Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Veganuary 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

23% of new food products in the UK were labelled as vegan in 2019 too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Unearthly wrote: »
    100% no a fad. Had this debate bout 3 years ago on here with people saying veganism will be gone in a few months

Pretty much every metric out there has it growing at a significant rate and has long term potential.

There will always be vested interests out there to crap on it but that's just insecurity/guilt in my opinion

It was a “fad” 4 years ago when I give up meat/dairy. But it’s still a fad. Maybe in another 4 years it won’t be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

100% no a fad. Had this debate bout 3 years ago on here with people saying veganism will be gone in a few months Pretty much every metric out there has it growing at a significant rate and has long term potential.

There will always be vested interests out there to crap on it but that's just insecurity/guilt in my opinion

We I'd disagree. Reckon always be some vegans. Though vegetarians seem to me to likely to remain as a significant group because of religious and cultural influences. Obviously promotions like veganuary will recruit some as well.

But not to digress to far - the CEO of impossible foods is very much a 'vested' interest. And its him making noises about wiping out the competition. Not the other way round. But I've no idea whetger he's insecure or suffers from an other emotional issues tbh. That would simply be projection I'd guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,201 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

Back on topic everyone. Thread is about veganuary 2021 so let's keep it light and friendly as it was intended to be. This was not intended to become farmers vs vegans round 87.

A caution to all posters, report posts that you feel are inappropriate, do not engage on thread. There have been a considerable number of reports this morning, all of which are being looked at.

Gozunda - one month ban

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Anyone noticed a lack of vegan foods in some of the shops? I can’t find applewood cheese anywhere at the moment. The Brexit effect possibly. I was keen to try those jam donuts from Wicked Kitchen but they don’t seem to be in stock

• Advertisement

Anyone else notice a ton of vegan ads on tv now? Mayo, roasts etc.

Great to see. Mainstream ftw :)

I noticed the opposite. Lots of ads for meat and dairy from Bord
    Bia I think. Not the usual brands anyway. I suppose it’s to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

eviltwin wrote: »
    I noticed the opposite. Lots of ads for meat and dairy from Bord
    Bia I think. Not the usual brands anyway. I suppose it’s to be expected.

Since I'm working from home these days I have the tv on in background with ITV and Virgin due to their quiz shows so maybe it depends on the channels

Anyone noticed a lack of vegan foods in some of the shops? I can’t find applewood cheese anywhere at the moment. The Brexit effect possibly. I was keen to try those jam donuts from Wicked Kitchen but they don’t seem to be in stock

What's the cheese like? They have it my local supervalu.
    The aldi burger range that came out came and went, hasn't been back since.

What's the cheese like? They have it my local supervalu.
    The aldi burger range that came out came and went, hasn't been back since.

Amazing. Melts like proper cheese and has a lovely smokey taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

The applewood cheese is very nice. I didn't notice a difference between it and how I remembered the dairy one tasting.

• Advertisement

The applewood cheese is very nice. I didn't notice a difference between it and how I remembered the dairy one tasting.

Is it you that's producing it lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Is it you that's producing it lol?

If only!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

I've used the applewood in vegan cheeze toasties with sun-dried tomatoes/garlic/chilli/Ev olive oil and oregano. Really tasty melted. Not so otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Is the majority of Vegan food imported?

If you mean vegetables and pulses etc, that every eats, vegan or not - yes.
    Why are you asking?

What’s the relevance ?

Some is. Don’t know why that’s a surprise. We import a lot of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

And export nearly all of the beef and dairy we produce. People in glass houses...

You beat me to it. 470,000 tonnes of the 520,000 tonnes of beef produced here is for exportation.

auspicious wrote: »
    You beat me to it. 470,000 tonnes of the 520,000 tonnes of beef produced here is for exportation.

And Irish people still think they’re eating Irish beef. Ha.

Where does all the beef consumed in Ireland come from ?

Yeah, he nearly had us there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

And export nearly all of the beef and dairy we produce. People in glass houses...

Yeah, he nearly had us there!

A guy asks a simple question to a post about shortages of vegan food on shelves due possibly to brexit and these are the responses. Insecure much ? Considering one of ye accused farmers of being insecure ?

NcdJd wrote: »
    A guy asks a simple question to a post about shortages of vegan food on shelves due possibly to brexit and these are the responses. Insecure much ? Considering one of ye accused farmers of being insecure ?

It was a loaded question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

A guy asks a simple question to a post about shortages of vegan food on shelves due possibly to brexit and these are the responses. Insecure much ?

It's from a farmer with history of undermining/ challenging veganism. She's got form.
    Insecure? Vegans are probably the least insecure of any minority. We are secure in our belief and knowing that annually more and more people are taking a better ethical stance and becoming vegan makes it ever sweeter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,201 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Insecure much ? Considering one of ye accused farmers of being insecure ?

Inflammatory rhetoric that adds nothing to the discussion

Everyone else, back on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭emaherx

If you work out from the amount quoted above that is not exported it leaves a shockingly high amount of beef per person. Especially if you account for a certain percentage being vegan, vegetarian or just not liking beef as their source of meat.

It is a simple sum, which I'll not work out here as it would be fairly inappropriate and off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplesnack

Well since the subject of Biodiversity has been mentioned in such a depressing way on here, I'll give you some optimism. I’ve planted so far this month 237 native Irish trees, including a fruit hedge for the local wildlife. Also have ordered from fruithill farm sunflower and phacelia seed for my pollination patches for bees and hoverflies. I'm also going to create about an acre of wildflower meadow but that's still under investigation. Its hard to find good information on native grasses.

Fortunately on the actual meat eating end of things I haven't been able to cut down but I've ordered all my veg seeds for my polytunnel. Have a few nice tomatoe varieties ordered that I'm looking forward to growing them as the variety I grew last year was very disappointing.

Myself and 2 others spent three days over Christmas planting 750 native Irish trees. In my own patch, I have 300 native trees in my boundary hedge, 40 native trees in two groves, two small ponds, one area which I've left go wild, a small wildflower patch, 7 raised beds and a glasshouse for growing my own veg, and all this on a half acre (which I count myself very lucky to have). Vegans do their part for biodiversity too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Myself and 2 others spent three days over Christmas planting 750 native Irish trees. In my own patch, I have 300 native trees in my boundary hedge, 40 native trees in two groves, two small ponds, one area which I've left go wild, a small wildflower patch, 7 raised beds and a glasshouse for growing my own veg, and all this on a half acre (which I count myself very lucky to have). Vegans do their part for biodiversity too.

Fair play to you purplesnack, impressive work there. More of that is needed.

Edit to add, I think people moaning about the state of the environment is the wrong attitude to have. I see it on twitter, in the media and to a small extent on boards. It will not fix things and only makes some people sit back, despair and wait for some grand plan or saviour to come along that will never materialise. Practical steps like what you have done and what others are doing is the only way to go. Everyone, no matter how small or insignificant can make a difference to their local environment.

Fair play to you purplesnack, impressive work there. More of that is needed.

Edit to add, I think people moaning about the state of the environment is the wrong attitude to have. I see it on twitter, in the media and to a small extent on boards. It will not fix things and only makes some people sit back, despair and wait for some grand plan or saviour to come along that will never materialise. Practical steps like what you have done and what others are doing is the only way to go. Everyone, no matter how small or insignificant can make a difference to their local environment.

Couldn’t agree more and biggest and best step we can all take is going vegan.

There is no better way to make a difference to our environment.

Hence the thread and all the people that are exploring vegan options.

emaherx wrote: »
    If you work out from the amount quoted above that is not exported it leaves a shockingly high amount of beef per person. Especially if you account for a certain percentage being vegan, vegetarian or just not liking beef as their source of meat.

It is a simple sum, which I'll not work out here as it would be fairly inappropriate and off topic.

It can’t leave that much if Ireland are annually importing between 30,000 and 45,000 tonnes of beef.

So they are importing nearly as much as they keep from their own production.

So if eating beef in Ireland you’re as likely to be eating imported beef as you are to be eating Irish produced beef.

They are all pretty simple sums too.

• Advertisement

When you think of all the ready meals and processed food that contain beef, a huge percentage of that would come from other countries. The likes of M&S, lidl and aldi etc. sell a lot of that stuff.

Advertisement