Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
26-08-2014, 12:53   #46
SteelyDanJalapeno
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,972
"You can also cast any of your tabs in Chrome to your TV, letting you enjoy sites, photos, or even video from the best screen in your home. Note that this feature is still in beta, and requires a fast computer and Wi-Fi network."

I will be purchasing Chromecast later for this
SteelyDanJalapeno is offline  
Advertisement
26-08-2014, 13:29   #47
gerrybbadd
Registered User
 
gerrybbadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltedBrain View Post
"You can also cast any of your tabs in Chrome to your TV, letting you enjoy sites, photos, or even video from the best screen in your home. Note that this feature is still in beta, and requires a fast computer and Wi-Fi network."

I will be purchasing Chromecast later for this
It is a bit hit and miss currently. My laptop is reasonably fast (4gb ram), and the cast tab feature is far from the smooth experience that casting from a phone or tablet is.

However, it being Beta and all, this is bound to improve in time
gerrybbadd is offline  
26-08-2014, 14:20   #48
SteelyDanJalapeno
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrybbadd View Post
It is a bit hit and miss currently. My laptop is reasonably fast (4gb ram), and the cast tab feature is far from the smooth experience that casting from a phone or tablet is.

However, it being Beta and all, this is bound to improve in time
Thanks, I'd have a pretty powerful laptop, I7, 8 GB ram so I'd hope I'd have no problems in that regard.

Hopefully any issues will be sorted past beta versions
SteelyDanJalapeno is offline  
26-08-2014, 16:57   #49
Ludo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,214
I have chromecasts on 3 tvs in my house now. Those in conjunction with Plex means I can now watch/listen to all of my media anywhere I want to and control it all from my phone...bloody brilliant.
Ludo is offline  
26-08-2014, 17:03   #50
BionicRasher
Registered User
 
BionicRasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
I have chromecasts on 3 tvs in my house now. Those in conjunction with Plex means I can now watch/listen to all of my media anywhere I want to and control it all from my phone...bloody brilliant.
Can you expand on how to set these up to play music/movies from a central location (such as NAS) or have you some other type of set up? If I could play files from a NAS to one of these it would be great
BionicRasher is offline  
Advertisement
26-08-2014, 17:12   #51
Ludo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicRasher View Post
Can you expand on how to set these up to play music/movies from a central location (such as NAS) or have you some other type of set up? If I could play files from a NAS to one of these it would be great
Well I just store everything on a laptop (big enough hard drive for now) and it acts as the plex media server. I don't have a NAS but list of Plex supported ones here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...jdj3tmMPc/edit

I can play from the laptop itself via a web browser or the Plex app on android devices also connects to this server and can play on the device itself or cast it to any chromecast it sees It was trivial to set up to be honest and I got the app for 50p in a sale on amazon (3 quid normally).

Only minor issue is having to have the laptop on but that is really minor as it is on nearly all the time anyway. The kids (6 years old) are even using it now to watch their cartoons on instead of the media player I used to use. The interface very nice looking yet simple to use.

It was very cheap to set up with one chromecast initially and see if it is worthwhile. I was considering getting a new media player at the time and chanced this instead...very happy with it obviously as I got 2 more chromecasts and the old media player hasnt been switched on since.
Ludo is offline  
26-08-2014, 17:23   #52
BionicRasher
Registered User
 
BionicRasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
Well I just store everything on a laptop (big enough hard drive for now) and it acts as the plex media server. I don't have a NAS but list of Plex supported ones here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...jdj3tmMPc/edit

I can play from the laptop itself via a web browser or the Plex app on android devices also connects to this server and can play on the device itself or cast it to any chromecast it sees It was trivial to set up to be honest and I got the app for 50p in a sale on amazon (3 quid normally).

Only minor issue is having to have the laptop on but that is really minor as it is on nearly all the time anyway. The kids (6 years old) are even using it now to watch their cartoons on instead of the media player I used to use. The interface very nice looking yet simple to use.

It was very cheap to set up with one chromecast initially and see if it is worthwhile. I was considering getting a new media player at the time and chanced this instead...very happy with it obviously as I got 2 more chromecasts and the old media player hasnt been switched on since.
OK thanks
So from what I gather the ideal set up may be as follows

Dedicated tablet (cheapo tab would do) with Plex app installed
Chromecast in the TV
Plex installed on a NAS (or a PC/Laptop etc)

Tablet will see the media stored on the Plex server and you can then cast from the tablet to the TV

Of course you could exclude the tablet if you just want to use your phone etc but I dont allow the kids to have my phone and they dont have their own yet
BionicRasher is offline  
26-08-2014, 17:28   #53
Ludo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,214
Yep....that is exactly what I have. Tis very simple. Tablet and phone both have the app...like you say, kids use the tablet rather than the phone.
Ludo is offline  
26-08-2014, 17:29   #54
dregin
Moderator
 
dregin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,125
Mod: Punk, ZTest
Send a message via MSN to dregin
You cast from the media server to the TV. Not the tablet.
dregin is offline  
Advertisement
26-08-2014, 17:48   #55
Ludo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dregin View Post
You cast from the media server to the TV. Not the tablet.
You can "cast" the media on the pc to the tablet if you want from the phone.

i.e.
movie sitting on pc hard drive which is the plex media server. Use the phone to browse your plex library from the pc...from the phone cast it to the tablet so it actually plays there. Not sure why you would want to do it but you can if you want to so it is not just to the tv.

One thin you dont appear to be able to do it cast from the laptop directly to the phone or tablet...they dont appear as players on the laptop. or vice versa. The phone and tablet can see each other as valid players to cast to as well as the tv.
Ludo is offline  
26-08-2014, 19:15   #56
blocparty
Registered User
 
blocparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 443
has anyone here built an app for the Chromecast or investigated the SDK?

Would be interested to know as I would love to develop something for it and am wondering how different building an Android and Chromecast app are

FYI im not building an illegal app
blocparty is offline  
26-08-2014, 20:38   #57
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 27,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidman123 View Post
Yes you can,but you must be on chrome browser and get the cast extension.it works perfectly.
I think he may mean he wants the Chromecast to act as a second monitor as in a dual monitor setup, as opposed to just mirroring what's on one screen.
ThisRegard is offline  
26-08-2014, 20:50   #58
BionicRasher
Registered User
 
BionicRasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by dregin View Post
You cast from the media server to the TV. Not the tablet.
You need an intermediary I would assume. The tablet is the media browser / remote control.

You have movies on a nas and the chromecast can't see that directly (or can it? Correct me if I'm wrong)
So you need plex to serve the movie to the tablet and from there you cast the movie to the chromecast.
BionicRasher is offline  
26-08-2014, 21:09   #59
dahat
Registered User
 
dahat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,095
Does the Chromecast have to be unused to be rooted?
dahat is offline  
26-08-2014, 21:11   #60
Ludo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicRasher View Post
You need an intermediary I would assume. The tablet is the media browser / remote control.

You have movies on a nas and the chromecast can't see that directly (or can it? Correct me if I'm wrong)
So you need plex to serve the movie to the tablet and from there you cast the movie to the chromecast.
The chromecast can see the NAS directly (in a way). In your scenario above once the movie starts playing on the chromecast, you can turn off the tablet...the chromecast is effectively streaming directly from the pc/nas. The tablet is now only a remote control in that scenario to set up the stream between the server and whatever player is showing it (be it a chromecast or another android device).
Ludo is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet