Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veganuary 2021

Options
  • 13-12-2020 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭

Almost that time of year. I think we can all agree it's been a brutal year and will be glad to see the back of it, hopefully 21 is better for everyone :)

Looking forward to seeing the new launches in 2021. A few people in work approached me saying they will try it out in January so I'm putting together a list of meals for them plus tips where to buy.

Think the McDonald's burger is due in January. A name I've not heard in a long while but interested to try.

Comments

Unearthly wrote: »
    Almost that time of year. I think we can all agree it's been a brutal year and will be glad to see the back of it, hopefully 21 is better for everyone :)

Looking forward to seeing the new launches in 2021. A few people in work approached me saying they will try it out in January so I'm putting together a list of meals for them plus tips where to buy.

Think the McDonald's burger is due in January. A name I've not heard in a long while but interested to try.

Once its not the shambles of KFC. I remember ordering and them telling me it is cooked with the chicken, it wouldnt bother me too much but i know it defeats the purpose of it being vegan. Also another time i went in and ordered the vegan burger and they said they werent doing it at the time and they were all wearing a t shirt promoting it.

I find the Vegan alternatives have been reducing so hoping the year that was 2020, with pandemic, forest fires, more awareness on the environment that Veganuary will be a massive success in 2021

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Looking forward to it, my sister and several friends became vegan because of Veganuary. I've given 4 friends this "how to go vegan" book I have when they tried veganuary, and all of them are still vegan now. I have their names inside teh cover with a tick for the laugh. I know the guy who founded it and he's just started a vegan fried chicken company in the UK. They get so much products over there for Veganuary that it boggles the mind. It should be pretty good here too. I'll probably be working with deliveroo in dublin showcasing some of the new food and am looking forward to it. Will be great to see whatever there is in supermarkets, and I hope restaurants can still go ahead with a lot of their plans even with these bad circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

https://vegconomist.com/products-and-launches/krispy-kreme-introduces-vegan-doughnuts-for-veganuary/

Seems to be just UK for now.

Everyone went mad for these in Blanchardstown when they launched.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

https://vegconomist.com/products-and-launches/krispy-kreme-introduces-vegan-doughnuts-for-veganuary/

Seems to be just UK for now.

Everyone went mad for these in Blanchardstown when they launched.

I was talking to somebody that works there and their factory is too small here for it, and even in the UK they are just doing online orders for similar reasons.

Looking forward to it, my sister and several friends became vegan because of Veganuary. I've given 4 friends this "how to go vegan" book I have when they tried veganuary, and all of them are still vegan now

What’s the book ?

• Advertisement

The good - only £3.75

The bad - only 1 left

Similar story on Amazon.au

Will hopefully get the chance to buy a bunch of these and send them to interested parties.

Some kind and insightful words

https://youtu.be/gMHH9upnV_Y

Hellmanns have launched 3 new vegan mayos - garlic, chipotle and baconnaise. Spotted them in tesco
    Aldi have also added a new plant menu pizza topped with 'chicken' and vegetables. They also have specials coming up with lots of stuff - marshmallows, nutritional yeast, tofu, sauces etc
    Good to see lots more choice :)

Subway have launched a new vegan chicken range called TLC :)

• Advertisement

Hellmanns have launched 3 new vegan mayos - garlic, chipotle and baconnaise. Spotted them in tesco
    Aldi have also added a new plant menu pizza topped with 'chicken' and vegetables. They also have specials coming up with lots of stuff - marshmallows, nutritional yeast, tofu, sauces etc
    Good to see lots more choice :)
    Heard great things about the mayo! Aldi also have a new vanilla icecream tub and arrabiata pizza. Heinz also released a mayo and a salad cream
    Subway have launched a new vegan chicken range called TLC :)
    A few people I know got this today and said it was great. I love their meatless meatball marinara.

Chicago town are also releasing two new vegan pizzas, a smokey bacon & mushroom and a cheese burger one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Some products are so easily replaceable, like mayo, the Hellmans one is good, and for me I don't miss cow milk at all since using oat or soy if I can't get oat. I think a lot of people would replace these problems with vegan versions if they were more prominent in supermarkets and they thought about where their food came from a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Adli with more new products.

Domino's have launched further vegan products today such as 'chick-ain't' pizza and vegan nuggets ;)

The Booja Booja chocolate they sell in Dunnes (Nourish) is absolutely gorgeous if you need a treat

Yeah they are amazing, love the champagne and espresso ones mmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Booja Booja also have ice cream and its delicious.

It seems to have exploded here in Australia. Meeting lots of people that are really getting in to it. It’s great to see.

I’ll repeat what I’ve said before - there’s so many reason to try it and health seems to be high on the list of reasons for Aussies.

Health, animal cruelty and environmental issues are 3 great reasons for people to stop buying animal products. It’s also great to see whole families getting on board once one of their kin tries it.

It’s also great to see Ireland so high on that list. I’ve been answering quite a few questions from friends and family there too. It’s great to see how much it’s permeated the culture and even in rural Ireland.

• Advertisement

The lovely Jasmine Harman explains why she wanted to break the ‘cycle of suffering’.

https://youtu.be/GppdhldUBTY

Subway TLC is very nice. Would recommend

Good article here on Impossible Foods, I don't think they're available here yet though https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/08/lets-get-rid-of-friggin-cows-why-one-food-ceo-says-its-game-over-for-meat-aoe

I see Rudd's have vegan sausages and black and white pudding in Dunnes now, it's mad that the companies who probably own millions of pigs like Dennys are now branching into this market, if you can't beat them join them I suppose.

Enjoyed that article.

Patrick Brown has some very ambitious plans and you’d have to be careful if you were going to bet against him.

‘No more commercial livestock farming or fishing’

‘I want to put the animal agriculture industry out of business. It’s that simple’

And some sad observations -

‘Cows outweigh every remaining wild vertebrate on land by more than a factor of 10. Just the cows. We’ve literally totally replaced biodiversity with cows. Let’s get rid of friggin’ cows and let nature recover’

Good to see articles like this and hopefully they can make people think twice about their choices.

‘Cows outweigh every remaining wild vertebrate on land by more than a factor of 10. Just the cows. We’ve literally totally replaced biodiversity with cows. Let’s get rid of friggin’ cows and let nature recover’

Those numbers are deeply unsettling to me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I don't doubt the guy wishes to totally get rid of the competition. That would simply mean he could sell more of his products. I see he makes no mention of intensive arable agriculture from which his products are derived.

That said - his claims are not exactly correct imo. It's not 'cows' which have replaced biodiversity. Its humans.

All told there are approx 900 million cattle of all types in the world. There's 7.5 Billion humans and still rising. Quite unbelievable that just over two hundred years ago the world population was just over one billion humans on the planet. .

The increase in urban areas and ancillary agriculture both arable and animal is a function of the increase the need to feed people. Thats not going to change imo. According to the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation - keeping livestock provides a secure source of income for huge numbers of poor people around the world. Doubt they all be able to afford the non inconsiderable costs of Mr Brown's processed products tbh.

Tbh I wouldn't particularly advocate a future where all human food production (whether arable or animal) could be the reserve of just 2 or 3 multibillion corporate conglomerates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

So how's veganuary going for you?

Well since the subject of Biodiversity has been mentioned in such a depressing way on here, I'll give you some optimism. I’ve planted so far this month 237 native Irish trees, including a fruit hedge for the local wildlife. Also have ordered from fruithill farm sunflower and phacelia seed for my pollination patches for bees and hoverflies. I'm also going to create about an acre of wildflower meadow but that's still under investigation. Its hard to find good information on native grasses.

Fortunately on the actual meat eating end of things I haven't been able to cut down but I've ordered all my veg seeds for my polytunnel. Have a few nice tomatoe varieties ordered that I'm looking forward to growing them as the variety I grew last year was very disappointing.

Anyone else notice a ton of vegan ads on tv now? Mayo, roasts etc.

Great to see. Mainstream ftw :)

Anyone else notice a ton of vegan ads on tv now? Mayo, roasts etc.

Great to see. Mainstream ftw :)

Yeah hopefully its not just a fad like many wish it to be

• Advertisement

Yeah hopefully its not just a fad like many wish it to be

100% no a fad. Had this debate bout 3 years ago on here with people saying veganism will be gone in a few months

Pretty much every metric out there has it growing at a significant rate and has long term potential.

There will always be vested interests out there to crap on it but that's just insecurity/guilt in my opinion

Advertisement