paper! .

UK: "Can we have an extension on A50 to have a referendum?"

EU: "That depends, what'll be on the ballot paper?"

UK: "May's deal or No Deal"

EU: "In that case, no. Yer out on March 29th, bye."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

UK: "Can we have an extension on A50 to have a referendum?"

EU: "That depends, what'll be on the ballot paper?"

UK: "May's deal or No Deal"

EU: "In that case, no. Yer out on March 29th, bye."

Except the answer to that question would be " "Remain or May's deal or No Deal"

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

James O'Brien had a great caller from Mayo talking about how important the GFA is.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-obriens-caller-brexit-good-friday-agreement/

Powerful stuff, falling on deaf ears in the UK though.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

joe40 wrote: »
    In a similar vein, I always found it strange that NI, Scotland and wales have devolved parliments, but not England.

The North East region was offered it but rejected it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_North_East_England_devolution_referendum

Ignored by Westminister but happy that way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

bob mcbob wrote: »
    The North East region was offered it but rejected it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_North_East_England_devolution_referendum

Ignored by Westminister but happy that way

The comments at the bottom of the page are far more interesting than the call!

Hilarious stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Keatsian wrote: »
    But if the UK leaves with no deal because the people voted to leave with no deal? Then it becomes very, very difficult for any London government to return to talks in the short to medium term.
    Good point. No where to go if the people say "no deal". No trade agreements possible with anyone if there is never a way back to at least an agreement with the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Why is David Davis still invited on to programmes like Question Time? Caroline Lucas was visibly angry when telling him he was playing fast and loose with people's lives. Blithely saying that leaving without a deal will be fine.

This is the man who thinks there is a transition period with no deal. Why on earth does no one call him out on this absolute bullshit? JLR and other companies have said they will have no choice but to leave the UK if there is no deal. Manufacturing will be utterly decimated.

I honestly don't know how someone in the audience didn't go for him. He is despicable, as is the BBC for indulging his dangerous lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Shelga wrote: »
    Why is David Davis still invited on to programmes like Question Time? Caroline Lucas was visibly angry when telling him he was playing fast and loose with people's lives. Blithely saying that leaving without a deal will be fine.

This is the man who thinks there is a transition period with no deal. Why on earth does no one call him out on this absolute bullshit? JLR and other companies have said they will have no choice but to leave the UK if there is no deal. Manufacturing will be utterly decimated.

I honestly don't know how someone in the audience didn't go for him. He is despicable, as is the BBC for indulging his dangerous lies.

To the intelligent and informed, Davis is proof that Brexit is madness. To the conditioned and brainwashed, he is a British bulldog sticking it to Johnny Foreigner. To be fair, the BBC must also cater for the useful idiots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Shelga wrote: »

The BBC has become the mouthpiece of the establishment which means not criticising the new boss or any future boss which is also why Jeremy Corbyn gets such an easy ride. I'm not sure how much better Channel 4 are either when Barry Gardiner has been repeatedly allowed to spout mistruths about renegotiating with the EU.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

The advantages of having David Davis on is that he appears normal (until he opens his mouth of course).
    Some of the Brexiteers seem human, but some expression or sideways glance or turn of phrase gives them away and then their alien origins are clear.

Nobody can convince me that Jacob Rees Mogg wasn't assembled on some distant planet from a set of "English Toff" blueprints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

It's actually kind of worth watching the full video here https://luxtimes.lu/european-union/35921-brexit-is-your-choice-not-mine-says-bettel

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Came here to post that.

EU are fast running out of patience. Irrespective of what happens May, a different deal WILL NOT be negotiated.

Choice between No Deal/2nd Referendum is all that's left now it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Came here to post that.

EU are fast running out of patience. Irrespective of what happens May, a different deal WILL NOT be negotiated.

Choice between No Deal/2nd Referendum is all that's left now it looks like.

Yet if you look at the Express the headline is
    Luxembourg Prime Minister RAGES about no-deal – 'Brexit was YOUR idea, not mine!

I didn't see much rage there, just pure bemusement!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Do people like Davis genuinely think the EU is going to backtrack at the very last minute? Why would they?

The UK has a hell of a lot more to lose than the EU, in the event of a no deal. What a colossal risk to take, when it's now clear that it's a bluff anyway.

The BBC has become the mouthpiece of the establishment which means not criticising the new boss or any future boss which is also why Jeremy Corbyn gets such an easy ride. I'm not sure how much better Channel 4 are either when Barry Gardiner has been repeatedly allowed to spout mistruths about renegotiating with the EU.

Watching Twitter during QT last night there were posts calling it both Tory propaganda and Remain advertisers.

Think a political media can consider itself as doing a good job when both sides hate them.

Personally, I do feel the personal leanings of their staff seeps through from time to time.

Same could be said of C4 to some degree where most seem to be of the remain persuasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I see TM and Juncker had a bit of a spat at the parliament today. Channel 5 have 'hired' some 'expert lip readers' to work out what was said.

it appears that TM is annoyed that Juncker called her nebulous.

To me, this goes to the very heart of the problem. He called he position nebulous, but even if he did say it about her, she is supposed to be above this playground stuff. She is supposed to be working on getting a renegotiation but appears to be more worried about how she is perceived.

Stop messing about and get on with the real work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yet if you look at the Express the headline is

I didn't see much rage there, just pure bemusement!

I think we have to accept at this stage that the UK will crash out on the 29th, will stay out and move further away.
    The British I know who are educated enough to stop this, simply repeat, "Oh, the politicians will work something out", any time I ask them about their plans.
    The remaining British who are not able to inform themselves, will read the Express headline, never read the full article or watch the full clip, and will remain in cloud cuckoo land.
    I no longer have any hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

josip wrote: »
    I think we have to accept at this stage that the UK will crash out on the 29th, will stay out and move further away.
    The British I know who are educated enough to stop this, simply repeat, "Oh, the politicians will work something out", any time I ask them about their plans.
    The remaining British who are not able to inform themselves, will read the Express headline, never read the full article or watch the full clip, and will remain in cloud cuckoo land.
    I no longer have any hope.

The Express has all the gravitas of the Beano.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I do have a small, sneaky feeling in the back of my mind that at some point in the future, we in Ireland will be in a situation where we are being told we are expected to pay for the support which Ireland was given by Europe at this time.
    I don't think we have really been given support it is just that Ireland's interests to avoid a hard border coincided with the EU's desire to make brexit difficult for the UK. The problem is that making brexit difficult for the UK may have an outcome that Ireland does not want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭briany

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I see TM and Juncker had a bit of a spat at the parliament today. Channel 5 have 'hired' some 'expert lip readers' to work out what was said.

it appears that TM is annoyed that Juncker called her nebulous.

To me, this goes to the very heart of the problem. He called he position nebulous, but even if he did say it about her, she is supposed to be above this playground stuff. She is supposed to be working on getting a renegotiation but appears to be more worried about how she is perceived.

Stop messing about and get on with the real work.

The only bit of real work left, that we know of, is for May to take her deal back to the Commons where it will be shot to bits like a clay pigeon.

What happens after that is anybody's guess.

Will there be a second referendum? Hard to say. It certainly won't be on the current timescale, anyway. I presume that it would need to be OK'd by parliament. Also, somebody mentioned a clause in the Great Repeal act which said the UK would stop observing current EU treaties on 30th March, so if that's true then that would probably need changing, too. Basically, it would potentially require a lot more arguing when there just isn't the time.

Somebody on Question Time mentioned a Citizen's Jury deciding whether to revoke A50. Interesting idea. At least it's a change from the circular arguments going on.

At this point, my money would be on May having no choice but to put the deal to a vote, and when it gets crushed, she'll resign the next day. Some Karl Donitz type figure will lead the UK into a no-deal exit, while the ERG clink champagne glasses in the background.

I don't think we have really been given support it is just that Ireland's interests to avoid a hard border coincided with the EU's desire to make brexit difficult for the UK. The problem is that making brexit difficult for the UK may have an outcome that Ireland does not want.

Username fits the bill.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Yeah because it the EU that is acting like children in the HoC.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,858 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

briany wrote: »

Somebody on Question Time mentioned a Citizen's Jury deciding whether to revoke A50. Interesting idea. At least it's a change from the circular arguments going on.

Caroline Lucas of The Green Party I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Parliament won't allow a Crash out Brexit. May's Deal gets defeated. LB move a no confidence and lose that. Then we move to a situation where a majority of MPs are in favour of a 2nd Ref. That requires an extension to Art 50.
    Main decision is, what is on the ballot paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

As I see it there are only the 3 options left, remain, May's deal and No Deal. The best thing that I can think of for May is to create a 'shit or get off the pot' moment in parliament between those 3 options.

She'd need to be completely up front and obvious ahead of time about what she is doing and that each MP will have to justify their choices to their constituents when she does the following:

Put forward legislation that states something along the lines of 'if there is no agreement between EU & UK by Jan 21st, the UK will withdraw Article 50. The result of this will then be the 'default' option depending on the second proposal.

Put forward her deal for a vote. It'll then be a choice between her deal and whatever parliament chose above.

It would be far from perfect for anyone, but forcing Parliament to actually chose something is about the only thing she can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,128 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The answer to this was and continues to be (and will continue to be) that, if faced with the following choices:

A) A negotiated settlement that compromises SM integrity and the working operation of the GFA

B1) No Deal with a consequent imposition of a Hard Border
    B2) Clear violations of GFA commitments on the part of the UK
    B3) Economic hardships in the UK as a consequence of a disorderly exit

Then we take the second choice. Because it creates a possibility in the short to medium term of recovering the current situation. If we negotiate away the current situation then it is gone forever and, worse, we agreed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

I do have a small, sneaky feeling in the back of my mind that at some point in the future, we in Ireland will be in a situation where we are being told we are expected to pay for the support which Ireland was given by Europe at this time.
    The EU have tried. Short of sending them state aid like a 3rd world country (or intentionally side the trade deal towards the UK like some do in lieu of state aid) they could not be more accommodating. The EU wanted a soft border because well, it is in the interest of EU citizens (Irish) to not have it and it is no skin off the rest of them.

I would agree that the EU will not be with Ireland through everything. Everyone has their own interests in the club. No other country will ever be totally with Ireland through everything. All we, or any other country, can do is make deals with countries whose interests align with your own. That means the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

No deal crash out is the default.

When people claim that the HoC won't allow it, it is only partially in their gift. They would not only need to vote against the no deal, but then vote in something that the EU will accept. Either accept the deal or extend/cancel A50.

There is very little evidence to suggest that HoC is willing to do either or those.

So despite the HoC claiming they won't allow a No Deal, come 30th March that is exactly what will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Water John wrote: »
    Parliament won't allow a Crash out Brexit. May's Deal gets defeated. LB move a no confidence and lose that. Then we move to a situation where a majority of MPs are in favour of a 2nd Ref. That requires an extension to Art 50.
    Main decision is, what is on the ballot paper.
    What is the process for deciding to hold a second referendum?

I presume it would be a parliamentary motion?

Who brings it? Somebody from Labour, presumably? And surely it would have to be accompanied by a simultaneous motion to extend Article 50?

Would it be against Corbyn's wishes?

How many Tories would have to "defect" for such a motion to be approved?

If it's approved, but May or whoever is Prime Minister is personally against it, are they then entirely bound by such a motion/s being passed, ie. would parliament as a whole effectively be "the government", not the government itself?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement