Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Europe does what the US don't.

But 16.7% slower and with borders.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Europe does what the US don't.

But 16.7% slower and with borders.

That's some quality irony there...
    Borders once being an EU problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's some quality irony there...
    Borders once being an EU problem...

Soon to be again by the looks of things :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Soon to be again by the looks of things :eek:

Why yes, I am going to Belfast for pleasure... I'm buying a NTSC Super Nintendo!

Six minutes later....

Why are you looking for it in my large colon?!?

Master of the Universe

Why are you looking for it in my large colon?!?

Only console they'll find up there is a 3DO :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And a CDi but only if you've had a feed of 17 pints the night before and a very dodgy kebab.

Only console they'll find up there is a 3DO :D

A Gameboy Micro at the most, let me tell you!

Master of the Universe

I feel a new general chat thread name coming on:

'General Asscade and Rectum chat: Colonoscopy Edition'

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

If you get an original one don't get a local PAL standard one, get a US NTSC Super Nintendo instead.
    They are faster and, seeing as most games are bought online these days, no trouble to get games for.
    Only issue is they are pug ugly.

No Super Famicom love ?
    Bought a beautiful one a couple of weeks ago for £20. No Yellowing

Master of the Universe

horgan_p wrote: »
    No Super Famicom love ?
    Bought a beautiful one a couple of weeks ago for £20. No Yellowing

Super Famicom ftw, 60hz with those lovely sleek lines!

I'm still on the lookout for a way to widen/replace the cart slot without hacking it up. There's a 3D printing service who've had a replacement part with a wider slot on 'pending' for years. I actually contacted the guy last week who has the design and unfortunately he said it's just too complex at the moment to manufacture, so is on hold indefinitely.

Asked him if he'd sell me his current design but it was a firm 'no' :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Inviere

I think the PAL Snes and SFC clearly win the looks competition. You have to brutalize them though with a widened cart slot, which absolutely ruins the look. The US Snes is em, very different in the looks department, but is universal in terms of carts, they all fit with a tiny internal modification of the plastic tabs. I say go with a PAL one, modded, with an Everdrive, and leave your carts on the shelf :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

SEGA BLAST CITY
    http://rklok.nl/

Wiring : Jamma
    Original screen ,Nanao MS2930, no visible burn
    2 player (repro) panel
    Condition : Overall good, some scratches and paintchips
    Price : 895 euro

1503blast%20(1).jpg

1503blast%20(2).jpg

Master of the Universe

Not a fan of the blast and it's skanger cap marquee, but that's really in nice condition, monitor looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Not a fan of the blast and it's skanger cap marquee, but that's really in nice condition, monitor looks great.

skanger-hat12.jpg

Master of the Universe

Pretty much what I think anytime I see one :D

Hey, you could stick a lcd panel up there and have a marquee that changes with the selected game...
    Or a mirror, so you can admire yourself as you play...
    I don't know, I'm clutching at straws here...
    Oh, a place to keep your straws, before, during and after clutching....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Jack burton

If youre over 6ft a blast city gets pretty uncomfortable iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭geotrig

That's more a case of the size of the stool than anythingas the cp is same height as other Candy's. Iirc cyberlead has a slightly higher cp and better for large people but obviously no good for vert games .They're a nice cab really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Jack burton

geotrig wrote: »
    That's more a case of the size of the stool than anythingas the cp is same height as other Candy's. Iirc cyberlead has a slightly higher cp and better for large people but obviously no good for vert games .They're a nice cab really

Oh yeah I agree. I was just using a stool that bit too high but I just remembered it not being the most comfortable machine even. The cyberlead feels was nicer to me personally.

Sent the chassis off to grant today too, hopefully I'll have good news soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

Look how manky the consoles are in the gallery for this aliexpress page!

Look what I found on AliExpress
    http://s.aliexpress.com/byM3IJnA

Master of the Universe

Nice looking woodgrain Trinitron over on adverts at the moment.

https://www.adverts.ie/other-antiques-collectables/antique-wooden-tv/13881813

Far too expensive but would look lovely with a 2600!

Edit - it s a KV-1330UB.

Nice looking woodgrain Trinitron over on adverts at the moment.

https://www.adverts.ie/other-antiques-collectables/antique-wooden-tv/13881813

Far too expensive but would look lovely with a 2600!

Edit - it s a KV-1330UB.

I'd love it, but at €50, not €150!

I'm so torn, I was just about to convert the 2600 to composite out, and now this!

Master of the Universe

I'd be all over it at €50 too, even just to see what a 70s era Trinitron screen looks like in person.

I'd be all over it at €50 too, even just to see what a 70s era Trinitron screen looks like in person.

Feck it, stuck a bid of €50 in anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

I'd love it, but at €50, not €150!

I'm so torn, I was just about to convert the 2600 to composite out, and now this!

You can't convert

You can't convert

The little pcb I received in the post the other day for just this purpose would suggest that you can.
    Essentially, you are clipping out the RF modulator and taking the video and audio straight from the PCB, through the little adapter and to a pair of phono sockets.
    The same little mod is also going into my Master System and 7800, I'm not so precious about them that I can't see them modified so they'll work on my displays.
    No more RF switcher boxes for me!

Unless I buy that lovely Sony Trini!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

The little pcb I received in the post the other day for just this purpose would suggest that you can.
    Essentially, you are clipping out the RF modulator and taking the video and audio straight from the PCB, through the little adapter and to a pair of phono sockets.
    The same little mod is also going into my Master System and 7800, I'm not so precious about them that I can't see them modified so they'll work on my displays.
    No more RF switcher boxes for me!

Unless I buy that lovely Sony Trini!

Well i meant you can't as it just seems wrong, i hate to modify classic machines modified in any way, but that's just me. Obviously you can do what you wish was just my two pennys worth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Well i meant you can't as it just seems wrong, i hate to modify classic machines modified in any way
    I'd agree with you in some sense like modding just to change the colour of power LEDs, or other pointless mods, but to improve compatibility mods are a must especially with RF becoming obsolete not to mention the signal is piss poor.

• Advertisement

And, if modifying classic consoles isn't ypur thing then don't do it!
    Me, my Atari consoles have had precious little play, so the chance to get them, with ease, onto my CRT displays without the tedious fecking about with tuners and RF splitters.
    It's not disimilar to using an RGB cable where available, yes we could play all of our consoles on exactly the displays with the same AV cables as we did originally, or we can take advantage of what the 21st century has to offer and have them display in the nicest way possible.
    Also, it's not like the 2600, 7800 or Master System are terribly rare anyways

Advertisement