Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Aris's Walrus: The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

And in 1st place, submitted by
    beakerjoe
    , The Killers-The Man

I am a big fan of The Killers and Brandon Flowers as a performer. This was the first release right after Brandon’s excellent, 80s influenced solo album The Desired Effect and I think it as a continuation of that sound. A brilliant upbeat song that’s probably written for the stage, and the live interpretation is even better than the studio effort.

beakerjoe takes the top spot, but things are really tight at the table with many gamers forming groups one point apart from each other.
    RasTa unfortunately occupies the last spot, I wonder if our music tastes are really that far apart, but with 5 more rounds to go there is still plenty of time to go up.

Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6 Round 7 Total Points
    beakerjoe 15 21 36
    s1ippy 16 19 35
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 14 20 34
    Necro 21 12 33
    Homer J. Fong 20 10 30
    JP Liz V1 12 17 29
    Zaph 19 9 28
    phatkev 18 6 24
    Sawduck 7 16 23
    Gru 17 5 22
    Shane U 11 11 22
    fixXxer 4 18 22
    Green&Red 13 7 20
    Kolido 5 15 20
    Osh 9 8 17
    JohnGreenFan 2 13 15
    lassykk 1 14 15
    the purple tin 10 2 12
    Electric Nitwit 8 3 11
    Mustang Shelly 6 4 10
    RasTa 3 1 4

And here's the YouTube playlist. The Mkai song is from a live version - for some reason the save option was deactivated on the official video and I couldn't add it to the list

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUaRXycpvvkHY1W-FJuMbcLUvC0uPMcz-

Next category will be the duet/collaborations.
    I'm targeting Sunday for now. There is a small chance that I might not be available on Sunday in which case we will move the reveal on Monday.

12th out of 21 isn't so bad.

But this.....

....cannot go unchallenged.

giphy.gif

You should've listened to it at least 5 more times before the Reveal then. :cool:

Haha, ok, you are right, poor choice of words.
    It's just that this mid-tempo thing is always puts me on pause: not fast enough to tap my foot, not slow enough to make it a proper ballad.

Lisa O'Neill's an interesting choice, probably someone I admire moreso than actually enjoy listening to. She's clearly talented but best taken in small doses I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hehe, I did pick a few songs from categories you mentioned you didn't like.

This might get ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Irish Aris wrote: »
    beakerjoe
    , The Killers-The Man

I am a big fan of The Killers and Brandon Flowers as a performer. This was the first release right after Brandon’s excellent, 80s influenced solo album The Desired Effect and I think it as a continuation of that sound. A brilliant upbeat song that’s probably written for the stage, and the live interpretation is even better than the studio effort.

I love The Killers, who doesn't love them, right?
    I can never get this song though, because every time I hear it I think of this one...

Space wrote:
    Who's the man with the plan?
    Who's the man? I am
    Who's the man? I am
    I'm the man
    Who's the man? Who's the man?
    I'm the man, I'm the man
    I'm the man

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I love The Killers, who doesn't love them, right?
    Me :p:D

You mean you've got soul but you're not a soldier? ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Is there a worst lyric ever written than:
    Are we human?
    Or are we dancer?

Like, it doesn't even make grammatical sense.

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »

Ha ha, I agree - and can't stand that song as a result. Their lyrics have always been pretty terrible though, their second single was "somebody told me that you had a boyfriend that looked like a girlfriend that I had in February of last year". I mean, what? Still love it though

The one that really kills me is Spaceman, because it's a brilliant tune until it breaks into
    "My global position systems are vocally addressed
    They say the Nile used to run from East to West
    They say the Nile used to run
    From East to West"

:confused:

quickbeam wrote: »

I always thought it meant dancer as a species :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

These tracks are going to go down extremely well on the living room dancefloor tonight.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I always thought it meant dancer as a species :)

It's taken from a Hunter S. Thompson quote about America raising a generation of dancers, or something like that. Basically Thompson was questioning whether younger generations were softer than the ones before them. Still an unbelievably sh*te lyric though. An s at the end wouldn't miraculously transform it into a good lyric, but at least it would be grammatically correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

In 6th place, submitted by
    Sawduck
    , Of Monsters And Men-Crystals

Though I didn’t know this song, I feel that I have heard it recently, it sounds familiar. This was the biggest climber on this list. Initially it was nowhere near top-10 but with every listen I liked it more and more. I was always under the impression that Of Monsters and Men are too folky for my liking, but this song is anything but folky. Plus I love Iceland and always on the lookout for artists from there.

Liked this song

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Youre so wrong :p

beakerjoe
    , The Killers-The Man

Like most songs its ckose to my heart. It came out as ai was training for the Marathon back in 2018 and it was a god send.

Im a wrestling fan and so is Mr Flowers, so I immediately thought it was a nod to Ric Flair, the self proclaimed Man of wrestling. So you can imagine my surprise to find out its a song about Brandons ego and vanity in his early fame.

Either way I love it and was expecting Becky Lynch to use it as Wrestlemaina entrance in the future.

The song is catchy, toe tapping and easy to sing a long to, and its a great opener to their last gig I saw. Brandon is a great showman/front man and this song amplifies that live.

Thanks Iris, glad you agree. Very humbled.

Song many songs on this round I hadnt heard, so this playlist will go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Great round IA, really like a good few of those. That Regrettes song is excellent, my pick of the round

Like a cowbell, we need more banjo. I regret not picking this for round 4

• Advertisement

You mean you've got soul but you're not a soldier? ;)
    You have me pegged Nitty, no fighter am I :)

I was thinking about that Villagers video, and your man might have been right not to collect the money, suddenly all those arses at work that treat him like dirt would be pretending to be his friend, asking for a loan, inviting him out for drinks and make him pay for every round etc.
    Gold-diggers would be all over him too trying to marry him and live large off his dough while having toyboys on the side, then divorce him and take half the money. People sending begging letters to the house and so on. A meek guy like him would not be able to say no to any of that.

The only thing would be to maybe claim it but keep quiet about it, or else give it all to charity, I would hate to think of all that lolly just going back to the greedy Lotto bosses.

RasTa wrote: »
    Like a cowbell, we need more banjo. I regret not picking this for round 4

Or maybe this little beauty

Being at that gig would be Irish Aris's personal version of the ninth circle of hell :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Earl Scruggs is awesome. Steve Martin does a great version of that tune too.

The sound from the banjo Cedric Watson is playing sounds very much like the instruments used on some of the old Alan Lomax recordings of American folk and blues music from the 30s and 40s. A lot of the people he recorded were dirt poor, so presumably they used homemade banjos using gourds, rather than the typical instruments we're used to seeing. Lomax was a really interesting guy who collected music from all over the world, including Ireland, and among the more unusual things he recorded in the States were prison chain gangs singing work songs. Well worth checking out for anyone who's interested in old blues and gospel music.

Yeah I've watched loads of the Lomax stuff. Amazing.

Actually the OP is from Greece so he should be loving the Banjos and Baouzouki's etc!

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah I've watched loads of the Lomax stuff. Amazing.

Actually the OP is from Greece so he should be loving the Banjos and Baouzouki's etc!

not at all hahahahaha!!!! I am not a fan of bouzouki either and that type of follk music. I do like some of the traditional Greek music, but it's must to have percussion instruments to keep the rhythm. Similar with traditional Irish music, I need to hear the bodhran.

In relation to the banjo and folk/bluegrass music in general, the starting point last year was Rhiannin Giddens and the album he did with multi-instrumentalist Francesco Turisi. There is enough banjo but combined nicely with all the other instruments. This is my favourite song from that album:

And this is the only song that I really like the sound of the banjo:

Good afternoon everyone.
    I will do another category tonight. Currently following the final Premier league games of the season, we will start at the usual 7 pm.

Brian Eno is one person that has done many great collaborations throughout his career:

This is one that I have been listening to frequently the last couple of years:

And here's one that some people won't remember as it was never released as a single:

Give it ..... oh I dunno 45 minutes plus added time and I shall be around.

And this is the only song that I really like the sound of the banjo:

Haven't heard that song for a long, long time... and I haven't missed it :p
    Good afternoon everyone.
    I will do another category tonight. Currently following the final Premier league games of the season, we will start at the usual 7 pm.
    Cool, looking forward to this one. I usually try to pick either a song I love, one I think the host will really like, something that fits the category really well or just something interesting and fairly unknown. This round I think I've ticked all those boxes and I'm optimistic. I hate it when I'm optimistic, it usually ends badly :o

But no, tonight...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-4844-1442050795-6.gif

Edit: I presume someone picked David Bowie and Queen, that's the definitive answer here isn't it?

Haven't heard that song for a long, long time... and I haven't missed it :p

Cool, looking forward to this one. I usually try to pick either a song I love, one I think the host will really like, something that fits the category really well or just something interesting and fairly unknown. This round I think I've ticked all those boxes and I'm optimistic. I hate it when I'm optimistic, it usually ends badly :o

But no, tonight...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-4844-1442050795-6.gif

Edit: I presume someone picked David Bowie and Queen, that's the definitive answer here isn't it?

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Wouldn't surprise me to be walking away with last place on this round. Personally I love the song I've gone for, but can also see why some people would absolutely hate it...

giphy.gif

Advertisement