Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making things better: your input is needed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

seannash wrote: »
    if you are going to sticky somethings id suggest you delete som e of the stickies in place at the moment.
    rats monthly gear horn has been pretty dead the past while(no offence to studiorat)
    im sure theres a few more that could go too

Its a monthly gear horn, it only happens once a month. It is one of those mysteries of life. Why does the swallow migrate? How do sea turtles navigate their way back to their place of hatching to lay their own eggs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

I think the forum is fine the way it is.
    There are probably less than 20 regulars.
    I like coming here and reading all the latest topics regardless of music style etc.
    I hate forums with loads of different sub forums. If I ever visit them I just hit today's posts or new posts so I can see everything without trawling through sub menus.
    Most newbie questions do get answered before the thread meanders off topic so I don't see the problem there. Don't forget that most engineers are creative people with a short attention span:D. That's why we don't have regular 9-5s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

maybe fitz could start a thread to see how many regulars there are.something like a roll call.and if people feel theres people missing from the roll call(havent logged in in the past few days or whatever)they could put there names forward.
    be good to see how many people are using the forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Hey guys, I post alot on sound on sound like alot of you do so im into forums when i get the chance and i like to help if i can and have a bit of a laugh.

I think a newbie section is a no goer as I think if we all remember what it was like in the beginning and reply to them in a helpful way, they will feel a part of the forum and wont mind posting questions no matter how small.

In regards to posting prices I woul say no as all that will happen is some guy will just undercut ya and it will get ugly?

I think be as positive and helpful as you can and thats your advertising people will come to you if they feel they can work with you and get on with you.

Breaking musical styles is a bit silly for me though I understand what the guys wereon about, I dont produce Dance, but im open to always learn new techniques and again its all knowlege isnt it???? If the subject says something in relation to Dance I therfore can choose to click or not to click and not have to run off to another forum :) pity

I havent seen many clashes on here, but I think if we as adults re-read what we type there should never be a problem. ;)

Laters

Ed

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I think giving the people the option to have a face to face meeting would be a good thing. As someone who relatively recently joined the forum, I initially didn't know what to make of some people (based on their posts), and having met some of them realised that what could have been interpreted as someone being a bit of an arsehole online just didn't apply in person.

You know there are many forums on this site which meet up regularly.
    I've been going to the pub with people from this site since 2002. I've always had a great time.
    Ye should seriously think about meeting up for a few drinks. You'll have a blast. And as you said, once you've met someone in person, talking to them online takes on a whole new angle.

not that id be against the idea but wouldnt meeting up just sort of make it more clicky round here.
    im not saying dont do it.there are some people id like to meet from here in person but i dont think its a solution to changing what some people call the "less than inviting atmosphere" on here
    i would imagine it would be great fun alright

There is a click on any forum, I would say to anyone just push through and act as you do, just keep knocking it out of the way :)

love o meet all of ya just dont have the time... maybe the xmas party :) haha

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

I think there are ways around it. There's a lot of off topic banter on here at the moment that ruins a lot of threads and contributes to the "clique" perception.

Jt's suggestion of an Off-Topic Thread may be a great way to remedy this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'm also pretty cool with the way things work in MP.

As for a meet up for drinks,etc yep that works for me too. Mayhap it could coincide with Paul's trip to London. Extend it out to an overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

fitz wrote: »
    I think there are ways around it. There's a lot of off topic banter on here at the moment that ruins a lot of threads and contributes to the "clique" perception.

No - I think this is a daft idea.

If things get all formal all the craic will be gone and so too will the posters.

As TrackMix mentioned - most queries get answered and the wandering starts.... no harm done. It's natural there'll be cliques, some of us know each other.

However anyone's welcome to join 'the clique' .... row in with some good questions or points or a bit of banter and Bob's yer Uncle ..

It will be a dry old place with out that.

However perhaps that's what people want?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Certainly there will be no harm done by giving it a go and seeing if it works.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Certainly there will be no harm done by giving it a go and seeing if it works.

That's true !

However what's 'off topic' ?

Slightly off topic? A good bit off topic? Well off topic? Clearly a headache for our Mods too... and to what ends?

Unworkable in my brain! Bet you €20 it never works ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    That's true !

However what's 'off topic' ?

Slightly off topic? A good bit off topic? Well off topic? Clearly a headache for our Mods too... and to what ends?

Unworkable in my brain! Bet you €20 it never works ;)
    i'm not sure if you read any of the other forums on boards (or internet forums in general), but it is very very common. And it works.

Examples of Off topic threads would be:

'What do you think of Lily Allen's new record?'
    'Look how this band are promoting their new record?'
    'Here's a video about this, that or the other'
    'Here's an interview with 'big shot producer x'

The off topic thread could actually be called

'Videos, Interviews, Promotion, OT Banter'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I disagree - I think it was a pointless thread and has already fizzled out.

I think that comment is really interesting actually. Does that mean to say that when a member of the forum thinks the thread has run it's course, that it's ok to wander off in another direction? Because that to me comes down to respect, respect of the fact that others may not think the same way as you, and respect that others may wish to continue to discuss the topic ad nauseum. Surely that's what a threaded board is for.

This is not a chat room. If you want to chat (and maintain the clique) surely the off-topic banter would be the ideal place for that. Or hold on, better yet, have an MP channel on IRC. Problem solved.

I think Seziertisch's idea of a meet-up is a great one, but not for the reason given. We should be able to function in an online environment without knowing people personally.

Oh, and by the way, the comment quoted above, finished with
    But I think it's good you've posted and hope you'll continue too. More opinions will give this place a bit o fizz!
    To squash my opinion like that, and wipe up with "but come back soon now" is patronising and condescending. If I wasn't already invested in Boards (as a whole) - or if I was a noob, I would have turned on my heel and never come back in here.

I think that comment is really interesting actually. Does that mean to say that when a member of the forum thinks the thread has run it's course, that it's ok to wander off in another direction? Because that to me comes down to respect, respect of the fact that others may not think the same way as you, and respect that others may wish to continue to discuss the topic ad nauseum. Surely that's what a threaded board is for.

This is not a chat room. If you want to chat (and maintain the clique) surely the off-topic banter would be the ideal place for that. Or hold on, better yet, have an MP channel on IRC. Problem solved.

I think Seziertisch's idea of a meet-up is a great one, but not for the reason given. We should be able to function in an online environment without knowing people personally.

To squash my opinion like that, and wipe up with "but come back soon now" is patronising and condescending. If I wasn't already invested in Boards (as a whole) - or if I was a noob, I would have turned on my heel and never come back in here.

Catho - I didn't mean to insult you and apologise unreservedly if I have.

However I expressed what I think directly and unambiguously i.e. I disagree with the point.

But I'm disagreeing with you not in any way to suppress your input or ignore it - but to acknowledge and welcome it as a valid contribution, just one I disagree with.

To my mind the forum is at it's most interesting and useful when opposing views are expressed. My right can be your wrong and that's cool.

Please keep posting. The more the merrier in my opinion.

• Advertisement

thank you!!!

this has been going on for far too long.

I think that's a perfect example of what I was talking about. My feeling (based on what was written) would be that Paul's comments could be indeed be interpreted as patronising, but having met Paul I would say that this probably wasn't the case.

We should be able to function in an online environment without knowing people, but this requires giving people the benefit of the doubt sometimes. When people communicate face to face there is so much more going on in terms of body language etc. which lends meaning to what is being said. Online this isn't the case obviously.

Catho, how would Paul have said what he said to you face to face. Would he have shouted it at you before turning away in a hissy fit? Would he have had a big sneer on his face as he spat it out? Or would he have used body language which would have mitigated the "severity" of what he said? I certainly wouldn't be able to say for definite. "Stupid" was definitely an unfortunate turn of phrase, but its not so cut and dry as to be able to make a call on it (in my opinion).

To my mind the forum is at it's most interesting and useful when opposing views are expressed.
    Well, I can point you to a limitless number of threads where you seem very uncomfortable with these 'most interesting' situations.

And if it is the case, why am I on your ingore list? surely the more opinions the merrier and you are well able to argue your points intelligibly with someone like myself?

Your behaviour here has (deliberately or otherwise) come across as an exhaustive attempt to impose a hegemony of concepts, that suspiciously profit your commercial interests over the long term.

You seem very threatened by anyone who might shake this situation.
    Please keep posting. The more the merrier in my opinion.
    Oh I will, so maybe you could take me off your ignore list so we can all be a bit merrier.

PMI wrote: »
    Hey guys, I post alot on sound on sound like alot of you do so im into forums when i get the chance and i like to help if i can and have a bit of a laugh.

I think a newbie section is a no goer as I think if we all remember what it was like in the beginning and reply to them in a helpful way, they will feel a part of the forum and wont mind posting questions no matter how small.

In regards to posting prices I woul say no as all that will happen is some guy will just undercut ya and it will get ugly?

I think be as positive and helpful as you can and thats your advertising people will come to you if they feel they can work with you and get on with you.

Breaking musical styles is a bit silly for me though I understand what the guys wereon about, I dont produce Dance, but im open to always learn new techniques and again its all knowlege isnt it???? If the subject says something in relation to Dance I therfore can choose to click or not to click and not have to run off to another forum :) pity

I havent seen many clashes on here, but I think if we as adults re-read what we type there should never be a problem. ;)

Laters

Ed

In text form a sentence can have so many different meanings without being able to hear the tone of voice used :)

jtsuited wrote: »
    thank you!!!

this has been going on for far too long.

This is another example of what I am talking about. Jt, you give the impression of a guy who has some sort of axe to grind with Paul (and indeed you have been banned before for grinding that axe). If thread was the first time your dislike of Paul had surfaced I would be inclined to say, ok, tempers have flared, but its not.

This is an issue that really needs to be sorted. You guys have never met, you probably wouldn't recognise one another is you passed on the street etc. When you think about it having strong feelings about him either way is a bit mad. If this were a forum with members scattered around the world, it would be almost impossible to meet up face to face. It isn't though.

So we should get our collective arses in gear and get something organised. Anyway, how many of the people that post and lurk here do so because their interest in music production is not shared by most of the actual people they know? Probably most of us. Now wouldn't it be nice to meet some actual people who share this interest?

• Advertisement

Hmmm...something just struck me.

In the Subjectivity thread (which i think is simultaneously indicative of the both the positives and negatives of this forum) you state

'Interesting thread - unsurprisingly I disagree with a lot of it!' (Post no. 16)

and yet in this thread you say 'I think it was a pointless thread and has already fizzled out.' (post no. 37 in this thread).

You undermined and derailed that thread (yes my reaction to your personal dig did not help) because imo you don't like ideas like that floating around this forum. You seem genuinely angered by some of the posts.

jtsuited wrote: »
    Hmmm...something just struck me.

In the Subjectivity thread (which i think is simultaneously indicative of the both the positives and negatives of this forum) you state

'Interesting thread - unsurprisingly I disagree with a lot of it!' (Post no. 16)

and yet in this thread you say 'I think it was a pointless thread and has already fizzled out.' (post no. 37 in this thread).

You undermined and derailed that thread (yes my reaction to your personal dig did not help) because imo you don't like ideas like that floating around this forum. You seem genuinely angered by some of the posts.

And if we go further back we can find a thread where you insulted Paul and got banned for it ... You are hardly a man more sinned against than sinning. This horse**** needs to stop. If you meet up with him in person and find out you don't like him, then fair enough. Until then things need to cool off a small bit.

This is another example of what I am talking about. Jt, you give the impression of a guy who has some sort of axe to grind with Paul (and indeed you have been banned before for grinding that axe). If thread was the first time your dislike of Paul had surfaced I would be inclined to say, ok, tempers have flared, but its not.

the reason that I am speaking of this, is because it came to light that my opinion on Mr. Brewer's use of the forum was no longer only the sentiments of a small group of people. Please go to the forums section and read the thread 'dedicated dance music production forum' to see what I mean.

Also, I was told directly by an admin that engaging in the debate as opposed to staying quiet (which is what I have done for a long time) would be a better idea.

And if we go further back we can find a thread where you insulted Paul and got banned for it ... You are hardly a man more sinned against than sinning. .
    totally irrelevant to this thread. look at why I brought it up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Guys, back on topic, the jt/brewer thing is more than covered at this point.

this might be a bit out there:

is there any way of embedding quicktime files, soundcloud widgets, etc.?

i know that when I see a link to an audio file I tend not to click it because
    a) if it's not a listening link, it's gonna automatically copy itself into my itunes and that's a right pain in the ass. Anyone who's gone through the gearslutz comparison/shootout forum will know what I'm talking about.

b) it's an extra couple of seconds going offsite where my 21st century attention span might just go chasing insects round the room.

Right now the only embedding we can do is youtube vids, and well I don't need to tell all y'all while that's not entirely suitable.

This idea is probably way too much hassle for the geekery gods, so disregard it if necessary.

Would be fun to be able to go 'hear my new mega compressor, click the button once, instant gratification'.

Would also be a unique point of the music production forum (I don't think any other forums have it).

More posts about Music Production would improve the Forum no end too.

As I said, I think we should organise a bit of an evening out in Dublin. Mid-week would probably be best (as people tend to have stuff on at the weekends), also there is not much point in meeting up if people aren't going to be able to talk (i.e. the pub is packed). A few quite pints in the centre of town would be the best job. I think we should just set a date and see who can come, regardless of when we decide it isn't going to suit everyone. And who knows it might become more than a one off. We should make if for a couple of weeks time and see what happens. Should I suggest a date or does someone else want to set the ball rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

go for it.

just not wed the bloody 4th of june as i have 3 differant things to go to that night!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

If people know eachother outside of boards than great for them whats with you people? How does it irritate you just because a topic goes off course for a waggle? I have seen it before when a moderator says right lads back on topic, it works fine no? I have tried to get to know some people outside of boards and some are not interested so you just know who you know and get on with it.

• Advertisement

As I said, I think we should organise a bit of an evening out in Dublin. Mid-week would probably be best (as people tend to have stuff on at the weekends), also there is not much point in meeting up if people aren't going to be able to talk (i.e. the pub is packed). A few quite pints in the centre of town would be the best job. I think we should just set a date and see who can come, regardless of when we decide it isn't going to suit everyone. And who knows it might become more than a one off. We should make if for a couple of weeks time and see what happens. Should I suggest a date or does someone else want to set the ball rolling.

Aye - sounds good. There was an attempt to do similar last year that never came to anything.

Lead the way Sezier!

well someone has to say it and here goes ... :)

mid week in Dublin = lots of folks outside of Dublin are excluded immediately

don't shoot the piano player here but the last I heard there were MP regulars down in Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Wexford, Galway and other far flung spots on the island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

old gregg wrote: »

don't shoot the piano player here but the last I heard there were MP regulars down in Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Wexford, Galway and other far flung spots on the island.

If all the dubs brought a laptop and internet we could use skype to interact? Only kidding!! Good point in all seriousness there is probably loads of people here from outside the pale..

old gregg wrote: »

These were the issues that arose before ....

I think a lot of people would need a secondary reason to attend - maybe a guest name producer type thing?

I'd also think something like that would be more likely to attract our Culchie Bretheren (of which I am one) to make the trip.

I think there's probably an inevitability about it being in Dublin.

Indeed it is a true thing that you say about the inevitability of Dublin as a location and a wild night out in Dub is something I enjoy on a regular basis so am all cool about that.

Mid week is probably not an option for many outside Dublin who have to work and travel. Personally, I can travel anywhere at any time but I'm just mindful of those who'd have to be at the coal face at 09:00 the next morning with a maybe 500k round trip just to enjoy a few beers and a chance to sing 'Smoke On The Water' outside the kebab house at closing time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Catho, how would Paul have said what he said to you face to face. Would he have shouted it at you before turning away in a hissy fit? Would he have had a big sneer on his face as he spat it out? Or would he have used body language which would have mitigated the "severity" of what he said? I certainly wouldn't be able to say for definite. "Stupid" was definitely an unfortunate turn of phrase, but its not so cut and dry as to be able to make a call on it (in my opinion).

Do you know what? I really really disagree with the concept of meeting up so that we can all get on well here online. Do you know why? Because the rest of boards functions just fine without it. The whole concept of an online community is that you represent yourself through words alone. If you're taken up wrong, then maybe you should consider how you're representing yourself.

And yeah, of course I know plenty of boardies in Real Life, and that adds something to how I read their posts, but it only ADDS something, my reading of their posts is not dependent on it.

You know what else, there's plenty of people I know and like in Real Life that I really don't like on boards and vice versa.

How people choose to represent themselves online is an online persona - it can be quite different to how they are every day, and that's fine, that's their choice, and because boards is ONLINE, thats just the way it is.

I would rather meet up with people for beers (like many other forums do) because I like ye, respect ye, and enjoy your company here, online. If this "meeting up just so I can read posts in the right tone" beers goes ahead, I won't be attending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

It's a frigging internet forum lads, get over your selves. If you don't like it or don't find what you need you could try somewhere else. It's not somewhere that immediately springs to mind for me if I have a question. I like to answer a few questions if I can and use the place to vent and dish out more than my fair share of waffle. Besides, if you want to see real fighting I'd suggest you get out onto usenet and try http://groups.google.com/group/rec.audio.pro/topics and hack it out with Scott Dorsey, Arny Kruger and rest of those boys. Personally, I like a bit of chaos, but that's Boards.ie for ya, people on here want everything run by a bloody committee, some of the other forums are a prime example.

I'd go for a few Boards Beers at anytime. I see more than my fair share of MP users in social and business interactions, I've picked up a few gigs and I've passed a few on. I'm sure there's a few more that I'd know with by their real names too! At the end of the day quite a few users actually do this for a living so to be able to punt for a gig on here would be a good idea, what I won't do is mention money on the forum. I think Damaged's idea could turn things into a very bitter bidding war, I think people are working for way to cheap these days anyway.

BTW for the record I introduced Brewer to this place and I'd also like to point out that he has in fact organised quite a few events where users have been invited to attend, I've gone to some and not others but they have always been of interest to some users and not to others. Personally I enjoy Jeff and Paul's little spats and would miss them on the forum. Both often make very valid points and both have often used their background and experience as leverage in the argument.

As for suggestions, I'd like to see a Live sound sub-forum.

Another suggestion: Wed. night would be a very good night for a meet up, and we could all head down and support Frobishers Wed. Night gig too! Maybe even organise some other members to get up and do their thing!

studiorat wrote: »
    I like a bit of chaos

That is, after all, from where Ideas come.

If things get too square I'll be on me bike anyways ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Damaged's idea could turn things into a very bitter bidding war, I think people are working for way to cheap these days anyway

yup, probably not the best of ideas but definitly the chance of putting ourselves forward for work (without mentioning money) is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

As for suggestions, I'd like to see a Live sound sub-forum.

Another suggestion: Wed. night would be a very good night for a meet up, and we could all head down and support Frobishers Wed. Night gig too! Maybe even organise some other members to get up and do their thing!

Both excellent ideas, I've been meaning to check out the Globe yoke. And a live forum would help immensely.

just to make a point regarding the OT thread.

the front page of the forum tends to have, at any one time, a good few threads which consist of a link or video or whatever recently posted that doesn't actually stimulate any discussion and if it does tends to be personal banter or whatever.

Granted some of these low content posts do start a bit of a discussion but the signal to noise ratio is horrendous (if ya get what I mean).

My real problem with this is that it stifles discussion in other threads as they get pushed to the second page of the forum.

Look at the threads for the past 2/3 days and you'll see what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I've been suggesting MP beers for, well a few years now, but the enthusiasm just never seemed to be there. I think the forum is busy enough now that even with the X% of drop outs there'd still be a few people there. Myself and Fitz have been discussing this too and we'll come with a date very shortly. So hopefully we can get it to finally happen. If you want to come to my night as suggested by studiorat above (it's The Song Room in The Globe on Wednesdays, I'll reserve a large table and you'd all be made feel very welcome). But for the moment I think there are more pressing matters at hand....

Many people on MP lately need to put their egos aside. People should stop trying to be right, or the one who knows best, or the one who has the most amount of righteous indignation. It's all ok, even the things that aren't perfect are improving. Let's just take a deep breath, read the title of this thread, have a cup of tea, go for a walk, re-read the title of this thread and, as a community with a shared interest, cop ourselves the fcuk on.

We all have a single shared interest and it's a beautiful thing. To me music production is my single greatest passion by a long shot. I'm far from an expert but I've given it many years, loved all of it and it's nice to be able to give a little back and learn while doing so. That's one of the reasons I love this place. Boards is a modern Irish phenomenon as far as I'm concerned and I'm proud to help with a small corner of it. But it brings with it it's own challenges that a stand alone music production forum might not. No matter how niche specific some forum users may wish MP to become, we have the reality that we are surrounded by a huge amount of other traffic for which MP isn't their main concern. But people know we are here and as they gravitate into the area they will come to us, possibly with their first ever music production related internet posts. We will ALWAYS have the beginner poster here for that reason. And I believe that if you look over the history of my posts you'll see examples of me defending their right to do so. And that should be encouraged further alongside the high end and more experienced users.

To some people creating music can be about gear, this a modern phenomenon of modern music making. It's not just here, one of the worlds most known and respected music production sites is called gearslutz in honour of this fact! But to me the most important thing is the essence of the joy of music production, whether you are a bedroom noob or a seasoned pro, because it's the one thing we should all have in common.

It seems from recent posts that there is concern for noobs, or the less than full-on pros, or other styles of music production and that they may be getting turned off by clique-iness or a snobbish attitude. I think this needs to stop. But I also think that this consensus may have gathered more energy that it may in reality warrant. You'd be amazed at how quick the knowledge of beginners grows and what one month looks like a clique of know it alls speaking an arcane language suddenly becomes a whole other story and the once-noob becomes someone to whom new posters seem part of the 'in gang.' It's inevitable. It's also inevitable that there will be strong characters, sh1t stirrers, anger merchants, peddlers and keyboard warriors being far braver and ruder online than they would ever be in real life. You need to see through this as it's just a fact of internet life. Some badly needed changes to the charter will empower mods to have more control in this regard.

I think we should leave behind the did-not, did-too's and move onto making the next stage of MP better rather than pointing the finger over the old one. Maybe then we won't need an off topic thread to absorb nonsense? That is my single big suggestion for making things better round here.

I'd like this thread to be the spring board for fresh ideas to find a home in a new and improved MP. So if you are in any way put out by anything I've said or wish to cross reference it to an earlier post or wish to use it to prove your own point or disapprove someone elses etc etc........ please don't. I'm Mr. Transparency but this time round you can PM me if you're that passionate so we can try and keep this thread about Making Things Better.

change is definitely needed round here but its a shame that it only happened because a people wanted to have there own forum.
    its great that people are trying to improve this forum but i also think you guys are just trying to stamp out our request a bit(only a bit mind).
    if the new subforum goes ahead itll eliminate some of the noob and unfriendlyness problems that are on this forum.
    not trying to derail this thread,its a great idea.
    on the whole meeting up thing i can honestly say i take people on how i percieve them on here.it doesnt matter that your online your persona shouldnt change that much,bit braver maybe but still the same.
    basically if i think your a prick on here chances are ill think your a prick in real life.
    i think most people know whos attitudes have to change around here:eek:

agreed. i don't buy the whole 'problem is we haven't met in real life'.

I personally know a lot of boardsies in real life (especially from back in the poker days where there was a massive gang of us who played on nearly a nightly basis in the fitz and were all regular posters).

And tbh, there is no real discrepancy between people's online persona and what they are like in real life, in my experience of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I really don't understand seans problem here. Why waste all this energy on trying to change the forum or start another forum when there's already a forum online for absolutely everything?

For me this forum definitely doesn't tick all the boxes so I just go and try somewhere else.

I think this smart ass comment like who's attitude should change say's more about the poster's issues than who it's meant to be aimed at.

Like I said before I frequently work with dance music as well as rock, choral orchestral all types. My business partner is a regular gigging DJ with a decent profile, I'm pretty familiar with the music and artists, and I can say that neither or us really see any major difference between working in the different musical styles and regularly contribute to each others work. You know, if it sounds like music it must be music.

• Advertisement

I really don't understand seans problem here. Why waste all this energy on trying to change the forum or start another forum when there's already a forum online for absolutely everything?

For me this forum definitely doesn't tick all the boxes so I just go and try somewhere else.

I think this smart ass comment like who's attitude should change say's more about the poster's issues than who it's meant to be aimed at.

Like I said before I frequently work with dance music as well as rock, choral orchestral all types. My business partner is a regular gigging DJ with a decent profile, I'm pretty familiar with the music and artists, and I can say that neither or us really see any major difference between working in the different musical styles and regularly contribute to each others work. You know, if it sounds like music it must be music.
    thats not really the point of the other forum.yes we can all go elsewhere but were trying to keep it on boards where there is a strong irish presence.
    as for attitudes that need to change i think a good few people have thrown up a name with genuine reasons.look at the response from some of the regulars in the question gordon posted.there is a definite superiority complex from some people on here towards dance music
    i personally dont have any real issues with people on here but i know a few who i would have no interest in meeting outside of here(and im sure im not exactly mr popular either)ive no problem with the person in question but alot of people take great offence to paul brewers questionable threads.
    this isnt something i brought up but this is a thread on how to improve the site and a few people feel this would help.dont shoot the messenger

as for it being a reflection on me im happy with that.im not afraid to share my opinion.
    anyway this isnt what this thread is about

seannash wrote: »
    its a shame that it only happened because a people wanted to have there own forum.

Despite my taking the pizz...

If the Dance Boys want their own forum I'd encourage that.
    It will be patently clear in no time if it will work.
    If there are posts it does, if there aren't it doesn't.

If they feel that the general content of MP doesn't appeal then why not?

Vive la différence !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

This thread isn't about promoting the dance music forum. And I'm fed up with the way that keeps being dragged in.

Seannash: Keep it in the appropriate place and read the charter. This is a warning.

frobisher wrote: »
    This thread isn't about promoting the dance music forum. And I'm fed up with the way that keeps being dragged in.

Seannash: Keep it in the appropriate place and read the charter. This is a warning.
    sorry dude.
    im not sure what i did wrong to be honest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

As usual it is assumed that any potenial meet up would occur in Dublin. 75% of the population lives outside Dublin. Can we rename the site Dublinboards.ie and have done with it?

And Frob - you are wielding the mod stick way too heavily. I'm taking a holiday from the forum for a few months. Fed up of the bitching tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement