Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake watch busters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Horoaddict

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Tag looks fine but it needs a bath and polish
    How much is it out of curiosity

Going to do a swap for the vintage Breitling I have and 300 cash. Will be getting it verified at a jewellers first though as he doesn't have any box or papers.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Homer

The age old adage applies.. but the seller as much as the watch! They should be able to tell you when (roughly) they bought it, where they bought it and how much they paid, etc etc

If you get the “it was a present” and “we lost the box when moving house” lines it’s usually either fake or nicked :D

Looks in poor condition from the photos. Dawson Jewellers is your safest bet for a valuation. No night street jeweller will be able to authenticate it while standing at a counter giving it a visual once over. Needs a watchmaker or service person to inspect properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Horoaddict

Do you know the jewellers ? Keanes in cork told a friend of mine to basicly bugger off when he asked to get an omega seamaster verified
    I can’t spot anything wrong witb it from the pics you have provided anyway, it’s worth getting it cleaned polished somewhere though

That's my thought's anyway, Fast Fix have said they can authenticate, I know they're not an AD.

Preference would be to go to Fields or a Tag AD and have them verify but i would assume a similar response that Keanes gave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭893bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

893bet wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/16977248

https://www.adverts.ie/16331943

Sellers annoy me! How can you trust other items he has for sale then?

I’d say an awful lot of fake glasses, handbags and clothes are bought sold unknowingly on adverts.
    and facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Oh dear.
    Why do they always think a fake tourbillon will add to the authenticity?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

because this thread is pointless without pictures, behold this terrible fake

Aaaaaand gone. Nasty looking thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Eoin wrote: »
    because this thread is pointless without pictures, behold this terrible fake

Thank you for point of view and picture.

I think there’s just two people who point out the fakes and one who lets us know he’s removed them. Why don’t you three just set up a private whatsapp group?

shutup wrote: »

I think there’s just two people who point out the fakes and one who lets us know he’s removed them. Why don’t you three just set up a private whatsapp group?

Boo hoo

• Advertisement

Why don’t you go have a whinge somewhere else? Least they are making a positive contribution to the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Its a good resource for learning how to spot fakes and messers, and lets face it, Adverts has its fair share of both.

If I recall he has whined about it before (or maybe it was someone else).

I am too lazy check who it was, same as I am too lazy post pics.

My aim is to ensure fake piece are removed from adverts, especially ones that are presented as real. I see 99% of fakes on adverts as I have 20 odd searches set up and notifications etc. If you really are interested, do similar.

Homer wrote: »
    Why don’t you go have a whinge somewhere else? Least they are making a positive contribution to the forum.

It would be more beneficial to post the photos so we could all see what and who to avoid. Your little threeway does nothing to help all the other users who don’t get the bat call the moment a fake is posted.
    My complaint wasn’t about you. If you took a moment to figure out why Eoin and myself feel there should be photos instead of taking offence and making a petty post about me having a whinge, the forum as a whole would be in a better and more educated place.

Sometimes perm pictures are posted. Sometimes they are not.

My batman advice would be I to try to move on with your life in either event.

funkyouup wrote: »
    Its a good resource for learning how to spot fakes and messers, and lets face it, Adverts has its fair share of both.

Exactly my point. We would all learn more if we could see the photos.
    We would also see who posted the fakes and know to avoid in the future.

A thread with the fake examples would be cool.

I don’t know why you and your betfriend are so offended and aggressive.
    We are all on the same page regarding you warning us of fakes and getting them removed.
    Can you not agree it would be more beneficial for us to see the fakes? Or do you have to be hostile and disagree with everything I say just because you have wrongly taken offence to my suggestions.

Can you not agree it would be more beneficial for us to see the fakes? .

It may be more beneficial for everyone else I would agree.

Also the below applies for me.

893bet wrote: »
    I am too lazy check who it was, same as I am too lazy post pics.

And I don’t think anyone is being aggressive. Dismissive and a little sarcastic perhaps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ehh, no need for strife guys, we're kinda all on the same page here: Trying and succeeding in nuking fakers from space, and long may it continue.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

I think if you just want a fake advert taken down then report it through adverts it's just as quick.

Sure not everyone wants to post a pic but at least give the sellers name to go with the link so we know who to avoid otherwise it's a pointless exercise. Honestly I gave up clicking the links long ago because there was nothing to see after I clicked them. No way of knowing who was even posting the fakes.

This is a forum first so we should all be out to give each other a heads up if we feel there is something up with a watch or a suspect seller.

Seller admits it’s fake but people are still willing to bid on this

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283353560471

eBay just took it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Here's a beauty stamped and certified all for the princely sum of €70 ;)

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/rolex-watch/17223180

NmRhNmE1NmNhM2M4ODdhNWU2ZTc3ZTI0ZWZiZGNmNzkObAPqnbDXZJU9r_tXXhJ8aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYTVlMmRhMTJlYzYwZjY5OWExYTY3MzFmMjkxMTJiZjEzNWYyZmQ4ZjE5ODg0NzRjZjA4MWI5NjU1NmZjNTFiYy5qcGd8fHx8fHw5Mng5MnxodHRwOi8vd3d3LmFkdmVydHMuaWUvc3RhdGljL2kvd2F0ZXJtYXJrLnBuZ3x8fA==.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Another from the same listing
    Sweet Jesus that’s terrible, even stevie wonder would spot that fecker

Oh Lord! People have some neck don't they trying to flog them hapes of scrap off as the real deal. That's not even worth €20 like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I'm seriously dubious about this one:
    https://www.adverts.ie/casual/glycine-men-s-chronograph/17220261

Can't find any other Glycine that looks remotely like it.

No serial number or model number on the back.

What do we think?

NzdmOTA1YTdmN2FkZDMxMWM1MzI3YmJmYTFiNmM1MWFur54vHnb7_G5jIOc2IbQNaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYzYxNzhkNzc2MDczNmNhMTg4Y2I3NDY3Y2I4ZDJiNTA4MWY5NjBlNjZjOWY5Y2YzNDdjMGZkYTIxZDJlYTVmNC5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTN4Mjk0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

The funny thing is when you open that link it shows what others that viewed and you get to see a bunch more of fake ****:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The pillow its sitting on is worth more lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

On a side note, I fúcking HATE those tag straps

• Advertisement

https://www.adverts.ie/sports/casio-g-shock-mudmaster-5476/17081110

The mode dial on a real mudmaster is beveled and carved (the arrow is on a raised surface etc). See attached. This one is flat as a pancake (see pic 1/11 and 3/11), which is one reliable way to spot fakes of this model.

"Selling for a friend, not sure if it works":rolleyes:

Advertisement