Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Saturday build up thread

Comments

I presume Wales have probably had the sprinklers on from the second that letter was received and won't turn them off until around 1 minute before kick off so.

Gatland is standing in a fine mist chuckling away to himself as a type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

What is the rationale that a wet pitch favours Wales more than us?

I think this is Joe's version of mind games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

troyzer wrote: »
    Better find my raincoat.

Some of our gang already there, said rotten weather wise but already heaving with lots of Irish. Can’t wait to join them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, its just to p1ss all over Gatland, literally, for no other reason.

In all seriousness, if the pitch is going to be watered anyway, and the heat and humidity adds to the fatigue of the players, you might as well have the roof open and contend with the wet ball anyway albeit in fresh cool air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

Must say, I'm worried for Ireland in this one. Just think we don't have the form/invention to overcome the Welsh defence (which is always pretty epic against us).

And I also expect Wales to seriously turn up on the day, as BOD said on off the ball earlier this week, no Wales player will play less than a 7/10 so we'll need to be at 8+ across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

From another thread saw a post saying Schmidt was critical of the way the pitch was very wet last time with the roof closed so the inference was that the Welsh purposely let the sprinklers on extra-long to wet the pitch and they prepared to play a tactical game for a wet pitch, whereas Ireland had prepared expecting a dry pitch knowing the roof would be closed.
    Therefore, Schmidt was probably still a bit pissed off by that experience and hence why he said earlier in the week that he would prefer the roof closed but then actually refused the request to close it later on as a bit of mind games back at the Welsh.
    He doesn’t trust them.
    Hopefully it wasted some of their time if they were planning to do simething like that again.
    At least now both teams will be prepared for a wet pitch.
    It’s a shame that it couldn’t be played under a closed roof though, assuming the pitch wouldn’t be tampered with, as there should be more passing if no wind or rain.

Here’s a very interesting quote from Schmidt saying exactly that.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.balls.ie/amp/rugby/joe-schmidt-roof-closed-wales-ireland-six-nations-roof-closed-407436

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think this is Joe's version of mind games.

Well we play a possession game, slippy ball might make it into a territorial game. Wales best weapon is their defense, they might be better without the ball on a wet day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Anyone hazard a guess at who the French goal kicker will be tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

pc7 wrote: »
    Some of our gang already there, said rotten weather wise but already heaving with lots of Irish. Can’t wait to join them!

Yep, there's a sea of green since this morning over here. Weather is absolutely abysmal though and it's not looking much better for tomorrow. Bring the rain gear!

Lots of confident Irish fans here and lots of slightly less but still confident Welsh fans from my increasingly tipsier conversations through the day. Atmosphere already in good stead with the U20s game this evening (shame it was on in northernmost Wales though) so hopefully the good vibes will roll into Saturday.

Here's to a crackin' match tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

After my Rosslare to Fishguard train was cancelled- delighted to be in Holyhead now waiting on the train to South Wales!

Come on Ireland! We can do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭mattser

Ireland will roll over to deny England the championship. Just watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

A Welsh GrandSlam would hurt more than an English championship win.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

lbc2019 wrote: »
    After my Rosslare to Fishguard train was cancelled- delighted to be in Holyhead now waiting on the train to South Wales!

Come on Ireland! We can do this!

Hope you got a bit of sleep!

Hope you got a bit of sleep!

Slept on the boat, slept on the train til a couple woke me complaining I was in their seat! No reservations displayed

Fcuk Warren Gatland And Fcuk Wales- didnt vote for us in World Cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if Ireland were to deny Wales the championship in front of a loud partisan crowd ..would it go down as the best win ever? even bigger than beating the all blacks??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

fryup wrote: »
    if Ireland were to deny Wales the championship in front of a loud partisan crowd ..would it go down as the best win ever? even bigger than beating the all blacks??

Absolutely not

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »

No, not a chance.

Today is about Ireland getting a great win and showing their ability on the road, whoever wins the championship (if its not Ireland) is secondary.

Anyone who wishes for a Welsh win just to deny England the championship needs their head checked.

Support your team. COYBIG!

If we win this I feel this will set a mark for QF/SF at the World Cup, this will be a great test for similar set up. Big one off game, get up for it, win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

In Cardiff and have already have 6 pints this morning and nearly left my credit card behind. Already a success today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Anyone who wishes for a Welsh win just to deny England the championship needs their head checked.

Support your team. COYBIG!

Are there actually Irish fans who would hope for this? :eek:

Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It matters if you know what the conditions will be and you can specifically plan for them. A soaking wet pitch has a big impact on the tradeoff in territory/possession. If you know it'll be like that 24 hours in advance its a pretty nifty advantage and I'd say its the type of thing that'd drive Schmidt crazy. That's why they did what they did before, which was shrewd but hardly game breaking.

The rest of the stuff this week isn't even mind games I'd say. It's both teams giving the media a little toy to play with and keep themselves busy, and the usual sorts are falling for it hook, line and sinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

If we win this I feel this will set a mark for QF/SF at the World Cup, this will be a great test for similar set up. Big one off game, get up for it, win!

To be honest I think a workd cup q/f would be easier subject to us having best players available. Beating a strong welsh team in Cardiff going for the grand slam will be mightily difficult. I think we’ll have plenty possession but like 2 years ago might not be able to do much with it. A good start is vital to settle nerves and quieten the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

In Cardiff and have already have 6 pints this morning and nearly left my credit card behind. Already a success today.

Just put it behind the bar. They'll look after it for you. Thank me later...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Zzippy wrote: »
    Just put it behind the bar. They'll look after it for you. Thank me later...

Safer to do that in the bar rather than the lap dancing club later.

This is bar owner. *Insert name* is fine.

Kind regards,

Gethin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Pity they don’t decide the last round kick off times based on title position.

Wales game should be last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,889 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hope we beat those smung singing red baxtards and Joe finally does everything possible in his six nations managerial career by finally beating Wales in the championship in Cardiff

Very hard game though and I think Wales will get over the line. Going too hurling match at 3pm so have too follow on my phone and watch later. The GAA should be shot for putting a game on the same time

They give ye pints with lids on them here. Welsh are an odd bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If Wales win will they jump Ireland in ranking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭techdiver

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If Wales win will they jump Ireland in ranking?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,211 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Welsh media have gone into overdrive about the roof being left open. Not in the spirit of the game etc. For that reason alone I hope we smash them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Clegg wrote: »
    The Welsh media have gone into overdrive about the roof being left open. Not in the spirit of the game etc. For that reason alone I hope we smash them.

I am sick of the bloody roof....really it should be just left open....evry bloody 6 nations we have the Welsh crying about that f**king roof.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Clegg wrote: »

Why wouldn't you decide to open the roof? The meltdown every two years about it is gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

England 3 tries already. Scotland gonna ship 50 or 60 here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

14 minutes in and all I can think is...

AVLIWsdQFhysffkyOc12GU8xqig=.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,969 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Long day for Ireland...might never end for Scotland 21-0 after 15 mins. Ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jones will want England to go all out for the 80.

Two big tackles from Johnson and Maitland before the inevitable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Long day for Ireland...might never end for Scotland 21-0 after 15 mins. Ouch

don't worry frankie. Scotland are a team with something to prove.:D

don't worry frankie. Scotland are a team with something to prove.:D

Ireland to win by 7. How did that go for you? :P:P

Ireland to win by 7. How did that go for you? :P:P

i know. that's why i never gamble.
    i knew we would not win, but my heart wanted them to.

and as Meat Loaf once said ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

31-0. If england keep going they could hit 3 figures

Gwan Scotland!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Gwan Rambo !

Give that man oxygen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Johnny May just lost a foot race to a front row :pac:

Gwan Scotland!!!

they'll be a dangerous proposition in the 2nd half!
    LOL

• Advertisement
Advertisement