Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Any recommendations for pre test lessons in Midlands?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

goblin59 wrote: »
    unfortunatly I accidentally wiped my satnav the other day when messing about on the settings.
    I had the full test route for there on it from when I did my test.
    Was never asked to turn it off.

Was it similar to what was posted above by LIGHTNING?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

sm3ar wrote: »

I think the few quid for a pretest on the route is money well spent.

There was a really unusual roundabout on mine (different county) that I would have taken the wrong lane into without having been told. I'd continue taking the wrong lane when not being tested from a safety standpoint but that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I think the few quid for a pretest on the route is money well spent.

There was a really unusual roundabout on mine (different county) that I would have taken the wrong lane into without having been told. I'd continue taking the wrong lane when not being tested from a safety standpoint but that's another story.

Couldn’t agree more. Get the pretest. Get two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

no, I think I came out of the park and turned Left.
    They will have two or three routes though to stop lads just telling others where they went.

• Advertisement

no, I think I came out of the park and turned Left.
    They will have two or three routes though to stop lads just telling others where they went.

Do you know anyone you would recommend to do the pre test with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I've been doing lessons with Paul Jenkins who works predominantly in that area

I've been doing lessons with Paul Jenkins who works predominantly in that area

How much his lessons?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

How much his lessons?

Jenkins School of Motoring.

Give him a buzz and I'm sure he'll talk you through options rather than me give incorrect info

Give Dalton Motorcycle training a shout too. I had my two pretests with him and couldn't rate him highly enough. Told me what i was doing right, told me what i was doing wrong, patted my head when he saw I was getting a bit disheartened and also kicked my arse when getting cocky!! A brilliant instructor

• Advertisement

Give Dalton Motorcycle training a shout too. I had my two pretests with him and couldn't rate him highly enough. Told me what i was doing right, told me what i was doing wrong, patted my head when he saw I was getting a bit disheartened and also kicked my arse when getting cocky!! A brilliant instructor

Pretty sure I seen Dalton doing a pretest around the area too when i was going in to do my test.
    He knew the testers as well, which is always a plus.

Pretty sure I seen Dalton doing a pretest around the area too when i was going in to do my test.
    He knew the testers as well, which is always a plus.

What part of Dublin is Eric’s yard/bikes?

Thanks

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    What part of Dublin is Eric’s yard/bikes?

Thanks

Havn't a clue.
    Just seen him out at the centre when i was there.

I did my IBT with Christy out in ISM swords and then did my test 6 months later with no additional lessons / pretest.

I practiced a lot of the things they test on though out around phoenix park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Getting very frustrated, trying to book my theory test for over a month... Website says online booking would open today, but it hasn't.

Bike is sitting in front of the house but can't insure it without a license...

... so after an hour on the phone, I was offered a test on October 20th...

It's a bunch of clowns that run the testing... Why should people respect the licensing laws if they are shown so little respect. I was basically told that they've done nothing to speed up the process and that I just have to put up with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Bluefoam were you asking to take the place of someone who's cancelled theirs?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    ... so after an hour on the phone, I was offered a test on October 20th...

It's a bunch of clowns that run the testing... Why should people respect the licensing laws if they are shown so little respect. I was basically told that they've done nothing to speed up the process and that I just have to put up with it...

Are you an essential worker?

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Are you an essential worker?

I am considered an essential worker apparently... Not in health services, but ibdo enable other to run their businesses, so I have a letter for travel... should I ring them back and ask for an essential services slot?

Bluefoam were you asking to take the place of someone who's cancelled theirs?

I did ask that. There is no cancellation list. You have to go online and check each day to see if someone has cancelled. But the online booking isn't working, so can't do that.

Where do people generally keep their toll tag when driving. I don't have a windscreen myself. Would it pick it up if was in your pocket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Where do people generally keep their toll tag when driving. I don't have a windscreen myself. Would it pick it up if was in your pocket?

I keep mine in my car :pac:

Pocket. Tested on the M4 both ways at Enfield. Works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Not sure it will pick your toll tag up when you're squeezing through the truck gates on the left. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

In terms of gear for a new biker, I have clothes, gloves, boots, helmet, chain/wall anchor, cover.

Any recommendations for other equipment? Anything I'm missing out on that I haven't considered?

Tools? Disc lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

In terms of gear for a new biker, I have clothes, gloves, boots, helmet, chain/wall anchor, cover.

Any recommendations for other equipment? Anything I'm missing out on that I haven't considered?

Tools? Disc lock?
    Ear plugs

Tools? Disc lock?

Bike.

Tools? Disc lock?

I just bought a tool roll... Bought some nice tools on Amazon, then replaced the existing ones in the toolbox and put the old ones into the tool roll and into the bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Tools? Disc lock?

Disc locks are handy
    By clothes do ya mean jacket and pants?
    I'm not atgatt but I'd never leave without a jacket of some kind.
    Decent heavy chain, and the bike style rubber tube locks together, won't stop then but will take them a minute.
    Basic socket and screwdriver set.
    Have chain oil and lube/wax on hand.
    Bit of wd40 laying around never hurts haha.
    Bluetooth headset for maps, music, calls.
    Some form of decent phone mount.

Tools? Disc lock?

Rainproofs, a balaclava or neck wrap, tank bag is handy, first aid kit, a bungee cord or net (you can upgrade to Rok Straps in time).

And as said above make sure your clothes are proper bike wear. Not jeans and work boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Rainproofs, a balaclava or neck wrap, tank bag is handy, first aid kit, a bungee cord or net (you can upgrade to Rok Straps in time).

And as said above make sure your clothes are proper bike wear. Not jeans and work boots.

Don't use cheap, cheap bungees I've melted through a ton of them from heat and no friction

Advertisement