Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Who’s cutting onions in here

So sorry for your loss Flyer xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

So sorry for your loss flyer29, your post is heartbreaking. I am certain that Sammy felt your love and friendship every day and returned it tenfold. The price of love is loss, sadly...how we wish it could be different.

RIP Sammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Barely a month since my beloved dog, 13, then a beloved cat, aged 14 a cat o my heart. died in my arms within 36 hours.

Still cannot take it in. Cannot walk the lanes here alone

Done the right thing on advice; room here for more rescues so have three and love them dearly

Maybe one day will e able to write of this. I am home 24/7....they are my oonly companions.. day and night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Ahh Graces, thoughts are with you & may all the other creatures, great & small, be there to comfort you. ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Graces7 wrote: »
    Barely a month since my beloved dog, 13, then a beloved cat, aged 14 a cat o my heart. died in my arms within 36 hours.

Still cannot take it in. Cannot walk the lanes here alone

Done the right thing on advice; room here for more rescues so have three and love them dearly

Maybe one day will e able to write of this. I am home 24/7....they are my oonly companions.. day and night

Coming up to 1 year and 11 months since my best friend De Niro had to go asleep. It still really hurts but it is a different type now. It is not as raw and remembering the good times far out number feeling grief. Delighted you have new buddies.

• Advertisement

Thanks.. tears here at the kindness.. was at the old folks lunch club y'day and one old man remembered I was first there the day wee dog had fallen ill,, his face when I told him.... and we all got talking. of how you cannot replace a dog..

Months back, I "made a memory".... we were out and came to where the boreen that led to the old slipway goes down to the shore... Dog stopped, looked at me, asked could she? I said yes and she took off down that lane, ears flying, tail flapping.. epitome of joy and health. She never walked, always ran, safe on the island lanes. So sudden that switching off. Great heart gave out.

I know I have to grieve, but too sore with everything else now.

Two of the family next door came to dig her grave. An utter kindness and strength. There will be flowers there. As the ground was still soft when Beata died, I managed to bury her.

There will never be a dog like Scallywag, or a cat like Beata.

But these needy ones are their own selves. Delighting, in their own ways.

Blessings and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

So sorry to hear that Grace xxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

So sorry for your loss. It always hurts so much when we have to say good-bye to our beloved furries. May the good memories overshadow the hurt and loss.
    Blessed be.

Autosport wrote: »
    So sorry to hear that Grace xxxxx

thanks; i was so shocked at the double loss i went offline for days.

Just brought the dog's bed in and refurnished it for the kittens.Had banished it outside,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Grace, I'm so sorry for your double loss.
    Your words clearly state that the bond between you all was the greatest. And because it was so great and strong, it will never be broken. Nobody will ever take your memories from you.
    Your furry friends will be next to you, always, even when you don't see or feel them.

Take care of yourself, Scallywag and Beata wouldn't like to see you waste or be sad.
    Remember them when they were healthy and young, honour their names by telling others how wonderful they were.
    And be proud of yourself for what you were and have done for them.

• Advertisement

Grace, I'm so sorry for your double loss.
    Your words clearly state that the bond between you all was the greatest. And because it was so great and strong, it will never be broken. Nobody will ever take your memories from you.
    Your furry friends will be next to you, always, even when you don't see or feel them.

Take care of yourself, Scallywag and Beata wouldn't like to see you waste or be sad.
    Remember them when they were healthy and young, honour their names by telling others how wonderful they were.
    And be proud of yourself for what you were and have done for them.

Thanks for this. I have always loved critters and they are with me 24 7..

Still the flowers I planted on the grave bloom. a marigold and a pot of heather,,

Had stilll not been able to go for a walk, but am doing an Advent Wreath for the little rarely used church I care fr her and needed evergreen.

Along one of wee dog';s favourite lanes,,, and it just seemed so darned unfair as she loved life so much. She would have revelled in it...She was half bassett so a scent hound and into every bush .....

So I talked to her...

Blessings and thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Our little lady Madonna aka Bábóg aka Mammy aka Puss Puss left us this evening. She was with us for exactly nine years and up to a few months ago, we thought we'd have her for a few more years at least, so it's a real blow.

She was adopted by my brother back in November 2009 (or rather she adopted him) and was a joyful presence ever since. We were a bit slow about neutering her and within a few months she had provided us with a litter of beautiful little kittens. :pac: Then we had to get her and all the kitttens neutered. That's her underneath her daughter Caramel, who thankfully is still with us, in the first photo.

To say she was loved is an understatement. She was the gentlest, warmest, most loving little creature you could think of, an absolute sweetheart. She'd follow me down the street, wait on the pillar at the front of the house, and then scamper down the street to welcome me home as walked home.

She was also very perky and sociable with passers by, who would regularly stop to pet her - especially our postman, who loved her.

Sadly back in September her hind legs started drooping. I first noticed something was wrong when I saw her trying to get down off a windowsill hind legs first, hanging onto the windowsill.

Over the next week or so her condition declined considerably - the middle of her back was drooping badly, and eventually she couldn't walk at all on her hind legs and was having trouble going to the toilet.

We thought of a few things - saddle thrombus, feline leukaemia, diabetes etc., but it was none of those things.

Not having pet insurance (you live and learn), the monetary cost of any possible treatment was daunting.

Bábóg then went into Barna Vets for a week, where she received excellent care. Leanne conducted blood tests on her and it became apparent that she was suffering from lymphoma, likely in or around the spine. Her glands on her neck had swollen up also.

At that point we were told the outlook was not good. We were offered the option of putting her to sleep, but in our visits to her while she was in Barna, she regained her strength somewhat after several days of intravenous fluids, and was still full of life and love. We decided that we had to give her a chance, and took up the option of going to UCD for a full examination.

Living in Galway (despite my obviously Dublin-centric user name), we had to collect her in Barna and drive up the motorway to Dublin with her. I was nervous of this, as her hind legs were still limp, but she was as good as gold on the journey up.

Pedro examined her and he was able to tell us straight up that the prognosis was not good, but that chemotherapy was an option - it might extend her life for a two or three months. Bábóg stayed in UCD for three days at the start of October, for chemo, before we drove back up to collect her and bring her back to the house, after 11 days away in all.

Pedro had said that she'd be able to regain some movement in her legs, but not full movement, and immediately we saw an improvement.

There was another day trip back to UCD the following Wednesday, and within a day or two of that she was walking quite freely. It felt like a miracle. She was back jumping up onto windowsills and beds and easily walking up the stairs.

After one more trip to UCD, we transferred the treatment to the Ark back down in Galway for convenience sake. During all that time Bábóg was in great form and we really appreciated the extra time with her. We knew it was in effect bonus time, but it was amazing to see her scampering around and wrestling on the ground with Caramel again.

Sadly about 10 days ago we noticed her back drooping again. Only last Wednesday she went in for her last regualr chemo session, but by Friday we had to take her back to the Ark and they told us it was pointless continuing the treatment.

Still, all duriing this time, she was comfortable and had a good quality of life, and continued to eat well. During the weekend however it became a mattter of when, not if. Her hind legs rapidly lost mobility and we knew the end was near. And still she was incredibly affectionate, lapping up the cuddles and licking me silly on the face and hair up to yesterday. :D

Last night and this morning she couldn't go to the toilet. We tried in vain to express her bladder, but her belly had become swollen and this evening she began to suffer. At that point we had to make the horrible decision to put her to sleep back in Barna. Even on her last journey there was still so much life in her head, she was looking up at the street lights as she travelled in the car, but her body had given up on her.

She will be immensely missed. Despite the considerable cost of all her treatment since September (well over 2k, probably closer to 3k) I'm so glad we gave her some extra time with us and to appreciate her fully.

Thanks to all the staff at Barna, UCD and Ark who were always very professional and empathetic.

d78e1c9d29d0644d433c1157db3d80f859311d2e_1_690x413.png

47398323_10161155404290593_5268753905193320448_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=8cd6bb2d09c9787d07e0f49f4bfca36c&oe=5C9FCC37

Ah god she was a beautiful little thing and so obviously very loved. I'm so sorry Hill16bhoy. She was lucky to be so well looked after right up to the end.

Rest easy Bábóg.

Sorry for your loss hill16bhoy.

What a lovely tribute to your gorgeous cat, clearly much loved and cared for. As hard as this is for you now, you did right by her when she needed you most, gave her a fighting chance and then let her go when she began suffering. I think it’s what we all hope we can do for our pets, to put their needs over our own wish to hold on to them for a bit longer.

RIP, Madonna.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm so sorry.

The immense love from your post though, wow. She had a wonderful life, I'm all choked up here..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Had to put my Newfie down today.
    She`d been battling cancer for almost a year now.
    Finally lost that battle today and it had spread to her lungs.

RIP Bailey..
    The best dog Ive ever owned.
    The most gentlest giant ever.

Going to put this here because I love this poem. And its a tribute to any dog anyone has ever had to let go.

You Did Me a Kindness
    When my legs grew too weak to carry me,
    And my tired eyes could no longer see,
    When it pained me to struggle for each new breath,
    When my heart beat weaker, and I drew closer to death,
    You did me the kindness of letting me go.
    You didn't make me hang on when I was suffering so.
    I promise I don't think that you loved me any less,
    And I love you all the more for your selflessness.
    You freed my spirit from its body so wracked with pain,
    And let me run the fields of Heaven, where I'm sure we'll meet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

So sorry for your loss Hellrazer. Sleep tight Bailey x

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

So sorry to hear about Bailey, my heart goes out to you, RIP Bailey ..x

I'm sorry for the loss of your Bailey, sure she was a great friend and brave warrior against the evil disease.
    RIP Bailey, you will remembered by many!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

4 years today. Almost exactly at this time of day actually,
    It really does get easier as time goes on. The happy memories begin to shine through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

It's just over a year now since I had to let Bailey go to sleep; some of you might remember how torn I was about whether to let her go or try to hold on a little longer. I was completely heartbroken and felt so guilty for letting her go and for not realising how sick she was until it was too late. Honestly, I cried for months and still do occasionally but now they are more happy tears when I remember something stupid she used to do. Most of all I'm so so grateful that I let her go quickly and I wanted to say a big thank you to all of you who helped me make the right decision. It comforts me now that she knew I loved her enough to do that for her. Don't think I'll ever love anyone or anything the way I loved her.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

The vet is coming over this evening to put my dog to sleep. She’s only 6 but nothing can be done. Our whole house is in up in a heap. We feel so cheated by life. I don’t know how we’ll get through this. The pain is unbearable.

Eimee90 wrote: »
    The vet is coming over this evening to put my dog to sleep. She’s only 6 but nothing can be done. Our whole house is in up in a heap. We feel so cheated by life. I don’t know how we’ll get through this. The pain is unbearable.

The pain is unbearable, yes, it is true.
    You don't know how you'll get through this, yes, it might be true.
    But you'll make it, you have friends, at least here, we are here to support you and whenever you need to vent or a shoulder to cry on, we're here.

When two years ago my cat died, and the vet came over to help her to pass, I was absolutely sure I would have died the next minute.
    I didn't, the pain was immense, but I made it.

Your furry friend will help you carry the burden, he will keep following your steps even when you don't know it.

RIP faithful friend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

The pain is unbearable, yes, it is true.
    You don't know how you'll get through this, yes, it might be true.
    But you'll make it, you have friends, at least here, we are here to support you and whenever you need to vent or a shoulder to cry on, we're here.

When two years ago my cat died, and the vet came over to help her to pass, I was absolutely sure I would have died the next minute.
    I didn't, the pain was immense, but I made it.

Your furry friend will help you carry the burden, he will keep following your steps even when you don't know it.

RIP faithful friend :(

Thank you, yesterday was one of the hardest moments of my life. What I couldn't believe was how fast it was , once the injection was given. They were gone in seconds. It was incredibly peaceful despite the pain we now all feel. The hardest thing to deal with is how short our time was. We should have had another good 6 years with them, but I guess it wasn't to be.

Eimee90 wrote: »
    Thank you, yesterday was one of the hardest moments of my life. What I couldn't believe was how fast it was , once the injection was given. They were gone in seconds. It was incredibly peaceful despite the pain we now all feel. The hardest thing to deal with is how short our time was. We should have had another good 6 years with them, but I guess it wasn't to be.

It's fast, it's true, and one would like to scream "please undo it", but I think the faster the better. For them, I mean...

The time we are allowed along with our friends is always too little, too short. But someone has said that our furry friends live too short because this way we have the chance to save and love more of them.

Sorry for your loss Eimee90, especially in those circumstances :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,417 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you have the disposition to see the funny side of the dark side of having to put a pet to sleep, check out this thread - dark, but quite funny.

https://twitter.com/crankyoulwan/status/1096535319409815552

• Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Unfortunately, we had to say goodbye to Bruno, our French Bulldog, on Saturday. He was a month short of his tenth birthday.

I was something of a step-father to him as he was my fiancee's dog originally and he was four when I met him and he was seven by the time I moved in with my fiancee and he came along.

I adored him. He was always cheerful and full of life. He'd come running to me when I got home from work and would wander up to me when I was doing stuff and he'd start demanding attention. Every night, he'd come up to my side of the bed and look at me with his big eyes begging me to let him sleep in the bed with us. His mannerisms were hilarious, even the way he snored made me laugh. He was also pretty cheeky but I let him away with a lot because of his cuteness.

Unfortunately, like a lot of French Bulldogs, he had a lot of problems with his hips and his legs started to go two years ago. He started dragging them around behind him and couldn't stand up properly. We built him a doggy cart so we were able to walk him and he did pretty well and seemed to be holding up well. He had a check up in December and the vet said he was doing great, apart from his legs.

About a month ago, we noticed that he wasn't moving as much. We took him to the vet and he had a hernia in his neck which was limiting his mobility in his right front paw, meaning that he had three legs that weren't working. From there, he went downhill fairly quickly and I was back and forth from the vets with him, with the news getting worse every time so on Thursday we had to take the decision to let him rest in peace which happened on Saturday morning. We were with him to the end and afterwards we buried him in a plot of land my fiancee's family have.

We were lucky that he had lived a long life and he was very affectionate. The odd time he caused problems, he pulled it off with smiles and it was hard to stay mad at him. We were also lucky that we had the chance to say goodbye to him as we knew what was coming. I still miss him terribly and it will take some time to adjust but I am happy that he's in a better place. His last few weeks were pretty painful to watch.

¡Hasta luego, Brunito!

I'm struggling to find a way to upload a photo. I'll try again later.

So sorry for your loss.

RIP Bruno.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Sorry HJ, it's terribly hard, mind yourself, be good to yourselves

Advertisement