Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Aris's Walrus: The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Irish Aris wrote: »
    In 7th place, submitted by
    beakerjoe
    , Stan Bush-The Touch

Of the 4 songs that I didn’t know this was the one that caught my attention straight away. This is as 80s as you can get, the FM rock sound that back in the day people loved to hate and hated to love. The last few years I have been listening to a lot of 80s inspired synthwave and I would say that many of the current bands have copied riffs and melodies from songs like this one. Best discovery of this category and straight into my playlist. I wish that I could place it a bit higher but the top-6 was locked fairly early in the process.

That is a class pick and has given me an song I'm gonna force in to my next Walrus selections SOMEHOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

In 6th place, submitted by
    s1ippy
    , The Cure-A Forest

This was in the first 5-6 nominations I received and I thought that it would easily be in the top-3. What hurt it was over-familiarity: I am a big fan of The Cure and consider them one of the best live bands ever and many songs feature in my playlist, including A Forest. The haunting, almost goth sound of the guitar and the bass against a simple melody and lyrics makes this a song for the ages. But I have been listening to it so often so when I needed to split hairs, it took a hit.

In 17th place, submitted by
    Kolido
    , Madonna-Crazy For You

I am a big fan of 80s and 90s Madonna and the fact that any of her songs from that period would place so low is a testament of how strong this category is. Having said that, I don’t have many ballads amongst my favourite Madonna songs (and from that period Live to Tell would be my choice), so haven’t heard this song in quite a while and it was really great to listen it again.

In 5th place, submitted by
    Gru
    , Fun Boy Three-Our Lips Are Sealed

I can’t recall if I heard this version first or the original of The Go-Go’s. Chances are that I heard the Go-Go’s first as I am a fan of Belinda Carlisle. But I prefer the Fun Boy Three version. I love the percussion sound, especially in the intro and the arrangement and production gives the opportunity to Terry Hall to give a great vocal performance. One of my favourite Fun Boy Three songs, only one other of their songs could have placed higher.

In 18th place, submitted by
    fixXxer
    , Devo-Whip It

Another band that was on the down towards the late 80s so I never connected with their music at the time. Whip It is probably the only song of theirs I know and while I would dance to it if it came on in a bar/club, it’s not a song that I would include in my regular playlists.

• Advertisement

In 4th place, submitted by
    phatkev
    , Cabaret Voltaire-Sensoria

I didn’t expect to see Cabaret Voltaire nominated, so I was really excited when I saw this song. I discovered Cabaret Voltaire during the 00s with the more conventional, poppier 80's sound and eventually checked their more experimental 70s music. Phatkev linked for me the 7’’ version. I would normally listen to the original version off the Micro-phonies album, but every single version of this song is great. It’s one of these cases where Cabaret Voltaire created a tune that could be edited and rearranged in so many wonderful ways, and the percussion sound is phenomenal.

Quick bio-break and we will be back for the top 3 and bottom 3

Gamers still in it (in alphabetical order)

Homer J. Fong
    JohnGreenFan
    lassykk
    Necro
    RasTa
    Zaph

and we are back!!

In 19th place, submitted by
    RasTa
    , New Order-The Age Of Consent

I am a fan of New Order but not of the beginnings as I feel they were trying to balance the aftermath of Curtis’s death and the idea of the new direction and I don’t think Bernard’s voice suits that sound. Having said that, Power Corruption and Lies is a good album and The Age of Consent a good song. Unfortunately this list was so strong and some songs had to be moved further down the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

13th could be worse I guess. Was gonna switch for this one, but didn't end up doing it.

In 3rd place, submitted by
    Zaph
    , Talking Heads-This Must Be The Place (Naïve Melody)

I consider David Byrne one of the most interesting composers and arrangers of the last 40 years. That’s not to say that everything he has written is great, but he knows how to build and arrange a melody and I especially like his adventures towards world music, either as part of Talking Heads, his collaboration with Brian Eno or his solo albums. 10 years ago, This Must Be The Place would barely make it into a Top-10 of my favourite Talking Heads songs. All this changed with Paolo Sorrentino’s film of the same name. In one of the most memorable scenes of the film, David Byrne sings the song live, accompanied by strings, in an arrangement that brings the song to a whole different level. Thus I got “approval” from Zaph to include this version in the YouTube playlist.

• Advertisement

In 20th place, submitted by
    JohnGreenFan
    , The Travelling Wilburys-End of the Line

Another one of the 4 songs that I didn’t know. I know The Travelling Wilburys as a supergroup but they never took off in Greece and except for Handle with Care I don’t know any of their other songs. This was initially last, but the harmonies in the vocals sound really nice and I moved it up one spot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Awww, that's a great song.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Awww, that's a great song.

You mean The Travelling Wilburys? It is a good song, just not something that I would listen to regularly, and not something that I would consider as proper 80s - I'm more on the pop side of the 80s :)

In 2nd place, submitted by
    Deleted User
    , Grace Jones-Pull Up To The Bumper

when it comes to the amazing Miss Jones, I’m lost for words. An incredible, enigmatic, magnetic persona that doesn’t have to demand attention, as it is impossible not to give it voluntarily. Pull Up To The Bumper is one of her best songs. From the double-entendre lyrics (although Jones herself has dismissed the sexual innuendo aspect), to the funky, groovy music, to the assured, yet kind of laid-back vocals of Grace Jones, this is one of the most defining moments of an extraordinary career. I would have liked to give it the top spot, it was very close but fell just short.

You mean The Travelling Wilburys? It is a good song, just not something that I would listen to regularly, and not something that I would consider as proper 80s - I'm more on the pop side of the 80s :)

Yeah. That and George Harrison earlier are my two favourites so far. Mmmm, wonder if there's a connectioin? :confused:

quickbeam wrote: »
    Yeah. That and George Harrison earlier are my two favourites so far. Mmmm, wonder if there's a connectioin? :confused:

To be honest it is probably the fact that I didn't know the song at all and didn't catch my attention enough to place it higher. If I had Handle With Care in the mix, it would have placed higher - I reckon just outside the top-10 - because I know it.

In 21st place, submitted by
    lassykk
    , The Police-Every Breath You Take

OK, I reckon this will be controversial. . .
    By the time I started listening to music in 1986, The Police were already inactive and Sting has started his solo career. I never got into his music and it didn’t inspire me to search The Police’s back catalogue, although in later years I discovered a couple of songs I like through friends. Between that and the fact that Every Breath You Take is a bit overplayed sent it to the bottom end of the list.

And in 1st place, submitted by
    Necro
    , Tears For Fears-Everybody Wants To Rule The World

Necro was the first to send me songs and I immediately knew that it would take something really extraordinary to beat this song. This is just one of those iconic songs that define 80s. I have seen Tears For Fears live twice the last 3 years and they started with this song both times. Where Shout is a powerhouse of a song in a slightly obvious way, Everybody Wants To Rule The World unveils its strengths so naturally. I think it also has to do with Curt Smith’s soft, sweet voice which always brings a kind of vulnerability to the songs he sings. Excellent pop music and though Tears For Fears will never be my favourite band of all times, they were consistently very good.

Now, THAT is a class song!

Necro takes an early lead but with 6 more rounds to go and my unconventional music taste it's anybody's game!!

Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6 Round 7 Total Points
    Necro 21 21
    Homer J. Fong 20 20
    Zaph 19 19
    phatkev 18 18
    Gru 17 17
    s1ippy 16 16
    beakerjoe 15 15
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 14 14
    Green&Red 13 13
    JP Liz V1 12 12
    Shane U 11 11
    the purple tin 10 10
    Osh 9 9
    Electric Nitwit 8 8
    Sawduck 7 7
    Mustang Shelly 6 6
    Kolido 5 5
    fixXxer 4 4
    RasTa 3 3
    JohnGreenFan 2 2
    lassykk 1 1

• Advertisement

And this is the YouTube Playlist I created.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUaRXycpvvkEJNAkGG3qOlThYUVHXEFI-

I have already started listening to the next 2 categories and for now targeting to do the next reveal on Friday evening, I will confirm it on Friday morning.

Yay, very happy to get on the podium here! :D I think (though I may be wrong) that Grace Jones went unrecognised in the previous threads like 'Best 80's song' and 'Best Song sung by a Woman', so that's what made me pick her amongst a huge bunch of possible entries here. Also really fun live, and in unbelievable shape for a woman now in her 70's!

Very interesting bottom two. Have to say I'm not a fan of Every Breath You Take at all, and definitely agree about it being overplayed. I just can't warm to The Police in general, I'm not that mad about Sting's voice (he seems like a fairly irritating person too, which doesn't help) and their songs all just seem to drag on a bit, even the ones that aren't actually that long.

On the other hand I really like End Of The Line (even better than Handle With Care imo), that probably would have been in the Top 5 for me from that selection.

Very interesting bottom two. Have to say I'm not a fan of Every Breath You Take at all, and definitely agree about it being overplayed. I just can't warm to The Police in general, I'm not that mad about Sting's voice (he seems like a fairly irritating person too, which doesn't help) and their songs all just seem to drag on a bit, even the ones that aren't actually that long.

On the other hand I really like End Of The Line (even better than Handle With Care imo), that probably would have been in the Top 5 for me from that selection.

I do like The Police, but Every Breath is way overrated. They have much better songs, which aren't played to death.

Agree with your second paragraph there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

And in 1st place, submitted by
    Necro
    , Tears For Fears-Everybody Wants To Rule The World

Necro was the first to send me songs and I immediately knew that it would take something really extraordinary to beat this song. This is just one of those iconic songs that define 80s. I have seen Tears For Fears live twice the last 3 years and they started with this song both times. Where Shout is a powerhouse of a song in a slightly obvious way, Everybody Wants To Rule The World unveils its strengths so naturally. I think it also has to do with Curt Smith’s soft, sweet voice which always brings a kind of vulnerability to the songs he sings. Excellent pop music and though Tears For Fears will never be my favourite band of all times, they were consistently very good.

Well this is a very nice thing to come back to :D

Whoop!! Actually discovered this song only a couple of years ago and (I think) was reminded of it through one of the tournaments, tis on my always playing list and actually happened to be listening to it when I saw Irish put up their Walrus so figured, why not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Was going to change to this, but never ended up doing it

osh wrote: »
    Was going to change to this, but never ended up doing it

ah, really like this song, it would have probably placed a few places higher.
    I haven't listened to it in years and a year or so go one of new favourite pop bands, Roosevelt did this great cover:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,828 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Ah mediocrity, we meet again :D

ShaneU wrote: »
    Ah mediocrity, we meet again :D

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

In 14th place, submitted by
    Electric Nitwit
    , The Wedding Present-Take Me
    Ah well, that was always a gamble but I happened to be listening to it soon after reading the categories and I love it. I also guessed it might be new to you so I went with it, I'll take my medicine (and I'm buzzing from Liverpool’s trophy lift so you could have thrown anything my way :p)

To be honest, I'm more offended that I finished above...
    In 15th place, submitted by
    Sawduck
    , Joy Division-Atmosphere
    :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

In 20th place, submitted by
    JohnGreenFan
    , The Travelling Wilburys-End of the Line

Another one of the 4 songs that I didn’t know. I know The Travelling Wilburys as a supergroup but they never took off in Greece and except for Handle with Care I don’t know any of their other songs. This was initially last, but the harmonies in the vocals sound really nice and I moved it up one spot.

This does not bode well for my other entries since I thought this would be the best of the lot!!
    Still love the song though. Fingers crossed I don't come last in my first walrus...

Advertisement