Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jesus. It's actually happening....

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Paging Dr.Phil ..

I was chatting about this thread in the real world today

This IS the real world ! In the other one you can say more or less what you like and no one bats an eye lid.

In here you get your commas wrong and the whole place goes nuts ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Savman wrote: »
    I'll have what you're having. Seriously, such an utterly pointless rant, culminated by a nice racist conclusion.

To quote the rock bible:
    "On what day did the lord create krd and couldn't he have rested on that day?"

Racist against who? - The cotton picker or the plantations owners fat daughter.

In Guantanamo bay they give you three choices --- either talk or we'll give you.

1. A good beating with some cut off hose pipes.
    2. Some waterboarding,, with a wet towell and some dirty water.
    0r
    If you think you're tough as ****,,,,,,,,really a ****pig hard core terrorist --- we've got a fat girl with a mini korg

And for anyone snipeing at me -- I still haven't heard one person say "Well,,, Fight Like Apes are actually quite good"

Any suggestions why that's so ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

jaysus, KRD is proper nuts.

although fight like apes are absolutely terrible and i would endure an eternity of The Blizzards before I'd endure more than 1 song of theirs.

Now that's sayin something!!

I think they're pretty good - I liked that Lend me your Face song and as a consequence of your enthusiastic rantings, I had a look at their videos on YouTube which I also enjoyed.

Thanks for putting me onto them ...

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    This IS the real world ! In the other one you can say more or less what you like and no one bats an eye lid.

Sorry I forgot... Some times assembling a sentence is worse then putting one of those flat pack argus things together -- you always end up with a handful of washers and nuts and things, you've no idea where they should've gone :(

Here's some commas I missed out

Some full stops .............................
    and some inverted commas """"""""""""""""""""""""""""
    Some other characters $%£%£*^%*!

Please fit them in where you see fit.

And Am I mad to critisise the children of the rich -- as they might come after me :( --- does that make me mad.
    they're all going to be murdered soon anyway -- by the neo-jacobite forces massing - may aswell get a few digs in while they're still alive ---- there's no point in pissing on anyones grave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

krd wrote: »
    Racist against who? - The cotton picker or the plantations owners fat daughter.

In Guantanamo bay they give you three choices --- either talk or we'll give you.

1. A good beating with some cut off hose pipes.
    2. Some waterboarding,, with a wet towell and some dirty water.
    0r
    If you think you're tough as ****,,,,,,,,really a ****pig hard core terrorist --- we've got a fat girl with a mini korg

And for anyone snipeing at me -- I still haven't heard one person say "Well,,, Fight Like Apes are actually quite good"

Any suggestions why that's so ?

Let's keep the thread on topic. There are other forums for discussing other subjects.

I think they're pretty good - I liked that Lend me your Face song and as a consequence of your enthusiastic rantings, I had a look at their videos on YouTube which I also enjoyed.

Thanks for putting me onto them ...

I actually liked the Youtube stuff,,, because it was really distorted and a bit edgy.

But that's nothing like that when they actually play... They don't even really know their own songs... The guy with the Roland plays some sequence -- for a bout 32 bars -- then the band breaks into 8 bars one chord -- 4 bars another chord -- another 4 bars another chord -- then the <snip> girl starts to "sing" -- then another 8 bars some chord, 4 bars something else ,,,,,,,,,,,,,I don't know -- it's like a <snip> rockschool band thing -- but maybe that's some cool thing they're doing that I just don't get

Sorry for being off topic
    but you'know how these things just drift out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

man this KRD guy is bringing some good entertainment here in the absence of me and brewer going at it.

• Advertisement

I actually liked the Youtube stuff,,, because it was really distorted and a bit edgy.

So now you like them .......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

Well balanced. A chip on both shoulders.

Well balanced. A chip on both shoulders.

Seziertisch -- I used to get upset -- when the children of the rich would laugh a the chips on my shoulder --- They used to say "oh,, look that young man,, he's not wearing the right trainers and jeans --- and --- aaw haaw haaw,,,,, look at those chips of poverty on his shoulders --- aaw haaw aaaw haw"

But it's ok now,,, Seziertisch.... I know exactly what your kind are worth. There's no chips anymore -- just wings :P

Seziertisch -- I used to get upset -- when the children of the rich would laugh a the chips on my shoulder --- They used to say "oh,, look that young man,, he's not wearing the right trainers and jeans --- and --- aaw haaw haaw,,,,, look at those chips of poverty on his shoulders --- aaw haaw aaaw haw"

But it's ok now,,, Seziertisch.... I know exactly what your kind are worth. There's no chips anymore -- just wings :P

Dav, your Post as Boards Poet Laureate may be in Jeopardy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

... You know exactly what my kind are worth? As far as I know you know absolutely nothing about me, and I mean nothing, not who I am, not what my background was or is, absolutely nothing. Also, class in not an issue around here in any shape or form. We are here for a shared interest in music production. We do not care what someone's background is, rich or poor or somewhere in between, this has sweet fa to do with music production.

And whether you were bullied or not by the kids of the rich has nothing to do with Fights like Apes (unless of course they were the ones who bullied you, which they probably weren't). For a man with wings what happened when you were a kid shouldn't be weighing you down like it is, so much so that you feel like going off on one about it on a forum to a bunch of complete strangers. And what's more its the music production forum not even personal issues where it would be somewhat understandable.

Also, if you really do have wings then you shouldn't be going so low as to attack the lead singer of the band band for her personal appearance. Fair enough you don't like their music, but that was a pretty personal attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'd like to ask krd how he knows the families of FLA are rich. seen wages slips have you? know them personally do you?

and again, how you think that girl is fat is beyond me. you must find posh spice attractive.

i've never heard such a badly constructed bull**** argument. lets hear your album then krd, if fla are so ****....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

... You know exactly what my kind are worth?
    Dude, pack away the troll food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

jesus....:rolleyes:
    krd - you can rant all you like about FLA here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055403105

dont think this forum is a suitable place to be throwing around personal attacks on bands.

so how bout them kids getting ripped off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I thought that only happened with apostophies :) btw KRD's rant, what>?

(That arrow thing's ju'st for you Paul)

Oh, and bring the thread back on topic ffs.

Not knowing fla all that well i looked up some pictures. She's not fat. You got a problem maybe.
    Even if she was, the bigger the cushion the better the pushin.

• Advertisement

KRD has been warned.

Any more posts of that nature will not be tolerated and will result in a ban.

We'll let the Apes fight but not us, at least not about stuff that isn't Music Prod :D

As Raindog says

Back on Topic!

I thought that only happened with apostophies :)

Apostrophies, i beg your pardon, It's the drink misspelling.
    ~(and i'm not too sure about that last word....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭drop-dead-legs

all us young bands get forced to play these gigs cause there's virtually nothing else around, even the all ages gigs that dublin underground put on are gonna start being pay to play soon, if all you elder bands think it's such a sham, why not help us out and do better then? put that ****er <snip> outta business and bring a good music scene back to dublin, instead of every band getting ripped off by someone somewhere

all us young bands get forced to play these gigs cause there's virtually nothing else around, even the all ages gigs that dublin underground put on are gonna start being pay to play soon, if all you elder bands think it's such a sham, why not help us out and do better then? put that ****er <snip> outta business and bring a good music scene back to dublin, instead of every band getting ripped off by someone somewhere

Why don't young bands put on their own gigs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I was going to ask the very same questions.. sadly i suspect many bands today expect everyone else to put the effort/time/money in to make them successful :(

20 odd years ago, we used to hire out Youth Clubs for gigs, keep asking down venues for support slots etc, even hire out the venues yourself (there are literally 1000's of pubs in Dublin who ha ve the facilities to have bands play, and most would be dirt cheap to hire).. There is absolutely no reason at all to pay to play in smaller venues, apart from lazyness.

Welease wrote: »
    I was going to ask the very same questions.. sadly i suspect many bands today expect everyone else to put the effort/time/money in to make them successful :(

20 odd years ago, we used to hire out Youth Clubs for gigs, keep asking down venues for support slots etc, even hire out the venues yourself (there are literally 1000's of pubs in Dublin who ha ve the facilities to have bands play, and most would be dirt cheap to hire).. There is absolutely no reason at all to pay to play in smaller venues, apart from lazyness.

I blame X-Factor .... bah humbug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Valcin

I have to agree with the other posters, you should be putting these gigs on yourselves. There are loads and loads of places in every city and town that would allow ye to put on a gig. All ye need is a hall. I used to play in a band in my teens in the mid 90's in a provincial leinster town and every month or so someone would put on a gig. The organisers would usually be 15-17 year olds and all the bands would be the same age. Hundreds of kids would turn up to these gigs and it used to be savage craic. There could be 7 or 8 bands playing on a night in some random hall and it used to happen maybe every second month for years. But then the younger generations didnt bother putting them on and now there are none. I havent seen or heard any young bands playing in my town in years and its a huge shame. I dont have a clue what teenagers now do to amuse themselves.
    It used to be some craic panicking on the day cause we were so ****(we only knew power chords!) but somehow getting a few tunes together that would get a mosh going and blagging your way through the gig.

I know that there was a population boom at that time so there was a lot of teenagers about to have gigs but there must surely be room for gigs like that nowadays. The gigs organised for kids by adults look so sanitised and safe. Theres no edge to them. Ye should definately be organising them yourselves.

All you need to do is get a few of ye together to get a few hundred quid and take a bit of a risk. Im sure that you could do a deal with some hall where you can agree on a share of the door so that you dont have to take a huge risk of renting and not getting enough at the door. Then you only need to pay for the sound which should be only around 200 euro which a few people could get together. A sport club could be a good bet cause its handy for adults to keep an eye on things but they could usually do little about the mayhem. Then spread the word around your friends and away you go.

But then again maybe there is a reason i dont now about that gigs for teenagers dont go on like insurance problems or something like that but there was no drink served at the gigs we used to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I'd have no problem putting on gigs for younger bands.

But I'd have to charge you for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Organise a battle of the bands at your local school and you'd start to get a following / name around... they always help and sometimes the schools help with getting it all sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Blah,blah,blah..

(And there's no real reason for a popstar to be fat -- when there's perfectly good amphetamines available at good prices -- 15 year old boys just do not toss themselves off, running erotic fantasy scenarios of fat rock chicks through their heads -- it just doesn't happen. -- Amphetamine crystal has such a bitter taste -- but may take you where you need to go --- and maybe even might give you that special groove you need)

You could say I'm jealous...... But is it jealousy when a cotton pickin negreo,, resents the plantation owner,,,,,,,,,, and his fat daughter who thinks she's a popstar

Apologies.. Know its a bit old now.. But I'm just reading all this "stuff" now..

Hahaha! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

ICN wrote: »
    Apologies.. Know its a bit old now.. But I'm just reading all this "stuff" now..

Hahaha! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Yes, I have never read such BS as I am reading from this KRD character.

• Advertisement

dav nagle wrote: »
    Yes, I have never read such BS as I am reading from this KRD character.

Yessur!

Its definitely a "make a new profile" time - if ever there was one.

Time to let it lie.

Time to let it lie.

Laid.

I'm interested in the opinions of anyone that took part in it or was witness to it. Are the bands that were taking part happy with what they got? Would they do it again? was there much of a turnout?

Oh, and I'd also organise gigs for the kids, but like Studio Rat, they'd have to pay for the service offered.

To cover costs, not a raping charge.

I'm interested in the opinions of anyone that took part in it or was witness to it. Are the bands that were taking part happy with what they got? Would they do it again? was there much of a turnout?

So would I!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭nehpets5555

Normally, i wouldnt do gigs with the promoter, but for whatever reason, my band were offered a slot with no prepay involved lol .we've done a few gigs with him before, but would really other than performance do others..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

jtsuited wrote: »
    the venue rental cost was tiny (because nobody's using the venue on a saturday afternoon), and because it was an all ages show the venue would make a killing on selling soft drinks.

That statement is just wrong. Venues hate doing all age gigs. Margins on softdrinks aren't enough to justify a) a bunch of kids playing loudmusic and pissing off whatever regulars they would have there on a Saturday afternoon.

and b) the extra insurance costs plus security which would be needed to look after making sure 16year olds didnt sneak drink into the premises.

I know for a fact that some venues would charge anything from 1000-3000 for the privilege of allowing kids on the premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

How much would they have to pay on average?

If you're not expected to bring an audience and are going to play on front of an established audience, then it may be reasonable to have to pay for it. If you're being asked to pay for anything, you have to ask what it is you're paying for and decide whether it's worthwhile or not.

support bands these days have to usually "buy on" to big tours. I'm not saying i agree with it, but it happens at all levels, not just young bands.

Bands could band together and do the thing themselves, in my experience, a lot of bands on stage are kings. Off stage, they're incredibly unreliable and unorganised and worse. Not all, but a lot of them.

I've headlined at gigs that the bands playing had organised, where the other band knew the score. The support band went out and got ****faced with all their mates the night before, turned up late, hungover to the 9's to soundcheck, and feck all of their mates turned up to the gig, being broke or too hungover to attend.

In the end, the gig made a loss of 250 quid i think. Although the organisation of the gig from start to finish was all saying you'd do something and not doing it, and wehat was done was left till the last minute.

To make a major generalisation, a lot of bands expect something for nothing. And expect admiration from all around while behaving like a ****.

I've done sound engineering for gigs, been in a gigging band and promoted some gigs, so i've seen it from a few different perspectives.

+1

If you have a razor and cut your hair yourself does that give you the right to bitch and complain about barbers who make a living at doing that too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

one of my best mates runs gigs used to run gigs every few weeks (its every few months now, were getting a bit older and have less time) He used to work in the venue where the gigs are held, i think all he has to cover is insurance for the venue. Its in a leisure center, their insurance mite cover it, not sure! a guy who runs a instrument shop in the town supplies the pa and does sound, he does it for a very small fee as its great publicity and nearly all the local bands that play there buy most their gear in his shop (partly because of this :) ) Some of our mates would so "security", but there was never an issue as everyone that came was there only for the music.

Its around €8-€10 on the door. bands never have to pay, but they dont get paid either (usualy only a 20-30min set anway) but they get to play to people who actualy listen to them. He never makes much money out of this (has lost money a few times), when sound engineer and "security" is paid for.

another one of my mates runs gigs out of an old farm house in the midlands! great craic, gigs are in a room that is around 20ft x 20ft! cant get much more underground that that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

So looking at the website, it seems as if it was 30 bands as opposed to the 100 initially advertised, so not quite the money maker hoped for by the promoter.

However assuming 30 bands * 30 tickets * €10 = €9,000 there does seem to be a decent possibility of the promoter making a nice wodge of cash for what looks like very little effort. Even assuming that instead of 900 tickets were sold 450 tickets were sold I would still assume a profit for the promoter, given the costs involved.

As for the promotion part of it, I live in Dublin and the only place I saw anything about this was on boards, so it doesnt seem as if much in the way of advertising was done - I didnt see it advertised in any magazines, papers, posters or on any Irish music blogs.

http://www.theperformancelive.com/timetablewhelans28.htm

Advertisement