Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making things better: your input is needed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Is that the sort of info a private poll could bring to light?

Nah...
    here's a compressor, see all its nice knobs..
    and
    This is how you might go about using a compressor..
    See where im going with this?..

Never work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Ok, I'm a lurker, I don't post because I don't have anything of value to add to threads generally, but I really feel like I need add my opinion on this topic.

I believe that there is a general consensus that this forum could do better. Many people are unhappy. I don't like the attitude or direction that many of the threads go, and whatever about other poeple, this puts me off.
    Take today for example: the subjectivity thread was legend for two pages, then it descended into personal digs, off topic twadle, and "back on topic" tongue-in-cheek rubbish. Imagine how useful that thread would have been if it'd continued the way the first two pages had?
    I 100% support jt's suggestion for an off-topic thread where people could just chat - thereby keeping the rest of the threads on-topic and USEFUL.

I think all that missing is a bit of order. Everything gets lumped in together. There is no real focus on the different aspects of production. It's one big room full of people talking about whatever.

I like that.

Think of it as a Luas of Musical Ideas, ya jump on and jump off. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Take today for example: the subjectivity thread was legend for two pages, then it descended into personal digs, off topic twadle, and "back on topic" tongue-in-cheek rubbish. .

agree 100% (even though I didn't behave myself impecably by any stretch). I actually think that whole thread is a perfect embobodiment of the positives and negatives of this forum.

I didn't post it to start an argument. I posted it precisely for what happened in the first two pages. Well we saw what happened after that, and when a poster joins a thread just dying for a row (rich coming from me I know) and behaves like that it ruins it.

• Advertisement

Ok, I'm a lurker, I don't post because I don't have anything of value to add to threads generally, but I really feel like I need add my opinion on this topic.

I believe that there is a general consensus that this forum could do better. Many people are unhappy. I don't like the attitude or direction that many of the threads go, and whatever about other poeple, this puts me off.
    Take today for example: the subjectivity thread was legend for two pages, then it descended into personal digs, off topic twadle, and "back on topic" tongue-in-cheek rubbish. Imagine how useful that thread would have been if it'd continued the way the first two pages had?
    I 100% support jt's suggestion for an off-topic thread where people could just chat - thereby keeping the rest of the threads on-topic and USEFUL.

I disagree - I think it was a pointless thread and has already fizzled out.
    But I think it's good you've posted and hope you'll continue too. More opinions will give this place a bit o fizz!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

I've just delete a load of waffle from this thread.
    Some great ideas have come up here, some valid criticisms, and everything will be taken on board.

A lot of behaviour in the last few days has essentially given direct ideas as to what should be in the new Charter, behaviour we need to stamp out if the forum is going to improve. People have gotten away with certain posts for now, but it's not going to continue. As Rocksham said...a bit of order is needed, and hopefully the new Charter will provide that.

Now, everyone take a few deep breaths and get back to ideas about how to improve things. If someone's already posted a criticism, please just thank that post.
    I don't want any more arguments kicking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    But I think it's good you've posted and hope you'll continue too. More opinions will give this place a bit o fizz!
    wtf?
    so why post on a pointless thread?

It fizzled out because of your arrival. This is a fcukin joke!!!!!

Paul, knock off the antagonism. I've had enough of it.

fitz wrote: »
    Paul, knock off the antagonism. I've had enough of it.

Sorry, unintended as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

That's possible.

I remember thinking a 'Learner slope' within the main forum might be good rather that an entirely separate Forum.

Noobs helping Noobs might be a less than ideal basis for a forum.

Sub-Forums seem to be the order of the day. Some people aspire to a certain standard in their productions, others are happy to throw down a few rough demos. I've found myself somewhere in the middle, and make a point of answering noob questions (because that was me two years ago on a similar forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

Interesting thread this.

I will give my general opinion of the forum without getting into specifics about the construction of it. Neurojazz and others seems to have a great knowledge on the technical side of things , so I wont embarrass myself with my lack of knowledge.

1. This is an Irish MP forum. I see it as a base for the sharing of knowledge and ideas in an informed and civilized way. If I have a particular problem with Protools for example I wouldn't post it here. I would go to the DUC where there is a wide variety of collective knowledge about all things Protools. The same applies to Logic/Cubase etc, they all have there own user groups. That is not to say that if someone posts a specific Protools problem here that I wont chime in if I can help.

2. There are other forums that deal all types of music genres. Gearslutz comes to mind.

3. There is absolutely no point in creating an Irish Gearslutz/PSW/Womb.
    There simply isn't enough people on this board to sustain it.

4. So what does everyone want? I suggest everyone focusses on the mission
    statement or ideals for the forum for a minute ,before discussing technicalities.

5. I will state mine again. A forum where Music Production can be discussed
    in an informed and civilized way. We can actually help each other here you know.

Ireland is a very small country with a tiny music business. There is really no point in bickering about the minutia of the recording process. Nobody, no matter how long they have been doing this knows it all. Also dont discount,
    out of musical prejudice what somebody with a different experience might have to offer.

TelePaul wrote: »
    Sub-Forums seem to be the order of the day.

Yes, it might be the best compromise. Let's see what changes come!

woodsdenis wrote: »
    Also dont discount,

I agree with that bit! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I don't think the forum is in any need of major surgery. One of the main problems is that there's a lot of strong personalities on here… which means lots of personality clashes & a lot of sh1te talk… so it's just like the pub on a Friday night then? :D

Joking aside though, there’s a wealth of experience here & some really good advice has been provided irrespective of peoples’ experience, background or perspectives… and that’s what it’s all about really.

I think it's a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill… if people chill out, live & let live… that will sort out most of the agro. At the end of the day, if you really don't like somebody's opinion/attitude, you can either:

1. Let them wind you up
    2. Just say “feck it, why should I lose sleep over some head on a website?”.

After that, I think bit of housecleaning / organisation will sort out the rest. Rockshamrover said it all really...
    Nobody here is obliged to do anything for anybody else but every day good things happen here and people get helped or pointed in the right direction.

I think all that missing is a bit of order. Everything gets lumped in together. There is no real focus on the different aspects of production. It's one big room full of people talking about whatever.

We need a few Germans around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    I don't think the forum is in any need of major surgery. One of the main problems is that there's a lot of strong personalities on here… which means lots of personality clashes & a lot of sh1te talk… so it's just like the pub on a Friday night then? :D...

LOL - Spot on 100% correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

We need a few Germans around here.

Sie haben einen!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

if you are going to sticky somethings id suggest you delete som e of the stickies in place at the moment.
    rats monthly gear horn has been pretty dead the past while(no offence to studiorat)
    im sure theres a few more that could go too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

I think giving the people the option to have a face to face meeting would be a good thing. As someone who relatively recently joined the forum, I initially didn't know what to make of some people (based on their posts), and having met some of them realised that what could have been interpreted as someone being a bit of an arsehole online just didn't apply in person.

This is the Internet, it is a limited (i.e. written) media. it is very possible to misconstrue stuff or indeed for someone to give the wrong impression with a clumsy post. Also a lot of the posters know each other personally already, which leads to a lot of injokes and banter (as you would expect) which can be kind of off-putting for someone who isn't "in the loop", as it can seem like they are excluded from the loop (which isn't the case in my experience). I would say that some sort of group meeting should be organised to allow people (if possible) to get to know each other in person face. Obviously geographical restrictions would make it difficult for some people to attend, but still and all I think some of the tensions that exist between some people's online personas could be diffused by a face to face meeting.

Don't judge a book by its cover (or indeed a boll*cks by the shade of pube that covers it ...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

^^ yeah, lets have a night in the pub? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

seannash wrote: »
    if you are going to sticky somethings id suggest you delete som e of the stickies in place at the moment.
    rats monthly gear horn has been pretty dead the past while(no offence to studiorat)
    im sure theres a few more that could go too

Its a monthly gear horn, it only happens once a month. It is one of those mysteries of life. Why does the swallow migrate? How do sea turtles navigate their way back to their place of hatching to lay their own eggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

I think the forum is fine the way it is.
    There are probably less than 20 regulars.
    I like coming here and reading all the latest topics regardless of music style etc.
    I hate forums with loads of different sub forums. If I ever visit them I just hit today's posts or new posts so I can see everything without trawling through sub menus.
    Most newbie questions do get answered before the thread meanders off topic so I don't see the problem there. Don't forget that most engineers are creative people with a short attention span:D. That's why we don't have regular 9-5s

maybe fitz could start a thread to see how many regulars there are.something like a roll call.and if people feel theres people missing from the roll call(havent logged in in the past few days or whatever)they could put there names forward.
    be good to see how many people are using the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Hey guys, I post alot on sound on sound like alot of you do so im into forums when i get the chance and i like to help if i can and have a bit of a laugh.

I think a newbie section is a no goer as I think if we all remember what it was like in the beginning and reply to them in a helpful way, they will feel a part of the forum and wont mind posting questions no matter how small.

In regards to posting prices I woul say no as all that will happen is some guy will just undercut ya and it will get ugly?

I think be as positive and helpful as you can and thats your advertising people will come to you if they feel they can work with you and get on with you.

Breaking musical styles is a bit silly for me though I understand what the guys wereon about, I dont produce Dance, but im open to always learn new techniques and again its all knowlege isnt it???? If the subject says something in relation to Dance I therfore can choose to click or not to click and not have to run off to another forum :) pity

I havent seen many clashes on here, but I think if we as adults re-read what we type there should never be a problem. ;)

Laters

Ed

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I think giving the people the option to have a face to face meeting would be a good thing. As someone who relatively recently joined the forum, I initially didn't know what to make of some people (based on their posts), and having met some of them realised that what could have been interpreted as someone being a bit of an arsehole online just didn't apply in person.

You know there are many forums on this site which meet up regularly.
    I've been going to the pub with people from this site since 2002. I've always had a great time.
    Ye should seriously think about meeting up for a few drinks. You'll have a blast. And as you said, once you've met someone in person, talking to them online takes on a whole new angle.

not that id be against the idea but wouldnt meeting up just sort of make it more clicky round here.
    im not saying dont do it.there are some people id like to meet from here in person but i dont think its a solution to changing what some people call the "less than inviting atmosphere" on here
    i would imagine it would be great fun alright

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

There is a click on any forum, I would say to anyone just push through and act as you do, just keep knocking it out of the way :)

love o meet all of ya just dont have the time... maybe the xmas party :) haha

I think there are ways around it. There's a lot of off topic banter on here at the moment that ruins a lot of threads and contributes to the "clique" perception.

Jt's suggestion of an Off-Topic Thread may be a great way to remedy this...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'm also pretty cool with the way things work in MP.

As for a meet up for drinks,etc yep that works for me too. Mayhap it could coincide with Paul's trip to London. Extend it out to an overnight.

• Advertisement

fitz wrote: »
    I think there are ways around it. There's a lot of off topic banter on here at the moment that ruins a lot of threads and contributes to the "clique" perception.

Jt's suggestion of an Off-Topic Thread may be a great way to remedy this...

No - I think this is a daft idea.

If things get all formal all the craic will be gone and so too will the posters.

As TrackMix mentioned - most queries get answered and the wandering starts.... no harm done. It's natural there'll be cliques, some of us know each other.

However anyone's welcome to join 'the clique' .... row in with some good questions or points or a bit of banter and Bob's yer Uncle ..

It will be a dry old place with out that.

However perhaps that's what people want?

Advertisement