Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Once you get Bleemcyst on there it's fantastic.
    Certainly, the original gamelist ceases to be a source of sorrow and you can load it up with your own favourites.
    I have the Ridge Racer and Need for Speed series on mine and it's great.

Do they still run like absolute dirt though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Do they still run like absolute dirt though?

Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer Revolution and Rage Racer are gold, and NfS, 3 and Road Challenge are still great.
    3DO version of NfS is still the best though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Can't go wrong with a psp modded for psx etc. Games look great on the screen.

Was tempted to get an oled vita for the same but couldn't justify it for the quality bump in screen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Inviere

beejee wrote: »
    Was tempted to get an oled vita for the same but couldn't justify it for the quality bump in screen :)

Quite a few other improvements with a Vita though, screen, frame-rates, controls, battery, all far superior to the PSP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is framerate increased? On PSP the games run just like on the PS1, it really is a remarkable emulator they put on that system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Inviere wrote: »
    Quite a few other improvements with a Vita though, screen, frame-rates, controls, battery, all far superior to the PSP.

Battery isn't great on psp, for sure. I managed to get a brand new one about a year ago and the battery was A-ok. I know theres a mod to get more juice out of it, but im a lazy man.

Is framerate increased? On PSP the games run just like on the PS1, it really is a remarkable emulator they put on that system.

Actually for PS1 I'm not sure. For PSP games there definitely is, the Vita runs them smoother than they run natively on the PSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭Doge

Since it's a hardware emulation it's the same frame rate I believe. Certainly plays just like an original ps1.

Doge wrote: »
    Since it's a hardware emulation it's the same frame rate I believe. Certainly plays just like an original ps1.

Aye perhaps, PSP games though are definitely smoother/higher frame rate when played on the Vita. I remember having both running side by side comparing them, and the difference was stark - enough to make me never bother turning on a PSP again :o Combined with the far better screen, controls, and battery, I think the jump in price for a Vita is worth it. (no offence to beejee or sugarman!)

FF Tactics on PSP still drops to sub 5 FPS during spells and abilities on Vita but I think that's just because it's still a PoS port which a small homebrew patch fixes.

Never noticed a better framerate on PSP games although the games I play usually run very smoothly on PSP anyway. Maybe it's an effect of the better screen, my v1 PSP has awful ghosting.

• Advertisement

Never noticed a better framerate on PSP games although the games I play usually run very smoothly on PSP anyway. Maybe it's an effect of the better screen, my v1 PSP has awful ghosting.

You’d notice it, you’re a frame rate whore like myself :o put on something intensive like Vice City Stories, and compare them side by side. There’s a STARK difference/improvement on the Vita, and it isn’t just the lack of ghosting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Seen this posted elsewhere, good deal, buy atari tshirt and get art of atari book free on zavvi for 14.99gbp. Worked out at just under 23 euro Inc delivery to Ireland

https://m.zavvi.com/franchises/atari/bundle.list

Did this arrive / ship for anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,963 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Did this arrive / ship for anyone ?

I got dispatch notification on Tuesday. Expected delivery date on the email says 12th to 13th March. Not sure why it is going to take that long.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I have not got mine yet either.

Says "Processing" :(

Got dispatch notice on Tuesday also..

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Got a dispatch on Monday 25th, expected next Mon/Tue (11th/12th).

Ive a bad history of them cancelling stuff i ordered and not even emailing. Looks like its happening again haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭Doge

Ive a bad history of them cancelling stuff i ordered and not even emailing. Looks like its happening again haha

It was posted on HotUKDeals so I'd say that would send them over the edge alright.

I remember ordering a JBL Pulse 2 new for about £80 from them and it was showing in stock before and ordering, then it gets cancelled due to being out of stock.

I think "in stock" really means we'll try and order it from our suppliers and hope for the best!

I pre-ordered a full set of Jaws Figures off them from the film a couple of years back, including the shark. after months one of them arrived and I went to check the rest and they where all cancelled. these where pre-orders! I swore id never buy off them again but then went for this haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Some stock systems don't reflect pending orders. If there's 10 in stock and the orders aren't confirmed and you're order 11, you'll see 10 in stock but it's really going to be sold out. Could be a similar system there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Mine arrived today, it's one beefy book, Tshirt is grand, the logo is pretty large on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,963 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Well mine came today, I ordered the wrong size t shirt! (in my head I was ordering a child size, in reality I wasn't) If anyone wants a 4xl Atari t-shirt you can have it.

Happy with the book though.

Edit: Stuck t-shirt on the marketplace.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Mine arrived yesterday, impressed with the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Well I guess some may consider it a bargain http://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/comments/ay8jfh/a_friend_of_mine_was_given_the_responsibility_of/

Not on my shopping list for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

An Original Super Nintendo (SNES)

seen the mini ones on Amazon but there's some games I'd love to get that aren't included with them

probably very rare these days

anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    probably very rare these days

anyone any ideas?
    Not really
    Ebay, the Rage, facebook groups, the market place here, adverts
    https://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/snes-super-nintendo-snes-pal-console-complete/17384642

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Probably better off buying the mini and hacking it, put tons of games in there then

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you get an original one don't get a local PAL standard one, get a US NTSC Super Nintendo instead.
    They are faster and, seeing as most games are bought online these days, no trouble to get games for.
    Only issue is they are pug ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Jack burton

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If you get an original one don't get a local PAL standard one, get a US NTSC Super Nintendo instead.
    They are faster and, seeing as most games are bought online these days, no trouble to get games for.
    Only issue is they are pug ugly.

OMG did you just "right angle" shame the us SNES! #triggered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,611 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It embodies everything that is wrong with America :pac:

Advertisement